Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play, I'm comming AOC!

lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Can't wait to try this game finaly!

Didn't want to purchase this game, maybe I'll get hooked and love the game and want to subscribe tho, who knows!

See you in game!

PS which server do you guys play on?

«13

Comments

  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

    Wiccana is the more populated PvE american server.

    image
  • JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

    I just returned from a very long absence from AoC to give the Unchained FTP a try myself, and am about to graduate from Tortage.

    Game is fun, and looks solid as ever, though a few of the FTP restrictions are a tad excessive (2g max? Really Funcom?). New vanity armor pane adds a much needed feature to the game from level 1.

    All in all, its well worth playing. Though AoC had a very rough time of it in its first year, it has levelled off nicely. I would strongly recommend this game to anyone who is looking for something new to play.

    Hope you enjoy your time ingame!

  • GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

    well I am about to try the new Free format. I played a few months on release and it was nice but bug ridden. I hope it has been cleaned up

    image

  • JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

    Originally posted by Giddian

    well I am about to try the new Free format. I played a few months on release and it was nice but bug ridden. I hope it has been cleaned up

    Most of the glaring gameplay issues at launch seem to have been resolved... but the core mechanics are the same.

    Personally, I always found AoC's mechanics to be quite entertaining, so ill likely mess around on it for awhile. When GW2 or SW:ToR come out though, I will probably jump ship.

  • MyGaronaMyGarona Member Posts: 139
    It's a great alternative to the "same old same old". Truly a shame how they screwed up the launch of this one. AoC is fun, challenging, and now free. Welcome aboard all willing to give it a spin.
  • JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

    Originally posted by MyGarona

    It's a great alternative to the "same old same old". Truly a shame how they screwed up the launch of this one. AoC is fun, challenging, and now free. Welcome aboard all willing to give it a spin.

    It is unfortunate, yea...

    When AoC released, the thing I kept telling people was "Wow! This game has such potential!"

    Unfortunately, Funcom ran it very neatly into the ground over the course of the first two months, and people left en-masse. The MMO genre's customer-base is VERY fickle, and unwilling to put up with any shenanigans in the products they pay for these days...

    The game has improved, and is well worth playing IMHO (both free and pay versions).

  • GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

    now that it free, We will see

    image

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

    wile it is cool that they are making some of the game F2P there will still be quite a few restrictions. the AA feats wont be aveilable, most of the end level content wont be aveilabe, anything above pvp level 5 wont be aveilabe, sieging wont be aveilable unless you pay up. i'm pretty sure you wont be able to do any of the RoTGS content either unless you pay.

    so basically you'll get rolled in pvp and wont really have much to do once you get to end level. still, i guess it's better then nothing. questing and doing the small instances will be pretty much all you can do as a F2P player.

  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,643

    I'm definitely excited to try AoC.  I kept up with their forums at release and was really turned off by how much of a mess it was at that time.  It will take a lot to get me to pony up cash to play the game, but I'll decide that based on my levelling experience.

  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

    The thought of going through Tortage, again, is putting me off the whole idea of giving the game another try.  But I am interested in seeing if the game engine updates have made any difference to the game.  I am also interested to see how Funcom have implemented free to play.  Knowing Funcom I actually doubt much of the experience will be free, but I will reserve judgment until I have played.

     

    I would also be interested to know if those swathes of people on the AOC forum who would quit AOC if it ever went free to play (not that anybody saw this coming over a year ago) have actually left.  Even though my game account has been reactivated my ban on the forum is still in place.

  • lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

    I tried it but it doesn't seem very interesting so far.... I'll give it another shot later today!

  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

    Spent five minutes with it, performance still sucks and things don't work as usual.  They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to make sure the item shop works for example, but still not fixed the issues with things like player searching.  Which overall I find bizarre and I think shows where their focus as a company is based.

     

    Overall the game in itself has a tired and old feel to it.   I wish them the best of luck with it going free to play, but to me it seems like they are trying to flog a dead horse.  To my mind they may have been better retiring the old nag with at least a little bit of dignity.

  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

    Originally posted by fallenlords

    Spent five minutes with it, performance still sucks and things don't work as usual.  They seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to make sure the item shop works for example, but still not fixed the issues with things like player searching.  Which overall I find bizarre and I think shows where their focus as a company is based.

     

    Overall the game in itself has a tired and old feel to it.   I wish them the best of luck with it going free to play, but to me it seems like they are trying to flog a dead horse.  To my mind they may have been better retiring the old nag with at least a little bit of dignity.

    I didn't have any performance issues, runs pretty smoothly at least for me, the player searching thing I don't get, you mean 'LFG' tool or such, what issues do you mean exactly?

    As for the game and player activity, they're still doing a hell of a lot better than a lot of other MMORPG's that are still around, so I'm pretty doubtful why they should close the game down, it's still looking better than most MMO's with gameplay and combat that ranks among the best and most fun in MMO's.

    Besides that, with a new hardcore PvP server, a Conan movie and Turan content linked to that appearing, I even think it'd be pretty stupid to retire the game right now.

    The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

    The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,596

    Originally posted by marzatplay

    Wiccana is the more populated PvE american server.

    Both PvE servers are equally populated.

     

    Wiccana has a bigger RP crowd.

    Set is the more common "normal" PvE.

     

    "My Fantasy is having two men at once...

    One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

    ---------------------------

    "A good man can make you feel sexy,

    strong and able to take on the whole world...

    oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."





  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

    Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

    I didn't have any performance issues, runs pretty smoothly at least for me, the player searching thing I don't get, you mean 'LFG' tool or such, what issues do you mean exactly?

    As for the game and player activity, they're still doing a hell of a lot better than a lot of other MMORPG's that are still around, so I'm pretty doubtful why they should close the game down, it's still looking better than most MMO's with gameplay and combat that ranks among the best and most fun in MMO's.

    Besides that, with a new hardcore PvP server, a Conan movie and Turan content linked to that appearing, I even think it'd be pretty stupid to retire the game right now.

    AOC performance compared to other games I have never been able to figure out. While every other game I own runs well AOC runs badly via DX9 or DX10.  I had hoped that the game engine update would have resolved some of the previous issues but at a glance I saw no improvement.

     

    As for player searching it doesn't show the right results,  it does things like limit the number of results. To save load on the database I last heard.  What the excuse is now I don't know, but I ran searches and it didn't pickup on people I was standing next to even though I selected the right area etc. 

     

    The new movie is a great opportunity for Funcom to capatalise but do you honestly believe this company is capable of utilising this to their advantage?   Funcom have gone free to play because they just want to sell as much crap in the on-line store as they can and hope the movie will bring in the fans to buy the crap. For a long time now I don't think Funcom have had any interest in AOC as they only seem concerned with The Secret World. So part of me wants free to play to be a success in terms of player numbers,  population etc.  Then the other part of me kind of hopes it isn't a commercial success because I just don't think Funcom deserve it with this game.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the success of the film brings then a nice little earner with the minimal amount of effort on their part.

  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

    Going free to play doesnt make a game good.

    Thats the problem with AoC, Its not very good. its kind of like WAR it had so much potential but fell way short of the mark.

    I get that people get excited for free stuff but the quality simply isnt there in AoC.

    Playing: Nothing

    Looking forward to: Nothing 


  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

    Originally posted by fallenlords

     As for player searching it doesn't show the right results,  it does things like limit the number of results. To save load on the database I last heard.  What the excuse is now I don't know, but I ran searches and it didn't pickup on people I was standing next to even though I selected the right area etc. 

     

    The new movie is a great opportunity for Funcom to capatalise but do you honestly believe this company is capable of utilising this to their advantage?   Funcom have gone free to play because they just want to sell as much crap in the on-line store as they can and hope the movie will bring in the fans to buy the crap. For a long time now I don't think Funcom have had any interest in AOC as they only seem concerned with The Secret World. So part of me wants free to play to be a success in terms of player numbers,  population etc.  Then the other part of me kind of hopes it isn't a commercial success because I just don't think Funcom deserve it with this game.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the success of the film brings then a nice little earner with the minimal amount of effort on their part.

    Ah, you mean that one? Heh, yeah, it's capped, but AoC isn't the only one: I've been doing player population counts from time to time in several MMO's and most of them have some player count caps, LotrO has iirc at 50 persons just like AoC, EQ progression server at 20, Rift, Aion, etc.

