Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hall of Monuments

JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72
I just have a quick question about hall of monuments. I have the Original Guild Wars but never got around to getting past level 10, it has nothing to do with the game, it just isn't my cup of tea. My question is, when GW2 comes out am I going to be at a large disadvantage if I am lacking some of those achievements from Guild Wars?

On that same note is there a resource like a book that I could catch up on the lore of the original so I have a better understanding of the settings and characters in GW2?

Thanks for any information guys!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

This question has been asked many times so I'm just going to give you the short answer, but searching on these forums or on google will give you some more detailed info.

No, you will not be at a disadvantage. Most of what makes gear 'powerful' in GW2 will come in how it's customized, through runes and enhancements and such, which was done to allow people to equip gear more to ~look~ the way they want without having to sacrifice stat points. The equipment we'll be getting through Hall of Monuments is almost purely aesthetic, it's just a nod of the head to those who came from Guild Wars 1 and achieved something there. That is all :)

EDIT: BTW About the book thing, there are 3 books out atm that give some history of the time after Guild Wars 1, but the time before Guild Wars 2 (the fourth, iirc, will take place during GW2). You can read those if you want to see how the world has changed, why it changed, and who the main characters are and their significance (Jennah, Logan, Rytlock, Caithe, Eir, etc). For Guild Wars 1 lore, your best bet is the wiki. It has all the lore, and even all the quest text, so you can just read through all the spoken dialogue of the missions to learn what happens, rather than play.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The rewards through the hall of monuments are nearly, if not purely asthetic. After a month, if not a week, players will have gotten so much stuff like nice armors etc., no one will care about the rewards anymore i'd say.   About books:

There are 3 books specifically covering the 250 year gap between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, with the main focus on the events right before Guild Wars 2:

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Ascalon-Matt-Forbeck/dp/1416589473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309484512&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-J-Robert-King/dp/1416589600/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309484512&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Sorrows-Ree-Soesbee/dp/1416589627/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309484862&sr=1-10] (not yet available)

Both books released so far are available as ebook aswell.

Most if not all of the major characters in Guild Wars 2 should at least be mentioned, many of them are the main protagonist of the books.

You can also find a huge amount of lore on the Guild Wars 2 blog, though it's more about races as a whole, not specific characters.

Both official wikis

wiki.guildwars.com

wiki.guildwars2.com

cover lore aswell. Especially the events and characters from the original Guild Wars are covered, as much is not yet know about Guild Wars 2. All information available in the books or on the blog etc. is available on the respective articles on the Guild Wars 2 wiki though, as many people who edit on the wiki did read them. So if it's not on the wiki, one can say nobody outside ArenaNet knows it yet.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72
    Thanks a lot guys. I'm downloading the books for iPad right now. Appreciate the input!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien