Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vetren Gamer to you, Definatly trial this game. Ignore reviews

124»

Comments

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by popinjay

Rift has better graphics and animations than most MMO

Feel free to disagree and provide examples how any other game is better on all the above facts.

1) Aion has better graphics and animations.

2) Warhammer has better graphics and animations (or equal)
    3) Age of Conan has better graphics and animations.
    4) FFXIV has better graphics and animations.
    5) EQ2 has better graphics.
    6) EvE has better graphics and animations.
    7) APB has better graphics (not sure about animations)
    8) DCUO has better graphics and animations.

But considering there are probably hundreds of MMOs, your statement is technically a true statement worthy of corporate speakage.

edit: While you claim yours as "facts", I'll state mine as opinion.

Let's stop on AoC for the comparison as supposedly the MMO with the best graphics around, mind you?

While AoC is handling much more polys, the graphics are inconsistent and many textures and effects are overdone. For example while the leather textures are great the clothes ones are really bad. Another example: the bloom is really too high in AoC making your eyes bleed too often. The grass effect makes your character do the chopper effect. The trees aren't really that good either. The color palette is also inconsistent. I know from inside input it's not really the fault of the artists but the suits that pushed hard to rush things in the end.

Still RIFT is not only much more consistent but everything blends perfectly together and not the least it runs like a charrm on average rigs.

BTW it seems you agree that none MMO is better than RIFT on all mentioned entries. And I insist RIFT is far from average in all that fields, it's in the top 3 in each of them.

Rift does some things better than some mmos, and does worse on other things than other mmos. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that I don't list all the other things you posted just shows I'm not as bored to make out a complete game by game list and simply went for the easist 'win'... graphics. Imo RIFT isn't better graphically or animation wise than most of the recently released AAA mmos.

Doesn't mean because I don't address every point (which would take all day) means I agree with them, lol.

In fact, all the things you list up there are satisfactorily countered by Teala in February retroactively lol, someone with whom I've had vigorous disagreements in the past over games but will say she pegged right here. Many of the things you just said about AoC she shows you in screenies (like clipping and inconsistancies) and perfectly articulates RIFT having the same problems.

RIFT is a good, average game with not enough stuff to do in the end of it, that's all.

edit: HOW do you know from 'inside input' that suits are at fault? What source? Even so, does it matter? It's RIFT, not 'Suits and Artists'.

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Rift has better graphics and animations than most MMO

Feel free to disagree and provide examples how any other game is better on all the above facts.

1) Aion has better graphics and animations.

2) Warhammer has better graphics and animations (or equal)

3) Age of Conan has better graphics and animations.

4) FFXIV has better graphics and animations.

5) EQ2 has better graphics.

6) EvE has better graphics and animations.

7) APB has better graphics (not sure about animations)

8) DCUO has better graphics and animations.

But considering there are probably hundreds of MMOs, your statement is technically a true statement worthy of corporate speakage.

edit: While you claim yours as "facts", I'll state mine as opinion.

Let's stop on AoC for the comparison as supposedly the MMO with the best graphics around, mind you?

While AoC is handling much more polys, the graphics are inconsistent and many textures and effects are overdone. For example while the leather textures are great the clothes ones are really bad. Another example: the bloom is really too high in AoC making your eyes bleed too often. The grass effect makes your character do the chopper effect. The trees aren't really that good either. The color palette is also inconsistent. I know from inside input it's not really the fault of the artists but the suits that pushed hard to rush things in the end.

Still RIFT is not only much more consistent but everything blends perfectly together and not the least it runs like a charrm on average rigs.

BTW it seems you agree that none MMO is better than RIFT on all mentioned entries. And I insist RIFT is far from average in all that fields, it's in the top 3 in each of them.

Rift does some things better than some mmos, and does worse on other things than other mmos. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that I don't list all the other things you posted just shows I'm not as bored to make out a complete game by game list and simply went for the easist 'win'... graphics. Imo RIFT isn't better graphically or animation wise than most of the recently released AAA mmos.

Doesn't mean because I don't address every point (which would take all day) means I agree with them, lol.

In fact, all the things you list up there are satisfactorily countered by Teala in February retroactively lol, someone with whom I've had vigorous disagreements in the past over games but will say she pegged right here. Many of the things you just said about AoC she shows you in screenies (like clipping and inconsistancies) and perfectly articulates RIFT having the same problems.

RIFT is a good, average game with not enough stuff to do in the end of it, that's all.

edit: HOW do you know from 'inside input' that suits are at fault? What source? Even so, does it matter? It's RIFT, not 'Suits and Artists'.

EQ2 does not look better then rift, i run maximum settings on both.

Eve does not look better then rift. again maximum on both.

