Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some new videos! Rytlock and the Ascalon dungeon.

Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

I hadn't seen a thread for this yet, so...

Dungeon intro! Oh my golly, golly gosh that looks good. I love how they're intermixing their art assets like that.

And the gameplay! In which we get to see a flamethrower in action! Woo!

So there you have it.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

This game just keeps looking better and better. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Awesome intro video. Very stylish. :)

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Nice vids, but I would like to see some PvP content/action soon.

Originally posted by bleyzwun

Nice vids, but I would like to see some PvP content/action soon.

agreed!

• F2PMMOF2PMMO Member UncommonPosts: 122

The intro was really something; that is typical of Arenanet.

The gameplay scenes however seemed kind of unfinished, unpolished in some way; all the different spells from the different characters piling upon eachother like some kind of ashheap. The scenery looked sometimes great, at other times simplistic, again unfinished and a far cry from the Manifesto video.

So I guess there is still a long way to go before the game will be launched.  

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

My view on this is probably going to be different then you guys. so bare with me:

Regarding the intro cinematic that was really good. i like the charr guy at the end. I didn't care too much for the dialog. Girl was foolish and got trapped in a dungeon. *shrugs shoulders* pretty standard fare.  The artwork is well done even though i don't care for the way they are doing it. keep cutting to the artwork instead of staying in game. But it's a style and therefore won't fault them on it.

Moving onto the combat in dungeon...hmm where do i start :P

starting off with the positive.

I like the fireball effect and the dungeon artwork is well done and the models look good too, and i do like the DDO type dungeons with the fire trap.

The biggest issues i have are first that you appear to be fighting monsters for ages.

Second for most of that video your standing in one place blasting, slashing blasting slashing. Theres no dodging no blocking. Just typical dungeon fighting. I really hope this isn't what the entire game is like because i thought the combat system was suppose to be the best part of this game or at least on scale with the DE. I saw more dodging in swtor to be honest with the crounching behind objects.

Theres a point when the mobs are literally being bombarded with fire and every known element including slashing and it lives..I was okay with this in FF because it was expected.  But i would have liked them to at least react to it.

lastly i'm gathering the enemy AI ins't in place as most of the mobs just sit there with 5 or so adventurers blasting at them.

Overall a well done video. Looks like DDO but well done.

Just my opinion and observation of course.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by whilan

My view on this is probably going to be different then you guys. so bare with me:

Regarding the intro cinematic that was really good. i like the charr guy at the end. I didn't care too much for the dialog. Girl was foolish and got trapped in a dungeon. *shrugs shoulders* pretty standard fare.  The artwork is well done even though i don't care for the way they are doing it. keep cutting to the artwork instead of staying in game. But it's a style and therefore won't fault them on it.

I like the fireball effect and the dungeon artwork is well done and the models look good too, and i do like the DDO type dungeons with the fire trap.

The biggest issues i have are first that you appear to be fighting monsters for ages.

Second for most of that video your standing in one place blasting, slashing blasting slashing. Theres no dodging no blocking. Just typical dungeon fighting. I really hope this isn't what the entire game is like because i thought the combat system was suppose to be the best part of this game or at least on scale with the DE. I saw more dodging in swtor to be honest with the crounching behind objects.

Theres a point when the mobs are literally being bombarded with fire and every known element including slashing and it lives..I was okay with this in FF because it was expected.  But i would have liked them to at least react to it.

lastly i'm gathering the enemy AI ins't in place as most of the mobs just sit there with 5 or so adventurers blasting at them.

Your observation is of people who are new to the game being thrust into the dungeons at level 27. This isn't a video of devs playing the game so dodging and tactical movement of that sort would be few and far between.

This is not a game.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Your observation is of people who are new to the game being thrust into the dungeons at level 27. This isn't a video of devs playing the game so dodging and tactical movement of that sort would be few and far between.

