Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With SWG being shot in the face, why isn't Everquest gone?

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Originally posted by bezado

Originally posted by Lidane

Originally posted by Murashu

EQ was entirely quest based. It's called Ever QUEST for a reason.

Questing in EQ was entirely different than the current themeparks though. There were quests, but they were never the main source of progression.

True, you get more experience doing quests now than you did back then. Thing is, there were still quests, and EQ was still a quest-based game at heart. It's not SOE's fault that the playerbase found the more efficient way to play (i.e., camping, kiting, etc.) instead of actually finding and doing the quests in the game. That's just how things worked out.

Still is, really. 

I disagree with that 100%, as a vet player who played since launch I find it wrong that it was quest based from the beginning. There was no quest that got thrown in your face that you absolutely had to do, there was no npc that told you to get quests from him and such. EQ was more of a leveling experience and camping then anything. Players always wanted to exp and level, fight kill raid and get new loots. The game was Loot driven not quest driven. 99% of your players int he first year of EQ did not care about questing, they only cared about camping and killing shit to experience and get gear. The game is still focused around gearing and levels, when AA alternate experience came out it made it more of a camp style game for experience. Quests have always been in the background, but they were there and when you had a good guild and ready you could of done your eqpic or other type quests for cool stuff like the eyepatch of plunder or whatever.

I don't count progression quests as questing to be honest and many wont. That is more of a guild effort in everyone gaining access from quests to get new gear.

Completely agree, sure there were plenty of quests, but anyone who claims the game was quest-centric like WoW/Lotro/Rift must've been playing an entirely different game. The majority of most players time was spent out exp'ing/camping/dungeon crawling, not following a set path of quest hubs.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Originally posted by someforumguy

Everquest doesnt need a license from LucasArts.

We have a winner!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by someforumguy

Everquest doesnt need a license from LucasArts.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Completely agree, sure there were plenty of quests, but anyone who claims the game was quest-centric like WoW/Lotro/Rift must've been playing an entirely different game. The majority of most players time was spent out exp'ing/camping/dungeon crawling, not following a set path of quest hubs.

Except I never said EQ was anything like WoW/LOTRO/Rift. I said that quests were at the heart of EverQuest, which is true. There was lore by the boatload in the original EQ. There were quests to be found and done and which expanded the game world for the player.

I know what the original EQ was like. I was there. Played  it from launch to Ykesha. I still remember the experiences I had. Hell, I still have all my tabbed and annotated notebooks with maps for every zone in the game at the time, quest givers, and quest lines that I got from various sites back then. Yeah, I did the camps and dungeons that other people did. I also had a duo partner and we went through doing quests and exploring the world.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Yeandra

Originally posted by Vynt

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Ceridith

EQ was never hit with an "NGE", and in part because of that, there are still many people happily playing EQ, paying subs, and buying expansions.
    EQ didnt get hit by New Game Enhancement (NGE), because IT WAS ALREADY A THEMEPARK MMO.
    sorry to tell you people that. But Everquest pave the current generation of Themepark mmo, not WOW.

SWG isnt even a Sandbox mmo. Its a Sandbox/Themepark Hybrid. Again my point, Everquest pave the way for Themepark mmo.
    WoW is just one of Everquest's many kids

EQ never really felt like a themepark to me, still doesn't. It is probably because it isn't quest based like WoW and the rest of the games these days. 

I played EQ for many many years and there wasn't much questing going on that i recall. Our server use to joke about that and the name. Yes, there were some everyone did but I wouldn't called it quest based. More like camp based.

We must have been playing different versions of EQ. I played from launch all the way through Ykesha and I always had quests going. Sure, I'd camp somehwere to grind out XP, but there was plenty to do in terms of quest lines and advancing some of the in-game stories.

you can play EQ entirely without doing any quests, it is not a quest based game just because there are quests in the game.

that is like saying EQ was a pvp based game because there was some pvp in the game.

wow is a quest driven game, EQ is not.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Because EQ is Sony's baby.

Because they may well wish to continue the franchise in the future so scaling out a game now would be a  bad idea.

Because it probably has more players and makes more money than SWG.

Because there is more than one party concerned with the Star Wars license.

Because EQ isn't the laughing stock of the industry, SWG is.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by labryinth

Considering Everquest came out before SWG, and for the fact that WoW is basically Everquest but upgraded a lot, how come Everquest isn't gone yet? Cause, I don't have official numbers, but I'm guessing a lot of WoW's early playerbase was from Everquest, considering WoW is an upgraded version of Everquest.

I mean, do people actually still play it? Just seems a little odd if people do.

