Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving to Europe...

ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

So in a few months I'll have enough money saved up, and I'll be finished with college, and I'm wanting to move to somewhere in Europe.

 

So far I've considered Sweden, Norway, France (but I really don't like the idea of their squat toilets) and Luxembourg.

Another place I've been looking into is Argentina, as I hear it's quite a beautiful place, and one of the most developed in South America.

 

Is anyone else familiar with these places, or live there? I'm just wanting to get an idea of what they are like, outside of reading tourist pamphlets (how are things socially, economically, how do I obtain citizenship, etc).

 

Thanks much,

Z

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

Comments

  • Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

    Do your reasearch ...be sure what living standards and activities you like to do and if they are available or legal in the country you want to move to.."sometimes it is not always greener in the other pasture",and a lot of those times media or propaganda is to blame.

     

     edit* just remembered..consider language problems if you cant speak the official language of that country...Also some countries may feel neutral to almost hatred toward Americans due to their media portrayals in those countries(this would be very important to myself as it can get you attacked or even murdered)

  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

    Try Greece.  Things are really going great there right now.

  • AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

    Originally posted by Scubie67.

    Also some countries may feel neutral to almost hatred toward Americans due to their media portrayals in those countries(this would be very important to myself as it can get you attacked or even murdered)

    Not really..

    ?

  • Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

    Originally posted by AkaJetson

    Originally posted by Scubie67.

    Also some countries may feel neutral to almost hatred toward Americans due to their media portrayals in those countries(this would be very important to myself as it can get you attacked or even murdered)

    Not really..

      Syria,Iran,Somalia,Libya etc....

  • AkaJetsonAkaJetson Member Posts: 1,167

    Originally posted by Scubie67

    Originally posted by AkaJetson


    Originally posted by Scubie67.

    Also some countries may feel neutral to almost hatred toward Americans due to their media portrayals in those countries(this would be very important to myself as it can get you attacked or even murdered)

    Not really..

      Syria,Iran,Somalia,Libya etc....

    Thought you were talking about European countries.

    ?

  • Scubie67Scubie67 Member UncommonPosts: 462

    Originally posted by AkaJetson

    Originally posted by Scubie67

    Originally posted by AkaJetson

    Originally posted by Scubie67.

    Also some countries may feel neutral to almost hatred toward Americans due to their media portrayals in those countries(this would be very important to myself as it can get you attacked or even murdered)

    Not really..

      Syria,Iran,Somalia,Libya etc....

    Thought you were talking about European countries.

     I just was saying in general, plus he mentioned Argentina

  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

    Due to polls, in Sweden and Norway live the happiest people of Europe. Nice, open minded people, stable economy and political system. Lots of Scandinavians speak English. So it surely is to be recommended. ^^ Can be a bit lame, so if you are young and seeking more excitement, try Berlin.

     

    I'd treat you for a coffee if you decide to come to Berlin. ;)

    People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

    Berlin (buzzing [sub]culture, huge party events, good job perspectives and fairly inexpensive in comparison to other megacities), prejudices aside, Germany, especially urban areas, are very open minded... Plus Germany has one of the lowest crime rates in the whole world while being a densly populated and multicultural country...

    I've been living in France for some months; It's a litte on the rednecky side once you leave the perimeter of Paris or other larger cities. People are generally friendly though very rooted in local traditions. Paris features lots and lots of possibilities to see and do things, especially when you're interested in cultural events, but is expensive, to say the least. Living in Paris is hardly affordable unless you've got a _really_ well paid job.

    Scandinavian countries are 'nice', safe, clean, friendly, but erm... well, they're not the height of social interactionism. There are vast areas with nothing but lakes and forests, more lakes and more forests and did I mention, lakes and forests? Been to Oslo twice so far though, loved the city, the pittoresque charme of it. Still a little on the sleepy side compared to London, Paris or Berlin...

    I've only been to London on vacation so far, so I didn't get a feeling of how the nightlife and event situation was back then (2004). The only thing I could tell was that everything was also extremely expensive to a point where I was literally laughing in front of the liquor shelf. 

    Can't say anything about living in Spain, Italy or other mediterranean countries. Been there for beach holidays multiple times but never bothered to stay longer. Can't stand the heat.

    Generally, alcohol is cheapest in eastern europe, gasoline is expensive everywhere, best infrastructure is in central europe (france, germany, switzerland, austria), medical support is US-standard in the whole of western europe, living is cheapest in eastern europe...

    I'm comparing to California and Washington State, I've lived in Sacramento and near Seattle for 6 months.

    M

    EDIT: Economically largely depends on what you want to work as. Most countries in the world welcome specialists, like engineers, doctors, scientists or IT-people with open arms. If you wanna do a blue-collar job or "get by somehow" while doing burgers at McDonalds, the obstacles for attaining a work permit are probably higher. 

  • EtherougeEtherouge Member Posts: 514

    Definitely somewhere in Scandinavia.

  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

    Don't bother coming to Europe if your poor.

  • melmoth1melmoth1 Member Posts: 762

    Mate come to Scotland!

    We are an awesome country.

    Do you like Game of Thrones?

    Winterfell is basically Scotland and we have amazing dark ales, too.

    If you have any questions about coming to Scotland then pm me. We welcome you mate.

     

    Regards

     

    Melmoth

  • generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

    Originally posted by Zolgar

    So in a few months I'll have enough money saved up, and I'll be finished with college, and I'm wanting to move to somewhere in Europe.

     

    So far I've considered Sweden, Norway, France (but I really don't like the idea of their squat toilets) and Luxembourg.

    Another place I've been looking into is Argentina, as I hear it's quite a beautiful place, and one of the most developed in South America.

     

    Is anyone else familiar with these places, or live there? I'm just wanting to get an idea of what they are like, outside of reading tourist pamphlets (how are things socially, economically, how do I obtain citizenship, etc).

     

    Thanks much,

    Z

    Well i have never been to norway nor sweden but from what i hear it's cold and the booze is extremely expensive.

    Personally it wouldn't be a choice for me because of the climate.

    When it comes to france. Well it depends where in France you go, the stereotype of the arrogant frenchman is real in certain areas. Also mind that the french aren't that good with languages. While you might actually succeed in communicating in English in Sweden or Norway in France , well... good luck. (do mind it again depends on where you go i guess in a very big city like Paris it is doable).

    Than comes Luxembourg. It's small, that's all that i can say, ppl from luxembourg are ok and it's a wealthy country.

    What you also need to take into account are your political ideologies and what you actually want to do there. Are you seeking to start a business? big carreer? just small peaceful job ?

    Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,344

    Germany and most of Eastern Europe would probably be more ideal then Western Europe.  Most of Western Europe is going to face soveriegn debt crisis' soon.  German and English are very similar languages.

  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

    if you want to look at beautiful women, then Sweden it is : )

    Everything else is just "lagom" (wich mean "just the right amount of").

  • KEVINSTONEKEVINSTONE Member Posts: 6

    you might want to give a bit more information as to what your persoality type is so we can help point you in the right direction but in my opinon, the best city in all of europe is Vienna........but there are so many great places it helps to know what ur interests are

  • DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

    Originally posted by Meridion

    Berlin (buzzing [sub]culture, huge party events, good job perspectives and fairly inexpensive in comparison to other megacities), prejudices aside, Germany, especially urban areas, are very open minded... Plus Germany has one of the lowest crime rates in the whole world while being a densly populated and multicultural country...

    I've been living in France for some months; It's a litte on the rednecky side once you leave the perimeter of Paris or other larger cities. People are generally friendly though very rooted in local traditions. Paris features lots and lots of possibilities to see and do things, especially when you're interested in cultural events, but is expensive, to say the least. Living in Paris is hardly affordable unless you've got a _really_ well paid job.

    Scandinavian countries are 'nice', safe, clean, friendly, but erm... well, they're not the height of social interactionism. There are vast areas with nothing but lakes and forests, more lakes and more forests and did I mention, lakes and forests? Been to Oslo twice so far though, loved the city, the pittoresque charme of it. Still a little on the sleepy side compared to London, Paris or Berlin...

    I've only been to London on vacation so far, so I didn't get a feeling of how the nightlife and event situation was back then (2004). The only thing I could tell was that everything was also extremely expensive to a point where I was literally laughing in front of the liquor shelf. 

    Can't say anything about living in Spain, Italy or other mediterranean countries. Been there for beach holidays multiple times but never bothered to stay longer. Can't stand the heat.

    Generally, alcohol is cheapest in eastern europe, gasoline is expensive everywhere, best infrastructure is in central europe (france, germany, switzerland, austria), medical support is US-standard in the whole of western europe, living is cheapest in eastern europe...

    I'm comparing to California and Washington State, I've lived in Sacramento and near Seattle for 6 months.

    M

    EDIT: Economically largely depends on what you want to work as. Most countries in the world welcome specialists, like engineers, doctors, scientists or IT-people with open arms. If you wanna do a blue-collar job or "get by somehow" while doing burgers at McDonalds, the obstacles for attaining a work permit are probably higher. 

    A bunch of observations I can subscribe to^ Good advice this.

    Health care is kind of a non-issue since its decent to excellent all over the EU.

    I'd mostly think about culture, nature and job oportunities and in that sense Germany, Switzerland as well as Scandinavian countries spring to mind. I'm a Dutch guy myself but I can't really recommend Holland very much at the moment.

  • KEVINSTONEKEVINSTONE Member Posts: 6

    curious, why not holland at the moment?

  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

    Originally posted by melmoth1

    Mate come to Scotland!

    We are an awesome country.

    Do you like Game of Thrones?

    Winterfell is basically Scotland and we have amazing dark ales, too.

    If you have any questions about coming to Scotland then pm me. We welcome you mate.

     

    Regards

     

    Melmoth

     Hmm, i thought we were north of the wall and were the Wildlings  :D

  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

    In reply to the poster a few above re-healthcare.

    If you arent a native of an EU country you can forget free healthcare if you come to the EU.

     

  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

    Originally posted by Beachcomber

    In reply to the poster a few above re-healthcare.

    If you arent a native of an EU country you can forget free healthcare if you come to the EU.

     

     In Sweden they get it for free : )

  • KEVINSTONEKEVINSTONE Member Posts: 6

    how long does it take to get it?

    i am just curious for here in canada we give it right away and many are angry beause we get everyone and their whole family comin here for free healthcare

  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

    Originally posted by KEVINSTONE

    how long does it take to get it?

    i am just curious for here in canada we give it right away and many are angry beause we get everyone and their whole family comin here for free healthcare

     I think it is the same here.

    But its better to help to many then to few.

  • KEVINSTONEKEVINSTONE Member Posts: 6

    agreed---we get ours free here in canada as well

  • PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

    I can wholeheartedly recommend the Netherlands, Scotland, and all the Scandinavian countries. As for the others, either I do not recommend them or have not lived in them for any significant period of time. 

Sign In or Register to comment.