Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great game but unfortunately unplayable :(

chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

I gave up SWG after a few days. I must admit that I wish I still was playing SWG though.

The inlogging problems just never seem to stop. By all means, I am no computer expert, but it seems if the servers are eother down too much or too often, OR the launcher fails to update the game for me. I have given up. Too bad really, cause I want to play this game. Let me add that I never had such problems in any other MMO I have ever played in 11 years.

Any ideas? Do I really need to reinstall this game to see if that fixes the problems?

/sigh

EDIT; problem FIXED thanks to helpful people in this thread. Read below for tips.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

Comments

• honourswordhonoursword Member UncommonPosts: 82

I, like you have just installed SWG and am a returning vet. I am currently trying out the 14 day free trial. I downloaded the game, installed it and am playing it without any problems. Sorry to hear your having issues but the only thing I can recommend is that you contact their SOE technical support to see if they can assist. Failing that, you may just need to bite the bullet and download a fresh version of the game.

I am on the European servers and I havent had any issues with servers being down or anything (well when I played anyway). In any case I hope your problems get sorted and you get the chance to give the game a fair shot.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Originally posted by honoursword

I, like you have just installed SWG and am a returning vet. I am currently trying out the 14 day free trial. I downloaded the game, installed it and am playing it without any problems. Sorry to hear your having issues but the only thing I can recommend is that you contact their SOE technical support to see if they can assist. Failing that, you may just need to bite the bullet and download a fresh version of the game.

I am on the European servers and I havent had any issues with servers being down or anything (well when I played anyway). In any case I hope your problems get sorted and you get the chance to give the game a fair shot.

I have played it for a few days, then the problems started; unable to connect to server at first. (servers seemed down for maintenance etc), now I have problems updating the game via the launcher. Which means I cannot even get to the login screen as I at least used to do before.

I downloaded the game just before I started to play recently, so I am kinda not interested in wasting time on things like this. We are after all in 2012. I play lots of games, MMO's RPG's and Football Manager; no other game I have any problems at all installing or updating. SWG has been a mess since I tried to install the launcher.

• GonesoloGonesolo City of Heroes CorrespondentMember Posts: 70

I returned to SWG after SOE gave me 45 days free.

I have to say I d/l and logged in without any issues and continue to do so.

In game I keep having issues with stuttering and rubber banding which I'm not sure is my internet connection (which is having issues this week) or server issues.

I have played quite a bit though. In all honesty the new control system is fun, few minor issues which could be addressed. But some of the quests are painful.

Run to point X to do recon then return to quest giver, then return to point X to kill Y of Z then return to quest giver.

ouch.

Still going to do some space stuff this evening, hopefully thats still as fun as I remember.

I removed it all from my PC; uninstalled both game and Sony Launcher. I am back at the start, with same problems I had first time when I downloaded the launcher; nothing happens. I have even downloaded latest adobe & GFX driver.

I am pretty amazed that SOE deliver such bad quality out to the customers. Even though theres few using this forum here, I am sure I am not the only one suffering from this. Well, I am not willing to flame SOW for this, but I am dissapointed that I am not able to install the game as I am very eager to play it.

There is nothing wrong with my spec, W7 64bit, 8g ram, and a decent GFX card. Oh well, I presume the same will happen again; suddenly the installer has done it's "job" with me able to start downloading the game without any notification just like last time... :(

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I started playing about 20 days ago and the server I'm on went down twice, but came back up pretty quick.  No problems at all for me.  I did have the rubberbanding thing happen a few times.  But I solved it by logging out and back in.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

No issues here either, nearly done my 45 days, haven't had a single problem.

Sounds like the issue is on your end OP.

Originally posted by Kost

I agree. But I fail to understand why. Theres no problems with nothing else on my PC. All games are running as intended, only SWG that refuses to install or log in.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by chrisel

Originally posted by Kost

I agree. But I fail to understand why. Theres no problems with nothing else on my PC. All games are running as intended, only SWG that refuses to install or log in.

Did you download this trial client

Did you try Station Launcher?

I take it that all Install OK but you just have problems patching?

You can also try getting help from a SoE Technical Support Representative on the Connection Issues (LaunchPad, Network, Router, Installation) forum.

As you are using a Win 7 machine, have you tried running the launcher as Administrator?

• darthlopezdarthlopez Member Posts: 30

I never had any issues logging into the game using the station launcher or even before I started using it.

I haven't encountered any problems with the status of the servers since returning during the extended FTP, but we probably play on different servers and at different times.  

Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Did you download this trial client

Yes.

Did you try Station Launcher?

I take it that all Install OK but you just have problems patching?

Yes & no. Had trouble installing the launcher at first time too. It suddenly "was there" and game installed. Same did after I uninstalled; would not install the launcher.

However; I tried you link, and it worked. Launcher is now installed and few minutes of patching (even though I DID uninstall game) I was playing SWG again.

Thanks for the help. Most appreciated! :)

You can also try getting help from a SoE Technical Support Representative on the Connection Issues (LaunchPad, Network, Router, Installation) forum.

As you are using a Win 7 machine, have you tried running the launcher as Administrator?

W7, I always install all programs as admin.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

However; I tried you link, and it worked. Launcher is now installed and few minutes of patching (even though I DID uninstall game) I was playing SWG again.

Thanks for the help. Most appreciated! :)

Ahh!  Excellent, glad to have helped.  Enjoy SWG!

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I logged in last Sat and right off the bat I rubberbanded to hell and back several times while traveling, sent a few messages in guildchat and looked at my friends list which was 0 then I logged.