Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer problems

timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

Alright well i got this computer in the begingin of the year when sandy bridge first came out....well at first this computer was pretty epic and stuff was a lot better than my friends when it came to loading games up. but recently every game i play takes forever to load....like for example world of warcraft it used to take a second but now it takes 2-3 minutes just to load a char or after a BG thing just sits there. Then i just swapped video cards from my friend which his was a Radeon 5850 black edition and mine was a Nvidia geforce 460 gtx......which i did research and the radeon was better. But now my computers been acting 100% more slower than ever i get huge lag spikes on max which i never had before and takes 5-6 mins just to load one map on World of warcraft. Can someone help me ? 

Comments

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Is it just WoW that is taking a while to load or every game?  Also, Is it only games that are taking a while to load?  How about performing other tasks, or booting up?  Do you ever get any errors or blue screens?  Could be hard drive or memory related, but a problem with either of those would probably be effecting more things than just games.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Defrag?

Failing hard drive?

• timmy12timmy12 Member UncommonPosts: 390

Originally posted by Worstluck

Is it just WoW that is taking a while to load or every game?  Also, Is it only games that are taking a while to load?  How about performing other tasks, or booting up?  Do you ever get any errors or blue screens?  Could be hard drive or memory related, but a problem with either of those would probably be effecting more things than just games.

well idk its just been WoW cuz thats all i play and i just been noticing it and it just got worse today when i swapped cards and i even get lag spikes....but no booting up takes a second, tho i do some times get a error saying my overclocking failed even tho i dont overclock my proccessor. 

• Billybob2006Billybob2006 Member Posts: 47

One thiung that really stands out is that you said you got sandy bridge when it first came out.  If I remember correctly, the first batch of mobos for sandy bridge were recalled due to some error. 

Originally posted by Billybob2006

One thiung that really stands out is that you said you got sandy bridge when it first came out.  If I remember correctly, the first batch of mobos for sandy bridge were recalled due to some error. 

ya i resent it back got the new one. 

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Ok well if this is just a WoW thing, I hat to say this, but you could try the dreaded delete of the WTF, WDB and Interface folders.  Make sure you back them up first.  If you have windows 7, I think the cache data might be in another place.  This used to fix problems for me with the game.

Looks like in win7 the cache data may be at:

C:UsersYOUR NAMEAppDataLocalVirtualStoreProgram FilesWorld Of Warcraft

Don't quote me on that though, I have not played WoW since I was using Xp, I just looked that up on google.

So try deleting the cache data, it'll get replaced, but the game should load faster.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

This may sound funny, but I ran into something similiar years ago when I swapped cards from one brand to another. Before removing the Nvidia 460, did you uninstall all traces of the nvidia first? (Driver and Nvidia PhysX System Software) It could be conflicting. If not I would suggest doing it now and then restart. After restart, make sure you have the latest graphic drivers from AMD.com. If you are using the AMD driver that Windows had in place it may be to old and not optimizing the graphics memory correctly. Not sure if that helps, put worth a shot if you havent already done so. 

Originally posted by Falcomith

This may sound funny, but I ran into something similiar years ago when I swapped cards from one brand to another. Before removing the Nvidia 460, did you uninstall all traces of the nvidia first? (Driver and Nvidia PhysX System Software) It could be conflicting. If not I would suggest doing it now and then restart. After restart, make sure you have the latest graphic drivers from AMD.com. If you are using the AMD driver that Windows had in place it may be to old and not optimizing the graphics memory correctly. Not sure if that helps, put worth a shot if you havent already done so. 

ya....i didnt do that lol i hope thats the problem....but what should i all remove? like i think i have some nvidia motherboard drivers or something idk how to remove the old video card drivers...

Originally posted by timmy12

ya....i didnt do that lol i hope thats the problem....but what should i all remove? like i think i have some nvidia motherboard drivers or something idk how to remove the old video card drivers...

Go to add or remove programs in control panel if you are using win xp. For win 7 in control panel its Programs and Features.

Look for Nvidia Graphics Driver 275.33. It might have a different number if you were using an older driver. Uninstall that. Then uninstall Nvidia PhysX System Software. That should be all that needs to be removed.

Edit: If it doesnt restart on its own, manually restart just to be safe.

Go to add or remove programs in control panel if you are using win xp. For win 7 in control panel its Programs and Features.

