Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so no open beta?

Sounds like they are hiding something. Why would they not stress test with open beta to get a feel for how many are actually going to be playing/how many servers are going to be needed?

That Daniel Erickson guy seems like a professional liar too.. I study psychology and body language. I can't say what it is exactly about this guy but he is lying profusely with each word he spits out. I don't trust him or this company to deliver and I'm really concerned that theres no open beta which is just indicative of pure greed by making us pay to try out the game. Rift = open beta and extremely polished game/launch.. swtor = elusive and shifty PR people who seem to be hiding something.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Open betas today are largely a marketing tool to generate player interest in an MMO.  TOR needs no such thing, millions will pay them the box price sight unseen to give the game a go and they know it. 

Eventually there will be a free trial, you might want to wait until then.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

open betas are aways nice tho :0

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by coxyroxy

Eh, maybe if open beta "testers" actually tested the game instead of using it as a glorified free trial, I might agree with you.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Kyleran

Open betas today are largely a marketing tool to generate player interest in an MMO.  TOR needs no such thing, millions will pay them the box price sight unseen to give the game a go and they know it. 

As a consumer I would want to try the game before I buy to make sure that the devs delivered on all their promises or even to see if I end up liking the game.

Sure they developers can make a lot of money from people who are dead set on buying the game whether its good or not, but I don't want a developer to make money off of their game if it ends up being utter shit.

No open beta = good for developers.

Open beta = good for consumers.

Games are for the consumers. I'm very skeptical of a developer who decides not to use a tool that most others use that puts more power in the players' hands.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

Why bother stress testing when u have over 1 million people signed up for a closed beta, i'm sure even 25% of the ppl signed up ould be enough to stress test a server. Plus Rifts shown, it didn't need the open beta at all, most open betas prove to be a bit detrimental to the image the marketing team portray. With all the "WoW Clone" threads that would appear regardless of even if they are in the open beta or not, also, for most big production mmo's open beta, hasn't really been open, only open if you intend to buy the game in the first place.

Also professional lier? You are saying he is getting paid to lie about a game that he's sat infront of playing? Strange concept.....

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Lets hurry this up, it comes out tomorrow right?

Originally posted by romanator0

As a consumer I would want to try the game before I buy to make sure that the devs delivered on all their promises or even to see if I end up liking the game.

Sure they developers can make a lot of money from people who are dead set on buying the game whether its good or not, but I don't want a developer to make money off of their game if it ends up being utter shit.

Games are for the consumers. I'm very skeptical of a developer who decides not to use a tool that most others use that puts more power in the players' hands.

Yes, I'm sure not having a free trial period before launch will keep them from selling several million copies of one of the most hyped games since WoW . . .

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

from a business stand point open beta of a buy to play pay to play game is generally bad. a perfect example is final fantasy xiv.

So when you put as much money into a mmo as ea has done for TOR you take no chances. You either buy the game and play it then. Or you dont play it at all. Im sure at some point after release there will be a beta but I agree with the no open beta.

To many companys try to market their game by preorder now and get into beta. So you get people spending 5 bucks play the beta but dont test for shit then make posts about how the game is bad and give it bad reviews. Untrue reviews. And so on. 

If EA makes this decision and sticks with it. I agree whole heartedly.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Yes, I'm sure not having a free trial period before launch will keep them from selling several million copies of one of the most hyped games since WoW . . .

If the game is shit then I don't want them making money. If its any good then all the power to them. I just don't like them taking some of the consumer's power away by giving them the ultimatum of either buying it (and possibly either not liking it or it being utter crap) or not playing it at all.

An open beta/demo/trial period gives players more power. They get to decide with first-hand experience whether the game is worth their money or not before they spend it.

• OsmanthusOsmanthus Member UncommonPosts: 105

Eh, maybe if open beta "testers" actually tested the game instead of using it as a glorified free trial, I might agree with you.

Lol. You are clearly not an experienced MMO beta tester.  I have done a few dozen betas and there is one common thread of all MMO betas: the developers never listen to beta feedback.  Oh, sometimes it appears that way because the stuff the devs talk about and fix do correlate to actual things beta testers find.  However, this is basically a hoax.  The actual developers do what they feel like and the PR guys we call the 'Devs' try to paste logic onto the results.    

