Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

becareful when pre-ordering(esp before they have announced RD and pre-orders details)

StephenReid General Discussion -> You can now pre-order Star Wars: The Old Republic

What a murky world we all live in.

First - this is an attempt to advertise, and under our Rules of Conduct that's not something we allow. Therefore after this post, we'll be closing the thread.

While I appreciate the desire to spread the word about potential places to order The Old Republic, we draw the line at outright advertising, which the wording of this original post definitely is.

Second - the only official digital download provider for Star Wars: The Old Republic will be EA's Origin service, located at Origin.com.

Despite what some retailers may try to have you believe, EA is not partnering with anyone to offer digital downloads. That may not sit well with you, but it's a fact. The reason you should understand this is illustrated by the post itself:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeikki View Post

But If you Pre-order it there you just have the game serial photo into your email, so you don't get the game covers

Mmm. You get the 'game serial photo'. In other words, at a guess, what this site is planning to do is buy copies of The Old Republic, open them, take photos of game serial keys and then sell them to you.

Sounds great, right? And maybe this site is entirely trustworthy. However, from my experience in working with Customer Service teams on multiple other MMOs, the reality is that often these sites will have no official partnership with the MMO publisher in question, and that the keys are often passed around to multiple customers, sometimes after they've been activated.

What happens then? You complain to the publisher, customer service deals with it, and either you get a refund from your credit card or you lose your account and/or your money.

TL;DR version: when pre-order and launch are announced, it will be very clear which retailers you should pre-order and purchase Star Wars: The Old Republic from.

Until then - all pre-order 'offers' are unofficial, and all release dates are pure speculation on the part of the retailer.

Be careful out there. If in doubt, contact the Customer Service team.

Comments

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I preordered from gamestop like a year ago lol. I've learned over the last couple of months that has no value, but since they don't charge anything and you can cancel at any time, I guess I see no harm. In the end I will probably end up downloading the game from Origin.

There Is Always Hope!

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

Ya same pre-ordered so long ago. They have jan 2012 though s the release date...I wouldnt mind that date though thats for sure. At least you know it will be fully complete by then or at least hopefully. i think anything to much sooner will have some problems at start but im not really worriered. Never had to many problems with bugs in games though most are just minor bugs that serve no main purpose in the game so doesnt matter.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

While I will pre-order this game, and probably the CE version, I will not be doing so until I see the official announcement AND what the special deals are that will be released with it.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• The_QuesterThe_Quester Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by keithian

I preordered from gamestop like a year ago lol. I've learned over the last couple of months that has no value, but since they don't charge anything and you can cancel at any time, I guess I see no harm. In the end I will probably end up downloading the game from Origin.

You can just call them and ask to have your pre-order switched to another game.

• teknotazteknotaz Member UncommonPosts: 112

i pre order mine thru gamestop a long time ago.