Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP-Server - constant harassment?

124»

Comments

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by UnleadedRev

Its called "Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning".

Best PvP MMORPP ever made, when there is a population.

I had fun with WAR. and I spent a fair amount of time in the PvP zones and in the instanced scenarios. I think I did far more PvP in that game than I ever did quests.

PvP done right can be a lot of fun and add extra dimensions to the game. PvP done wrong, however, is just an exercise in frustration.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Originally posted by yevgenii

I don't understand why people haev such trouble with the PVP concept. If you are willing to play on a PVP server, that means you are by proxy accepting the fact that griefing may be an everyday occurence. But playing on a PVP server means you should be ready to whip out some consumables in case you attract attention while questing, or be in your pvp gear/build, and have situational awareness. If you are not willing to do these things, PVP servers aren't for you. Also, people will be mean. Its fun to gank people when they're questing (admit it) and its okay, because its a game and you aren't harming them and this is why you pay your 15 a month.

I PVP a lot. I also gank. I gank a lot. I'll camp someone lower level than me, sometimes for hours (literally) and run through a town full of guards just to kill them one more time, even if it means I'll die to the guards. I'll call up a buddy to come and hunt him down again, and will do this to anyone, no matter what level. I'll take them out when they're fighting mobs, afk, whatever. I pay money to be able to do this, and I play on PVP servers to do this. If you aren't willing to deal with people like me, then maybe the ruleset isn't for you. No change is needed - to me, red=dead and this will never change.

Rolling on a PvP server doesn't give you a license to be a douchebag.  The main problem with PvP servers these days is that players use the ruleset to excuse their pathetic behavior.

When i played WoW, i justified every pvp action by the following: They are the oposing faction, we are at war, they must die.

(as the title and lore would suggest "World of Warcraft"?)

So thats how i viewed it, if they are red no matter what the lvl i would engage them. (At this point i would like to point out that all this pvp happened naturally while i was exploring the game world on a pvp realm and not by camping the starting area ect..)

Ive attacked lowbies, ive attacked lvl 80's even winning against a ressick one once (60-80) and ive lossed alot. Didnt actually "lose" anything tho, which is key here, the only thing you actualy lose is your "pride" in this game, In contrast to something like eve online.

SWTOR:

I fully intend to have this mentallity with my sith character on swtor, opting for a pvp server i wana "Roleplay" what a sith would actually be like imo a "cold hearted killer" with a haterd for jedi. and really, Why cant i be immersed with my character? they are gona give me all the tools to promote it (VR,Darkside points,valor points)ect..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Rolling on a PvP server doesn't give you a license to be a douchebag.  The main problem with PvP servers these days is that players use the ruleset to excuse their pathetic behavior.

I have to disagree here.  If the game rules do not prohibit certain behaviour then they in fact give the players the license to engage in that behaviour.   I specificly avoid PvP servers because I realize that the douchebags there will have more power over me than I am comfortable with.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

if open pvp was like the old days in UO, the gankers would have to change spots to keep griefing on lowbies.

When i got multiple ganks in UO i just went to the bank and hired me a pkk or i asked some guildies to come gank this guy instead.....those were the fun days......BUT the pvp'rs in those days had to worry about losing their gear so they were more carefull.

The fact that nothing is lost in modern pvp makes them not care if you kill them too (this makes them the DBags they are today).......spice it up.....if you are SO hc pvp then play games that have full loot instead of a wow pvp server where you got nothing to lose imho.

myself i dont play pvp anymore.....since people started griefing players for hours i just started to play pve servers instead and let the "HC" pvp server die a slow death.....imho they brougth it upon themselfs.

So griefing and camping dont bother me anymore.....no more frustrations for me :)

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

I like open pvp servers, the way to battle "harassment" is to make some friends and go deal with the problem yourself. The only people that have these problems are ones that are soloers and refuse to make any in game friends. Usually a ganker/griefer gets dealt with soon, or it escalates to an all out war. Both situations i'm a fan of, i'd never play a non open pvp game, it's just lame. 

- anyone that complains should stick to pve and not ruin it for the rest of us. 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Originally posted by yevgenii

I don't understand why people haev such trouble with the PVP concept. If you are willing to play on a PVP server, that means you are by proxy accepting the fact that griefing may be an everyday occurence. But playing on a PVP server means you should be ready to whip out some consumables in case you attract attention while questing, or be in your pvp gear/build, and have situational awareness. If you are not willing to do these things, PVP servers aren't for you. Also, people will be mean. Its fun to gank people when they're questing (admit it) and its okay, because its a game and you aren't harming them and this is why you pay your 15 a month.

