Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

an interesting blog about star wars

http://mmogamerzz.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-im-boycotting-swtor.html

I thought this was rather informative information if anyone cares to read it..

Comments

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

What I read was:     image    I want SWG 2.0......   image    And it is all Biowars fault...... image

But opinions are fine, no big deal. Dosn't make me like SWG or not like TOR. We all have different tasts in gaming.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It's ok. But people need to move on from nge.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'm going to be honest...that came across as someone who loved the old SWG, hated the NGE, and now hates the new Bioware game for the same reason.

They say Bioware is only after money..well i can assure you they are after money.  But i gather every business is after that as well.

However they must have missed the part where they (that would be the doctors) have been wanting to do an MMO since the days of NWN, thats one of the main reasons why that game had online features in the first place.

Blogs are blogs, he loved SWG (I didn't care for it all that much) he hates Bioware's MMO i'm loving what i'm seeing so far.

If your curious this clued me in

We as gamers saw one of the most complex combat, class and crafting systems ever implemented into a video game by the hand of man. Star Wars Galaxies came out in 2003 and was brought in part to us by names such as Raph Koster, and even famed Brad Mcquaid ( Everquest ) had a hand in designing from what I recall hearing or reading somewhere in the past.

SWG vet...just saying.

Edit: and this basically disqualifies his opinoin with me

I'm still bitter over the NGE and the simple fact that Lucas contracted Bioware to make the NGE 2.0. I will never give these people my money ever again, period.

Yeah gonna see alot of these "interesting blogs"

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• B14cKs0LB14cKs0L Member UncommonPosts: 152

:it wasn’t wow the game that made it popular, it was a faithful blizzard following made up of diablo, starcraft and warcraft fans. Couple that with the fact that Blizzard used subliminal audio tracks and hypnotic use of colours to brain wash players into a zombified state, thats how you retain 10 million subscribers.. Theres no other reason for it..:

Really? REALLY? Put on yer tin foil hat and STFU...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

pffft. I am a SWG bittervet. But why can't I love old SWG and SWTOR both??

answer: I can.

They aren't the same kind of game. I can appreciate both for what they are.

It's like crying that Darkfall isn't Rift, or that Fallen Earth isn't EVE.

Just seems silly to me to hate on Bioware for making the game they wanted to make instead of the game someone else wanted them to make.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

SWG was great until 2005 and there is no substitute mmo for it.
    But i really think that SWTOR comes from a very different starting point, focussing on story which is one of the most lacking aspects in todays mmos beside all the goodnes swg had, so it will bring something that is worth to play for.

IF they overdo the pricing its up to the potential players to vote with the closed wallet.

I belive the best game would be SWG pre CU poilished and bugfixed with the bioware story and without so much force freaks but hey...the more force freaks run around the more i can kill and that alone is a motivation if nothing else is left...

DEATH TO THE FORCE FREAKS !

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Just a question OP, is it your blog and you are looking for some hits?

I dont see a whole lot of information, so I'm not sure I'd call it informative. What I do see is a lot of tin foil hat ranting, and its all pretty much opinion, I'm not sure facts would support all of it.

Hey, to each his own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if I want a decent blog, I'll read this:

Hengist Blogs TOR

I get more factual info, plus when he does a creative piece like "Why Sith Are More Interesting than the Republic." It doesnt come off as a rant.

Like I said, it's just a matter of opinion and taste.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

The blog really was not that interesting.

Every company in the world is out to make a profit.   Most companies even want to make the most possible profit they can.

So saying companies are motivated by greed is just...   I mean seriously.. *hello*  Companies are motivated by profit.

Public companies have share holders.   Those are RL people who invested money into a company and they actually expect their stock to either retain value or increase in value.   Which brings us back to profit.

Then of course you tie this greed thing in with the NGE somehow and talk about mass exodus... blah blah  Which is a nice setup because if the game is very popular and then drops off you are going to proclaim you were right!!

Seriously I don't think its a stretch to see TOR making all new records for sales and then dropping like a brick within the first year or so.   None of that has anything to do with greed or the NGE or World of Warcraft.

In fact if there is a game out there that you can draw a very good picture for TOR's future from it would be Rift.

*edited to add*    It would be much simpler to just focus on "long term reason to play/subscribe" as that is going to be the problem (in my opinion).

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by Baikal

I dont see a whole lot of information, so I'm not sure I'd call it informative. What I do see is a lot of tin foil hat ranting, and its all pretty much opinion, I'm not sure facts would support all of it.

Hey, to each his own, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if I want a decent blog, I'll read this:

Hengist Blogs TOR

I get more factual info, plus when he does a creative piece like "Why Sith Are More Interesting than the Republic." It doesnt come off as a rant.

