Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so no open beta?

Comments

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

No one plays to test, it's all like a free trial before release nowadays.  You sound like such a conspiracy theorist, really, they must be hiding something!  Give me a break, Bioware has a track record of great games, well ok DA2 was kinda bleh but still a lot of people enjoyed it.  Other than that just the quality of their games alone makes me want to play it, then of course it's Star Wars too so thats a plus.

Plus one thing about open betas, is that it gives you chance to see if the game is worthy of buying before release. Sure they will sell a ton on release anyways but business wise you'd think since the game is so hyped up anyways why blow your load by letting everyone try it out beforehand and giving those who would buy it at release without an open beta, a chance to say nevermind.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Weren't they supposed significantly let more people in on the closed beta by the end of the month ?  It is the end of the month so I would guess more people would be estatic by now.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Originally posted by Kyleran

Open betas today are largely a marketing tool to generate player interest in an MMO.  TOR needs no such thing, millions will pay them the box price sight unseen to give the game a go and they know it. 

Eventually there will be a free trial, you might want to wait until then.

As a consumer I would want to try the game before I buy to make sure that the devs delivered on all their promises or even to see if I end up liking the game.

Sure they developers can make a lot of money from people who are dead set on buying the game whether its good or not, but I don't want a developer to make money off of their game if it ends up being utter shit.

No open beta = good for developers.

Open beta = good for consumers.

Games are for the consumers. I'm very skeptical of a developer who decides not to use a tool that most others use that puts more power in the players' hands.

Yes, I'm sure not having a free trial period before launch will keep them from selling several million copies of one of the most hyped games since WoW . . .

If the game is shit then I don't want them making money. If its any good then all the power to them. I just don't like them taking some of the consumer's power away by giving them the ultimatum of either buying it (and possibly either not liking it or it being utter crap) or not playing it at all.

An open beta/demo/trial period gives players more power. They get to decide with first-hand experience whether the game is worth their money or not before they spend it.

Why not wait until six months post release to buy it knowing how things are going by then?  It's not like your suffering from adhd and have to have it at release.

Because most sales come from the initial launch. And if the game isn't done or any good at launch then I don't want the developer to make money off of it.

If you can't release a good game then you don't deserve the customers' money. An open beta gives the consumers the power of deciding whether the game is worth their money before they spend it. Like someone else said, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?

You avoided my fair and honest question.  I will take it as a win for me.  :D

You have to understand something very easy to understand.  A game can be good at release without an open beta.  A game be worth it without having to have you test it.  You can wait six months or a year for swtor to have a trial then play it to decide if it's up to your standards.  But don't try to say something like you want can't wait until that trial because you will be too far behind.  That is a choice of risk which you claim you won't do.  The game won't miss your one sub.

I didn't avoid anything. You just completely missed my point. I will take it as a win for me. image

I know a game can be good without an open beta. I never said it couldn't. What I did say and what you missed was that It might not be good. If it isn't good and there is no open beta then people will end up spending money on a PoS. An open beta allows people to gain first hand knowledge and experience on the game and they can decide whether or not to give developers their money due to their own experiences rather than second hand experiences like reviews or other peoples' words. Once again, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?

I believe that if the game isn't good or finished by the time the release date rolls around then it shouldn't be released. It should be pushed back and finished (don't give me any of that "but MMOs are never finished" bullshit). If you can't finish it then you need a new development team. A developer doesn't deserve the consumers' money if they can't release a finished and polished game. An open beta allows the general consumer to decide if the game is deserving of their money with their own experiences. No open beta removes this power from the consumer and forces upon them the ultimatum of either buying what is potentially crap (reviews don't tell you anything, look at the DA2 reviews) or not buying it at all.

P.S. Don't make this personal and say Bioware won't miss my one sub. I have yet to play a Bioware game that I can consider good. I personally found DA:O to be utter shit and ME2 was only "meh". I was never planning to buy or play TOR in the first place. My arguments are about open betas in general.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Malickie

As a consumer I would want to try the game before I buy to make sure that the devs delivered on all their promises or even to see if I end up liking the game.

