Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimum requirements to turn WoW into a Sandbox?

IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I know, you're supposed to develop a sandbox from the ground up, yadda, yadda.

But, most "sandboxes" release as almost unplayable pieces of crap. They lack "polish" as we call it.

So, take a game that has "polish", which would be WoW.

Start with that.

What do you need to add to qualify it as a "Sandbox"?

Comments

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

One garbage can? lol sorry couldent help it.

• NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

A more invovled and complex player driven economy. You need to make things that crafters make much more valuvable than what they are and you need to implement systems in which crafters can diferentiate themselves from the rest. Think of how SWG did it. You also need more incentives to do open world PvP. 

Right now WoW is basically a lobby game; that is, you stand around in the main city doing pretty much nothing while a queue pops up or it's time for your guild's raid. There's little incentive to go out into the world at end game, so it feels dead. 

• StarfireCorpStarfireCorp Member Posts: 5

You will have problems with licinse they would probably sue u for alot, i mean alot of money.

Also a existing game like WoW used alot of things u will also have to work with, which is probably also owned by them.

I seriously have no clue how u came up with that idea, or maybe i miss readed it, but u should think twice next time.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Heh... sounds like a can of worms opening.

No more strict faction restrictions.

No more classes -> open skill based.

More non-combat roles that were equally as important and in depth as combat currently is. No more crafting as a secondary, either you focus on crafting to the detriment of combat, or you're a terrible crafter.

Player based economy where crafted items are the best and most used, not random loot drops.

No more dungeon treadmill end-game.

Open world player housing.

And... lots lots more.

• ChewybunnyChewybunny Member UncommonPosts: 52

replace classes with skills.

remove any sense of "leveling" and grinding.

Quests # should be reduced, quest length increased. 

Remove any instanced content.

Issue solved.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Make a brand new sandbox game and name it WoW.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

anything pertaining to open world of various ways and kind wont happen in wow because of lag issue

ask athene!he tried to create event ,ho he did create them 4000  player showed up in stv gurubashy arena ,gess what happened?

the server crashed!so my suggestion ask blizzard to implement the mod suggested by ms then they can have 1000 player in the same map!wait!that still wont work cause he had 4000 player in that area lol so even with ms techno it still wouldnt bring the cappacity wow would require.so there is only one solution no open world event!(sadly)if blizzard could i bet it would have stayed open!

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

Originally posted by Czelaw

One garbage can? lol sorry couldent help it.

+1

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Territory holding. That'd be kind of fun.

Player constructed sctructures and quest hubs.

At least dual-classing capabilities.

Forced gnome slavery would be a nice touch.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

to last poster:if it was made as a guild event?hell no!as a server event?hell no!as a regional  server event(using almost same tool as dungeon lfg?mm!lets see!if this was made a say lfg event for control of an area,maybe but only the server and area took control of would be to say elitistjerk random group.can it be done?YES! probably fairly simply too ,and the fact it would never be in the same server and never in the same map would prob make it fun but i have one question?why?say our random pug bg or map quester get this ,what do we get?access to specific raid or pvp or a combination of both?is it a weekly event a monthly event!lot of question .one thing i know if it is on my server only or guild only i dont want any of it!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

At one end of the spectrum you have themparks, at the other end you have sandbox.  If you made WOW a sandbox then you would have to change the core of the game to be community driven and not progress/gear/population-subscription size driven.  If you did make that change then  it would not be wow.  This asside Blizzard primary concern is number of players who subscribe so sandbox aint gonna happen.  So I guess the answer is that blizz needs to be less greedy eh :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Sandbox is a dream that will never be as good as it sounds.  I played UO for 5 years.... if you want to know what the majority of my gametime was like, just go to any area in twilight highlands and grind mobs for 2 hours trying to get a blue drop.  In UO, i probably spent the first two years killing 1 million elder gazers, and the last 3 years kill 1 million balrons in Ish... that was probably 75% of my logged time.

One thing WOW really could do is to give items limited durability... every time you repair an item, it has a chance to break.  Other than that, a sandbox is nothing more than WOW without quests... just a big map (which wow has) with mobs spawning at certain locations (which wow has)... the only difference is WOW gives you a reason to kill those mobs, and a reason to not kill a million of them.

Seriously, ask anyone who played UO the first 3 years what an elder gazer was... then you will get an idea of what a sandbox game is.... it is finding a high level mob (but not too high that there is a risk of dyng) that spawns frequently and in an isolated area.   You ever had to grind leather or cloth in WOW?  welcome to UO.. you find efficient spots and grind... and grind...

• ColdskinColdskin Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Krematory

Make a brand new sandbox game and name it WoW.

yep, he can also make  brand new sandbox games and name them , tBC , WotLK and Cataclysm as expansion