I agree, to each his own. I read some of the entries in your link and he' clearly a SWTOR lover :)

One thing I disagree and agree with him is on this:

"The Old Republic isn’t presenting itself as something it isn’t. It isn’t revolutionizing the genre, it isn’t going to be an MMOFPS, it isn’t going to break ground with a new combat system (like AoC set out to do), but it is taking the absolute best it could find from the current generation, adding its own twist, and making the end result its very own."

I disagree that they are not presenting it as something it isn't, cause they are preseting as more than it is. I don't mind it so much because they run a big company marketing machine so this is expected...I do agree on the rest, it's like Rift but with a bigger budget and of course a different "twist". I hate the fact that many SWTOR fans(specially in this forums) can't just love it for what it is and instead label it as a "genre changer" or "revolutionary" :(

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

So how exactly does $oE screwing up SWG come off as Bioware's fault? Last I checked BW was making a Star Wars game based off of their KoToR game. They said in 2008 that they weren't making a SWG 2.0 and that, that didn't fit THEIR vision for their game. I am for one glad that BW choose this direction with the game, because I am an avid KoToR and ME fan and I feel that ToR is an extention of the KoToR series. As far as SWG goes let it RIP or make your own Star Wars MMO, I loved the space combat and exploration is EnB, but I never ranted and raved because the space combat that I enjoyed in that game wasn't in STO or in this game for that matter. You can only do 1 or 2 things take it for what it is or move on. That's just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Kuppa

Originally posted by Baikal
    Hengist Blogs TOR
    I agree, to each his own. I read some of the entries in your link and he' clearly a SWTOR lover :)

One thing I disagree and agree with him is on this:
    "The Old Republic isn’t presenting itself as something it isn’t. It isn’t revolutionizing the genre, it isn’t going to be an MMOFPS, it isn’t going to break ground with a new combat system (like AoC set out to do), but it is taking the absolute best it could find from the current generation, adding its own twist, and making the end result its very own."

I disagree that they are not presenting it as something it isn't, cause they are preseting as more than it is. I don't mind it so much because they run a big company marketing machine so this is expected...I do agree on the rest, it's like Rift but with a bigger budget and of course a different "twist". I hate the fact that many SWTOR fans(specially in this forums) can't just love it for what it is and instead label it as a "genre changer" or "revolutionary" :(

I wont speak for him, but I'd agree, he is a fan, so you definitely had to take that into account. However I think in the sense of this thread, it's a contrast how the OP brings up one that he claims is interesting (and supports his own posts and point of view) and I'm a fan, and point to one written by a fan! (I'm not a hypocrite, I readily admit we all tend to gravitate to points of view that support our own, and I'm guilty of that too.)

Honestly though I do tend to agree with the part you quoted. I dont think the Bioware info snippets promise anything that is totally revolutionary other than adding story, and how they are weaving it in. Now I know some fans take and try to make every little bit seem different, I dont, and I'm not sure Bioware does either. Maybe I'm wrong though, wont be the first time.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    The guy who wrote that blog needs help. he's still obsessing about something that happened years ago, and now he's transferring that hatred because apparently bioware was suppose to make SWG 2 instead of a game that plays to it's strengths.

I think the funny part is where hr goes to say SWTOR is a complete rip-off of WoW, and then says it's nothing more than a single player continuation of KotOR. So which one is it? Thr answer: it's ablending of both, which is a unique concept in the MMO landscape
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I enjoyed SWG and hated the NGE.

I'm looking forward to playing SWTOR.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Wow, thats one of those blogposts where you have to finish and think "thats 2 whole minutes of my life I can never, ever get back."

Even if I hated the living guts out of both WoW and SWTOR, that guy would come off as a crazy, angry and bitter person.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

NGE 2.0 hehe so glad i started that saying :) now people are using it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

well, it's his blog and he is welcome to his opinions.

Just sounded like a rant to me. oh wait, "another" rant.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

I enjoy a good rant as much as the next guy, but the whole "blizz being run by someone firmly grounded in the Illuminati beliefs and ways" based on a picture on the back of a shield was a bit much. 

There are so many people who have invested so much hope in this game failing, I would feel bad for them if it doesn't. There are scores of sandbox/SWG fanatics who have structured their whole gaming life around this immutable belief. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well when you think about it Star Wars has never been about linear gameplay until Bioware got a hold of it. It was always about player choice and choosing your own destiny/fate. Alot of it had to do with you as a player shaping the world. I can see where he is coming from but that is not going to stop people from liking "hold me by the hand" mmos.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Was this the winner for best fictional story?

Originally posted by SaintViktor
    Well when you think about it Star Wars has never been about linear gameplay until Bioware got a hold of it. It was always about player choice and choosing your own destiny/fate. Alot of it had to do with you as a player shaping the world. I can see where he is coming from but that is not going to stop people from liking "hold me by the hand" mmos.

