Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 things about this game...

ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

1) it is not an MMO any more than CoD is a MMO. It really has no business being on this site.

and

2) This game is a blast and if your out there looking for something to try out, I highly recommend WoT. Especially, since it is free to play.

Comments

• comicazecomicaze Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Consequence

1) it is not an MMO any more than CoD is a MMO. It really has no business being on this site.

With additon of the Clan Wars, it's kind of MMO :)

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by comicaze

with 15 players per side in a single, every CW doesn't make it an MMO

It makes is Risk with real time battle

Originally posted by lornphoenix

with 15 players per side in a single, every CW doesn't make it an MMO

It makes is Risk with real time battle

So instanced dungeon games are not MMOs anymore?

If they have a open world map to interact with other players, yes they are. WoW, Rift, amd WAR all fall in line with this.

Games that don't then no. Guild Wars is a good expamle, no open world map, just channels hub zone the act more like lobbies.

If they have a open world map to interact with other players, yes they are. WoW, Rift, amd WAR all fall in line with this.

Games that don't then no. Guild Wars is a good expamle, no open world map, just channels hub zone the act more like lobbies.

Guild Wars and Global Agenda are still on this site, aren't they?

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

I think any game thats multiplayer only with persistant world/ stats belongs on this site..  The owners of mmorpg.com would be hurting themselves by limiting the site to "Classic RPG" only games..

Guild Wars shouldn't be listed here.

Global Adgenda is boderline

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Global Agenda has a persistent world and a progressing storyline. Not nearly the depth people have come to expect from traditional mmorpg, but it exists. There is even an open world; though there is nothing to do past level 17. Global Agenda isn't borderline at all.

WoT is massive, it's multiplayer, it's online and you can role play a tank commander. The role playing requires far more imagination than most games, but you can do it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

I guess the borderline has just moved a little bit.

Originally posted by lizardbones

WoT is massive, it's multiplayer, it's online and you can role play a tank commander. The role playing requires far more imagination than most games, but you can do it.

With that logic then every game with a matchmaking feature would be an MMO, pc and console alike.

Halo, COD, StarCraft 2... etc would all be mmos then.

Originally posted by lizardbones

With that logic then every game with a matchmaking feature would be an MMO, pc and console alike.

Halo, COD, StarCraft 2... etc would all be mmos then.

character progression and persistent world

• ColdskinColdskin Member Posts: 22

umm....i think ur tank leveling  is just like leveling up in WOW and other mmorpgs . And 15 on 15 's fight make this game become a mmorpg, u need to talk with ur teammates .

I was thinking about this... their a couple different types of MMOs, but it's like this to be called a MMO you have to be able to play with large number on players at one time. Wether or not you do doesn't matter.

In WoT you are only playing with 29 other people... that is not massive. When you can do 40 on 40 then I'll call it an MMO.

Now something like MAG on the PS3 is a MMOFPS with it's 256 players, tho too low show up on this site with it 500 player limit.

That is kinda the loophole WoT is basically getting thru on.

Yea the Server can have more then 500 players, but it is spilt in into many 30 player battles.

This kinda thing shouldn't be call at MMO.

On the leveling and Persistent worlds.

A lot of games have leveling in them. Pretty much all the online shooters have some kinda of leveling now.

Persistent basically just means always there.... you can make that take a very board meaning.

Persistent world can mean different thing to different people.

For me when I say persistant world, I'm refer the world where everyone can interact with everyone else, if they are a around.

The be an MMO you don't need a Persistent world just a large number on players (I say over 64 = MMO).

However to for a MMORPG to be a true MMORPG you need the main area be the Persistent world, but you can have instanced, non persistance areas too. Guild Wars Lacks this and that is why I call in a psuedo-mmorpg.

When you can do 40 on 40 then I'll call it an MMO.

be my guest

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

I've been playing WoT since beta it's NOT an MMO in any way whatsoever,

It's no more of an MMO than CoD or Company of Heros,

It was quoted by a mmorpg.com member of staff in a post that it would be declasified...

...that was last year ...what a joke

The games an FPS but in tanks plain & simple, oh & as for clan wars making it more of an mmo

thats a load of nonsense too, people really need to learn the definition of an mmo on this site.

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

Originally posted by ukforze

I've been playing WoT since beta it's NOT an MMO in any way whatsoever,

It's no more of an MMO than CoD or Company of Heros,

It was quoted by a mmorpg.com member of staff in a post that it would be declasified...

...that was last year ...what a joke

The games an FPS but in tanks plain & simple, oh & as for clan wars making it more of an mmo

thats a load of nonsense too, people really need to learn the definition of an mmo on this site.

I'm curious. - Is there an official and definitive definition of what an MMO is?

• ukforzeukforze Member Posts: 331

Well let's give it a go hey...

'MM' is for Massively multiplayer (this means more than 20 players in a pre loaded map)

an interactive world would help too, not just a (very) basic lobby chat.

Amost all games are multiplayer does not make them MMO's

'O' is for Online which most games can be played, does not make them MMO's

'RPG' is for Role Playing Game in some way you can say "i have a role, im a scout" etc but

it's not the true definition of a role playing game, examples are... UO, EQ, VG, LOTRO, D&D etc

Just because you can 'level up' tanks, you can do this sort of thing in CoD & other FPS

games, does that make them MMO's?

A lot of FPS games have 32-64 player maps, (3 times more than WOT maps) does that

make them MMO's?

EA are releasing a version of Battlefield called 'Battlefield play for free' with a cash shop,

but they dont label it as an mmo, do you class this as an MMO?

An mmo is either a sandbox open world or themepark world, be it instanced or not, a landscape

you can alter or interact with, to explore, quest, PVP & more, to be part of a something not just a

temporary team in a 10 minute battle.

Just because this game tanks you can level & a cash shop the dev's branded it an MMO,

that does not make it one, even MMORPG.COM agreed it i no way was an MMO.

I think it's a joke that games like this be considered anything other than...

'a multiplayer game'

Here is the original post by Bill....

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/544/feature/4478

Quote...

*Editor’s Note: As a result of Bill’s assessment, we will likely be removing the game from our list within the next few days.

Article By: William Murphy

Created On: August 19, 2010 

The Deathstar destroyed planets...Lucas Arts destroyed Galaxies

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Played:
    SWG | EVE | WOW | VG | LOTRO | WAR | FML | STO | APB | AOC | MORTAL | WOT | BP | SW:TOR

Originally posted by Fargol

I'm curious. - Is there an official and definitive definition of what an MMO is?

unfortunately no there isn't

I still say to be a MMO (not MMORPG) you need to have more then 64 players in the game to classify.

MMORPG.com says to be listed on the site a server must hold 500 players at least.

WoT should have been removed, however it probably wasn't wroth the effort... they can be lazy about this kinda stuff around here.

Originally posted by Fargol

unfortunately no there isn't

I still say to be a MMO (not MMORPG) you need to have more then 64 players in the game to classify.

MMORPG.com says to be listed on the site a server must hold 500 players at least.

WoT should have been removed, however it probably wasn't wroth the effort... they can be lazy about this kinda stuff around here.

Looks like a witch hunt to me.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Most MMOs can hardly be considered MMOs by most standards.

World of tanks is fun.

• Cirn0Cirn0 Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by minermarc666
    No it's not!!!

QFT!

IZI MODO?! Ha-ha-ha!