I'm willing to bet the SWG license to use StarWars IP has been bleeding cash for a while.  Since Everquest is most likely their own IP, I doubt they're paying royalties to use it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i love the overreacting lucas arts opted to not renew the liscence to sony seriously people learn to read

so say we all

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

If SOE sold/closed all it's games down, and got all their staff together, to work on one game. I wonder what they could make. They are spread out over a lot of stuff. To be relevant what they need is to focus on one game, and make it something kick ass.

If I was SOE I would re-structure my organization, get a name change, a new policy, hire new responsible people, get skilled leaders who get things done, and set out to make a MMORPG that is needed. SOE has a bad past, but they can sway things around. Wear their own weakness like armor, like Tyrion would have said.

But that's easier said that done. I just don't think SOE is in the business of striving for excellence.

Originally posted by Kalfer

But that's easier said that done. I just don't think SOE is in the business of striving for excellence.

They're not. I've talked to people who worked there and have since moved on to other game studios and they describe leaving SOE like being released from prison. 

Originally posted by baphamet

you can play EQ entirely without doing any quests, it is not a quest based game just because there are quests in the game.

that is like saying EQ was a pvp based game because there was some pvp in the game.

wow is a quest driven game, EQ is not.

Then we simply have different definitions of quest-driven. You're looking at quests as a means of progression. I'm not. I'm l looking at quests as a way to expand the game world for the player by giving them lore and context.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

the thing is everquest was fairly popular versus the cost it take to keep it online so i dont see soe clsing this anytime soon.this is one title that will go f2p before it shut down.soe will want to make sure they have an = or better alternative to everquest.and so far everquest2 isnt really doing it.i wouldnt be surprised to see eq2 close before eq1.in the end it is always a mather of cost vs money going in.and i bet on that front eq1 made them ton of maney and probably still is making decent return (remember it doesnt cost a lot to operate eq1,so it is a lot easier to make money.

• ResiaResia Member Posts: 119

I don't think quest driven means that the quests are obvious. I think a quest driven game can only be called that if that is how the playerbase actually played. I didn't see that at all. Not when i was a causal player for the first couple years and not as a raider the last few years. Everquest was never about quests for anyone I know.

If someone was to ask me, I would say of all the games i played Everquest was and still is the least "quest-driven" mmo I have played to date. That is not talking about straight progression or leveling. There was plenty of lore to be found, in and outside of actual quests. I am not even talking about quality of quests (there are many games i felt were very quest-based but they were crappy quests).

Maybe it was my server, my guilds, my friends....who knows. Questing was not part of our MMO experience for this game. Since your experience and mine were so different, probably just a mixed bag based on who yuo ask.

"Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better." parrotpholk

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Considering Everquest came out before SWG, and for the fact that WoW is basically Everquest but upgraded a lot, how come Everquest isn't gone yet? Cause, I don't have official numbers, but I'm guessing a lot of WoW's early playerbase was from Everquest, considering WoW is an upgraded version of Everquest.

Everquest 1 is one of SOE's highest subscribed games in their lineup.  Just hop in and see for yourself, everybody who has had EQ1 subscription before should have their account enabled due to 45-days of free play.  There is something about it, something that draws people back even after years of being gone.  I took a 5 year break from EQ1 and have just gone back within the last 2 years to checkout the newer expansions (which are very good) and the new timelocked progression servers.

Aside from having plenty of subscribers and 14 servers, SOE have said the marketplace/LoN have really helped keep the game going.  Yes the RMT that we all dread and hated, now seen in just about all games or all upcoming games, it just ended up being part of the reasons EQ1 is still going strong.  So combining them all, it's why EQ1 is still going, still staffed with a good sized development team, still getting 1 expansion a year, and yes it's going to have its 18th expansion later this year.

About only thing that can hurt EQ1 in a big way is going to be Everquest Next, the upcoming game that SOE have said to be making.  We should hear more about EQNext during SOE fan faire that's coming up.

Edit:  And with regards to SWG, it's shutting down because of licensing.  Lucas Arts don't want to have 2 games of "star wars" competing against each other.  SWG is shutting down so SW:TOR can launch next year.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• BuzWeaverBuzWeaver Member UncommonPosts: 978

Short answer: EQ still makes money. SWG doesn't.
    Longer answer: EQ still makes money and has a loyal player base. SWG doesn't make money, is facing the threat of SWTOR on the horizon, and there's no point of keeping SWG around anymore.

Correct, plus EQ is easily maintained and very good profit margins for the amount of time they need to keep it running.

And in addition to what you two guys are saying, its a game that people more often return to. We saw that with the first Progression Server and more returns with Fippy. EQ has a great fan base and SOE can count on a steady stream of dedicated subscribers.