AoC in DX9 mode does not look better then rift. in dx10, yes it does, but then again if rift was DX10-11, it would look better.

Your arguement about Teala's post in febuary doesnt hold much water considering it was BETA. Look at the game now and compare, or better yet lets use all the games you said look better then rift in their beta states and make dumbass arguments.

Originally posted by DeathTouch

AoC in DX9 mode does not look better then rift. in dx10, yes it does, but then again if rift was DX10-11, it would look better.

Your arguement about Teala's post in febuary doesnt hold much water considering it was BETA. Look at the game now and compare, or better yet lets use all the games you said look better then rift in their beta states and make dumbass arguments.

I have and my personal opinion is EvE looks better than RIFT, and EQ2 looks better than RIFT. AoC isn't even a comparison no matter what format so that's not an issue with me.

Beta argument? You'd lose. I'd argue things are worse now than they were in beta. I was in beta and there were tons of people playing with only hints of lag here/there, but not much.

Now after three months, the lag situation is noticibly worse and now includes people getting cut off the game as well, which didn't seem to happen a lot in beta.

Both world events are buggy and broken. They twice put rifts that drop loot into the level 10-20 zone and level 50s come in and hog them. Twice, at the start of two world events. Then after a week or so they finally start letting rifts pop in the 40 zones.

Now either that's by design (in which case it's retarded) or it's neglect and bad planning. Level 13 people just starting couldn't claim things because a 50 would oneshot the rifts lol.

Lag makes raiding really bad now. Clipping is still in, new bugs are in now they can't seem to fix for the quests.

Honestly, I thought the game ran BETTER in beta. Again, that's not to say RIFT is a horrible game which isn't what I'm saying at all.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Originally posted by sancher36

Basically I doubt anyone here as seen and done every single bit of content within the game including the new updated content coming along with each month.

You'd be quite wrong.

Unless you consider gathering every single artifact 'content' and re-running the same dungeon in "Expert" mode, there are plenty of people who have done ALL the dungeons (normal and expert) along with ROS and GB time and time again. The PvP arenas are small and there aren't many so I'm still not sure what you mean by 'every single bit of content' because you're too vague.

If you really doubt that, you need to read the OFFICIAL forums a bit more often because when you can go level 1-50 in one month with no problem, it's not hard to see all there is in a game with maps as small as these.

Ok what I mean is every single quest within game and fully explored every zone and beaten all the raid and dungeon bosses.

As for getting from 1-50 in a month I took my time over 2 months to max level a cleric making sure I didn't miss much along the way and the random drop quests. I still have alot to do in game at 50 and still enjoying it.

The problem most players have is they tend to rush content then run off to complain, this happens in all mmos. I only spend a few hours a day playing as I have work and a life.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I have and my personal opinion is EvE looks better than RIFT, and EQ2 looks better than RIFT. AoC isn't even a comparison no matter what format so that's not an issue with me.

Beta argument? You'd lose. I'd argue things are worse now than they were in beta. I was in beta and there were tons of people playing with only hints of lag here/there, but not much.

Now after three months, the lag situation is noticibly worse and now includes people getting cut off the game as well, which didn't seem to happen a lot in beta.

Both world events are buggy and broken. They twice put rifts that drop loot into the level 10-20 zone and level 50s come in and hog them. Twice, at the start of two world events. Then after a week or so they finally start letting rifts pop in the 40 zones.

Now either that's by design (in which case it's retarded) or it's neglect and bad planning. Level 13 people just starting couldn't claim things because a 50 would oneshot the rifts lol.

Lag makes raiding really bad now. Clipping is still in, new bugs are in now they can't seem to fix for the quests.

Honestly, I thought the game ran BETTER in beta. Again, that's not to say RIFT is a horrible game which isn't what I'm saying at all.

Just like to mention that rift popping has alot to do also with the population in each zone, the bigger the amount of population in a zone the faster rifts will pop. Its done that way by design and trion have mentioned this. As for level 50s taking down low level rifts yes thats unfair but how can trion stop this unless they totally stop all coin and loot drops for players above a certain level range, it will still not stop the idiots messing it for others.

In all mmos you have the problem with max level players running through taking out low level bosses and mobs, its not just a trion issue as its common in all mmos.

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

I have to agree with the OP.

I wrote this game off bc of all the bad hype I was hearing from so many gamers.

Then I played it, and I was incredibly impressed. This coming from a person who is rarely impressed, especially with MMORPG's.

DO NOT WRITE THIS GAME OFF because of the opinion of others.

I honestly have no idea why this game isn't destroying WoW, because in all honesty it really feels like WoW 2011, with a little less content, and a whole lot of innovation.