Sure they developers can make a lot of money from people who are dead set on buying the game whether its good or not, but I don't want a developer to make money off of their game if it ends up being utter shit.

Games are for the consumers. I'm very skeptical of a developer who decides not to use a tool that most others use that puts more power in the players' hands.

I could have sworn I saw you say you don't play games that have monthly fees anyway, something like "I don't rent games"?

There are three reasons why I don't think Bioware needs an OB with TOR.

1. The story element, this is ample reason enough, as why spoil these moments before launch?

Piss poor argument. Each class supposedly has hundreds of hours of story. Even a week long open beta shouldn't make a dent in that.

2. They already have more than enough signed up to CB, to not need an open beta. Over a million I believe. All they need to do is let a huge number of them in a few weekends to stress test their servers.

Another piss poor argument. If their servers can't handle an open beta then what does that say about them at launch. More stress testers is always good. 

3. All OB is, is a glorified trial, most gamers use as a means to get their fill of the game before it even launches. They basically get to play for free. That's just not how consumerism is supposed to work.

The consumers are supposed to have the power. No way of trying the game before they buy it forces an ultimatum upon them and removes their power. Having a free trial or oben beta before launch gives consumers the power of deciding whether or not the game is worth their money or even if the developers delivered on their promises.

Besides if you think there are severe problems with the game and people won't be spilling that all over the net, simply because of an NDA, you're wrong.

My arguments in this thread are about open betas in general. I would never play a sub game. And I don't consider Bioware to be a good developer.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I didn't avoid anything. You just completely missed my point. I will take it as a win for me. image

I know a game can be good without an open beta. I never said it couldn't. What I did say and what you missed was that It might not be good. If it isn't good and there is no open beta then people will end up spending money on a PoS. An open beta allows people to gain first hand knowledge and experience on the game and they can decide whether or not to give developers their money due to their own experiences rather than second hand experiences like reviews or other peoples' words. Once again, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?

I believe that if the game isn't good or finished by the time the release date rolls around then it shouldn't be released. It should be pushed back and finished (don't give me any of that "but MMOs are never finished" bullshit). If you can't finish it then you need a new development team. A developer doesn't deserve the consumers' money if they can't release a finished and polished game. An open beta allows the general consumer to decide if the game is deserving of their money with their own experiences. No open beta removes this power from the consumer and forces upon them the ultimatum of either buying what is potentially crap (reviews don't tell you anything, look at the DA2 reviews) or not buying it at all.

P.S. Don't make this personal and say Bioware won't miss my one sub. I have yet to play a Bioware game that I can consider good. I personally found DA:O to be utter shit and ME2 was only "meh". I was never planning to buy or play TOR in the first place. My arguments are about open betas in general.

A good open beta doesn't mean the final product is good either. I recall AOC having a fairly good open beta.

How people spend their money is ultimately up to them and trying to influence their decision on an internet forum is futile anyway.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AlienstudiosAlienstudios Member Posts: 49

Open Betas and Free Trials are for spoiled kids and teens that think everything in life is free.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

everyone and their mother will be buying this anyway.. with or without open beta..

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

About two years ago during one of the PAX or E3 discussions, Bioware said that they did not plan to conduct the "traditional" beta testing as many have come to understand them. So, it is not surprising that they would not have an "open" beta. As has been mentioned, most Open Betas these days are not really for testing. Open Betas have become a type of marketing method to help get word of mouth out that the game is (hopefully) good. Bioware (EA) have obviously decided that just the Star Wars brand will garner it enough interest that no such marketing ploy will be needed.

This is not to say that SWTOR will not be TESTED. There are currently individuals that have been invited to test and more are being added as needed. If someone does not think that SWTOR is not being tested properly they just have no clue as to how a game is tested for quality, content, and server stress before launch. 100% of the games previously launched would do just the same on "launch" day if they had no "open" beta. All of those games were (or should have been) long before open beta ever came around.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

First, the reviews for DA2 were in large part fair, the game got very mediocre scores (for Bioware) mostly hanging around 7/10's at highest 8/10. If you think the game was worse that's you're opinion, and that's fine. I don't even like Dragon Age games and I'd still give it around a 7. Simply because that's what I feel the overall package should score.