The Old Timers Guild
    Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!

www.oldtimersguild.com
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. - Jef Mallett

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

Originally posted by BuzWeaver

Short answer: EQ still makes money. SWG doesn't.

Longer answer: EQ still makes money and has a loyal player base. SWG doesn't make money, is facing the threat of SWTOR on the horizon, and there's no point of keeping SWG around anymore.

Correct, plus EQ is easily maintained and very good profit margins for the amount of time they need to keep it running.

And in addition to what you two guys are saying, its a game that people more often return to. We saw that with the first Progression Server and more returns with Fippy. EQ has a great fan base and SOE can count on a steady stream of dedicated subscribers.

I re-sub a few months each year, just to revisit my first MMO.  Im sure Im not the only one.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Very simple reason. SWG requires a license to operate becuase the IP is owned by someone else, SOE was not able to get LA to renew it. EQ has no such problem. 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Mainly because EQ still has quite a few people playing it.

• Markn1Markn1 Member Posts: 40

Any idiot who thinks EQ is was or every has been quest based is a troll ignore them they obviously havent played EQ.  Themepark is linear EQ never has been Linear every race starts in a different city and not every race can play every class.  Quest based XP in EQ a joke it always was and still is the main way to play eq is kill mobs unlike these theme park quest based MMOs.   If you really think EQ is a theme park MMO or the one that started these stupid theme park games you're a troll.

On the topic of why is EQ still around ?  Every server is still healthy and packed, but like EQ 2 its high end population 80-90 and little if nothing 1-70.   Id bet EQ has more people playing than EQ2.   Oh and station access SOE will keep games around just to keep it on that to make it sound like a great deal (which it is if you pay yearly its 14.99 a month and you can play any SOE game)  no other company can offer that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by neobamboom

Please continue working on Vanguard!!! I need a real PvE game to play!

From what I understand, no one is working on Vanguard. There's only one person even assigned to it anymore, and all he does is fix things if something drastic goes wrong and periodically reset the servers when the hamsters need a break.

VG got abandoned ages ago. They'll keep it going as long as there are enough subs to pay the bills, but as soon as there aren't, it will be shut down as well.

That's true though apparenlty Sony has plans to deliver two updates to the game this year. So it's getting some love.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

3 big reasons;

EQ still brings in cash, it is their flagship title, and SWG had a hefty licencing fee (to Lucas Arts) attached to it.

The biggest reason of the 3 is probably the licencing fee; which I doubt SWG was even maintaining.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Most of WoW player base are kids that never played an mmo before followed by people that never played a videogame before followed by people that never used a computer before and actually think WoW is original and also thought that most internet terms like "lol" were from WoW. Most Everquest players knew better.

Also this is a silly question. Everquest and WoW are not the same as far as story and lore. But both Star Wars games are. It sucks its going away but that doesnt mean other games have to.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by jinxxed0

Most of WoW player base are kids that never played an mmo before followed by people that never played a videogame before followed by people that never used a computer before and actually think WoW is original and also thought that most internet terms like "lol" were from WoW. Most Everquest players knew better.

Also this is a silly question. Everquest and WoW are not the same as far as story and lore. But both Star Wars games are. It sucks its going away but that doesnt mean other games have to.

Most of EQs playerbase were originally kids..... and now are umm mutant nerd things?

Seriously though it is quite humorous that people try to talk down about players playing another video game.   Yes you are an adult because you play a "harder" (and that deserves quotes) game. 

Keep dreaming.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

WoW is more quest that EQ was. EQ was about mindlessly killing the same mobs the same way (almost always kiting) ad naseum until you leveled. Then you did the same thing in another zone with another mob based on a slightly changed graphic of the mob you just killed.

EQ took little to no thought and just took forever to level, it wasn't any harder and a whole lot less fun.

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• Originally posted by sebbonx

WoW is more quest that EQ was. EQ was about mindlessly killing the same mobs the same way (almost always kiting) ad naseum until you leveled. Then you did the same thing in another zone with another mob based on a slightly changed graphic of the mob you just killed.

EQ took little to no thought and just took forever to level, it wasn't any harder and a whole lot less fun.

You must have grown up in WoW then tried EQ. Just because you're running around without seeing exclamation points and question marks above people's heads doesn't mean there are no quests. The naseating game play you are referring to is of one that grinds to max level not experiencing the game as a whole, which has poisoned MMOs since the release of WoW. If you take the time to become known throughout a community on a game, most fin that fun, after all it IS a MASSIVELY MULTI player game not a MASSIVE world with a lot of people playing solo. Now for the OP's question, EQ is very active from what  I've seen in the last few days on the Fippy server thats why it is still around. I never did try SWG, nothing against it...I just like a fantasy setting for mmos.