Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I dislike about GW2

Comments

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

The dynamic content seems to be part WAR and part RIFT.  Anet is just showcasing it a bit different. If you have a village, that is overrun with baddies, it seems like they will stay there until they are driven back to a point from which they started or defeat actual players and remain and branch out a lillte further.

Now i'm not sure if after a certain time being in control they despawn and wait for the next random event to spawn back and start the process over. It just seems like that is all there is to the system and if it is, it doesn't seem very different than the other two games i mentioned. guess we have to wait and see.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by musicmann

The dynamic content seems to be part WAR and part RIFT.  Anet is just showcasing it a bit different. If you have a village, that is overrun with baddies, it seems like they will stay there until they are driven back to a point from which they started or defeat actual players and remain and branch out a lillte further.

Now i'm not sure if after a certain time being in control they despawn and wait for the next random event to spawn back and start the process over.

They don't despawn until players remove them. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by maskedweasel

1) No Mounts:

2) Underwater Combat:

3) WvWvW Roundrobin Matches and Lack of Open World PvP:  

4) No opposing Factions, Everyone in your world is a friend:  

5) You get and A for Effort! :

6) Non Dynamic, Dynamic Events:  

1. It looks like mounts wont be in from launch no. There is however no official word on this and Jeff Grubb have said that they are looking into it. Most likely will they appear in an expansion, hopefully with specail mounted combat rules.

2. It is stated that you will use consumables to stay underwater, Eric said so several times. If that is some kind of breathing apparatus, magic or something else is not revealed yet. No, they didn't use anything like that as far as I saw in the underwater vid but the game isn't even in beta yet. What I seen of underwater combat looks better than any other I seen in a MMO. On the negative side am I more outraged that flintlock water seems to work underwater, even rain makes them useless IRL.

3. That all sounds fine to me.

4. Yeah, the reason for that is that they want challenging PvP without griefing. I wouldn't mind a PvP server set as well but it is no biggie for me as long as I can crack some skulls in a large enough enviroment. The mists isn't perfect but it is still one of the best PvP ideas I seen in a MMO (DaoC and possibly Eve does it better).

5. You get a better reward if you do better. Sure, it will reward incompetence in some cases but not as much as the competent players. The good players however will have the dungeon gear, leechers and bad players wont get those unless they have a good group that manages to get them through the entire dungeon. So you get a C for effort, not an A even though it still is slightly annoying.

6. I don't agree at all with your last point but I will frankly have to play a month or 2 to be sure that DEs wont feel repetetive. That they will feel a bit boring when you run past your alts through them is likely but it is not worse than doing the same quests over and over when you level up a character in most games and GW2 have pretty massive content and 5 starting areas/cities. So it should feel a lot less boring than say Rift which have 2 starting areas and a rather tine world.

There is no way you can make an MMO that wont feel repetetive after you leveled up a certain number of alts, even sandbox games with FFA PvP get that feeling even if it is less than in a PvE game. Knowing Arenanet will we get expansions pretty often which will add new areas and DEs so it should be pretty ok. The original GW only have 3 starting areas after all.

You do have a few points, I am not sure how good insta travelling will feel in the game and while underwater combat is by far the best I seen do I wish that they handled firearms better and had special harpoon guns and crossbows for underwater just like there is special pets for it. Mounts should be added but ANET have actually spent work on it even though it seems like it isn't implemented yet.

My personal greatest concern with the game is that the dynamic events wont be fun long term. The mechanic is untried, Rifts DEs got boring after a few hours but they are more or less all identical. Of course questing gets pretty boring too eventually but I hope DEs wont be worse.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by musicmann

Now i'm not sure if after a certain time being in control they despawn and wait for the next random event to spawn back and start the process over. It just seems like that is all there is to the system and if it is, it doesn't seem very different than the other two games i mentioned. guess we have to wait and see.

They don't despawn, they go to the next step in the event chain. Unlike WAR and Rift, an event is not a singular occurence that simply repeats forever. It has one or several continuations, and it will keep progressing in one direction until that direction is changed through player actions.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by Loke666

2. It is stated that you will use consumables to stay underwater, Eric said so several times. If that is some kind of breathing apparatus, magic or something else is not revealed yet. No, they didn't use anything like that as far as I saw in the underwater vid but the game isn't even in beta yet. What I seen of underwater combat looks better than any other I seen in a MMO. On the negative side am I more outraged that flintlock water seems to work underwater, even rain makes them useless IRL.