It is an absolute rule of beta testing that at some point an announcement will be made that the developers hear the testers complaints and this next release will fix it all, and then it will go on to list a bunch of stuff not one beta tester ever reported: meanwhile egregious problems reported from day one will linger from alpha to beta, beta to release.

TL;DR it is not beta testers fault that betas don't improve gameplay, the developers do not listen

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Originally posted by metatronic

Sounds like they are hiding something. Why would they not stress test with open beta to get a feel for how many are actually going to be playing/how many servers are going to be needed?

That Daniel Erickson guy seems like a professional liar too.. I study psychology and body language. I can't say what it is exactly about this guy but he is lying profusely with each word he spits out. I don't trust him or this company to deliver and I'm really concerned that theres no open beta which is just indicative of pure greed by making us pay to try out the game. Rift = open beta and extremely polished game/launch.. swtor = elusive and shifty PR people who seem to be hiding something.

Ill tell you what they are hiding, its going to be a basic theme park mmo like all the others. I think were to get the impression that this game is going to be different , but what i think is that its just going to be a basic thempark mmo . They are wanting us to buy so they hype up the game as if its going to be special when in fact after a couple of weeks set in buyers will find its just like the rest. Im pretty sure that is what bioware are hiding. They keep going on about story all the time, or they did but all that tells me is that as you do quests, youll get dialogue as to what the quest is about. Just basically the same thing as evey other mmo has done.

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

Originally posted by coxyroxy

no offense man but open betas are never to test and find bugs. The games are usually allready compiled and ready to ship on disks for store shelves. Its just too close to launch for any major bug fixes and minor bugs usually go un fixed for months..open betas are more for sever load testing, not software/bug testing.. But its also a good time for consumers to take a test drive.. I mean you don't go buy a car without taking it for a spin around the block do you?

I can't even rely on end user reviews to know if its any good before buying.. theres so many fanboys around this game is scary. The game could play like lego star wars online and they would sell it like its the greatest thing since sliced bread.. just because its star wars. Another example is how I thought wow was utter garbage yet 10 million people were brainwashed and hypnotized by in game subliminals and visuals, so I can't rely on that either.. Im just a small percentage of humans who can't be brainwashed but I can spot the zombies like flies on shit..

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If the game is shit then I don't want them making money. If its any good then all the power to them. I just don't like them taking some of the consumer's power away by giving them the ultimatum of either buying it (and possibly either not liking it or it being utter crap) or not playing it at all.

An open beta/demo/trial period gives players more power. They get to decide with first-hand experience whether the game is worth their money or not before they spend it.

Why not wait until six months post release to buy it knowing how things are going by then?  It's not like your suffering from adhd and have to have it at release.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Kooshdin

Ill tell you what they are hiding, its going to be a basic theme park mmo like all the others. I think were to get the impression that this game is going to be different , but what i think is that its just going to be a basic thempark mmo . They are wanting us to buy so they hype up the game as if its going to be special when in fact after a couple of weeks set in buyers will find its just like the rest. Im pretty sure that is what bioware are hiding. They keep going on about story all the time, or they did but all that tells me is that as you do quests, youll get dialogue as to what the quest is about. Just basically the same thing as evey other mmo has done.

They have never denied that the game is a theme park. Also, the hype is coming from the people waiting for it and those that have played it, even the beta leak sites have loved the game.

They have nothing to hide, it's a themepark MMO set in the star wars universe with story telling as a focus. If you don't like themeparks or Bioware RPG's then quite simply don't buy it. You obviously don't know much about their story telling methods otherwise you wouldn't be guessing that its just a fancy way to get you to kill X mobs.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Why not wait until six months post release to buy it knowing how things are going by then?  It's not like your suffering from adhd and have to have it at release.

Because most sales come from the initial launch. And if the game isn't done or any good at launch then I don't want the developer to make money off of it.

If you can't release a good game then you don't deserve the customers' money. An open beta gives the consumers the power of deciding whether the game is worth their money before they spend it. Like someone else said, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Everyone just plays the game when it is in the beta phase rather than... Hmmm.. You know, reporting bugs and stuff, instead they end up on the forums complaining about the game instead.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by metatronic

Their not hiding anything. Bioware has never claimed they were creating a totally new game that was so different from everything else.