Second if you have no interest in Bioware games or TOR why are you even posting here? I hardly ever ask that question to someone, but you're "my arguments are about OB's in genreal" kinda rings as BS to me.

You've been popping up in such a way to rain negative thoughts on this game for quite a while now, now you're saying you wouldn't play the game anyway. That just makes no sense, no sense at all.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by EduardoASG

everyone and their mother will be buying this anyway.. with or without open beta..

Thats the problem though. If the game truly sucks we won't really know till we buy it. But the company will boost about 2 million boxes sold, yet it could be that the sub base is like 100k after 30 days.. Thats false and misleading and tbh bioware games aren't all that great... I personally don't own any.. I will say this though, If i buy this game and its utter junk, Im not going to hesitate to stop payment on the CC.. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by metatronic

Thats the problem though. If the game truly sucks we won't really know till we buy it. But the company will boost about 2 million boxes sold, yet it could be that the sub base is like 100k after 30 days.. Thats false and misleading and tbh bioware games aren't all that great... I personally don't own any.. I will say this though, If i buy this game and its utter junk, Im not going to hesitate to stop payment on the CC.. 

If that's how you feel why buy it in the first place? Especially if you don't like Bioware games in general.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by metatronic

Yeah - you know, if you're THAT concerned that the game is going to be 'utter junk', why would you purchase it immediately?  Just curious? Especially since you think their games aren't that great?

False and misleading?  No, if they sell 2 million boxes, then they've sold 2 million boxes and they can boAst about that till the cows come home without it being false or misleading in any way.

Finally - chargebacks don't work that way.  Perhaps learn how they do work (Hint, if the service is as advertised and your CC company DOES allow the chargeback - they'll be the one eating the charge, which they won't be too happy about)

I just love people who've come to expect 'open betas' as if it's their right.  It isn't.  It's a stupid marketing ploy that never should have begun in the first place.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Open betas today are largely a marketing tool to generate player interest in an MMO.  TOR needs no such thing, millions will pay them the box price sight unseen to give the game a go and they know it. 

Eventually there will be a free trial, you might want to wait until then.

Yes, I'm sure not having a free trial period before launch will keep them from selling several million copies of one of the most hyped games since WoW . . .

If the game is shit then I don't want them making money. If its any good then all the power to them. I just don't like them taking some of the consumer's power away by giving them the ultimatum of either buying it (and possibly either not liking it or it being utter crap) or not playing it at all.

An open beta/demo/trial period gives players more power. They get to decide with first-hand experience whether the game is worth their money or not before they spend it.

Why not wait until six months post release to buy it knowing how things are going by then?  It's not like your suffering from adhd and have to have it at release.

Because most sales come from the initial launch. And if the game isn't done or any good at launch then I don't want the developer to make money off of it.

If you can't release a good game then you don't deserve the customers' money. An open beta gives the consumers the power of deciding whether the game is worth their money before they spend it. Like someone else said, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?

You avoided my fair and honest question.  I will take it as a win for me.  :D

You have to understand something very easy to understand.  A game can be good at release without an open beta.  A game be worth it without having to have you test it.  You can wait six months or a year for swtor to have a trial then play it to decide if it's up to your standards.  But don't try to say something like you want can't wait until that trial because you will be too far behind.  That is a choice of risk which you claim you won't do.  The game won't miss your one sub.

If you don't like any Bioware games, you aren't really going to like this game.  They won't miss your sub.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Originally posted by SaintViktor

Weren't they supposed significantly let more people in on the closed beta by the end of the month ?  It is the end of the month so I would guess more people would be estatic by now.