There are so many more videos of people doing just that, that I don't understand how he could keep arguing for the same thing.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

I hated this gameplay combat compilation as much as the first one because it is not like the game at all, its just a bunch of people standing there and hitting and you barely know what is happening

But live gameplay on the other hand looks a lot more exciting

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Bit sexist, no? >_> It was less 'damsel in distress' and more 'insane warrior woman.' The insane warrior woman went in to prove her worth, and Rytlock is more worried that she's going to stir up the ghosts and cause a shitload of trouble for the charr rather than being worried about Eir, speciically. Eir can handle herself. So no, not really the typical sort of thing at all.

And they've been going with this particular style since the beginning. Everyone who's been exposed to an iota of Guild Wars 2 information knows that they want to merge 2D and 3D art assets to create a stronger and more individual artistic presence. And, as someone who dabbles with art and has a great appreciation of art direction, I actually like what they're doing. Still, to each their own. I suppose most though like their high-action CGI trailers which often have no artistic merit to speak of.

The people playing the dungeon weren't ArenaNet themselves (no canned footage here) but just everyday people, Guild Wars fans. And what one of them said was that they had a tough time playing the game until they stopped trying to play it as Guild Wars 1, and accepted it as its own game, at that point they got a lot better at it. That was Rubi, she was playing the Engineer.

Yep, again, this was due to the fans trying to play it Guild Wars 1 style. And they found that in doing so they were getting their arses handed to htem.

They are ghosts from a high-end dungeon. And to say it again, you have to understand that these were people who'd never played the game before. You're expecting a professional performance from everyday joes. This isn't Star Wars: The Old Republic, which is primarily canned footage played by the developers and their QA people, this is just average joes playing the game for the first time. You have to understand that.

The AI probably isn't complete. This is a new area they're showing off, after all, and the AI didn't really have much to cope with if we're being honest. it isn't like the players were being that mobile, so the AI was maximising its damage by concentrating its attacks on the static players. I think if we'd seen better players, we would've seen more reactionary AI, as we have seen in past videos where we've actually seen good players playing this game.

I played DDO for two years and see no relation. >_> Other than a narrator, of course, but then you could say that any MMO with a narrator is like any Turbine game that has a narrator. But Turbine's narrator was just a disembodied voice that yammered in the background of the action, quite annoyingly sometimes. The voices here actually belong to characters. So even there it's not too Turbine like.

But you're always going to get that with some people. It looks like WoW, or LotRO, or Warhammer, or DDO, it looks like everything on the market to some people. But yeah, I'm just not seeing it.

Likewise!

Originally posted by dinams

I hated this gameplay combat compilation as much as the first one because it is not like the game at all, its just a bunch of people standing there and hitting and you barely know what is happening

But live gameplay on the other hand looks a lot more exciting

agreed!

Originally posted by Kuppa

There are so many more videos of people doing just that, that I don't understand how he could keep arguing for the same thing.

Don't ask me mate, I'm just going to assume he thought it was devs playing it.

This is not a game.

• Crake_1Crake_1 Member Posts: 82

The underwater combat demo with Jon Peters is actually a pretty good demonstration of how moving helps prevent damage. Even against the Centaur that he fights first, he is able to evade about half the attacks simply by strafing. And he carries that through to underwater encounters as well. 

Moving in battle comes completely naturally to him, and lets him avoud a significant number of hits. He was able to do a lot of that even while distracted by narrating his gameplay and talking about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfph49mdiPY

Bigger encounters and bigger enemies would warrant actual dodge rolling, and I can only imagine how much moving will be make-or-break in PvP where avoiding damage will be essential. 

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

I'm not going to comment on the gameplay since others already covered that, but I will ask you what is a better way to introduce a player to the backstory of a dungeon, than these amazing art animations? Yes, you said "it's a style" but reading between the lines it's clear you don't like it. So..

Using concept art, they covered everything and made the story look epic, while at the same time leaving a lot to imagination.

One other option I can think of is using only ingame models, which frankly look like.. well, just imagine presenting that whole story (the charr attack, king Adelbern, the explosion etc.) using only the game engine.. it just wouldn't look half as good and epic as the art and it would also be much more time consuming.

The second option is making a whole CGI for every dungeon, which is quite impossible, because they would then had to make even more for other aspects of the personal story. Not to mention how expensive these things get.

The only downside to the existing method is that the transition is not as seamless as in let's say SWTOR cutscenes. But that's it. And did I mention it looks epic?

Eat me!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It looked good and people have to remember this is no tank and spank game anymore. The holy trinity is gone so ofcourse you ae going to have a different style of combat. Rytlock was awesome. :)

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Don't ask me mate, I'm just going to assume he thought it was devs playing it.

That's what I assumed, too. I just don't think that some people are prepared for ArenaNet's candour, though I do think that people like that are in the minority. Very much stuck in the past. It's become less and less acceptable to show off only CGI or canned gameplay footage to advertise a game. Advertising and PR in some cases is being seen as more and more dishonest.

That's the virtue of the Internet. People can point out to other people that they're having the wool pulled over their eyes.

"Yes, it was a nice action-filled CGI trailer, but what did it tell us about the game... really?"

The answer is often nothing. CGI is what happens in adverts or in the opening of a game, but is rarely ever seen in the game itself, it's highly unrepresentative of the actual game itself. The next thing that PR companies tried was canned gameplay, but only showing specifically what they wanted to show, and never inviting the random element of everyday joes, which may show off things that they wouldn't want people to see.

If there's one thing I like ArenaNet for (of the many things, I admit)... it's their candour.

"Here is the game. Play it. Have fun."

No canned footage. Which often means that you're going to get a broad variety of players. Watching the demo videos I saw people ranging from incredibly skilled, who could watch the battlefield and own it, putting blocking and dodging to good use, to people who'd just stand there smashing a key and get owned by mobs. Let's be honest, how many times did we see that? Quite a few. There were points where they had to tone down the difficulty just so tha these people wouldn't get owned all the time, but when the game rolls around, they'll have to learn to play a new way.

But yeah, I remember things like centaurs taking some people down in a few hits, but some players doing the same to centaurs, showing that it could go either way, and really separating the good players from the bad.

To get a true feel for what this game is, it's best to just watch a lot of videos from the demo. Player-played videos.

But again, I think what the problem was with this particular person was that they just expect to be 'shown awesome,' and that's that. Like CGI trailers or canned footage. They don't expect to be exposed to players of varying levels of skill. And that's a shame. But they'll come around because eventually they have to realise just how much of a con CGI nonsense and canned footage are, too.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Meh everyone is acting like i don't know this game.  Really guys, i was talking about this particular trailer, this showing of the game.  They looked like they were standing still and getting along just fine.

Granted i don't like the style they are doing, thats why it's personal tastes.  It happens. Like i said i don't fault em for it as i'd prefer a more seemless style.  But as thats just me, it's okay.

I'm commenting on this video though as it appears it's the most recent. Dungeons were touted as being very hard.  Maybe they removed the 100k deaths people had throughout the dungeons to make it look more epic, but to be frank and honest, someone looks at this video after hearing it's got great combat that you need to use dodge, then they see this...they are going to go...okay so wheres the dodging wheres the evading? this looks like all the other games i've played.

The way the combat was thrown at me as being revolutionary and a step up from the norm i was expecting more monster hunter style.  When i didn't see that it came off as it's good but nothing great.

yeah i'm nitpicking on some things but you need to do that. it's how you make the game better, you don't just say oh it's arenanet so it must be great. You ask questions, say couldn't this be better if it required player skill to avoid these attacks. Throughout most of that video they are just standing static, Granted it could be players, but it seemed odd. Players tend to move around more anyways.

The video linking the sea combat. i do llike that you can push the mob down and up in the water that is nice but i can strafe in most games and get away from an attack.  used to do this all the time in EQ1. it was called kiting, wasn't exactly the same thing but it was similar, stay either out of the enemies cone or move away so the mob misses and has to run you down.

About the girl herself. I don't know much about the lore of the world. The "foolish" comment was the charr's own words and i gathered from watching it she got trapped..okay she is doing something that is dangerous. Shes still in a tunnel and you need to get to her. It's a little better but i guess for repeating content you can't have awesome stories.

It's mostly down to personal taste but i didn't see the awesome combat that was touted in that video. I've watched a total of i think 3 videos in every case it's the same.  You hit the mob it becomes active. It runs B-line towards you, you can dodge it's attacks but in most cases it will make a B-Line for you, except in cases where they do a special move like that boss creature in the water. Otherwise it stands there and attacks  you face to face. If you guys got a video that is showing mobs getting out of line of sight, trying to call for allies or at least making it hard for you to cast spells (ala not just running up to the player and smacking them in the face) i'd love to see it.

Again there isn't anything wrong with this, but i was sort of expecting monster hunter style combat as thats the perception i got. You get hit your going to feel it. Thus you need to put protective magic on, dodge most attacks and know when to hit. Appearntly that observation is wrong and it's dodge occasionally and hit it with magic and weapons and hope it dies before and hope you don't die before your self heal repops. Dodge helps i'll agree but now it kinda looks like thats something you can do to avoid some attacks. It's not a required thing as it is in say monster hunter.

Like i said it's okay. it just didn't impress me.  But thats my opinion..I'm allowed to have that right GW2  fans? :P

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

I'm commenting on this video though as it appears it's the most recent. Dungeons were touted as being very hard.  Maybe they removed the 100k deaths people had throughout the dungeons to make it look more epic, but to be frank and honest, someone looks at this video after hearing it's got great combat that you need to use dodge, then they see this...they are going to go...okay so wheres the dodging wheres the evading? this looks like all the other games i've played.

The way the combat was thrown at me as being revolutionary and a step up from the norm i was expecting more monster hunter style.  When i didn't see that it came off as it's good but nothing great.

Well if they do some research and see this video was of the story mode and not the explorer mode, they would know this is not the hard core dungeon. In fact they would know that only one group at the fan day finish one version of the explorer mode and it took them 4 hours to do it. Plus if they actually read the article written by the people that are in the video, they would know you needed to be active and dodge even in story mode. Since ever single article said they died all the time before they adapted to the GW2 combat system.

So these people that ask where the dodging is or evading can either read the articles that are all over the net, and realize this is a video that was edited just to show the basics of a dungeon. And frankly if they are not smart enough to do that, then they really should not be playing video games. Maybe they should start playing stick ball I think it is more there speed.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Like i said it's okay. it just didn't impress me.  But thats my opinion..I'm allowed to have that right GW2  fans? :P

Of course you're allowed to have an opinion, but you shouldn't be surprised when people do the same thing with GW2 that you do for SW:ToR.  :)

You defend the game you like, because if you feel it's indefensible, it would be kind of strange to like it. :D

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Well if they do some research and see this video was of the story mode and not the explorer mode, they would know this is not the hard core dungeon. In fact they would know that only one group at the fan day finish one version of the explorer mode and it took them 4 hours to do it. Plus if they actually read the article written by the people that are in the video, they would know you needed to be active and dodge even in story mode. Since ever single article said they died all the time before they adapted to the GW2 combat system.

It's worth noting that this is the first of 10 dungeons, in the easiest mode, that they're displaying.

I can only assume the next 9 dungeons are harder, and the explorable mode which is supposed to be harder is also harder.

So yeah.  If they made this content really difficult, that would be most people being stopped at the FIRST dungeon's story (easy) mode.  D:

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

you know what, if eir is a foolish norn and we have to run in to prevent a ****storm, that would make our odds of completing the dungeon fairly low...let me do the calculations.

lets see...

foolish * norn = eir stegalkin

foolish + impatient = leeroy jenkins

killroy stonekin = leeroy jenkins * dwarf = foolish dwarf + impatient dwarf

dwarf * 3 = norn (estimated value by mass)

therefore...

leeroy jenkins * 3 = eir stegalkin

...oh god I hope not...