Actually, screenshots from the recent event showed characters with a mechanical breathing apparatus.

• anthonyman6anthonyman6 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Why complain about lack of factions? The game is called GUILD Wars. Not Faction Wars.

• IkonicIkonic Member UncommonPosts: 310

Originally posted by anthonyman6

Why complain about lack of factions? The game is called GUILD Wars. Not Faction Wars.

Cool, so your Guild can declare a war on another guild on your server?

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Isn't the lack of open world pvp a product of no factions in the game? Why to make it in 2 separate points, just to say that you dislike the game even more? xD

Besides this, your points are all subjective, so there is not much to counter-argue here

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

The only thing i'll comment is the WvWvW, you might think it is not open pvp, but it is (i think)  a large enough map to be called "open world pvp", it also offer inter server which is a great idea to focus all the pvper population in a good density, something that is a must for a good pvp game. There is no no more entire open world pvp since Trammel; i think the only games i know that are fully open world pvp are L2 and Darkfall. But the conterpart to a fully open pvp world, is that you loose a lot of player gameplay style, and very low pvp density, and for me you have to be a bit stupid to make that trade in favor of fully open world pvp. Especially because big map can acheive similar result if done well.

The rest of your annoyance doesn't seam to be that important imo. Mount you don't need them you have the instant travel stuff, factions you have them into the WvWvW in some way since servers are fighting against each other, so a similar feeling if anything, your A for effort is just a low cheap strike imo, especially because mmo based on archeiver type of gameplay is just too much already, non dynamic dynamic event, well at least the game will offer something hapening in the world, dynamic or not, it don't matter much finally, something happening at last is good enough for the time being.

The only soso stuff about GW2 for me is about the nature of Pve, i just hope it won't be a dummy mind numbing grind, but actually offer some real challenge up to the combat system and the "step" forward into the genre mentality. Nice hand crafted and tested spawns, personality and group behavior (like fleeing, swap weapon and roles...), mob that use skill between each other like heals and buffs, and have some group tactics. Thats the only thing i would really call a dislike because the game pve just show more or less the same pve crap as usual, but since all mmo have totally stupid pve, even single player fps game have better pve, its not as something i can really accuse them to not add. But it would definitly be a lot better if they push that pve aspect the same level as the rest of the game, they just seam to have not looked in it as they should have and its a bit sad imo.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Yes I am looking forward to GW2, but there are plenty of decisions Arenanet has made that I am not impressed with or absolutely dislike. Here is my short list.  Again,  these are MY reasons,  others may like these design decisions below,  but I however,  do not.

1) No Mounts:

Sure, we have fast travel instead,  but thats more of a roundabout, fat fingered way to get to where you'd like to go.  It has the possibility of being faster in many cases,  but you only get to teleport to certain parts,  and trudge through everything else you pass by at a nominal speed.   On a side note, no mounts in a fantasy game is a step backwards in my opinion.  They could have kept with their "innovative" attempts and reinvented some mounted combat, but instead they gave us number 2.

Not a game breaker in my opinion and fast travel is an option,nothing stopping you taking the longer route.

2) Underwater Combat:

Come on now,  I'm sorry but this is just cheesy.  No movement penalty,  magical or technological breathing apparel to explain infinite time underwater.    I love underwater exploration,  but I love it because in many games theres a large sense of danger because you are out of your element.   -- You only have a small window of time to find what you're looking for or you run out of breath.  You move slower and have to be more deliberate with where you go.  Sometimes certain abilities don't work properly if at all under water, and the enemies you face are made for under water combat so they have an advantage.  All these things that have been taken away made underwater adventures exciting and fun.  Now its just the ground game with an XY and Z axis and a new bar for your spear gun. (or similar aquatic weapon).

To be honest we don't know eveything about underwater combat so it's fruitless getting over heated about it

No,  the mists aren't THE open world.  They are an instanced piece of A open world that has absolutely nothing to do with the world you spend your time PvEing in.   Whats worse?  This world will change weekly,  as will your opponents.  Not just that but you'll be stacking up against these other "worlds" and if you continuously lose,  don't fret,  just transfer to that world for free at a later time.   Open World PvP in itself gives that feeling of never knowing what will happen next.  You could be gathering materials and get jumped by 6 guys in an area just a few hundred feet away from your faction city.  In an instanced W v W v W,  you know that by going in there, you'll be ganked,  and you'll know when it will happen, because you'll be looking to do it yourself when you enter an area with W v W v W objectives.

