Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Skies

WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Tonight on TNT 9 est.  http://www.tnt.tv/series/fallingskies/

We can talk about the 2 hour Premiere here.. I'll see you in 2 hours.

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

I was soo hyped to watch it, then after watching it last night it kinda became obvious it wasn't as good as it was let to believe. The show seems to be slow and the ideas and the way they played the characters doesn't make sense. In the event of an Alien Invasion do we really want children being the mercenaries, shooting carrying weapons and fighting. What is up with the young people being played as the elite fighter type?

The show to me seems like a flop in my eyes, a teen might of liked it since they can relate, a young hero fighting and two girls liking the same teen kid fighting for his affection. To me the show seems like garbage, I wish it was more in line with a more realistic approach, then again reality is skewed if ALIENS ever attacked us. Steven Spielberg probably didn't write all this, if he had it should of been a hell of a lot better.

Originally posted by DMKano

Falling Skies utterly sucked - because it is so unforegivably moronic.

Example - a large group of people are out and about in *broad daylight* a couple of miles from where the aliens are, with alien ships flying above their heads, yet these hostile and far superior aliens don't notice them??

Huh?

The most rudimentary ot all mistakes - you can't portray a highly advanced evil alien race that invades Earth and  yet they are at the same time so dumb that they can't see masses of people out and about right by them? 

0/10

OMG yes I kept asking myself that when I was watching, why are they walking out in daylight with aliens all over, plus why are alien robots using lights, wouldn't they have night vision and other sensory abilities to detect things alive and moving, but they require light to see?

So many strange things you got to ask yourself, then again it doesn't seem to be made for the adults more less a teen movie series.

• KaalBlightKaalBlight Member UncommonPosts: 10

Falling Skies utterly sucked - because it is so unforegivably moronic.

Example - a large group of people are out and about in *broad daylight* a couple of miles from where the aliens are, with alien ships flying above their heads, yet these hostile and far superior aliens don't notice them??

Huh?

The most rudimentary of all mistakes - you can't portray a highly advanced evil alien race that invades Earth and  yet they are at the same time so dumb that they can't see masses of people out and about right by them? 

0/10

I guess you missed scene where one of the commanders mentioned that the aliens were looking for groups of 500+ so thats why they broke up in groups of 300.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I thought it was pretty good, I say give it some time to ramp up, it also helps that this is on TnT and not Fox, CBS or any of the other major networks because those networks damand peek ratings, this show might have a nich following like the Stargate series and be around for a while because it's on TnT, if Stargate even Battlestar Galactica was on one of the major networks they would of canceled it mid season but sense it was on Syfy or what ever network it had a good 5-10 years of story, I hope the same might hold true for Fallen Skies due to it being played on TnT.

I would love to see the story unfold this could be a sleeper hit.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Originally posted by KaalBlight

I guess you missed scene where one of the commanders mentioned that the aliens were looking for groups of 500+ so thats why they broke up in groups of 300.

Ok so assume you are one of the invading aliens - you see a group of 300 humans right in front of you in broad daylight - you are going to *ignore* them because  #<500? Why would a species of superior intelligence be outsmarted by such stupid tactics?

We still are not clear as to what the Aliens want from Earth, might not be total genocide. 

That's where these alien invasion shows fall apart - any alien species that is capable of getting to Earth, would be FAR beyond any of our capabilites, and superior intelligence always wins.

I agree there, but like I said they might be after somthing else, and taking out all life might be a waste of resourcess for them, they might of just needed to cripple Earth so they can get or do what they came for.

There would be no "war", everything would be determined by their intentions, if they are friendly we live, if not - we'd be dead before we even knew they were here.

We didn,t kill off all the American Indians, we took out as many as we needed to get the job done, the same might hold true in this case.

Originally posted by Warjin

Originally posted by KaalBlight

Ok so assume you are one of the invading aliens - you see a group of 300 humans right in front of you in broad daylight - you are going to *ignore* them because  #<500? Why would a species of superior intelligence be outsmarted by such stupid tactics?

We still are not clear as to what the Aliens want from Earth, might not be total genocide. 

90% wiped out population from what they said. It makes no sense they wouldn't kill 300 people walking because it didn't add up to 500. If they can precisely see that many in a pack by scanning then why is it hard for them to detect individual humans nearby when the Robots and Skitters are looking for them in a few scenes.