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

Originally posted by Meowhead

It's worth noting that this is the first of 10 dungeons, in the easiest mode, that they're displaying.

I can only assume the next 9 dungeons are harder, and the explorable mode which is supposed to be harder is also harder.

So yeah.  If they made this content really difficult, that would be most people being stopped at the FIRST dungeon's story (easy) mode.  D:

Do we know that there are 10 dungeons now? In the dev diary Mr. Grubb say that there are 8 dungeons as of time the article was written, with 3 explorer modes each, for a grand total of 32 separate dungeon runs. 

So, when we say that there are currently eight dungeons, we really mean there are thirty-two dungeons, as each dungeon has a story version and three explorable versions.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

A few impressions..

First off that intro video is BAD ASS. Love the mix of artwork with effects and in game graphics. Amazingly well done.

The actual gameplay looked pretty good. About what I expected.

But those particle effects and light trails are way too much. I cant help but imagine large scale pvp being a lightshow clusterf**k. They really gotta tone it down a bit imo. Even with only 5 people it was kind of hard seeing anything at times.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I think if you don't like the particle effects you are out of luck. Perhaps they'll have some options to turn them down. But they did specifically say that they wanted each skill to be visually recognizable.

I'm generally not a fan of these combat compilations, I think they look worse than seeing people play. For example, I thought the underwater video from gamespot was much better done. If they oculd do something like that in a group setting I think it would look a lot better.

I loved the intro. But if you don't like that style then there is nothing we can do to change your opinion.

Meh everyone is acting like i don't know this game.  Really guys, i was talking about this particular trailer, this showing of the game.  They looked like they were standing still and getting along just fine.

Granted i don't like the style they are doing, thats why it's personal tastes.  It happens. Like i said i don't fault em for it as i'd prefer a more seemless style.  But as thats just me, it's okay.

yeah i'm nitpicking on some things but you need to do that. it's how you make the game better, you don't just say oh it's arenanet so it must be great. You ask questions, say couldn't this be better if it required player skill to avoid these attacks. Throughout most of that video they are just standing static, Granted it could be players, but it seemed odd. Players tend to move around more anyways.

The video linking the sea combat. i do llike that you can push the mob down and up in the water that is nice but i can strafe in most games and get away from an attack.  used to do this all the time in EQ1. it was called kiting, wasn't exactly the same thing but it was similar, stay either out of the enemies cone or move away so the mob misses and has to run you down.

About the girl herself. I don't know much about the lore of the world. The "foolish" comment was the charr's own words and i gathered from watching it she got trapped..okay she is doing something that is dangerous. Shes still in a tunnel and you need to get to her. It's a little better but i guess for repeating content you can't have awesome stories.

It's mostly down to personal taste but i didn't see the awesome combat that was touted in that video. I've watched a total of i think 3 videos in every case it's the same.  You hit the mob it becomes active. It runs B-line towards you, you can dodge it's attacks but in most cases it will make a B-Line for you, except in cases where they do a special move like that boss creature in the water. Otherwise it stands there and attacks  you face to face. If you guys got a video that is showing mobs getting out of line of sight, trying to call for allies or at least making it hard for you to cast spells (ala not just running up to the player and smacking them in the face) i'd love to see it.

Again there isn't anything wrong with this, but i was sort of expecting monster hunter style combat as thats the perception i got. You get hit your going to feel it. Thus you need to put protective magic on, dodge most attacks and know when to hit. Appearntly that observation is wrong and it's dodge occasionally and hit it with magic and weapons and hope it dies before and hope you don't die before your self heal repops. Dodge helps i'll agree but now it kinda looks like thats something you can do to avoid some attacks. It's not a required thing as it is in say monster hunter.

No, I just feel you didn't ask the right questions before making your "observations".

This is not a game.