Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

G4's Casey Schreiner: "GW2 is gonna beat SWToR"

VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Casey Schreiner from G4 (The MMO Report): "I think that Guild Wars2 is going to be the next big MMO. I think it's gonna beat SWTOR. I think it's gonna be a better game than SWToR... I think with SWToR you're gonna see a lot of people sign up initially,, they're gonna find out that it's a well made game in SW universe that doesn't offer a lot of innovation, and when they see what GW is doing they're gonna be shocked."

Source: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...mned-edition/

It starts at 28:00.

Can't say i disagree with Casey.

Comments

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

While I agree with him, it is just another opinion among millions. So I expect this thread to be very productive...

edit: my favorite apart about the video was finding out I'm not the only one that pronounces out swtor likes its a word instead of an abrevation.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Brace yourself..

Eat me!

• LyulfeLyulfe Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by jadedlevir

While I agree with him, it is just another opinion among millions. So I expect this thread to be very productive...

edit: my favorite apart about the video was finding out I'm not the only one that pronounces out swtor likes its a word instead of an abrevation.

Nice, I'm not the only one.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by Verterdegete

Casey Schreiner from G4 (The MMO Report): "I think that Guild Wars2 is going to be the next big MMO. I think it's gonna beat SWTOR. I think it's gonna be a better game than SWToR... I think with SWToR you're gonna see a lot of people sign up initially,, they're gonna find out that it's a well made game in SW universe that doesn't offer a lot of innovation, and when they see what GW is doing they're gonna be shocked."

I don't know which game is going to do better. What is better? More box sales? More revenue?

If you sell one SWTOR box, but that person subs for 6 months, that's more revenue than one purchase of GW2, because it has no sub fee.

See what I mean?

Each SWTOR box can make more money than each GW2 box, because of subs, so you could sell less boxes, but make more revenue.

But, here's the thing about "innovation".

This statement sort of acts like everyone that plays MMORPGs has already played MMORPGs, and they are looking for something new.

But in reality, there are new gamers every day, that have never played an MMORPG.

Everything about MMORPGs is "innovative" for those players. They've never played WoW before. They are nto burnt out on MMORPGs.

They are just now getting online and starting to play online games.

Will those people like SWTOR or not? I don't know.

But I don't think those players are going to require "innovation".

That's the jaded veteran MMORPG player or dev talking.

But there are kids born all the time, and they arent' jaded. They never played an MMORPG before. They just need a good game, not innovation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

K

As I've said in the past, I couldn't care less who beats who, I'll let BW and Anet worry about that, I'll just hopefully enjoy two good games.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Ok here's what I took from that statement " I am a GW2 fan GW2 is going to rock and ToR is going to suck". Nothing I haven't seen nor heard before, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. Add a rolling flip to the basic circle strafe and call it innovating and it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Why does it have to be one or the other? Why can't they both kick ass?

• AmeristAmerist Member UncommonPosts: 30

Beaten or not, SWTOR will be on my list to play when it hits the shelves and GW2 will not. ξ

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

I agree with him. I think TOR will draw in a larger crowd at first with GW2 sustaining a larger player base 6-12 months after release.

Originally posted by Archeminos

But then what would we have to use as flame bait?

• VerterdegeteVerterdegete Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

I don't know which game is going to do better. What is better? More box sales? More revenue?

If you sell one SWTOR box, but that person subs for 6 months, that's more revenue than one purchase of GW2, because it has no sub fee.

See what I mean?

Each SWTOR box can make more money than each GW2 box, because of subs, so you could sell less boxes, but make more revenue.

But, here's the thing about "innovation".

This statement sort of acts like everyone that plays MMORPGs has already played MMORPGs, and they are looking for something new.

But in reality, there are new gamers every day, that have never played an MMORPG.

Everything about MMORPGs is "innovative" for those players. They've never played WoW before. They are nto burnt out on MMORPGs.

They are just now getting online and starting to play online games.

Will those people like SWTOR or not? I don't know.

But I don't think those players are going to require "innovation".

That's the jaded veteran MMORPG player or dev talking.

But there are kids born all the time, and they arent' jaded. They never played an MMORPG before. They just need a good game, not innovation.

Sure, but  much higher chances are that these new kids, as you call them, will pick a game thats more in tune with current games that they are playing.