Do you know the differance between a zone and an instance,obviously you do not. The Myst happen in a zone away from the main world but it's not an instance. A instance is only excessable by your group and your group alone.

Azone is open to anyone on that server at anytime at any level and it is open world PVP in that zone,it's open to everyone.

As the dev clearly states..GW2 WvWvW happens in the open world and is open world PVP no matter how you try to twist it.

Read

“The other thing that I think is important and this is not a direct answer, but we have World vs. World PvP in Guild Wars 2. I think that will impact PvE as well. Which is your server shard matched up against two other servers in OPEN WORLD PVP. If you like Dark Age of Camelot, this is, in our minds the next evolution of that. It is something that really drove community and you care about what you are doing on a PVE and PvP side. You care about the people on the server. We think we will have those bonds because your server is matched up against two other servers. So it is just that much more important that you become friends and you bond with the players on your server. So the friends you make through PvE and Dynamic Events, those friends will carry over into World vs. World PvP. You may get out of World vs. World PvP and go back to early zones to do events with new people and help encourage them to join you in the fight for your server to take part in battles and beat the other two. We expect large strong communities on each server and I think PvP will end up affecting PvE because people will work together.” -Colin Johanson (Lead Content Designer)

Further more,  W v W v W pits all worlds against eachother,  and the idea behind a 3 faction system is to ensure that 2 factions can balance out 1 large faction.  In a series of weekly battles where only 1 WORLD can win,   2 worlds teaming up to stop a third, more populated world could happen,  but they wouldn't reap any benefits because they both also want the top spot.  Not to mention  these are just small week long battles,  so there is no telling when you get matched up with other worlds if the other smaller world is even willing to cooperate.   This issue is brought on by number 4.

DAOC three faction PVP is one of the best system to date in any mmo,nothing wrong with this system at all.

I get it,  lets make everyone on a server friends!  That way they'll work better together in W v W right?  I don't think so.   With opposing factions on the same server, you get to know your enemies,  you get to know your friends,  and you get to understand how other players work together and choose who you want to be associated with and who you don't.    When you're grouped as an entire world,  if 5 people form a group and spawn camp or abuse an exploit,  the entire world will get a reputation for it.  In factional same - server battles,  you can simply choose not to play with those acting that way on your factions side.  You also can get to know the other players on your server and create rivalries that you can play out day after day and not have to wait until the next week, or the week after that, or the week after that.

That's right everyone on your server is your friend unless you are doing GVG -Arena Instanced pvp,nothing wrong with that at all. It also brings the server together when it comes to WvWvW pvp.

Everyone gets rewards.  EVERYONE.  Did you just come in and kill that centaur before the event finished?  Heres a trophy!  Did you only gather 3 bird feathers out of the 100 everyone else gathered? Great job sport!   Hey, looks like you spent most of your time in this event rubbing your keyboard on your dog,  take this loot!    In the same sense that if everyone is a hero, no one is,   if everyone is getting rewards,  its not much of a reward.   Call it elitism if you want,  but where I come from, you get rewarded for a job well done, not for just being there at the tail end of something, or deciding to whack a mole on your way to the auction house.

Why not..

As was stated by the dev team,  you have these Dynamic Events that are supposed to revolutionize the way players interact with the world,  but what we've learned about them is that these events are essentially cyclical,  they run in a linear path,  and they often times have the same old MMO objectives we've seen as Anet was worried about making DEs too complex so that everyone can finish them and 1 asshole can't ruin it by aggroing a boss 2 seconds into the event.   

Basically, these events start somewhat dynamically based on a set of objectives,  or a timed cycle (every 2 hours,  day/night, ETC)  and events are sectioned into areas.   For example,  a bandit camp could form (step 1)  raid the town (step 2)  then from that point, they build fortifications (step 3)  then raid 2 more towns (step 4).  The players objectives are to push them from 4 to 1,  or from 2 to 1,  or just stop them at 1.  But tomorrow,  it will start again.  The same areas,  the same objectives,  just over a much broader scale than a Public Quest.   While the presentation seems great right now,  my fear is that it will get played out very quickly when you run through the PvE content through the same areas with different characters.  It will end up feeling exactly like every other MMO,  with the only major changes being whatever personalized content you choose for yourself.

I am still out on this system,time will tell.

Well there you have it,  thats my short list of dislikes.  There is a longer list,  but I wouldn't want to get nitpicky with things like the seizure enducing animations, or the introduction of forced abilities on your bar.

I am still excited for this game despite my dislikes,  and I have similar dislikes over all games I look forward to.  Just because you are looking forward to something doesn't mean you have to like everything about it.

So their it's is IMO..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Naqaj

Actually, screenshots from the recent event showed characters with a mechanical breathing apparatus.

Cool, I missed that. Or I saw that the lady in the vid I watched had something over her face and assumed it to be a ranger mask...

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by dinams

Isn't the lack of open world pvp a product of no factions in the game? Why to make it in 2 separate points, just to say that you dislike the game even more? xD

Besides this, your points are all subjective, so there is not much to counter-argue here

Yes, all opinions are subjective, it was more of me listing my reservations (though, not really gamebreaking as the game is B2P)   

But something I didn't put in the OP that kind of irks me about not having factions is that, well.... there ARE factions in GW2,  but they don't actually mean anything except in your personal story.  Not to mention you have a history in the game where certain races shouldn't really be getting along.  Cooperating.. sure,  but not really getting along... and I could just as easily see races breaking into factions or at least some sort of competition forming.  

I don't follow the GW lore that much,  but I think they could have really upped the rivalry by also utilizing the racial and factional rivalries.

Again its all pitted on the design decisions.  What they ended up doing will likely work for the most part because it was made to work that way,  I am just not fond of those decisions at this point.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Yes I am looking forward to GW2, but there are plenty of decisions Arenanet has made that I am not impressed with or absolutely dislike. Here is my short list.  Again,  these are MY reasons,  others may like these design decisions below,  but I however,  do not.

1) No Mounts:

Sure, we have fast travel instead,  but thats more of a roundabout, fat fingered way to get to where you'd like to go.  It has the possibility of being faster in many cases,  but you only get to teleport to certain parts,  and trudge through everything else you pass by at a nominal speed.   On a side note, no mounts in a fantasy game is a step backwards in my opinion.  They could have kept with their "innovative" attempts and reinvented some mounted combat, but instead they gave us number 2.

2) Underwater Combat:

Come on now,  I'm sorry but this is just cheesy.  No movement penalty,  magical or technological breathing apparel to explain infinite time underwater.    I love underwater exploration,  but I love it because in many games theres a large sense of danger because you are out of your element.   -- You only have a small window of time to find what you're looking for or you run out of breath.  You move slower and have to be more deliberate with where you go.  Sometimes certain abilities don't work properly if at all under water, and the enemies you face are made for under water combat so they have an advantage.  All these things that have been taken away made underwater adventures exciting and fun.  Now its just the ground game with an XY and Z axis and a new bar for your spear gun. (or similar aquatic weapon).

No,  the mists aren't THE open world.  They are an instanced piece of A open world that has absolutely nothing to do with the world you spend your time PvEing in.   Whats worse?  This world will change weekly,  as will your opponents.  Not just that but you'll be stacking up against these other "worlds" and if you continuously lose,  don't fret,  just transfer to that world for free at a later time.   Open World PvP in itself gives that feeling of never knowing what will happen next.  You could be gathering materials and get jumped by 6 guys in an area just a few hundred feet away from your faction city.  In an instanced W v W v W,  you know that by going in there, you'll be ganked,  and you'll know when it will happen, because you'll be looking to do it yourself when you enter an area with W v W v W objectives.

Further more,  W v W v W pits all worlds against eachother,  and the idea behind a 3 faction system is to ensure that 2 factions can balance out 1 large faction.  In a series of weekly battles where only 1 WORLD can win,   2 worlds teaming up to stop a third, more populated world could happen,  but they wouldn't reap any benefits because they both also want the top spot.  Not to mention  these are just small week long battles,  so there is no telling when you get matched up with other worlds if the other smaller world is even willing to cooperate.   This issue is brought on by number 4.

I get it,  lets make everyone on a server friends!  That way they'll work better together in W v W right?  I don't think so.   With opposing factions on the same server, you get to know your enemies,  you get to know your friends,  and you get to understand how other players work together and choose who you want to be associated with and who you don't.    When you're grouped as an entire world,  if 5 people form a group and spawn camp or abuse an exploit,  the entire world will get a reputation for it.  In factional same - server battles,  you can simply choose not to play with those acting that way on your factions side.  You also can get to know the other players on your server and create rivalries that you can play out day after day and not have to wait until the next week, or the week after that, or the week after that.

Everyone gets rewards.  EVERYONE.  Did you just come in and kill that centaur before the event finished?  Heres a trophy!  Did you only gather 3 bird feathers out of the 100 everyone else gathered? Great job sport!   Hey, looks like you spent most of your time in this event rubbing your keyboard on your dog,  take this loot!    In the same sense that if everyone is a hero, no one is,   if everyone is getting rewards,  its not much of a reward.   Call it elitism if you want,  but where I come from, you get rewarded for a job well done, not for just being there at the tail end of something, or deciding to whack a mole on your way to the auction house.

As was stated by the dev team,  you have these Dynamic Events that are supposed to revolutionize the way players interact with the world,  but what we've learned about them is that these events are essentially cyclical,  they run in a linear path,  and they often times have the same old MMO objectives we've seen as Anet was worried about making DEs too complex so that everyone can finish them and 1 asshole can't ruin it by aggroing a boss 2 seconds into the event.   

Basically, these events start somewhat dynamically based on a set of objectives,  or a timed cycle (every 2 hours,  day/night, ETC)  and events are sectioned into areas.   For example,  a bandit camp could form (step 1)  raid the town (step 2)  then from that point, they build fortifications (step 3)  then raid 2 more towns (step 4).  The players objectives are to push them from 4 to 1,  or from 2 to 1,  or just stop them at 1.  But tomorrow,  it will start again.  The same areas,  the same objectives,  just over a much broader scale than a Public Quest.   While the presentation seems great right now,  my fear is that it will get played out very quickly when you run through the PvE content through the same areas with different characters.  It will end up feeling exactly like every other MMO,  with the only major changes being whatever personalized content you choose for yourself.

Well there you have it,  thats my short list of dislikes.  There is a longer list,  but I wouldn't want to get nitpicky with things like the seizure enducing animations, or the introduction of forced abilities on your bar.

I am still excited for this game despite my dislikes,  and I have similar dislikes over all games I look forward to.  Just because you are looking forward to something doesn't mean you have to like everything about it.

1.)  Meh, don't care so much.

2.) Lol, you said what makes underwater combat better in other games is some of your abilities don't work properly?  Name one of those MMO's please, because it sounds like you're describing GW2.  Some abilities won't work right, so they change, and some of your utility skills won't work underwater so you have to use different ones.

3.)  I don't know where you come from, but in faction games open world PvP horribly sucks.  There is no balance to it, and a lot of times it's even scarce.  Also, if you want a PvP world then I could maybe agree with you on maybe them allowing a PvP server that has FFA PvP in the PvE world.  Maybe..  But never two factions, get that out of here.  Also, you are severely misinformed, and I take it from your post you never touched DAoC.  DAoC had some of the best PvP of all time, and that is why they are going with the three server approach. 

Also, not getting to know your opponents also presents a challenge in itself, because the matches will be less predictable.  You will truly have to employ the best strats to win.  Moreover, this will not turn into a zergfest, because if you would read information on the game before posting your long list of dislikes you'd understand why.  There aren't just main points that need to be captured like keeps and such where the zergs will be, but there are also resource nodes, caravans, and many other smaller based objectives that will present smaller group combat or even solo.  This is one of the best reasons to play GW2, the PvP in this MMO isn't going to copy paste WoW, and we will finally be getting some devs that look to one of the greatest PvP games of all time in DAoC.

4.)  More of the same..  With a whole server of friends you get to know everyone and how they opperate in combat, and you will become closer knit in WvW action.  Also, as stated before 2 faction open world PvP is horrid.  Go play Rift or WoW and you will see why. 

5.)  Also, you can't just pick your nose and get a reward, you actually have to participate.  These reason they are doing this is because getting loot based on who does the most isn't entirely measurable by a board and people get screwed out of things.  You can't measure every beneficial situation to add up on a board. 

6.) Here we have more misinformation..  The events are cyclical not as in it will be the same event kicking off, however there are multiple events set for different areas.  Also, it isn't linear, because you are never sure what event will be going on, and then when you participate your actions ripple out through the world.  There are so many events in given areas that you will most likely not see every event in the game by the time you reach 80. 

Also, there is even story attached to some of the events, and another thing you might not think about is they may actually be fun?  Yeah you might have an event you totally enjoy that you always like to participate in when it is going.  And you can always come back and be scaled down to do so.  Wow, you really are misinformed.  Please go read more information man.  I'm not harking on you because of your lack of information alone, I am doing so because of your long list of gripes when you don't even understand the concepts. 

DE's are not as linear as quests.  Quests leave you with txt, to do something in a given area.  You usually do most your quests for that area with stagnant respawning mobs, then you get quests to move to the next linear hub.  In GW2 you are free to move as you choose, want to do higher content, get somebody to boost you up to their level, want to do lower content just go there and be scaled down.  You can also do your personal storyline, dungeons, WvW, it is jam packed full of content. 

7.)  Why would the forced skills per weapons be a bad thing?  Again, this is one of the best things about GW2!  They are innovating the way skills are assigned in MMO's, weapons actually matter now!  And, you can swap between sets to change up your skills, and this adds a whole new level of strategy we have never seen.  You also have your other 5 abilities which you choose, so I don't see the problem here.  Also, you get to choose your weapons, and your traits which add more flavor to your skills.  Also, about the animations, I read somewhere that that was due to some server lag they were experiencing but Idk. 

I am fine with somebody having gripes about the game, because like stated we all have things we will dislike.  However, you have come in here and made a list of dislikes that sum up GW2.  Everything you have stated is what makes GW2 different from the other MMO's, the only thing you didn't dislike was the trinity removal.  So, if you really dislike the core ideas of GW2, then why don't you play something else because you just explained the whole game as your dislikes.  However, there was much misinformation in your post, so maybe if you actually start to understand the concepts you will start to look forward to these things.

Originally posted by dinams

Yes, all opinions are subjective, it was more of me listing my reservations (though, not really gamebreaking as the game is B2P)   

But something I didn't put in the OP that kind of irks me about not having factions is that, well.... there ARE factions in GW2,  but they don't actually mean anything except in your personal story.  Not to mention you have a history in the game where certain races shouldn't really be getting along.  Cooperating.. sure,  but not really getting along... and I could just as easily see races breaking into factions or at least some sort of competition forming.  

I don't follow the GW lore that much,  but I think they could have really upped the rivalry by also utilizing the racial and factional rivalries.

Again its all pitted on the design decisions.  What they ended up doing will likely work for the most part because it was made to work that way,  I am just not fond of those decisions at this point.

Again, sorry to correct you, but you are just basing off of logical assumptions in your own head without understanding the lore.  There are no factions, because all of the playable races have recognized the larger threat.  The Dragons!  The Charr and Humans have stopped warring, all the races are coming together to stop their world from being destroyed.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by NightAngell

Do you know the differance between a zone and an instance,obviously you do not. The Myst happen in a zone away from the main world but it's not an instance. A instance is only excessable by your group and your group alone.

Azone is open to anyone on that server at anytime at any level and it is open world PVP in that zone,it's open to everyone.

As the dev clearly states..GW2 WvWvW happens in the open world and is open world PVP no matter how you try to twist it.

Read

“The other thing that I think is important and this is not a direct answer, but we have World vs. World PvP in Guild Wars 2. I think that will impact PvE as well. Which is your server shard matched up against two other servers in OPEN WORLD PVP. If you like Dark Age of Camelot, this is, in our minds the next evolution of that. It is something that really drove community and you care about what you are doing on a PVE and PvP side. You care about the people on the server. We think we will have those bonds because your server is matched up against two other servers. So it is just that much more important that you become friends and you bond with the players on your server. So the friends you make through PvE and Dynamic Events, those friends will carry over into World vs. World PvP. You may get out of World vs. World PvP and go back to early zones to do events with new people and help encourage them to join you in the fight for your server to take part in battles and beat the other two. We expect large strong communities on each server and I think PvP will end up affecting PvE because people will work together.” -Colin Johanson (Lead Content Designer)

Its an instance of an open world.  It is not persistent.  It goes away after a week.  Everything resets and you play it again.  Zones can be instanced,  GW2 will also have districting which is essentially an open world instance, just like how champions online and tabula rasa did it.  

If the major open world is PvE based and things happen, and change and is based on what players do,  the Mists are the fleeting opposite,  everything that players do will be washed away after a short amount of time,  what you do is just a means to an end, and at the end of the day, holding a fortification only means something if you are winning your little roundrobin tournament.

In other MMOs with OPEN WORLD PVP,  what you decide to do,  when you decide to do it,  changes the complete flow of gameplay for all those in that area.  So you can stop a trade route in the mists?  You can have a group of dedicated players completely block a certain path to an area if you wanted to,  that would greatly affect the game world,  not just a small part of it for a short period of time.