I PVP a lot. I also gank. I gank a lot. I'll camp someone lower level than me, sometimes for hours (literally) and run through a town full of guards just to kill them one more time, even if it means I'll die to the guards. I'll call up a buddy to come and hunt him down again, and will do this to anyone, no matter what level. I'll take them out when they're fighting mobs, afk, whatever. I pay money to be able to do this, and I play on PVP servers to do this. If you aren't willing to deal with people like me, then maybe the ruleset isn't for you. No change is needed - to me, red=dead and this will never change.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

If you want a true hard fight for your life PvP environment: In addition to a free to play model, Age of Conan is now launching their new hardcore PvP server Thursday morning July 7th. Everyone starts on a level playing field.

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=234792

• BelightBelight Member Posts: 73

It's pretty retarded that people here actually claim that other players are the core problem with Player Vs Player. You expect people to follow an honor system? You expect them to play like you? Want the same things as you? Immerse themselves in the same manner as you? Show you the respect you think you deserve? That's just plain silly and lacking in foresight...

The problem with PVP lies in the game mechanics themselves. WoW was not built for PVP, it is an after thought. They created a PVP server ruleset but that doesn't change the fact that the game has shit mechanics for PVP. If you are even able to spawn camp someone in the first place, then the game has a dumbass mechanic implemented.

No alignment system, no risk vs reward, no tools for hunting or detering griefers, no diplomacy skills, and on and on. These things are the problem. Not people's behavior. You can't have good without evil. PKers and griefers are filling a necessary role that exists even in today's real human world. Did the Nazi's fight fair and play nice when they invaded Poland and killed hundreds of people a day? No, it was war and it was on their terms. Now, would we have had a bunch of badass war heros who kicked some Nazi ass if the Nazi's never existed? Nope. I'm not justifying their actions, but in a game a bad guy is necessary for the hero to exist.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I've rarely been constantly harassed, but I really have enjoyed being corpse camped since I figured out how to make macros to rez myself. Set it up and go, play another game, eat something, play guitar, whatever. Time it, come back and see how much time of the camper's I've wasted.

My favorite was when someone figured out waht i was doing, "you keep running the same exact way every time. This is just a freakin macro isn't it?"

After their long rage, I switched to my main and corpse camped them.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Belight

Did the Nazi's fight fair and play nice when they invaded Poland and killed hundreds of people a day? No, it was war and it was on their terms. Now, would we have had a bunch of badass war heros who kicked some Nazi ass if the Nazi's never existed? Nope. I'm not justifying their actions, but in a game a bad guy is necessary for the hero to exist.

I am pretty sure that any sane person would agree that if the Nazis were 'banned' right at the start of the 'game' everyone else involved would have had a much more enjoyable time without them and could have done some much more productive things with their 'game time'.   Most of those heroes would have preferred it that way as well.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Torik

Originally posted by Belight

Did the Nazi's fight fair and play nice when they invaded Poland and killed hundreds of people a day? No, it was war and it was on their terms. Now, would we have had a bunch of badass war heros who kicked some Nazi ass if the Nazi's never existed? Nope. I'm not justifying their actions, but in a game a bad guy is necessary for the hero to exist.

I am pretty sure that any sane person would agree that if the Nazis were 'banned' right at the start of the 'game' everyone else involved would have had a much more enjoyable time without them and could have done some much more productive things with their 'game time'.   Most of those heroes would have preferred it that way as well.

Your probably right, But if that never occured we wouldnt have advances such as the industrial engine. war promotes scientific progress. how does this relate to the thread?: -->

Think about that when pvp "randomly" occurs..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

Problem is, PK is pretty much consecuence free... in some cases you lose a bit of exp, in other cases you can drop X item, most times a bit of both.

When you have an enviroment thats consecuences free, you will have douches taking advantaje of that, its just the way it its and the only solution is the implementation of real penalties, like hours of jail time, stats decrease for days, or maybe even the possibility of perma death if you are a known criminal and get killed/captured.

When you have real consecuences most people will think it twice before killing lower level players just for laughs.