Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you MMORPG.com players actually like ANY dev studio?

[mod edit]I have to wonder if you guys really like any MMO developer?

What do you expect from these people that they aren't delivering? How far do you -really- expect a 10-50$ investment to get you?

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

MMORPG members like studios that haven't released an MMORPG yet :).  Or they like studios that released an MMORPG in the distant past.

Case and point, Bioware and Arena Net are currently two of the favorite studios on here I would think.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Personally I don't hold grudges on any studio, although there are studios I avoid, there is a difference. I just know they have habits, or design decisions I do not agree with.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

I'm a fan of Turbine.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I currently spend 60 bucks a month on MMO's, totally 720.00 a year... I expect a lot for my money.

That said, I like CCP, Bioware, (so far) ANET and a couple of others.  Doesn't mean I won't criticize some of their decisions, but doesn't mean I hate them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

This is a non moderated forum as far as opinions on different games go. Perhaps you're more used to the forums owned and ran by the studios/publishers of specific games where they moderate negativity so they reflect a bias. Here there is no such thing but rather a multitude of opinions.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I like the GW2 dev showcase's.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I like a lot of development studios.  Just because I like them doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do.

I'm actually much more forgiving then some other posters I've read.  I like companies like EA and Funcom, and even NCSOFT.  I like developers like BioWare, Arenanet and smaller studios like Icarus and Red5 and PitchBlack. 

I have nothing against them,  nor individual developers that may have moved on from one game that I didn't like or had a bad experience with that moves to a game I'm looking forward to.   

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

Originally posted by Kyleran

I currently spend 60 bucks a month on MMO's, totally 720.00 a year... I expect a lot for my money.

That said, I like CCP, Bioware, (so far) ANET and a couple of others.  Doesn't mean I won't criticize some of their decisions, but doesn't mean I hate them.

Ah but does it all go towards the same game? all 720$?

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Personal favorites of mine are ArenaNet, Blizzard and Turbine.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by nhavas

Reading these forums, and having to wade through the lakes of venom spewed forth by it's posters, I have to wonder if you guys really like any MMO developer?

Nope. We are MMORPG players, we hate everyone, especially those companies foolish enough to continue to make games for us to run around in and hate. Without them we'd actually have to find a new hobby, like stamp collecting.

What do you expect from these people that they aren't delivering? How far do you -really- expect a 10-50$ investment to get you?

Fun. Sadly as MMORPG players the portion of our brain that we use to sense when we are having fun has atrophied to the point where we can't seem to be able to discern between being given a fantastic new virtual world to explore, from having our scanties filled with angry and venomous spiders.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Aventurine-Darkfall and Turbine only becouse of Asherons call.

And all other sandbox mmo makers i like.

Most company's mentioned here are themepark makers i dont like at all specially blizzard bioware and almost all asian anime/lineage2 looking mmo's i don't like eather.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Besides Blizzard (in the past), I like Valve and Firaxis the most probably. CDProjekt and Bethesda have put out some games I've enjoyed alot as well. I know most of those aren't MMORPG developers, but I like them more than the current MMO developers.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Doesn't matter if it's awards, reviews, etc... there are a few games the posters and writers on mmorpg.com love to hate.   First up, is Blizzard and WoW.   Look no further than the staff 4.2 write up on WoW.  The patch wasn't even live yet on Tuesday and all I could do was /yawn at the write up because it was all how great WoW is, but whaaaaa, been there done that thru the entire write up.  The anti-WoW gang jumped right on the ol' bandwagon for the WoW bashing.   Then, the other game the poster here love to hate is TOR.  I understand the SWG crowd was looking for pre-CU/NGE with TOR, but Bioware never promised they were making SWG2.0 so please, get over your hating and enjoy TOR for what it is, a BioWare made Star Wars game made in BioWare fashion!   They never promised us a sandbox and have been honest with us from the start! 