Also, I am laughing my butt off because honestly the RIFT system (ripoff of public quests) is going to be identical to GW2's Dynamic Events, and it seems as though people who formerly though the rift system would change all-- were wrong and disappointed. I love this game solely for the fact it makes me laugh and confirm I am right that people are overhyping GW2 and will be surely disappointed. As always with hype. When you've been around since the beginning of MMORPG's, you really know how to spot hype and you really know when to laugh at the naive masses :)

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I can agree with the OP based on his 7 day free trial, that Rift can be a fun game. It's new and different enough that playing to 50 once on both factions can be entertaining. However, as others in the thread have said aside from the soul mechanic and the underutilized invasion/rift mechanic (which becomes completely obsolete at cap I may add) the game is just another questgrinder with a raid or die endgame. If that's what you seek in a MMORPG then you'll certainly get it in Rift. If you're looking for something else to do at endgame then you should look elsewhere.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

Originally posted by Disatisfied9

I have to agree with the OP.

I wrote this game off bc of all the bad hype I was hearing from so many gamers.

Then I played it, and I was incredibly impressed. This coming from a person who is rarely impressed, especially with MMORPG's.

DO NOT WRITE THIS GAME OFF because of the opinion of others.

I honestly have no idea why this game isn't destroying WoW, because in all honesty it really feels like WoW 2011, with a little less content, and a whole lot of innovation.

Also, I am laughing my butt off because honestly the RIFT system (ripoff of public quests) is going to be identical to GW2's Dynamic Events, and it seems as though people who formerly though the rift system would change all-- were wrong and disappointed. I love this game solely for the fact it makes me laugh and confirm I am right that people are overhyping GW2 and will be surely disappointed. As always with hype. When you've been around since the beginning of MMORPG's, you really know how to spot hype and you really know when to laugh at the naive masses :)

I didnt know "innovation" could be so boring - untill I tried Rift. There is not one big wrong thing that breaks Rift for me. Actually, it might even be my own personal tastes that ruins my gameplay in Rift. I just totally fell asleep after 40 minutes all the three times I gave it my best shot.

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

You must have one crappy machine. thats not an attack against you so dont take it as one. i run a phenom 2 x3 3.0ghz 4gb and a 9800 gtx+. I run the game on max settings with zero video lag. i also need to point out that im on a contract out in the country, i have to use wireless to connect to the internet, i have zero lag from the game in heavily populated areas. the most i have seen my ping at beta or retail is 120ms. i play on faemist.

i've taken screen shots of Rift, ill find a decent spot in  EQ2 and prove how bad EQ2 looks at max. I cant show eve because i havent had it installed for years, but the graphics before incarta were crap, it just looked pretty cause it was space, but X2 looked pretty too, it didnt have graphics as good as eve. eve has had many updates to its graphics, im thinking incarta's graphics "might" be getting better, cept the complaints im hearing about lag and other problems.

I'm playing AoC right now, the DX9 version doesnt look better then rift, its got funny issues, not sure if its cause of the latest changes or not, but i dont have to worry cause i play in DX10 mode and i'm liking it. last trial i did a year or so back DX10 was buggy like DX9 is.

I know "visuals" are all about preferences, but what i'm talking about isnt art style, im talking about how the trees look, how crisp the picture is, and the lighting effects. I can show that in EQ2 very easily as everything has a "mirror" polish, my rats face has a light reflection, his armor has a light reflection, it looks like crap, like someone put wax on him.

You must have one crappy machine.

thats not an attack against you so dont take it as one. i run a phenom 2 x3 3.0ghz 4gb and a 9800 gtx+. I run the game on max settings with zero video lag. i also need to point out that im on a contract out in the country, i have to use wireless to connect to the internet, i have zero lag from the game in heavily populated areas. the most i have seen my ping at beta or retail is 120ms. i play on faemist.
    i've taken screen shots of Rift, ill find a decent spot in  EQ2 and prove how bad EQ2 looks at max. I cant show eve because i havent had it installed for years, but the graphics before incarta were crap, it just looked pretty cause it was space, but X2 looked pretty too, it didnt have graphics as good as eve. eve has had many updates to its graphics, im thinking incarta's graphics "might" be getting better, cept the complaints im hearing about lag and other problems.
    I'm playing AoC right now, the DX9 version doesnt look better then rift, its got funny issues, not sure if its cause of the latest changes or not, but i dont have to worry cause i play in DX10 mode and i'm liking it. last trial i did a year or so back DX10 was buggy like DX9 is.
    I know "visuals" are all about preferences, but what i'm talking about isnt art style, im talking about how the trees look, how crisp the picture is, and the lighting effects. I can show that in EQ2 very easily as everything has a "mirror" polish, my rats face has a light reflection, his armor has a light reflection, it looks like crap, like someone put wax on him.