So in KoTOR you never made choices about your own destiny or fate? Really? You never had a choice, but Bioware randomly made you into the character that was redeemed or returned to the dark side?

In TOR one of the huge themes again is how you approach each situation, so you dont choose your own fate with the decisions that you make? The video's of what happens when you save/kill the Captain are faked?

No offense, but this isnt a sandbox where it is totally free. Even by your own description, TOR is far less linear than most other themepark MMO's, becuase you do have a chance to actually shape your own character.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I'm just going to disagree on this.

and state my reasons as to why.

in kotor you can decide between two ways for the game to end and multiple things you can say throughout the game.

You can choose between a multitude of skills.

You can choose which order you want to visit planets in

You can choose which companions you want with you

You can choose whose story line to progress or whos not to progress.

You can choose who you want to even live at the end.

You can shape the world via the ending in kotor.

The actual gameplay was pretty linear but so are most games in general.

But to each their own, i think Bioware is giving up the small linear paths in this game both planet wise and ways you can play. I think some people might be pleasently surprised when they start up the game and find out it's actually better then they are viewing it.  IT appears at least from reviewers that it's a game that grows on you.

I think this because people had 15 mins hands on and didn't care for it much, then some had 45 mins hands on and like it a good bit more. Then some had 2 days hands on and like it a lot. Then there was that one guy just recently that had one month on it and liked it as well. So i think it's a game that grows on you, it doesn't blast you away at first as some awesome game, but it gets there as you play.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by whilan

I'm just going to disagree on this.

and state my reasons as to why.

in kotor you can decide between two ways for the game to end and multiple things you can say throughout the game.

You can choose between a multitude of skills.

You can choose which order you want to visit planets in

You can choose which companions you want with you

You can choose whose story line to progress or whos not to progress.

You can choose who you want to even live at the end.

You can shape the world via the ending in kotor.

The actual gameplay was pretty linear but so are most games in general.

But to each their own, i think Bioware is giving up the small linear paths in this game both planet wise and ways you can play. I think some people might be pleasently surprised when they start up the game and find out it's actually better then they are viewing it.  IT appears at least from reviewers that it's a game that grows on you.

I think this because people had 15 mins hands on and didn't care for it much, then some had 45 mins hands on and like it a good bit more. Then some had 2 days hands on and like it a lot. Then there was that one guy just recently that had one month on it and liked it as well. So i think it's a game that grows on you, it doesn't blast you away at first as some awesome game, but it gets there as you play.

Hmm seems to me there was a lot of choice in KoToR, from looking at Mr. Viktor's post history. I'll say he has a general dislike for ToR and will post negative in any post regarding ToR. On the bright side remember the guy Foney was the name I think. This guy was a hardcore pvper went to the summit event, and came back and remembered more about the game's story and choices, than he did about the pvp. This has to tell you something, if ToR can draw in a player that's all about pvp and turn them into an RPer that's quiet the accomplishment.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I love bioware but im still not convinced that TOR is going to bring anything worthwhile to the table..

It should have smashing box sales but i am skeptical that the game will retain customers for long based solely off the footage i have seen so far and nothing else..

I hope its a great game and that its players love it and arent disappointed but i will hold my breath for at least a year on this one..

Playing GW2..

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by dageeza

I love bioware but im still not convinced that TOR is going to bring anything worthwhile to the table..

It should have smashing box sales but i am skeptical that the game will retain customers for long based solely off the footage i have seen so far and nothing else..

I hope its a great game and that its players love it and arent disappointed but i will hold my breath for at least a year on this one..

I am not sure why you come to the conclusion about retaining customers. Each class has 200 hours of personal story to play through  (so 8X 200 hrs right now) without adding the group stuff, PVP, Raids, Flashpoints and 14-16 massive planets. If these are well told Bioware stories as we have seen in the likes of ME 1 & 2, or Dragon Age: Origins then that sounds like it could keep people busy enjoying the game for some time and I barely scratched the surface of features. There is also space combat, your personal ship to upgrade, crafting with your companions, companion missions, social hubs, and so on. You can even romance your companions.

I think this thing about retention is mob mentality much like the group that latched on to saying TOR was a co-op RPG and not an MMO. It is not really based in the facts of what we know about the game and about Bioware as a story teller in games.  When the mob gets involved people start to group think and lose the ability to self access with facts.

That is not to say that everyone is going to love this game because you can't please everyone. The sandbox folks will probably think it is to themeparkish and the PVP players will scream for more PVP balance, oh and EA haters will simply hate on the game because EA is the publisher. The good news is, at least in my opinion, these are the vocal minority and the majority is more likely to get absorbed in the couple hundred hours of story for each of these classes and beyond.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The Star Wars universe in general is not theme park hold me by the hand universe.