Because the sandbox games are disappearing before us, we are going to get a lot more of this hate crowd before it gets better.  Every game that comes out has the community here going /whaaaaaaa  no sandbox.  Well guess what folks, we had a sandbox and because Uncle George changed the coloring book on us, we cried instead of enjoying it for what it was.  If you REALLY want to make yourself useful, start a movement and go support EVE or DFO.  If those games don't do well financially, people with the FUNDS will continue to finance the TORs and WoWs of the world while you keep bitching about Uncle George changing the coloring book.

Now... go game!

Power to the Sheeple

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

MMORPG.com users are capable of liking only one studio at a time, let's call it Messiah -studio.

Messiah studio is a studio that

1. Hasn't released any MMOs lately

2. Makes big promises about their upcoming MMO

3. Hasn't proven those promises. As long as the game is so buggy/unfinished/in beta that it's impossible to verify their promises this requirement is met.

4. Promises that their MMO will somehow be less user-friendly and more complicated than WoW

If the game-maker releases as successfull game it'll automatically lose its places as Messiah studio immediately because it proves the promises and requirement 3 isn't met any more. If the game-maker releases its game completely broken then they have some chance to keep their status as Messiah studio for some months.

All the other dev studios are hated by fans of the Messiah studio because it's unthinkable that any MMORPG.com poster wouldn't know in advance which of the upcoming games is most fun to play.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

To the OP

Of course there are many developers that generally receives very few complaints, my favourite ones are:

1) Turbine

2) CCP (although at the moment is going through a rough patch)

3) Blizzard

4) Arenanet

6) Trion

If you noticed the arguments revolve always around the same developers

SoE, Funcom, EA subsidiaries (Mythic/Bioware)

Of course there are plenty of discussions about single games but that doesn't mean that we hate the developers

For example I disliked RIFT but I respect Trion..........you need to be able to acknowledge this "small" detail, buddy

• P2PGamerP2PGamer Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by ste2000

3) Blizzard 

LOL, Blizzard and WoW are hated more on these forums than all other devs combined other than SOE.

Power to the Sheeple

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

1. Flagship

2. Cryptic

3. Sony

4. Atari

5. Sierra

• BelightBelight Member Posts: 73

The only companies I hate on are Sony and Aventurine.

SOE just gobbles up devs and crushes their games for profit.

Aventurine had a gem of a game in DFO but have utterly squandered it by lack of development, horrible development decisions, and laughable community interaction. I love DarkFall but refuse to give them even a penny.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

I like Heatwave for bringing me the surprise MMORPG of the year for me: Gods and Heroes!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I'm liking the devs on Perpetuum Online. Good group fo people. We'll see how it goes but really am feeling good about that game and company right now.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I like Turbine, Trion Worlds, and Undead Labs (even though they haven't released their MMO yet).

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

As far as MMO developers go I like Trion, Blizzard, and ArenaNet.  So far their games have shown a high level of polish, and Trion has particularly good support and listens to it's playerbase (even though Rift didn't do much on an innovative level), Blizzard just makes fantastic games, and ArenaNet is looking great with Guild Wars 2.

If we are talking about ANY development studio though, there are too many I like here to list that I regularly buy games from.  An easier list would be development studios I don't like; 3 companies which I won't bother listing here.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Sony is the only company I have personal feelings about, they make mistakes but for me generate great games.

If you had asked me this before Warhammer .. I'd of written Mythic a gleaming review, but alas .. Mythic is no more.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I'm an armchair designer of worlds, an eccentric hobbiest cheering and critiquing the pros from the stands.  I make no applogies for that.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Developers... let's see... 

First off, I'm quite fond of the THQ developers - Relic and Vigil. I guess those two might count since Vigil is the one developing WH40kDMO, and Relic recently stated that Dawn of War 3 will be "MMOish".

Then there's Trion, a developer who gained much respect from me by being very attentive to details and responsive to players and to the community.

Those are the three I can remember off the top of my head - might update this post later if I can remember anything else.