Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vetren Gamer to you, Definatly trial this game. Ignore reviews

Comments

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Le'ts see:

• Rift has better graphics and animations than most MMO

• It has more classes combinaisons than most MMO

• It has good PvE and PvP even at "end" game.

• It has slightly better crafting than most MMO

• it has more gear customization than most MMO

• It has more content so soon after launch than any MMO

• It has more dynamic content than any MMO

• Content is added much faster than any other MMO

• It has very few bugs

Now one can say the game is bad but like it or not it's not worse than any other MMO out there.

I would even say the game is even better than others, especially considering how young is the game.

Feel free to disagree and provide examples how any other game is better on all the above facts.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Rift is a pretty good MMO.

It has some fun PvE and a lot of little neat things to do around the world. I'm personally not a fan of the battlegrounds (don't think they're designed very well), but at least in the beta there was quite a bit of slapping other people to be found in the open world.

I didn't purchase it after the beta because the game has no replay value whatsoever imo. I just didn't see myself going through the same thing I'd been doing for 42 levels on my warrior a second time.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

Originally posted by Torgrim

Was fun for the first few weeks i really thought I found my themepark game, but then after a while when the Rift "dynamic" feature novelty wore and and the pointless PVP and the easymode dungeon and the epic grind for pixel epics boredom kicked in, i unsubbed.

I was a little different.

I wanted more of that invasion force and wanted it to be hard to oust them from their areas. But that seemed to be made easier.

Then in my 20's I hit a weird area that seemed like a desert and I was having problems finding rifts there. Oh two or three would pop up and I'd have to scramble to find a way to get to the higher elevation or lower elevation or else whatever players were there would take them.

Then I FINALLY got to an area that really apeared more like one long road with some faerie like beings but the rifts didn't seem to pop as often there either.

There were a few quests but for the most part they didn't appeal to me. I dropped the game in my early 30's.

It's an "ok" game wasn't really enjoyable for me in the long term.

Also I disagree with the Deewe who claimed that it had the best graphics of any game and I highly suspect it doesn't have the best pvp at end game.

Unless the pvp somehow incorporates territory conquest and one where a clan can keep that territory for a little bit.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • deadmilkdeadmilk Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Torgrim

Was fun for the first few weeks i really thought I found my themepark game, but then after a while when the Rift "dynamic" feature novelty wore and and the pointless PVP and the easymode dungeon and the epic grind for pixel epics boredom kicked in, i unsubbed.

I was a little different.

I wanted more of that invasion force and wanted it to be hard to oust them from their areas. But that seemed to be made easier.

Then in my 20's I hit a weird area that seemed like a desert and I was having problems finding rifts there. Oh two or three would pop up and I'd have to scramble to find a way to get to the higher elevation or lower elevation or else whatever players were there would take them.

Then I FINALLY got to an area that really apeared more like one long road with some faerie like beings but the rifts didn't seem to pop as often there either.

There were a few quests but for the most part they didn't appeal to me. I dropped the game in my early 30's.

It's an "ok" game wasn't really enjoyable for me in the long term.

Also I disagree with the individual who claimed that it had the best graphics of any game and I highly suspect it doesn't have the best pve or pvp at end game.

Unless the pvp somehow incorporates territory conquest and one where a clan can keep that territory for a little bit.

I def agree with Sovrath like i normally do...

If you want to tell people what to do, please learn to spell...

Originally posted by Deewe

Le'ts see:

• It has very few bugs

Now one can say the game is bad but like it or not it's not worse than any other MMO out there.

I would even say the game is even better than others, especially considering how young is the game.

Feel free to disagree and provide examples how any other game is better on all the above facts.

Slightly better crafting... really??? It's only assembling and not crafting..

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I agree with the title of this thread.

Anyone who is interested in a game should try it.   Don't worry about reviews, what other people say or lists of "facts".

With gaming the only fact that matters is if you enjoy a game or not.

Personally I unsubscribed from the game during the second month of "ive" and can't ever see myself going back to it.   I feel I got enough play value in comparison to purchase price and just had no long term desire to play.   I don't have anything bad to say about Rift or Trion despite my personal facts (/cancel and will never go back).

I do strongly believe as I stated that anyone curious about a game should make up their own mind... based on their personal experience with the game.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by SwampRob

I'm long in the tooth when it comes to gaming like the OP.   I've played Wow, and I enjoyed it to a point; the endgame.   If you're not a PvPer, the endgame in Wow (even with the new patch coming) is strictly raid or die.

While I've heard good things about Rift, I've also heard that it's endgame was the same philosophy; if you don't raid, you'll never get better than second class gear.    Is this accurate?   

And please, no arguments about what raiding deserves, or that I should give Rift raiding a try, etc.   I've raided plenty.   It's dull, it's old, and it needs to stop being the only way to allow gear progression at endgame.

In any case, I'm just asking about Rift's endgame:  if I can get best gear through crafting or some challenging solo content, I'm there.   If endgame is raid or pvp or forget it, I'll just forget it now and save myself the aggravation of the bait and switch.

The main difference between WoW and Rift endgame is that content is added much more quickly.  A new raid has been made available every 1.5 months so far.  Raids are alot harder than WoW.  there is no using a macro to set up timing against most bosses.  The bosses in the raids do thier specials at complete random intervals and order.  That's what was really boring to me about WoW.  Every raid was exactly the same as the last.  In Rift, it might be the same boss each time, but he never fights the same way (except for some with %hp missing queues).

