Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best hack n slash ARPG option until Diablo 3? Titan Quest Immortal Throne with Underlord 1.52 mod

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Titan Quest Immortal Throne (TQIT) with the fan made Underlord Mod version 1.52. Most of us can crank up the settings on this 2007 game by now. Playing it at 1920 x 1080 and supports crossfire - my crossfire logo shows up in the upper left corner in game. Still looks good after 4 years. Watch for a sale on Steam. I went ahead and paid the full $20 the other day and I'm getting more play time and enjoyment than I have in any recent month of mmo gaming. Basically, Underlord raises the level cap from 50 to 85 and raises the maximum skill level from 32 to 40. It also overhauls every skill in every mastery allowing for more viable builds. No more useless, one point wonder or overpowered skills. Don't think it makes the game easy though as the difficulty is ramped up via a tripling of the amount of monsters you face. Mod comes bundled with other popular mods including the fan made bug patch which slays just about every bug the game ever had. Check out the Underlord mod and all the enhancements it gives the game here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/underlord

Played other hack n slash (Diablo style) ARPGs but not Titan Quest? Let me tell you why I like it better than any others in the genre. I actually like and enjoyed most of the games I'm about to list, I just want to explain briefly why I feel TQIT is superior.

Diablo 2 - TQIT obviously has much better graphics due to its more recent release. There are also more quests. Sweet physics in TQIT too.

Torchlight - In comparison to TQIT, Torchlight has cartoony graphics. Also, TQIT has a huge full world to explore. Yes it's linear but it beats just descending from one dungeon level to the next in Torchlight.

Dungeon Siege 3 - Though I've only played the PC demo of DS3, I can assure you that character control in TQIT is way better resulting in more fluid combat. Also, the graphics hold up real nice to this brand new release.

Mythos - Put Mythos on the highest graphics setting and the textures look like crap whether you're zoomed in or out. TQIT also has better physics and a more cohesive world.

There are others but I just wanted to compare it to some of the major titles in the genre. If you've never played TQIT or haven't played it in a while, you owe it to yourself to try it with the Underlord mod. IMO it's the best thing until Diablo 3 hits.

Oh and FYI the Underlord mod is only compatible with the retail disc and Steam versions of TQIT. Doesn't play nice with the Direct2Drive version.

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Eh, I personally prefer Throne of Darkness despite its crappy resolution.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Methos12

Eh, I personally prefer Throne of Darkness despite its crappy resolution.

Yeah we all like our old favorites. Diablo 2 is one of mine but I just can't do the crappy graphics any more.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Playing Titan Quest at moment and i love it again after not play it for last 3 years its still a great hack and slash game.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

You can play some Titan Quest at onlive.com, it wont have "mods" but you might wanna check it out. =) The Arena is too cool!

It does cost monthly for that particular game tho, its $10 a month for over 60 games right now, always growing. Free to try tho.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42

Sacred 2 fallen angel with Ice and blood expansion

free multiplayer

huge open world. no linear or random generated dungeons

great graphics

great customization

great community

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Tqit is up there with Diablo 2 for me. I got the gold version from a steam sale last year for £10 to replace my box set that was "Borowed" by an ex gf and never given back....It happens right?:)  Anyway, had no idear about this mod. Nice one O.P will give it a look, especially if it is steam compatible.:)

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Originally posted by Rulero

Sacred 2 fallen angel with Ice and blood expansion

free multiplayer

huge open world. no linear or random generated dungeons

great graphics

great customization

great community

That looks really damn cool, thanks.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42

no problem

it has so much replayability and is so underrated but its a fantastic game.

the level cap is also 200 and the skill system is not so cookie cutter but totally free :)

good luck with it.

if you run windows 7 and you get problems running it. 

pm me. i can help you out

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

Allright. Made me find my old discs and install and am downloading the mod. Actually looking forward to this, TQ was for me still the best ARPG since Diablo II.

Edit: Update. Played through to the centaur boss, and it's very good infact. I needed to restart since you'll need some kind of AoE to make decent progress. Took storm first, with coldskills to defend me as I went dualwield in Warfare. Had to restart to take a lightning AoE attack instead of a coldspike, works very well.