That's where these alien invasion shows fall apart - any alien species that is capable of getting to Earth, would be FAR beyond any of our capabilites, and superior intelligence always wins.

I agree there, but like I said they might be after somthing else, and taking out all life might be a waste of resourcess for them, they might of just needed to cripple Earth so they can get or do what they came for.

They did say 90% of the earths population was wiped out. So according to that then it can't be anything else but domination of the planet.

There would be no "war", everything would be determined by their intentions, if they are friendly we live, if not - we'd be dead before we even knew they were here.

We didn,t kill off all the American Indians, we took out as many as we needed to get the job done, the same might hold true in this case.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Wow, I'm very suprised by the reaction here. It was because of this thread that I had left the pilot untouched on my DVR until last night when I decided to just go ahead and watch it because I needed some room. I really enjoyed the show much more than I thought I would. Sure it isn't on the same level as something like The Walking Dead, but I found the characters, story, and the action to be right up there with a major motion picture. My only real beef would probably be his tendency to start spouting historical examples and such, but it can be shrugged off if they tone it down after these first two episodes.

As for the movement during the day, I expect they'll better explain things, but sometimes you just have to go with it to enjoy it. Maybe killing absolutely all humans just isn't such a priority, or maybe movement during the day works better considering the heat of the sun better masks their own body heat(which they stated was the main way the ships could detect them).

I'm not saying it's the greatest thing on TV, but for someone who really likes Post-Apocalyptic fiction, it ranks up there with some of the best I've seen. I really liked Jericho, but this one already seems well above that in quality of writing and production value.

• ScrimMalteseScrimMaltese Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by bezado

Steven Spielberg probably didn't write all this, if he had it should of been a hell of a lot better.

They do things like that alot. Like take the movie 9. I went to the theaters and saw it, came out thinking it was the worst Tim Burton Movie since Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, only to find out later that he played a very small role in it's production, and was more of a minor consultant than anything really important to the movie. But they tacked his name ALLLLL over it. 

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

I thought it was pretty good, I say give it some time to ramp up, it also helps that this is on TnT and not Fox, CBS or any of the other major networks because those networks damand peek ratings, this show might have a nich following like the Stargate series and be around for a while because it's on TnT, if Stargate even Battlestar Galactica was on one of the major networks they would of canceled it mid season but sense it was on Syfy or what ever network it had a good 5-10 years of story, I hope the same might hold true for Fallen Skies due to it being played on TnT.

That was when syfy was actually Scifi.  Where they actually dealt with science fiction and  were far more oriented to those shows.  Now, the network has been destroyed by wrestling and "reality" TV crap.  All because those get more "ratings" than a lot of the original series (Stargate Universe and Caprica).  So, I equate Scifi as a great TV network.  I equate Syfy as a rampant pile of shit. 

Of course, Syfy still has their extremely low budget and mostly craptastic "original" movies on the weekends.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Vato26

That was when syfy was actually Scifi.  Where they actually dealt with science fiction and  were far more oriented to those shows.  Now, the network has been destroyed by wrestling and "reality" TV crap.  All because those get more "ratings" than a lot of the original series (Stargate Universe and Caprica).  So, I equate Scifi as a great TV network.  I equate Syfy as a rampant pile of shit. 

Of course, Syfy still has their extremely low budget and mostly craptastic "original" movies on the weekends.

I agree. I cannot express in words how much I utterly despise SyFy. I loved SG-1, but yeah, it was understandable - time to go. Atlantis and Universe were great, as was Caprica - especially the season finale. But fucking "wrastling" on a network built on Sci-Fi? Fuck, you just opened a floodgate of repressed anger at these bastards. I hate SyFy! I better go watch something frakking good to calm me down.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Dekron

Originally posted by Vato26

I agree. I cannot express in words how much I utterly despise SyFy. I loved SG-1, but yeah, it was understandable - time to go. Atlantis and Universe were great, as was Caprica - especially the season finale. But fucking "wrastling" on a network built on Sci-Fi? Fuck, you just opened a floodgate of repressed anger at these bastards. I hate SyFy! I better go watch something frakking good to calm me down.

Well, SGU was the last TV series that I watched on a regular basis.  However, I didn't even catch the last half of the second season of it after hearing of Syfy cancelling it.  Thus, despite the rare channel surf or the local news, I don't watch TV anymore.  But, with Syfy, I try to avoid it like a plague.