• OgdinOgdin Member UncommonPosts: 17

If your on the side that likes it great. If your on the side that doesn't,thats great.If your on the side that will argue til your face turns blue about pointless this or that comparisons,you've come to the right gaming site.

If your on the side that likes it great. If your on the side that doesn't,thats great.If your on the side that will argue til your face turns blue about pointless this or that comparisons,you've come to the right gaming site.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Thunderballs

"its amazingly deeper then WoW could ever be"

How do you justify this claim ?

In his opinion.... no need to justify anything just play the free trial and see how....

You could even tryit yourself thats if you haven't already.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I agree, try it, see if you like it. 

I loved it all through beta and for about a month and a half after launch.. then I hit the level cap and got bored

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295

Loved this game.  Got bored after cap.  But I will go back after expansions just to see what they are doing with the game.  The crafting was decent and the PvP was refrshing.  And soloing... is well soloing...  But the way Trion approached "talent trees" was interesting.

• phil_jamesphil_james EverQuest II ReporterMember Posts: 32

Originally posted by NightBandit

Personally having beta tested this game to death and watched my brother play it all the time and listen to him complaining all the time that it's very boring.

You brother thinks it's boring yet he plays all the time?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Le'ts see:

• It has very few bugs

Went back to playing a few old MUDs this week they are more fun than , RIFT or WoW and have better communities and more of a challenge.

Sadly sine the days of UO, EQ and AC we havent really seen any decent MMOs that have a longevity of more than a couple of months.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I couldn't stand Rift's single path of progression.  Talk about your themepark with tunnel vision.

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122

Originally posted by Ogdin

Ladies and gentlmen, our thread has a winner !!

• lufiazlufiaz Member UncommonPosts: 122

Double post , fixed !!

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

I think the arguement that people make about getting bored quickly seems to apply to almost every new game that comes out. Personally, I have found that I was bored with WoW and have tried a lot of other games and haven't found one that has really been able to keep my interest but I think that is more an issue with me and less with the games.

I enjoyed Rift and I think it is one of the better releases that has come out and if you aren't like me and bored to death with everything you will probably enjoy it. On the other hand if you are bored then it is not likely to keep you entertained.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Rift has better graphics and animations than most MMO

1) Aion has better graphics and animations.

2) Warhammer has better graphics and animations (or equal)

3) Age of Conan has better graphics and animations.

4) FFXIV has better graphics and animations.

5) EQ2 has better graphics.

6) EvE has better graphics and animations.

7) APB has better graphics (not sure about animations)

8) DCUO has better graphics and animations.

But considering there are probably hundreds of MMOs, your statement is technically a true statement worthy of corporate speakage.

edit: While you claim yours as "facts", I'll state mine as opinion.

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

Play rift if you like quests/raiding for gear.  Other than that, therse not much else.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Le'ts see:

• It has very few bugs

And yet it's boring. 

It's a very good release, polished, with plenty of stuff to do from day one, runs smooth even with tons of people on the same area, etc etc. On paper it's a great game.

But it's boring, very boring. You end up running the same few instances over and over becouse there's not much to do, and you pretty much have your path paved in front of you. There aren't any options about what to do in game other than gathering gear for next tier and repeating the same tasks over and over in a very small world. Many bosses share the same simple mechanisms and it's just about "dancing the dance" properly. There's hardly any economy, crafting is pretty useless, the world is not as dynamic as they claim it to be (same rifts appear in same spot to spawn the same mobs going to the same place via the same path) and there's nothing to explore in such a tiny world.

That's it. It's a good game on paper, technically very well done, but... boring.

Originally posted by popinjay

Rift has better graphics and animations than most MMO

1) Aion has better graphics and animations.

2) Warhammer has better graphics and animations (or equal)

3) Age of Conan has better graphics and animations.

4) FFXIV has better graphics and animations.

5) EQ2 has better graphics.

6) EvE has better graphics and animations.

7) APB has better graphics (not sure about animations)

8) DCUO has better graphics and animations.

But considering there are probably hundreds of MMOs, your statement is technically a true statement worthy of corporate speakage.

edit: While you claim yours as "facts", I'll state mine as opinion.

Let's stop on AoC for the comparison as supposedly the MMO with the best graphics around, mind you?

While AoC is handling much more polys, the graphics are inconsistent and many textures and effects are overdone. For example while the leather textures are great the clothes ones are really bad. Another example: the bloom is really too high in AoC making your eyes bleed too often. The grass effect makes your character do the chopper effect. The trees aren't really that good either. The color palette is also inconsistent. I know from inside input it's not really the fault of the artists but the suits that pushed hard to rush things in the end.

Still RIFT is not only much more consistent but everything blends perfectly together and not the least it runs like a charrm on average rigs.

BTW it seems you agree that none MMO is better than RIFT on all mentioned entries. And I insist RIFT is far from average in all that fields, it's in the top 3 in each of them.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I just bought the collector's edition through the current sale and I am really liking the game...much more than WoW.

Has the readership of this forum stooped so low that this post is considered acceptable?

"Vetren Gamer to you, Definatly trial this game. Ignore reviews" ???!!!

What? FFS use a spell checker.

Also what a pointless post, you have just started playing this game yet you are tell people to ignore the reviews where people have actually played for a while before giving a reasonably balanced view.

Pointless.

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

No disrespect intended, but the word is 'inconsistent'.

Originally posted by Fargol

No disrespect intended, but the word is 'inconsistent'.

Very much appreciated! I don't have a spell checker here and writing in English isn't always obvious for me!