Look for Nvidia Graphics Driver 275.33. It might have a different number if you were using an older driver. Uninstall that. Then uninstall Nvidia PhysX System Software. That should be all that needs to be removed.

should i reinstall my ATI video drivers then? idk if i even downloaded the right drivers they are confusing lol for ati 

should i reinstall my ATI video drivers then? idk if i even downloaded the right drivers they are confusing lol for ati 

It cant hurt to reinstall. And here is the link to make sure you grab the right one. http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail

Just select your operating system from drop down box and click view results.

• RuanRuan Member Posts: 22

You need to use Driver Sweeper, use it in safe mode . Make sure you have removed all the older drivers ( nvidia and ATX). Then install a new driver.

Does this happen on every program? Or just WOW?

Here is a link for Driver Sweeper .  http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Originally posted by Ruan

You need to use Driver Sweeper, use it in safe mode . Make sure you have removed all the older drivers ( nvidia and ATX). Then install a new driver.

they have no more download links for drive sweeper there site says and idk i only play wow and WoW takes forever to load whcih it never used to do

they have no more download links for drive sweeper there site says and idk i only play wow and WoW takes forever to load whcih it never used to do

Edit:Whoops. You are right. Discontinued the program.

Slow loading may be a result of a bad memory stick. I would try removing one at a time , unless they are paired. Then reboot and see if windows loads faster. Does the game or your computer run slower the longer it is on / running ?

Slow loading may be a result of a bad memory stick. I would try removing one at a time , unless they are paired. Then reboot and see if windows loads faster. Does the game or your computer run slower the longer it is on / running ?

its the game i think idk the computer runs like it normally does maybe crashses sometimes but thats really it. The game just takes way longer than it used to 

EDIT: im playing along side my friend and his loads 100x faster than mine and my computers better than his 

OK Try deleting the WTF file , disable any add-ons and run the repair tool.

Also I would look in the event viewer in windows and see if you have any error codes.

Path =  start / control panel / administrative tools / event viewer / custom views / administrative events.

google the codes you find.

I did a google search on the card and World of warcraft. Some state that they load into the game and get a blank screen, others saying there frames per second took a hit after switching to the card. One stated the same problem as you, but this time it was with StarCraft 2. I have not found any solutions in the posts I found. It would seem its a problem with the card and/or the current drivers for them. Hopefully they will have a new driver version soon for you to try.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch from the 460? I am running that currently and running everything on high to ultra settings. Absolutely love the card.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It looks like Driver Sweeper itself isn't discontinued, but Guru 3D simply doesn't host it anymore.

It still sounds to me like it might be a video driver problem.

If your hard drive is nearly full and badly fragmented, then that could make things load very slowly.  That's easy enough to fix, though.

You might have something messed up and need to reinstall the game, if WoW is the only thing giving you any problems.

I did a google search on the card and World of warcraft. Some state that they load into the game and get a blank screen, others saying there frames per second took a hit after switching to the card. One stated the same problem as you, but this time it was with StarCraft 2. I have not found any solutions in the posts I found. It would seem its a problem with the card and/or the current drivers for them. Hopefully they will have a new driver version soon for you to try.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch from the 460? I am running that currently and running everything on high to ultra settings. Absolutely love the card.

Well alright my friend was selling his pc and he knew i wanted his card way before i bought my 460 and ive known that the 5850 was better so he said you can swap it for free.....so i did cuz that was a pretty good deal but im sad that im getting this 

EDIT: ill test out other games but really the loading problem even happend with the 460 

Well alright my friend was selling his pc and he knew i wanted his card way before i bought my 460 and ive known that the 5850 was better so he said you can swap it for free.....so i did cuz that was a pretty good deal but im sad that im getting this 

Ah. Well maybe things will work out with one of the driver updates which maybe for some time as they just released AMDs latest on June 15th. That would be version 11.6 for you card if you want to check your version. Good luck.

Ah. Well maybe things will work out with one of the driver updates which maybe for some time as they just released AMDs latest on June 15th. That would be version 11.6 for you card if you want to check your version. Good luck.

well i did remove the nvidia drivers and everything in the game lag wise isnt happening about the loading i still have to kinda fix it 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Driver Sweeper has officially moved to Phyxion.net (the authors).

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html