Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not join Perpetuum with me tonight?

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I mean lets be honest, if theres ever a time to try out this game, its right now. Sandbox, PvP, Economy, more action oriented, plus all the new corps and clans joining from other games?

A group of friends of mine just recently got together for a group chat last night and decided to get the game tonight (June 29th) around 8 PM Eastern time.

With most of them burnt out on WoW, a couple of disgruntled EvE players, and of course myself being a long time MMO player in need of something a little more hardcore, we talked about how Perp is the best choice for a sandbox game right now.

The Influx of EvE players will garuntee community and above all else, Action. PvP has always been one of my favorite parts of the MMO scene and you can be sure that were all going to do some mass PvP this week and weekend in PerP.

All I know is, I havent followed Perp since its release, but I know it got off to a rocky start. This could be exactly what the developers need to really make the game great, if they push it now it could go on to be a big name in the MMO scene, or at least better recognised and for right now, what else is there to play?

If your intrested in joining up with us, just PM me or post in this thread. See you guys in game!

Edit Note: Plus theres a 15 day free trial, in case anyone is just looking to PvP for the weekend.

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Great game but chill, they are having issues with the amount of prople trying to connect, so theres a player cap.

give it day or two for em to sort ti.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Simple: because its like Eve, Eve to me was the most boring piece of shit I have ever played, I honestly do not see how anyone finds Eve intersting or fun myself. Perpetuum is bascally a carbon copy of it using mechs. Both rely on you bascally playing a spreadsheet program, though Eve is more like this than Perpetuum. I just dislike the "Lose everything if you die part" Way to many asshat greifers in these kinds of games. I also disliked Eve because if you started late you can never catch up skill wise at all to someone else.

Eve did have some kick-ass music though, was about the only thing I liked in it. I may give Perpetuum a try, I am bored enough to give it a shot (I played it a bit during CB and was horrendously bored). I think there is a free trial too.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KhaosmachineKhaosmachine Member Posts: 2

Ok EVE was revolutionary back then but now they need to keep up with the times. It is boring now that there ismore interaction games out there they need to change it around. Then to have this game come out shows that people dont have any clue whats going on with games today the EVE style was nice and new when it came out but now its old and slow. The only way to make this game much better is to make it so you just click and shoot like any normal mech game lately. So I wouldnt see myself playing a game like this in a million years hell I could make a better game then these people could. EVE is dying and so will this before its even off the ground. This would have to be the game that has to go to free to play to barely survive or it would have to change the combat style there is no point in doing the EVE style its old and dead. 

• ExekileExekile Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Khaosmachine

lol I talk alot of crap... So I wouldnt see myself playing a game like this in a million years hell I could make a better game then these people could...  More crap

No you couldn't make a better game, stop saying retarded stuff.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Siveria

Simple: because its like Eve, Eve to me was the most boring piece of shit I have ever played, I honestly do not see how anyone finds Eve intersting or fun myself. Perpetuum is bascally a carbon copy of it using mechs. Both rely on you bascally playing a spreadsheet program, though Eve is more like this than Perpetuum. I just dislike the "Lose everything if you die part" Way to many asshat greifers in these kinds of games. I also disliked Eve because if you started late you can never catch up skill wise at all to someone else.

Eve did have some kick-ass music though, was about the only thing I liked in it. I may give Perpetuum a try, I am bored enough to give it a shot (I played it a bit during CB and was horrendously bored). I think there is a free trial too.

EVE is actually a pretty boring game and many EVE players accept this. 'Watch 3 grey bars turn slowly red'

However, the meta-game of EVE is what draws people in. It is a facinating MMO where the focus isn't on the product itself.

With the recent 'burning of EVE' I will sub to this along with some of my friends. Although not sure if the server issues have been fixed.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by jpnz

EVE is actually a pretty boring game and many EVE players accept this. 'Watch 3 grey bars turn slowly red'
    However, the meta-game of EVE is what draws people in. It is a facinating MMO where the focus isn't on the product itself.

With the recent 'burning of EVE' I will sub to this along with some of my friends. Although not sure if the server issues have been fixed.

They are now. So don't worry and join the fun!

Server load issues solved

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

Ok EVE was revolutionary back then but now they need to keep up with the times. It is boring now that there ismore interaction games out there they need to change it around. Then to have this game come out shows that people dont have any clue whats going on with games today the EVE style was nice and new when it came out but now its old and slow. The only way to make this game much better is to make it so you just click and shoot like any normal mech game lately. So I wouldnt see myself playing a game like this in a million years hell I could make a better game then these people could. EVE is dying and so will this before its even off the ground. This would have to be the game that has to go to free to play to barely survive or it would have to change the combat style there is no point in doing the EVE style its old and dead. 

Do you have anything to back that up or are you saying this basically because YOU don't like either game.  What exactly is "going on with games today" ?  The pace of Eve may be slow at times but from all descriptions, that is one of the places Perpetuum differs.  Is there any reason to say the interface needs to be stripped down to a point and click interface (or click and shoot) or is that just your preference?