There are vast differences here.

Read

Its an instance of an open world.  It is not persistent.  It goes away after a week.  Everything resets and you play it again.  Zones can be instanced,  GW2 will also have districting which is essentially an open world instance, just like how champions online and tabula rasa did it.  

If the major open world is PvE based and things happen, and change and is based on what players do,  the Mists are the fleeting opposite,  everything that players do will be washed away after a short amount of time,  what you do is just a means to an end, and at the end of the day, holding a fortification only means something if you are winning your little roundrobin tournament.

In other MMOs with OPEN WORLD PVP,  what you decide to do,  when you decide to do it,  changes the complete flow of gameplay for all those in that area.  So you can stop a trade route in the mists?  You can have a group of dedicated players completely block a certain path to an area if you wanted to,  that would greatly affect the game world,  not just a small part of it for a short period of time.

Please, please, please.  I am really curious.  What other mmo's are you talking about?  Because, in faction based mmo's the only thing ganking does is frustrate others who are trying to PvE.  Trust me, I've participated in it.  Also, it doesn't affect the world at all, people just go do their thing in other zones, or they call for a zerg guild to come wipe you out..

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Read

It's an persistent open zone that is away from the main world where anyone can enter. As the devs says, it's open world PVP.

It does not go away after a week,it simply get's reset,the zone is constantly  their.

Ill take what the dev says all day long.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

1) No Mounts:

2) Underwater Combat:

This is a strange post. It is strange because it really doesn't brook any discussion. You like what you like and that's that. There will be pages of responses telling you you should like things you don't, or arguing semantics with you (you repeatedly conflate dynamic with random, but that's neither here nor there). I simply don't see the point.

Other than to say, ....okay? Good to know? I mean, these aren't criticisms of the game that could potentially improve it; they are design desicions that appeal to some and repulse others. If GW2 were the game you wanted it to be, it wouldn't be the game I wanted it to be. What is there to discuss, beyond the general topic of MMO design, which should really take place in the general thread?

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291

I think a lot of people forget that it's called "Guild Wars" it's focus is your guild fighting another... just like the first one I spent about 4 years GVG'ing. Trust me, you'll like what they have in store if you like GVG =)

You could say that in WoW, Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms are both large instances, if we went by your logic Maskedweasel.

Every planet in SW:TOR would be an instance. 

Edit: To the poster above me: We still haven't heard about the Guild System, but according to the Developers it will be more expansive than the Guild System you can find in other MMORPGs.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Loke666

It wasn't a flintlock, it was an Harpoon gun.

http://www.arena.net/blog/jonathan-sharp-talks-underwater-combat

Let’s take a look at the pointy underwater weapons:

Spear – Close quarters melee weapon

Used by:

Warrior

Necro

Ranger

Thief

Guardian

Trident – Long range magical weapon

Used by:

Necro

Guardian

Elementalist

Harpoon gun – Long range mechanical weapon

Used by:

Engineer

Warrior

Ranger

Thief

This is not a game.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

1) No Mounts:

2) Underwater Combat:

1) Mounts aren't necessary. They have a teleport system you can use once you have explored those areas.

2) I've watched the underwater video and it looks to be well thought out and executed excellently.

3) The mists are the perfect place for open PvP and everyone who goes there wants to PvP.

4) There are PvP factions, the opposing players from 2 other servers.

5) Your pretty loose with your facts on this.

6) Events are dynamic. Obviously you have not read their website and have invented your own facts.

From what i can gather by your post, the game your looking for already exists and is called Darkfall.

Archlinux ftw

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

Wait, how is this any different from pretty much every mmo that has a weekly patch/maintenence day where the server is emptied and reset every week? Also i would like to see some source on "districting" in GW2. Ive been keeping up with as much info on GW2 as i can, and i have yet to see anything about districting in the open world.

Originally posted by Nailzzz

Wait, how is this any different from pretty much every mmo that has a weekly patch/maintenence day where the server is emptied and reset every week? Also i would like to see some source on "districting" in GW2. Ive been keeping up with as much info on GW2 as i can, and i have yet to see anything about districting in the open world.

I don't believe this is present in the game. According to the FAQ.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Nailzzz

The fact that they have never claimed that the world is seamless and the fact that some players have wondered around in the demo and found portals ala GW1 although they could not go through them to another zone.

This is not a game.