Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More of the same ?

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Been watching some videos of TERA and it seems it is just more of the same old same old. Tank and spank bosses with xp grind. What sets this game apart from everyone else ? If someone wanted to play this game what would be the major selling point of the game ?

Comments

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

i feel ya man, i look at all those screenshots of the unrealistic weapons 3x the size of your body. the combat is just like Argo with a bit better graphics and a fantasy theme. The game is another asian grind, and i've watched videos and played the same types of games. It's nothing special, just fans from Lineage 2 coming to Lineage 3 (TERA)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

TERA is essentially a beefed up version of PSO/PSU with lots of different classes,  a much larger world,  and a broader aim range for ranged weapons.  

The combat is just one of the things that sets the game apart from others,   with no target locking and positioning being key for just about every kill, as well as blocking and so on.

Many enemies you come across are very large and epic looking,  and the character models are pretty much the pinnacle of asian fantasy titles, possibly only being outmatched by Archeage.

If WoW is on one end of the spectrum of combat,  I would say TERA would be on the complete opposite end of that spectrum, and one of the reasons I'm also looking forward to PSO2

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by Serenex

i feel ya man, i look at all those screenshots of the unrealistic weapons 3x the size of your body. the combat is just like Argo with a bit better graphics and a fantasy theme. The game is another asian grind, and i've watched videos and played the same types of games. It's nothing special, just fans from Lineage 2 coming to Lineage 3 (TERA)

I'm not waiting for Tera or anything, but it doesn't seem like it's like Argo at all.  Argo is more of a bootleg Aion with that bootleg TPS mode.  From what I understand the combat in Tera is more action style and there is no option to switch between regular targetting and TPS.  I was under the impression that you had to aim at all times. 

Also, from what I've been hearing, it's not grindy enough for Koreans... so I'm not sure about it being another asian grind. 

Anyway, I don't really know much about Tera, so I could be wrong.  Just what I've been reading here and there.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by maskedweasel

TERA is essentially a beefed up version of PSO/PSU with lots of different classes,  a much larger world,  and a broader aim range for ranged weapons.  

The combat is just one of the things that sets the game apart from others,   with no target locking and positioning being key for just about every kill, as well as blocking and so on.

Many enemies you come across are very large and epic looking,  and the character models are pretty much the pinnacle of asian fantasy titles, possibly only being outmatched by Archeage.

If WoW is on one end of the spectrum of combat,  I would say TERA would be on the complete opposite end of that spectrum, and one of the reasons I'm also looking forward to PSO2

I hope PSO2 is more of a MMO and has more to do than PSU.  If they're going the same route as PSU, they might as well just not charge subs and go with the PSP:2 way of connecting with players.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by Serenex

Originally posted by slim26

Are you serious? Oh wait I see you two waiting for GW2 nvm.

you got a problem with gw2?

Actually I have no problem with any new mmo in the making, as in I do not worship any but interested in many.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Sounds pretty decent. I'll just have to keep an eye out for more info.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Been watching some videos of TERA and it seems it is just more of the same old same old. Tank and spank bosses with xp grind. What sets this game apart from everyone else ? If someone wanted to play this game what would be the major selling point of the game ?

This is what I am looking foward to.

1. Political System: I will not play a mmo if it is not made to where the players can actually have a real influence on the game world it self. I have learned from my years of playing Lineage 2 that this is what defines a real mmo.  For more info click the link below.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/477/videoId/1986

2. True Open World Exploration: When was the last time a AAA mmo released that had a real open seemless world to explore?  This is one of the main things that made people fall in love with mmos back in the golden age and its about damn time somebody finally understands how important this is to players.

3. Combat System: I know Tera is not the first mmo to have a combat system where you have to aim but it looks like the first game to acutally perfect it and feature it in a real open world. You have to Aim, Jump, Block, Dodge and actually figure out how to beat some of the mobs and bosses. Finally another game where people will be known for how well they play their class. For more info click link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Jqw_ASI9o 

So those are my main 3 selling points and I cant wait to play this game.

Now for all the haters click the link below.

http://www.tera-online.com/node/783

• SatchoSatcho Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by Mannish

Originally posted by SaintViktor

This is what I am looking foward to.

1. Political System: I will not play a mmo if it is not made to where the players can actually have a real impact on the game world it self. I have learned from my years of playing Lineage 2 that this is what defines a real mmo.  For me info click the link below.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/477/videoId/1986

2. True Open World Exploration: When was the last time a AAA mmo released that had a real open seemless world to explore?  This is one of the main things that made people fall in love with mmos back in the golden age and its about damn time somebody finally understands how important this is to players.

3. Combat System: I know Tera is not the first mmo to have a combat system where you have to aim but it looks like the first game to acutally perfect it and feature it in a real open world. You have to Aim, Jump, Block, Dogde and actually figure out how to beat some of mobs and bosses. Finally another game where people will be known for how well they play their class. For more info click link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Jqw_ASI9o 

So those are my main 3 selling points and I cant wait to play this game.

For more info click the link below.

http://www.tera-online.com/node/783

I'm with you. Those are the main points that set TERA apart - hope they don't f*** it up. 

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I think the problem with TERA's marketing is that, they focused so much on the idea of "true action combat" that everything else seems like the same with the other 'WoW clones', where actually it isn't.

It has political system where players can earn favour and eventually going for election to be mayor of the city, in turns you can alter the price of taxes and trading. This is actually a heavy sandbox feature. One that I'm most looking forward to. The potential of this system is so vast, the devs will really need to take advantage of this.

Action combat, I liked the fresh take on the combat system, noting that, to me, this system is a catching point of this game. Is it actually the most important thing in the game? It isn't, as a lot of single player games suggested before, having great combat isn't good enough to be called a great game, it provides a refreshing 10 minutes of gameplay, than you will need a more substantial feature or mechanic to tie in content with this combat system, this is where the political system comes in, with other endgame features, such as dungeons and raid, etc.

Art style, I don't understand why people hate it so much, its fantasy, it doesn't really require a explanation to why people can hold a sword twice their size, just like in WoW, how come this tiny human can tank on a giant ass boss and not get one shotted? Stupid logic, as much as everyone wants realism in a game, ultimately you are playing a fantasy or sci-fi game, there are often things that can't be explain with logic, and to try to explain game plots wth logic is plain stupid. All I know is, the art style is great, if you think a game is bad because a girl doesn't wear enough armor, or isn't big enough to hold that sword, you shouldn't be playing games.

Before E3, I was only focusing on SWTOR and GW2, seems like TERA will be great after the story in SWTOR runs out.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.