Even considering the number of people on this forum saying that they are leaving EVE, there is no evidence that EVE is dying http://www.xfire.com/games/eve/Eve_Online/.  Perpetuum and Fallen Earth have both seen a boost in population roughly coinciding with the EVE marketplace controversy http://www.xfire.com/games/fallenearth/Fallen_Earth/    http://www.xfire.com/games/perpetuum/Perpetuum/, but both are a drop in the bucket compared to the size of Eve.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Originally posted by osmunda

Do you have anything to back that up or are you saying this basically because YOU don't like either game.  What exactly is "going on with games today" ?  The pace of Eve may be slow at times but from all descriptions, that is one of the places Perpetuum differs.  Is there any reason to say the interface needs to be stripped down to a point and click interface (or click and shoot) or is that just your preference?

Even considering the number of people on this forum saying that they are leaving EVE, there is no evidence that EVE is dying http://www.xfire.com/games/eve/Eve_Online/.  Perpetuum and Fallen Earth have both seen a boost in population roughly coinciding with the EVE marketplace controversy http://www.xfire.com/games/fallenearth/Fallen_Earth/    http://www.xfire.com/games/perpetuum/Perpetuum/, but both are a drop in the bucket compared to the size of Eve.

21,000 at 1pm EST today for EVE. A holiday weekend here in America even. That definitely is a "Drop in the Bucket!"

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

. So I wouldnt see myself playing a game like this in a million years hell I could make a better game then these people could.

I'd have to admit to having similar negative thoughts about PO when it first got released.   literally a few days into the game and I was over whelmed with a feeling of 'pointlessness'

So I gave it one last shot and joined a corp...  that really turned it all around for me.  I wont go into specifics other than to say its like moving from high-sec to 0.0,  things have a lot more meaning.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

Have they adjusted the scale at all or do all the 'supposed' 50 foot tall robots still look like tiny little RC action figures standing next to blades of grass and bushes taller than them? I played in beta and remember the entire game reminding me of that show that used to be on where people would build little robots and pit them against each other in an arena. I even watched a couple of the more recent PvP vidoes and it looks like hundreds of little robot ants scurrying around. Hey, if that's the lore of the game and everyone is a Tyco racer with a gun cool. I just couldn't get into an online version of Rock'm Sock'm Robots.

• hiphopreignshiphopreigns Member Posts: 7

Uh, you can dislike Eve all you want. But at least stop spewing out idiotic and incorrect statements about it. WoW's not my style, but I won't go around talking **** about it and come off as a moron like a lot of people do. There are a lot of griefers in Eve, as with any MMO. Still, it's relatively safe if you're the carebear you seem to be.

And the whole "started late so I can never catch up" whiny BS is just that... BS. Catch up to WHAT, exactly? There are so many viable professions it's ridiculous. There is no 80th level cap and one set of shiny l33t armor that lets everyone know you're the best. I still don't understand what this point even means? You can't catch up to whom? You can't take on a PvP vet one-on-one? Yeah, no ****. But when are fights ever one on one? Even then it depends on your tactics, ships, etc. Hell, I'm still relatively a new player and I don't care about "catching up" to anyone. It's obvious you were playing the wrong game anyway.

Staying on topic... I dunno. PO doesn't seem to *grab* me. I'm into MMOs for the exploration aspect. The "Whoa, this is cool" feeling. I don't get that with PO. Just seems like a multiplayer mech game to me.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Can't say much about Perpetuum now but i was in the closed beta for a while,but i will say if u like Eve's style and general no lvl gameplay this could be for you at the time it was obviously very restricted and most of the features where not available.

But generally was very impressed with the overall quality and yeah the interface took me back to my 3 year stint in Eve,also the crafting aspect looked very deep and plenty of options regarding which way to take your toon career wise.

Just now giveing AOC a go again and very impressed with the unchained aspect just wish Funcom were not to stingy with classes,so maybe i'll try Perp's trial as this as always been on the back burner for me just need to work around my shift patterns at work to play all these games !!

p>

if you were in beta, reactivate your old account,  beta pilots got 20k extra EP than anyone else.

I played from about a week or so after release, and id have to say a lot as improved now.  just needs to add more content, which is coming this summer acording to the last blog.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Originally posted by xpowderx

Originally posted by osmunda

21,000 at 1pm EST today for EVE. A holiday weekend here in America even. That definitely is a "Drop in the Bucket!"

Yes it's a holiday today for the US , more the reason why there are less people online , since most people have lives and want to celebrate outside with their friends instead of playing online infront of the freaking PC's.  God , anyone on this site with a IQ over 40?   I mean ,it's common sense.    Oh look , half the WoW servers have zero population in them!  Of course you dim wit, their in maintenance.

• SraikSraik Member Posts: 23

Been at Perp for about two weeks now and enjoying it quite well.  I have to admit that EvE was my first MMO and I liked it as well (I have tried other MMO's, but the seem pretty lame to my tastes; I just prefer the Sandbox).

While not as polished as EvE, the Devs seem generally interested in providing a product that the player base enjoys.  I like their responsiveness and also the attitude of the community.  As it is one of the only Sanbox SF games going (besides EvE), it appears to be an adequate alternative for those, like myself, that are tired of paying CCP to underdeliver on EvE.

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Sraik

As it is one of the only Sanbox SF games going (besides EvE), it appears to be an adequate alternative for those, like myself, that are tired of paying CCP to underdeliver on EvE.

Tried this game, and it cannot compete with Eve. Also there were tons of cheating and bugabbusing in the start that gave some people a huge advantage moneywise.

Not a bad game, but it is a small indie game and mostly for those that love mechs and sandbox.

I wish them good luck, but to pick on Eve and point to this game is just retarted, as it is a dumbed down version of it based on a planet with mechs.

• SraikSraik Member Posts: 23

Don't get me wrong; EvE is a fine game and I enjoyed playing it for many years.  Not picking on it at all.  It has a depth that is pretty amazing. 

It is simply that I feel it is being taken a direction that I don't have an interest in paying for.  CCP has no obligation to take their game the direction that I, personally want; but it doesn't mean that I am going to pay for their product.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Perpetuum is an EVE clone with a differently themed wrapper and some serious issues to iron out. For example, the player avatars (no matter how you design them) are ugly, low-res, cartoony, amateurish garbage. They end up looking like someone took a crap on canvas and added Play-Doh for some color. Yes yes, I know: Real sandbox gamers don't care about avatars... except that when something screams "amateurish crap", someone trying the game out for the first time might just log out and delete it from their system. Personally, I'd rather have no avatar at all than that mess.

All right, I'll move on to more mechanics-related issues. For new players, the most lucrative activity at the moment is spamming out the same handful of courier missions along a preset route over and over again perpetually for — what — dozens of hours? When I tried Perpetuum recently, I started doing it myself. Since I was traveling along the standard route (as outlined and identified in the community Wiki), I witnessed numerous other players following this strategy as well. Many of them had larger robots and/or were actually multiboxing, made obvious by clues such as their pilots being named systematically, traveling together, and going AFK together.

Mining, industry, combat missions, and similar are significantly less lucrative than the above-described nonsense in Perpetuum (at least in the beginning). Piracy isn't a viable career option, for some reason (or so everyone in the general chat told me; they all agreed with each other). Much as in EVE, I'm sure PvP and territory control are the real meat of Perpetuum, but when the fundamentals are so completely screwed up, I'm not sure I can be bothered. I feel I'd be better off simply returning to EVE. I've been on hiatus from EVE for a little while.

To top it all off, there are no POSes (read: persistent player structures) available to build in Perpetuum, and the game world is slightly more detailed than EVE's but also much, much smaller. Perpetuum has a crapton of catching up to do, from where I'm standing.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• ZX81SpectrumZX81Spectrum Member Posts: 39

To call Perpetuum an EVE clone is a little harsh. I would actually say it's very simular to EVE, but not a clone. Yes it uses the same UI overlay, lots of right clicking and spreadsheet menus, but hey wouldn't games like EQ, EQ2, WoW, GW all be clones of eachother then. ( I know some say they are :P, but I consider them very different games ).

I started playing Perpetuum 10 days ago and I must say I find it fun and entertaining. I must grant some of the people that say it's an EVE clone a little credit. It's freaking easy to get into the game mechanics and training of skills (in this case extensions) if you are used to playing EVE, but that is where I think  most of the simularities stop. The use of Terrain in pvp (ye ye I got blown up pretty fast going commando on a PO vet lol) and the basic fact that you are controlling a robot with wasd movement makes it very different from EVE. I can definitely recommend giving Perpetuum a try to all MMO players that like Sandbox + Sci-Fi. At this time the sandbox is a little small and the economy is not "Stable", but hey, give it a try :)

TL;DR : Perpetuum good, simular to EVE, but not clone :P

40 Year old couples and gaming. Toons borrowed from Cyanide and Happiness.Text is Yours truly. Paint ftw :)

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I would totally play this game except I cant get over the enviornments.  It looks terrible, and from asking around I've come to the conclusion that it looks terrible the whole time.  I'll revisit in a year and see how this game has progressed.  Till then my account will sit idle.

As far as I remember Eve players usually put their graphics down to an absolute minimum, and even requested that it can been played in 'wire-frame' mode O_O

Thats because Eve players, in general, dont care about what Eve looks like.  And the recent events prove that.  Players have basically gone insane with madness because they have something which looks great... how dare they make something look great! *rage quit!!*

Of course, any true eve player knows what eve is about.

Clearly not many Eve players in this thread at all lol.... "characters look crap"..... "running missions are boring" (lol).. and "the envoiroment looks bad"...

What next... Mining is boring?...  u guys crack me up. xD

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Mining is retardedly boring, for the record

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Mining is retardedly boring, for the record

Dont tell any eve players that,  poor eve would have no miners left xD