Originally posted by Gormok

Ok here's what I took from that statement " I am a GW2 fan GW2 is going to rock and ToR is going to suck".

Actually Casey is a huge SWToR fan. This GW2 hype of his is a new thing.

Because people are going to always have that 'my dad can beat up your dad" mentality. Actually I hope for GW2 success that means less of the annoying WoW fanbase in ToR.

Sure, but  much higher chances are that these new kids, as you call them, will pick a game thats more in tune with current games that they are playing.

SO they'll pick the one closest to WOW, and an IP they recognize?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

It's just an opinion, until some of us can say, "I told you so" :)

I do expect to see a lot more dissillusionment over TOR than GW2.  Which will turn out to be right or wrong, meaning it's not an opinion, but an assessment, or at worst, a guess.  How that will actually effect the success of each game is a lot more complicated, but I'm thinking we'll still be able to see a clear winner in terms of overall numbers of people actually playing.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by SlothnChunk

I agree with him. I think TOR will draw in a larger crowd at first with GW2 sustaining a larger player base 6-12 months after release.

Who cares about GW2 player base? they don't generate sub revenue, so only box sales count.

Once the box is sold, they made their money and that's that. Whether someone plays an hour or a year is irrelevant.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Originally posted by Malickie

The funny thing is, in the video casey and adam say that swtor is going to be a great game.

Originally posted by Malickie

SO they'll pick the one closest to WOW, and an IP they recognize?

They never played an MMO before.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Who cares about GW2 player base? they don't generate sub revenue, so only box sales count.

Once the box is sold, they made their money and that's that. Whether someone plays an hour or a year is irrelevant.

The quote is about number of players not revenue. And I agree.

Ok here's what I took from that statement " I am a GW2 fan GW2 is going to rock and ToR is going the suck". Nothing I haven't seen nor heard before, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. Add a rolling flip to the basic circle strafe and call it innovating and it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Yep, pretty much. Tor fans are gonna root for Tor, GW2 fans are gonna root for GW2.

Some of them are gonna bash the other game.

TOR has twileks. What are the cool GW2 races?

That Twi'lek looks a whole hell of alot better than the ones in ToR, lol

Originally posted by Vhaln

It's just an opinion, until some of us can say, "I told you so" :)

I do expect to see a lot more dissillusionment over TOR than GW2.  Which will turn out to be right or wrong, meaning it's not an opinion, but an assessment, or at worst, a guess.  How that will actually effect the success of each game is a lot more complicated, but I'm thinking we'll still be able to see a clear winner in terms of overall numbers of people actually playing.

There's a lot of hype over TOR, much more so than GW2.

If TOR isn't awesome, a lot of fans are going to be let down for sure.

I don't think expectations are quite as high for GW2.

People think it will be  a cool game, and what the hell, there's no sub fee.

You expect less if you pay less.

• Originally posted by Malickie

what people have been using for generations. ants

The quote is about number of players not revenue. And I agree.

How do you even count player base for GW2?

What if I buy the box, play for a month, then stop. Then, since it's free, what the heck I'll log on for an hour 6 months later. Am I part of the "player base"?

With ToR they will count subs. Players paying with credit cards, or those with a free month after buying the box.

I don't know what counts for GW2 since there's no sub.

Once someone buys the GW2 box and registers, they could just count them forever, whether they play or not, since there's no sub, no reason to "cancel".

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

That's exactly what we needed, more animosity between the two games' "followers"... this is like team rivalry in sports.

• Originally posted by Gormok

Ok here's what I took from that statement " I am a GW2 fan GW2 is going to rock and ToR is going the suck". Nothing I haven't seen nor heard before, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. Add a rolling flip to the basic circle strafe and call it innovating and it's the next best thing since sliced bread.

Yep, pretty much. Tor fans are gonna root for Tor, GW2 fans are gonna root for GW2.

Some of them are gonna bash the other game.

TOR has twileks. What are the cool GW2 races?

That Twi'lek looks a whole hell of alot better than the ones in ToR, lol

i dont know. nemro here seems like hes doing ok twi'lek wise ;)

http://media.dhcdn.com/2011/06/8193/8193-1020x700.fbiw62911.jpg