StephenReid General Discussion -> Penny Arcade: I have a secret. I've been playing SWTOR

Quote:

Originally Posted by VonClausewitz

I would also like to hear an answer to this question. Was he outright mistaken or is there something quantitatively unique happening to beta at the end of this month?

He was mistaken, or misinformed. I have no way to know.

I've said this before but it bears repeating: investor calls/conferences aren't aimed at general members of the community. First of all, very rarely do any of the statements made there get run by us in advance (because they're not supposed to be devoured by community - and yes, I am working on this). Second of all, the language and tone of those calls is aimed at investors, not community members.

No-one can stop you guys listening to these things (EA's a public company, after all) but there is no point in trying to over-analyse what is generally said, except as an analytical exercise. Statements are couched in specific ways for a specific audience, and that won't change.

BTW, there's no need to remind me that if you had a release date you wouldn't be 'forced' into doing this.

Anyway, while we are adding more and more people to Game Testing, as I've said a few times, we're not planning on any 'special event' at the end of June.

edit: i have a question for people.  how often do you buy games, outside of mmos, that you haven't played a demo for or tried the game somewhere first as soon as it comes out?  i'm just curious because while i don't buy games as often as i would like, very rarely have i tried the game in some form before purchasing.  And it seems odd to me that mmos would be held to a different standard.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I'm surprised some peoples tin foil hat still fits.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

If you don't like any Bioware games, you aren't really going to like this game.  They won't miss your sub.

If one doesn't like any of the Single-Player RPG's by Bioware, you mean? 

I happen to like Biowares' single-player RPG's, but none of us have played one of their mmorpg's that ask for $15/month yet.

Stay-tuned.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I happen to like Biowares' single-player RPG's, but none of us have played one of their mmorpg's that ask for $15/month yet.

Stay-tuned.

I wasn't replying to you.  Read and keep up with the thread.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Stay-tuned.

I wasn't replying to you.  Read and keep up with the thread.

No, but I was replying to your comment, or the comment, depending on how one looks at it. Regardless, thanks for taking notice!  *hugs*

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Orrrrrrr they dont want people to ruin the story prior to release and write walkthroughs, makes sense to me.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Good for you, stop talking in the SW:TOR thread if you don't care about this game. Or you can keep trolling this thread because thats all you have to do. There is a multitude of reasons why they shouldnt have an open beta and they are all plausible. You're in the vast minority here, stop trying to speak as if you speak for everyone,

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Killswitch34

Good for you, stop talking in the SW:TOR thread if you don't care about this game. Or you can keep trolling this thread because thats all you have to do. There is a multitude of reasons why they shouldnt have an open beta and they are all plausible. You're in the vast minority here, stop trying to speak as if you speak for everyone,

+1 to Killswitch34 for the common sense!

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by Swanea

I'm surprised some peoples tin foil hat still fits.

I think for some it's on too tight!

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234
    now i don't care if they have one or don't i'm buying the game but I don't recall seeing anything that said they would not have an open beta. Was just looking for a link to this news that your all discussing in this thread.

• Originally posted by segyn

now i don't care if they have one or don't i'm buying the game but I don't recall seeing anything that said they would not have an open beta. Was just looking for a link to this news that your all discussing in this thread.

its mainly based on a quote from daniel erickson at e3 but has been somewhat confirmed by other devs that they will likely not do a wide open open beta where they just let anyone in.  if they do an "open beta" it would be by invite of somekind(they haven't said if it would be thru keys or pre-orders or anything).  they feel since they already have 1mil+ people signed up to try and get into testing, they don't need to do an open beta for stress testing because they have a large enough pool of people to select from to preform those tests.

here is the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YibE7jtHC6E&feature=player_detailpage#t=74s

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

Here is the scenario: on day one and two, hundreds of thousands and potentially millions of people will try to sign up, create characters, and start playing. How is BioWare going to stress-test something like this? Without an open beta?

They could do it with automation, have 1 million bots always trying to log in, create and delete new characters, and generally fool around in the game. That is what I would do. No point in exposing real people to a weakness if you don't have to.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.