What they are bringing that is new is the personal stroy and the way you quest with full VO throuhgout the game.They are also changing up core features like crafting and pvp and adding their own twist to them.

As for the open beta, they don't need that at all. They have over a million people signed up and a buttload in testing right now. Open beta is nothing but a freeloaders way to play the game.

Originally posted by Kabaal

They have never denied that the game is a theme park. Also, the hype is coming from the people waiting for it and those that have played it, even the beta leak sites have loved the game.

They have nothing to hide, it's a themepark MMO set in the star wars universe with story telling as a focus. If you don't like themeparks or Bioware RPG's then quite simply don't buy it. You obviously don't know much about their story telling methods otherwise you wouldn't be guessing that its just a fancy way to get you to kill X mobs.

I have played bits of kotor series, ive played 2 mass effect games and a bit of dragon age origins. I know biowares storytelling in games. For dragon age origins though, i could not follow all the storytelling it was just too much to take on board. Because of this,I was making mistakes that affected my game in that  i was making bad decisions when not paying attention and it affected my game from that moment on.

I prefer the gameplay to the reading so the storytelling is a hinderence for me if they dont make it short and snappy. I couldnt get too far with dragon age origins as it required you to remember things about the text you read in game. I gave up after about 20 hours as i could not stomach reading and learning any more of the lore. 

It iis a big problem for me if i have to remember the lore as its read to me in a game, especially if it affects how i play the game !! The game is going to be a massive let down for those players who prefer to just do the gaming part of the game anddiregard the text. If people dont read and learn what is told of them while playing SWTOR they are going to make wrong decisions sometime throughout there journey, causing there character to be what they wish it not. I found this happen to me in dragon age origins and it wasnt good. Nothing worse than if you choose a text phrase that causes your character to remove an aspect of the character you thorughly enjoy affecting the rest of the game for that character. Its easy enough to do if you dont pay 100% attention to the text as you play these story telling games.

Lastly you backed up my theories on SWTOTR with regards to it being just another themepark game. Lots of people are disturbed that every mmo coming out is exactly the same as the one before. Originallity and new things to do are what make a game not doing the same thing over and over, especially when people are kicking up a stink about the fact the games coming out are just simply clones of other games !

Originally posted by Kabaal

I have played bits of kotor series, ive played 2 mass effect games and a bit of dragon age origins. I know biowares storytelling in games. For dragon age origins though, i could not follow all the storytelling it was just too much to take on board. Because of this,I was making mistakes that affected my game in that  i was making bad decisions when not paying attention and it affected my game from that moment on.

I prefer the gameplay to the reading so the storytelling is a hinderence for me if they dont make it short and snappy. I couldnt get too far with dragon age origins as it required you to remember things about the text you read in game. I gave up after about 20 hours as i could not stomach reading and learning any more of the lore. 

It iis a big problem for me if i have to remember the lore as its read to me in a game, especially if it affects how i play the game !! The game is going to be a massive let down for those players who prefer to just do the gaming part of the game anddiregard the text. If people dont read and learn what is told of them while playing SWTOR they are going to make wrong decisions sometime throughout there journey, causing there character to be what they wish it not. I found this happen to me in dragon age origins and it wasnt good. Nothing worse than if you choose a text phrase that causes your character to remove an aspect of the character you thorughly enjoy affecting the rest of the game for that character. Its easy enough to do if you dont pay 100% attention to the text as you play these story telling games.

Lastly you backed up my theories on SWTOTR with regards to it being just another themepark game. Lots of people are disturbed that every mmo coming out is exactly the same as the one before. Originallity and new things to do are what make a game not doing the same thing over and over, especially when people are kicking up a stink about the fact the games coming out are just simply clones of other games !

I am also playing a new mmo called forskaen world and I can tell you its free to play and one thing ive noticed about the free to play games ive tried is that they add new features to the games as they come out. Ether saga and forsaken world are perfect examples of games that are leading edge in my opinion and they are free to play games. SWTOR is going to come out i bet being behind these freetoplay games with regards to the features available in the game. Basically just being simillar in style to other pay to play games. It will be a game that at first looks dazzling and then 2 weeks or so after youve paid youll realise its a clone just a game to make more money using past pay to play mmo results as a way to cash in.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Agree that it is just a marketing tool these days but the majority of mmos have an open beta, even atleast a weekend preview.