Nah, I don't take offense. My machine is okay.

I have a intel Core 2 Extreme CPU 9770@ 3.20 Ghz, 8 GB ram, Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 275s (I had 9800GTXs but put the 275s in) running on Win 7 using a 24" LCD monitor. It's three years old but I do okay. But enough of epeen talk :)

What you are not understanding is graphics/animation preferences are a personal choice. I think the games I listed have better graphics than RIFT. I even stated that as an 'opinion' which you fail to notice.

I happen to think AoC looks better than RIFT. You disagree. That's just preference. But saying it's 'fact' like the other guy is about as wrong as you telling me Rembrandt was a better artist than Monet.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

You must have one crappy machine.

thats not an attack against you so dont take it as one. i run a phenom 2 x3 3.0ghz 4gb and a 9800 gtx+. I run the game on max settings with zero video lag. i also need to point out that im on a contract out in the country, i have to use wireless to connect to the internet, i have zero lag from the game in heavily populated areas. the most i have seen my ping at beta or retail is 120ms. i play on faemist.

Nah, I don't take offense. My machine is okay.

I have a intel Core 2 Extreme CPU 9770@ 3.20 Ghz, 8 GB ram, Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 275s (I had 9800GTXs but put the 275s in) running on Win 7 using a 24" LCD monitor. It's three years old but I do okay. But enough of epeen talk :)

What you are not understanding is graphics/animation preferences are a personal choice. I think the games I listed have better graphics than RIFT. I even stated that as an 'opinion' which you fail to notice.

I happen to think AoC looks better than RIFT. You disagree. That's just preference. But saying it's 'fact' like the other guy is about as wrong as you telling me Rembrandt was a better artist than Monet.

I think I would agree I prefer Age of Conan graphics to RIft and they seam to run better on my machine I can run AoC between medium to high where as Rift I have to run at the lowest settings and it still struggles on them . Content wise I prefer Rift to pretty much any other fantasy mmo out there at the moment . Think its proberbly time for me to get a new PC so I can see it in it full splender ...hmmmm or should I wait another year or two when everything will be in 3D choices choices .

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I played the betas. It had some good going for it, like the graphics were fine (though now jawdropping) and it was polished. But two starting zones + 4 classes is not enough replay value for me. I like creating new chars, exploring with them new classes and new areas. And in Rift I could create two chars to see different stuff. On the third char I'd have to go through exactly the same content I saw before again, and with the fifth char I'd even have to choose a class I had already picked before.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by maji

I played the betas. It had some good going for it, like the graphics were fine (though now jawdropping) and it was polished. But two starting zones + 4 classes is not enough replay value for me. I like creating new chars, exploring with them new classes and new areas. And in Rift I could create two chars to see different stuff. On the third char I'd have to go through exactly the same content I saw before again, and with the fifth char I'd even have to choose a class I had already picked before.

And yet people are forgetting AoC has only one starting zone.

Originally posted by maji
     And yet people are forgetting AoC has only one starting zone.

I think it's because Tortage was extremely well done.

There were different quest paths that you saw depending on your class, from different sides of the story if you will. That made it interesting and fun each time.

Rift is not that way. It's the same quests no matter what soul you roll (hey, that rhymes). That's why replayability is boring there, it's all the same.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

No, I disagree with you. I would recomend that people don't buy this game. If they get a chance for trial (free) than maybe.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Rift is a solid game...it just didn't hold my attention once I was finished leveling.

- Leveling is too fast

- Rifts happen WAY too often, so no one cares about them.

Joined - July 2004

• SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49

I have two level 50's and am working on a third, defiant this time. I keep rerolling because I get to 50 and quickly become bored, but leveling was fun! With my first 50, I maxed out all the crafting I could possibly max out in under a week. Auction houses are weak, quickly go bored with that.

My 3 months is up in two weeks, I will not be returning. I am not going to compare RIFT to previous MMO's I've played, it's not fair. Although, I will say I so Godly miss EQ1 and WoW before certain casualities. I'm sure many people do.

You would think with over ten years of Godlike MMO history to build upon and improve, Trion would have done A LOT better. PvP, Dungeons, Gear, Crafting, Cities, Races, Community, all SUCK!!! There is none of the above! The only reason I'm still playing is leveling, that's it. It's fun to level, period.

I was hyped about this game for over a year and am now actually thinking about going back to Runescape of all games. Either that or DDO. I have thought about going back to EQ, but want to leave the memories buried and not awake them, if you know what I mean.

I would ultimately recommend to trial this game yes. Leveling is fun, but when you hit 50 and get to end game you will remember my post and just think, damn, he told me so.