     

    Well, as for hoping or guessing what the success will be, it's hard to say, but the F2P move, the recent content update, a new hardcore PvP server with different ruleset and the upcoming Turan content update, all this within 2-3 months, that's quite a lot of changes I think, it doesn't show that FC has no interest in AoC.

    I mean, look at Vanguard or SWG at the SOE side, and you'll see how no interest by a company in the MMO they own can look like. FC has even been doing more changes and content around the F2P period than Turbine showed with LotrO.

    But, like I said, we'll see how things will go in the next few months image

    The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

    The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

  • reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

    Something tells me my lvl 80 guardian I created the first day and played only the first 2 months on is long gone... so...

  • TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

    Originally posted by fallenlords

    Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

    I didn't have any performance issues, runs pretty smoothly at least for me, the player searching thing I don't get, you mean 'LFG' tool or such, what issues do you mean exactly?

    As for the game and player activity, they're still doing a hell of a lot better than a lot of other MMORPG's that are still around, so I'm pretty doubtful why they should close the game down, it's still looking better than most MMO's with gameplay and combat that ranks among the best and most fun in MMO's.

    Besides that, with a new hardcore PvP server, a Conan movie and Turan content linked to that appearing, I even think it'd be pretty stupid to retire the game right now.

    AOC performance compared to other games I have never been able to figure out. While every other game I own runs well AOC runs badly via DX9 or DX10.  I had hoped that the game engine update would have resolved some of the previous issues but at a glance I saw no improvement.

     

    As for player searching it doesn't show the right results,  it does things like limit the number of results. To save load on the database I last heard.  What the excuse is now I don't know, but I ran searches and it didn't pickup on people I was standing next to even though I selected the right area etc. 

     

    The new movie is a great opportunity for Funcom to capatalise but do you honestly believe this company is capable of utilising this to their advantage?   Funcom have gone free to play because they just want to sell as much crap in the on-line store as they can and hope the movie will bring in the fans to buy the crap. For a long time now I don't think Funcom have had any interest in AOC as they only seem concerned with The Secret World. So part of me wants free to play to be a success in terms of player numbers,  population etc.  Then the other part of me kind of hopes it isn't a commercial success because I just don't think Funcom deserve it with this game.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the success of the film brings then a nice little earner with the minimal amount of effort on their part.

     You are werry misinformed. AoC is werry high perority for Funcom, and the have a large team working on AoC improvements and patches. There has been alot of co-operation between Funcom and the team that is making the Conan movie. A large playfield with a number of dungens is to be lanched i august when the movie is lanched.  This expantion/large patch is based on the movie. A large problem for AoC has been the low population lvl upp from 1-80. This has put of new players from playing. Freemium has been good for games like LOTRO and hopefully it will be the same for AoC. And what gamecompany dont whant to make money of a game, that the can make more content for and make it a proud flagship for this relatively smal company. TSW is comming along great and hopefully will lanch with a lot less tech problem as the new game engine has been tested on AoC. And if you dont have the HW to run the game realy stop the trolling, this game has high HW requirements becouse it is the best loocking AAA MMORPG ATM. And people are all free to shop what they whant. The game restrictions is not wors than any othe freemium game.

  • TSWBETAROGSTSWBETAROGS Member Posts: 196

    Originally posted by reillan

    Something tells me my lvl 80 guardian I created the first day and played only the first 2 months on is long gone... so...

     Log in and se if he is there. Becouse og server merges you might need to change name and select new server for free.

  • trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

    My launch characters were still there.

     

    The game is a good game period. There is no more issues than any other mmo out there and it runs great ( better than ever)  for me on my old machine with the graphics cranked up to high - smooth and no problems. AOC could have been should have been...yes. So should have so many games, however it's still fun to play ( if you aren't the type of person who needs a game to be something you devote your whole reason for exsisting on ) and now to be able to try it for free it's a no brainer to try it for a first time or come back to enjoy it again. I love just killing stuff in this game it's rewarding enough :)

  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

    Originally posted by TSWBETAROGS

     You are werry misinformed. AoC is werry high perority for Funcom, and the have a large team working on AoC improvements and patches. There has been alot of co-operation between Funcom and the team that is making the Conan movie. A large playfield with a number of dungens is to be lanched i august when the movie is lanched.  This expantion/large patch is based on the movie. A large problem for AoC has been the low population lvl upp from 1-80. This has put of new players from playing. Freemium has been good for games like LOTRO and hopefully it will be the same for AoC. And what gamecompany dont whant to make money of a game, that the can make more content for and make it a proud flagship for this relatively smal company. TSW is comming along great and hopefully will lanch with a lot less tech problem as the new game engine has been tested on AoC. And if you dont have the HW to run the game realy stop the trolling, this game has high HW requirements becouse it is the best loocking AAA MMORPG ATM. And people are all free to shop what they whant. The game restrictions is not wors than any othe freemium game.

    In my opinion Funcom will funnel enough resource into the game to meet whatever obligations they have contracted for, but I doubt they will do anything more.  The Conan movie has been talked about for a long time even involving people like John Milius at one point. Not once did I hear anything about Funcom and their involvement until the 11th hour.  So how close their co-operation in this project is I don't know.  Seems to me like they have suddenly realised a new Conan movie is due for release.

     

    The issue I have with AOC that I don't have with other MMO's is AOC could have been a world beater, if it had been steered in the right direction.  But rather than play to it's initial strengths like PVP these areas where ignored for what I term as 'fluff'.  Content that nobody wants, nobody requested, but for some reason the GD thought was a good idea.   Funcom have never listened to their users and they had a golden opportunity to produce what could of been a great game. 

     

    Their new skirmish into free to play I don't know if it will work. Personally I see it as quite a cold move to get what remaining cash they can get out of the game.  Their financial report stated they will have a negative cash flow situation until the expected success of The Secret World.  Are they really going to invest time, energy and money into a game that is teetering on the edge of oblivion?  Or are they going to plow as much resource as they can muster into making The Secret World a success.  

     

    As for hardware, my hardware is more than adequate to run AOC.  But for some reason AOC doesn't want to play ball.  The only limitation I still have which might cause issue, for the memory munching game engine, is that I still have a 32 bit OS.

    Side note with regard to Hardware - AOC worked better for me on my old machine with a single cpu and a 256mb graphics card when AOC was version 1.6.  I started getting problems when I upgraded hardware to better configurations, multiple cpu's, dual graphics cards etc etc.

  • ToolfanToolfan Member UncommonPosts: 80

    You're entirely wrong about the movie.

    atleast 4-6 years ago when the idea for the movie was being floated around Paradox who holds the rights REH's material of Conan handed the movie rights to Robert Rodriguez and Lionsgate. Before they made their decison Rob Zombie was also in talks about obtaining the rights to make the new Conan. The only involvement John Milius has on this movie was that he was openly upset about paradox's decision and refered to Rob Zombie (if he obtained the rights) turning the character of Conan into a murderer.

    As far as Funcom's involvement. From what I know being a 1st year subscriber to AOC which got me into reading REH's works and following the movies development. Funcom has been involved with the movie from the start. The art director for the game I believe is also the same artist who worked on the movie. After seeing the trailers, the environment and the armor in the movie, they do hold some resemblance.

     

    Originally posted by fallenlords

     

    In my opinion Funcom will funnel enough resource into the game to meet whatever obligations they have contracted for, but I doubt they will do anything more.  The Conan movie has been talked about for a long time even involving people like John Milius at one point. Not once did I hear anything about Funcom and their involvement until the 11th hour.  So how close their co-operation in this project is I don't know.  Seems to me like they have suddenly realised a new Conan movie is due for release.

     

  • just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

     I'd been wanting to give this game a try for awhile now.. but was a bit disapointed in how it ran for me (not that I was surprized by that either lol).

     The video/graphic options are so sparse, if only there were a few more sliders and check boxes I could have enjoyed it beyond the first 15min :(

  • LuckyDuckyLuckyDucky Member UncommonPosts: 268

    Originally posted by just2duh

     I'd been wanting to give this game a try for awhile now.. but was a bit disapointed in how it ran for me (not that I was surprized by that either lol).

     The video/graphic options are so sparse, if only there were a few more sliders and check boxes I could have enjoyed it beyond the first 15min :(

    I don't think you ever found the advanced graphics options.

    "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

Sign In or Register to comment.