Originally posted by Osmanthus

Lol. You are clearly not an experienced MMO beta tester.  I have done a few dozen betas and there is one common thread of all MMO betas: the developers never listen to beta feedback.  Oh, sometimes it appears that way because the stuff the devs talk about and fix do correlate to actual things beta testers find.  However, this is basically a hoax.  The actual developers do what they feel like and the PR guys we call the 'Devs' try to paste logic onto the results.    

It is an absolute rule of beta testing that at some point an announcement will be made that the developers hear the testers complaints and this next release will fix it all, and then it will go on to list a bunch of stuff not one beta tester ever reported: meanwhile egregious problems reported from day one will linger from alpha to beta, beta to release.

TL;DR it is not beta testers fault that betas don't improve gameplay, the developers do not listen

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5332/Why-Youre-Not-a-Beta-Tester.html

• Originally posted by daydreamerxx

from a business stand point open beta of a buy to play pay to play game is generally bad. a perfect example is final fantasy xiv.

So when you put as much money into a mmo as ea has done for TOR you take no chances. You either buy the game and play it then. Or you dont play it at all. Im sure at some point after release there will be a beta but I agree with the no open beta.

To many companys try to market their game by preorder now and get into beta. So you get people spending 5 bucks play the beta but dont test for shit then make posts about how the game is bad and give it bad reviews. Untrue reviews. And so on. 

If EA makes this decision and sticks with it. I agree whole heartedly.

That's not true. It's only a bad decision when you have something to hide, as in you speculate on people buying it due to expecting a really good product but you kinda know it's not gonna be what they were hoping for.

If you were proud of the game, you'd use the Open Beta as a immense marketing tool and change the opinion of those who were on the fence about the game.

So by all means, no open beta is anything but a positive sign.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by waynejr2

Because most sales come from the initial launch. And if the game isn't done or any good at launch then I don't want the developer to make money off of it.

If you can't release a good game then you don't deserve the customers' money. An open beta gives the consumers the power of deciding whether the game is worth their money before they spend it. Like someone else said, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it would you?

You avoided my fair and honest question.  I will take it as a win for me.  :D

You have to understand something very easy to understand.  A game can be good at release without an open beta.  A game be worth it without having to have you test it.  You can wait six months or a year for swtor to have a trial then play it to decide if it's up to your standards.  But don't try to say something like you want can't wait until that trial because you will be too far behind.  That is a choice of risk which you claim you won't do.  The game won't miss your one sub.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Precisely.  Firstly, open-beta = propaganda / marketing / pr, not testing.

Secondly, it is more likely that Bioware has more profesional and third-party "Beta-Testers", and unlikely that Bioware is inviting players to "Beta-Test" their game. But rather, the invitations folks receive these days is an invite to participate in some type a "Game-Testing Program" where SW:TOR is not performing "Beta-Testing" with those users, however, asking them for completion of weekly or daily game-play surveys and the like. 

Bioware already knows the type of Themepark, single-player-esque, PvE-Centric, story-heavy, instanced-heavy, RPG that they want to deliver, so there should be no surprise there.

And with that, it might be likely that there could be an early-launch or Head-Start participation for pre-order folks, and a free-trial 3-months post-launch, but I wouldnt hold my breadth on any type of "Open-Beta".  But that's my impression.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I could have sworn I saw you say you don't play games that have monthly fees anyway, something like "I don't rent games"?

There are three reasons why I don't think Bioware needs an OB with TOR.

1. The story element, this is ample reason enough, as why spoil these moments before launch?

2. They already have more than enough signed up to CB, to not need an open beta. Over a million I believe. All they need to do is let a huge number of them in a few weekends to stress test their servers.

3. All OB is, is a glorified trial, most gamers use as a means to get their fill of the game before it even launches. They basically get to play for free. That's just not how consumerism is supposed to work.

Besides if you think there are severe problems with the game and people won't be spilling that all over the net, simply because of an NDA, you're wrong.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson