Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Look at the super lineup of upcoming SOE titles :)

SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

http://www.soe.com/pc.vm?sel=upcoming

With SWG gone, they don't have much to recommend them tbh and nothing in the pipe.

Comments

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by Sharkypal

With SWG gone, they don't have much to recommend them TBH and nothing in the pipe.

Another SOE hater.

I guess planetside 2 and their undisclosed sandbox mmorpg don't count...

Power to the Sheeple

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

With SWG gone, they don't have much to recommend them tbh and nothing in the pipe.

I think you are forgeting : Planetside 2  and Everquest 3 .

I asure you most Sony fans are frothing for these two releases.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

? Don't forget EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard, those are still SOE games.

EQ progression server is still a blast.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

? Don't forget EQ, EQ2 and Vanguard, those are still SOE games.

EQ progression server is still a blast.

Ayep .. I think SoE needs to release a hit soon , the markets ripe.

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137

Originally posted by PosterTroll

With SWG gone, they don't have much to recommend them TBH and nothing in the pipe.

Another SOE hater.

How is that SOE hate?

And unreleased games don't count JFYI.

I wouldn't count on seeing any of these games any time soon. IIRC Planetside 2 was due a few months ago.

• dangermouse1dangermouse1 Member Posts: 15

OMG you guys are such donuts!!! Is a sense of irony and sarcasm lost on you? I can’t believe I have to explain this joke to you. The SOE website under upcoming has nothing on it, a blank, a void? SOE have not officially announced any new games. They have nothing coming the sub text is deafening. I can’t believe you assumed this person was flaming. Instead you flame someone for finding something funny. You are the kind who sucks the fun outta of everything! Chill out with the negative waves and enjoy the humour!

Originally posted by dangermouse1

OMG you guys are such donuts!!! Is a sense of irony and sarcasm lost on you? I can’t believe I have to explain this joke to you. The SOE website under upcoming has nothing on it, a blank, a void? SOE have not officially announced any new games. They have nothing coming the sub text is deafening. I can’t believe you assumed this person was flaming. Instead you flame someone for finding something funny. You are the kind who sucks the fun outta of everything! Chill out with the negative waves and enjoy the humour!

They have officially announced Planetside 2 and Everquest 3 ,  so they are both in the pipe. Will we see them this or the next year,  doubtable ... but they are still in the pipe.

I don't think anyone was really flaming you, the topic of the thread was taking "another" shot at SoE ... i'm not sure it was a joke.

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524

EQ3.............only if it was a pre-qual to EQ1 like EQ:OA was, the entire shattering things turned me off.

Originally posted by reid424

EQ3.............only if it was a pre-qual to EQ1 like EQ:OA was, the entire shattering things turned me off.

I'm hoping we get more information on the new Eq before years end.... they need to generate some hype for it and appease those of us in waiting.

I sure hope they go back to their roots and allow EQ3 to be as much a sandbox / themepark hybrid as the first was.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Another SOE hater.

How is that SOE hate?
    I wouldn't count on seeing any of these games any time soon. IIRC Planetside 2 was due a few months ago.

Look at the super lineup of upcoming SOE titles :) <-- You created that title correct? I could have sworn upcoming meant something in the future is on the way. So I think the games PosterTroll posted is 100% correct.

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by cyress8

Another SOE hater.

How is that SOE hate?

Look at the super lineup of upcoming SOE titles :) <-- You created that title correct? I could have sworn upcoming meant something in the future is on the way. So I think the games PosterTroll posted is 100% correct.

No, it isn't correct at all. As someone else posted, the humour in that is obviously lost on you.

Unreleased games mean nothing, especially with SOE shutting down a studio, PS2 missing it's release date and now the whole security fiasco that will cost them a lot of money.

I would be interested in EQ Next if I didn't think it would be the same cookie cutter dross that are MMOs these days. That isn't an indictment of SOE, rather, all of MMOdom

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

They do have Planetside Next and EQ Next confirmed

SoE shows material only just before the games release generally, so the fact you don't see lots of stuff about them does't mean those games are not in advanced state of development

But I still think they should fire Smedley if those 2 games are to succeed.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by cyress8

Another SOE hater.

How is that SOE hate?

No, it isn't correct at all. As someone else posted, the humour in that is obviously lost on you.

Unreleased games mean nothing, especially with SOE shutting down a studio, PS2 missing it's release date and now the whole security fiasco that will cost them a lot of money.

I would be interested in EQ Next if I didn't think it would be the same cookie cutter dross that are MMOs these days. That isn't an indictment of SOE, rather, all of MMOdom

Haters here are going to hate, that is for sure.  It's cool for Funcom, Aventurine, and others to miss release windows and you all tell the "trolls" to go fly a kite when we complain about them... Then, you are going to sit here and hate on SOE for Planetside 2 for missing a window?  I'm not one to defend SOE on much, but last time I checked SOE has a bigger fish to fry atm with getting SECURITY of the servers figured out instead of maintain release windows.  I mean seriously!

Power to the Sheeple

• dangermouse1dangermouse1 Member Posts: 15

On soe's offical website the upcoming titles is blank! what more is there to say? the rest is vapourware and remains unconfirmed until SOE's upcoming releases is no longer blank! seriously its funny cause all other companies PR people would have put a holding page or something! am amazed at the inane direction this thread has gone. You guys need to not take well intentioned stuff so serious. Sheesh!

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

Postertroll, SOE "ruined" EQ and SWG.  My two favorite MMOs.  Note: I am acknowledging that SOE is responsible for the two greatest MMOs I've ever played!

Word on the street has been a lot of "SOE ruined EQ".  Depends on what you mean by ruined.  :)  At least, however, I can honestly say that no one lied about what they wanted to do and the people who say they only gave what newer players asked for are absolutely correct.

Second note: while many might regard what SOE did to EQ with a good bit of dismay, myself included, we never see SOE hate topics based on what happened with EQ.  We moved on.

However, the way the CU and NGE were handled and explained (especially the fact that one of them made a recently released expansion pack a complete joke) was completely different.  New players were not requesting CU or NGE features in large numers, it is simply that LA/SOE's eyes got wide with greed.

Even that is forgivable.  What is not forgivable (strictly in a business sense mind you) is that we were lied to as a player base.  More than once.

Am I a hater?  I don't think so.  No more than I hate the last resteraunt that gave me bad food or service.

I simply don't go there again.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly why I left Vangaurd when SOE took control of it.

I'm sure there are many more just like me out there.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

looking at the nature and craftsmanship of SOEs latest releases (Magic: The Gathering; Clone Wars Adventures; and DC Universe Online, Free Realms) anyone keeping their hopes up for a successful EQ sequel or Planetside 2 game IF they are in fact in production is deluding himself. 

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Troneas

looking at the nature and craftsmanship of SOEs latest releases (Magic: The Gathering; Clone Wars Adventures; and DC Universe Online, Free Realms) anyone keeping their hopes up for a successful EQ sequel or Planetside 2 game IF they are in fact in production is deluding himself. 

On top of that, SOE's hard on for cash shops with subscription fees will definitely be part of both games.  There is no talent left at SOE and no one with any coherent vision for what their games should be like in the long term.  The quickest way to kill an MMO is to be short sighted, and SOE has been nothing but short sighted for a long time.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Planetside I'm definitely excited for.  I loved the first one and I'm not even a big FPS fan.

EQ Next - meh.  First of all, I'm guessing this game is a long ways off.  There are still 2 EQ MMOs active (3 if you count the PS2 version).  I would imagine EQ3 won't come out until EQ1 shuts down.  I'm sure I'll play it just out of nostalgia alone, but who knows if it will be any good or not.  If they make a game with a similar feel to pre-Luclin EQ1 without the massive timesinks then I'd be excited.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by sirphobos

If they make a game with a similar feel to pre-Luclin EQ1 without the massive timesinks then I'd be excited.

The problem is that the people with that type of passion and talent have long since left SOE. 

Look at what happened to DCU.  That was the results of their very best developers with the most time and resources of any SOE game ever. 

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Planetside Next and EQ Next don't count as upcoming games.. because they are upcoming games.   That's some new form of logic.

Just like saying Planetside Next missed its release date by months.. when the game wasn't ever set to release months ago...

I mean ya I came here because of the NGE... but living in a different reality isn't really the solution either.

Reality was:  ""In other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it."

Now SOE Fan Faire is July 7th to July 9th and they have already stated a major announcement for Planetside Next will be made.

Now I can agree that July isn't what I see as "early" in the year.   However, they never said when they figured "beta" would start and beta is obviously not "omg they missed their live release by months!!! the sky is falling"

Which just goes back to you may dislike SOE for logical reason.. inventing your own reality is something they have a lot of drugs to help with.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

This is a matter of *IF*.

SOE has done lots of laying off and the 3 week downtime from the mass hack has costed them, and they already canceled the Agency. Also look at how DUCO was handled. SOE will probably continue to thrive on the PS3 platform and slowly diminish on the PC platform, like they already are.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Troneas

I'm looking forward to The Agency! That game is gonna totally RAWK!!! Top secret spy MMO that SOE has been developing for years now.

Originally posted by Antarious

Planetside Next and EQ Next don't count as upcoming games.. because they are upcoming games.   That's some new form of logic.

Just like saying Planetside Next missed its release date by months.. when the game wasn't ever set to release months ago...

I mean ya I came here because of the NGE... but living in a different reality isn't really the solution either.

Reality was:  ""In other news - early next year we will have announcements about Planetside Next followed by a beta. I can say this - it's coming along awesome. I can also say that the first beta testers are going to be current Planetside subscribers. I've gotten a lot of email from current players offering to help test the game and we're going to take them up on it."

Now SOE Fan Faire is July 7th to July 9th and they have already stated a major announcement for Planetside Next will be made.

Now I can agree that July isn't what I see as "early" in the year.   However, they never said when they figured "beta" would start and beta is obviously not "omg they missed their live release by months!!! the sky is falling"

Which just goes back to you may dislike SOE for logical reason.. inventing your own reality is something they have a lot of drugs to help with.

Yup, it's an 'upcoming game' but until it is actually released, the possibility (in lieu of SOE's many problems and at least one cancellation) that it will never release remains plausible.

The comedy was that when you clicked 'upcoming releases' it was blank. That was lost on many people who read/posted in this thread. Even if it is released, I have no doubt it will be a far cry from the original PS (AKA: Nowhere near as good).

Point being, there was never any invention of alternate realities, just the fact that their 'upcoming releases' page was empty.

If it happens to be good, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I remain sceptical.

Oh and JFYI, it was strongly hinted that PS Next would release in spring 2011

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105953-Sony-Online-Strongly-Hints-Planetside-Sequel-Coming-This-Spring

It sure sounds like Smedley was hinting at PS Next to me but I'll concede your point, he never actually said 'We are releasing PS Next in Spring 2011' for the sake of ending the discussion.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Everquest Next have a lot of potential if they make it right. EQ is one of the best MMOs ever so you shouldn't take it lightly even though it is very possible that they mess it up because they have few good programmers.

SOE might not be the top top MMO company but Blizzard have only a single MMO on it's list and Turbine have nothing. You can't predict the future on a list.

And frankly have SWG been on life support a long time, SOEs money is comming ibn from EQ 1 & 2 still, SWG havn't made that much since the NGE.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Scrogdog

As a matter of fact, that's exactly why I left Vangaurd when SOE took control of it.
    I'm sure there are many more just like me out there.

You do realize that SOE had their mits on Vanguard from the day it released, right? In fact, SOE had their hands in it a full 9 months prior to the release, and 4 months after release just bought Sigil outright and took full ownership (in the same way they bought Verant outright in 2001, but still had a huge stake in development and management of EQ prior to that).

Anyway, with regard to the OP:

I am cautiously optimistic about PS2 and EQ:N. Planetside 1 was basically a test case for the technology going into SWG: it was the first SOE MMO to have huge maps without frequent zoning (that went on to SWG), and included the ranged/fps type combat that SWG had for a short while (until NGE). It was fun, and in a large persistent world with instant action made for a good casual playing game. It still makes a pretty compelling reason to get on the Station Pass/All Access Pass.

EQ:Next, however, is make or break. EQ is what SOE was founded on. It's their corner stone. Now I won't argue if SOE has done a good job with EQ lately: I don't agree with a lot of the changes the game has underwent throughout the years, but I concede that without many of those changes the game may not have survived it's long 12 year tenure that it currently has. I still play the original EQ from time to time, it really is a classic, even though I don't like a lot of the newer stuff. That being said, EQ:Next has the opportunity to be a huge success, if it can take what was so magical about that original EQ experience (although I admit a lot of the "magic" where the things that I absolutely hated about the game). But, as SOE's recent history has shown, it is more probable that it will just be another run-of-the-mill game with a possible console port that has a lot of potential, but spends too much time chasing market share from a board room prespective rather than focusing on it's strengths from a gamer's perspective.

If SOE can get back to it's gamer roots, it can hit a home run. If they sit back and listen to the boardroom suits and just throw marketing bullet points and industry buzzwords (which I'm afraid Smedley has just turned "Sandbox" into), it will be another unmitigated disaster.