Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Aion Effect (Tera/Archeage)

WhiteCrossWhiteCross Member Posts: 120

Well I bit...and I bit hard.

Aion came out close to 2 yrs ago. I played Beta and bought the Collectors Edition.

Aion was THE game to get.  Boy was I wrong.

I should have known better than to buy an asian game.

GRIND! G R I N D! g R i N d!

Bots! Bots! Bots!

..and PvP was fail

Aion was THE WORST MMO experience I've ever had.

What? They fixed it? It never should have been screwed up in the first place. So what if asians like grinding  hrs one end...I dont. And the bots were everwyere. You would see bots in groups of 3 grinding out levels,. Bots gathering. And all it took was someone to police and clean this up, but nothing. After 30 days population plumeted. I have a total HATE expereience from this asian grinder.

Now we have Tera and Archeage coming. Same experience?...probably.

As much as I'd like to try either of them there is no way i'm jumping in. You can keep your asian gring and botting crap to yourselves!

(just one mans opinion).

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I have found in my life time that generalizations are always wrong, and judging books by their cover is foolish.

Just my two cents.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Archeage is to be westernized.  Its Asian release is earlier than its US release I believe.  Not sure about Tera, but I'm sort of on the same boat as you with that one.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

THe bots have been removed from AIon and they have added more quests and solo instances etc. But yeah the Grind was way to much for me, Could have been a very good MMO. I tryed the pvp but to be honest there was None.

Tera really caught my eye as something different but them little girls with short skirts.... No thanks, Not in a MMO.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Tera has a eastern dev for it's version (It failed hard and went down to 14 servers from 35.... in Asia So far...but it alos has a western dev En Masse to alter the game for the western audience.  Tera is also aim based meaning botting would be hard outside of some class that has aoes.

Arche Age on the other hand, may have bots but on a PvP server with there being open pvp... it should help police it some.

The thing is... and this is my honest point of view, most games don't care. There are so many gold sellers and bots because the games simply do not care... how hard would it be to have your gm staff log into each server multiple times a day and ban/close anyone spamming... it would not be hard, it would be EASY... do they do it? No.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by Laughing-man

I have found in my life time that generalizations are always wrong, and judging books by their cover is foolish.

Just my two cents.

here's an extra cent...when you're in a bookstore the covers are the only thing you have time to look at when picking your book.

huh?   You could always open the book and read the summery or perhaps the first chapter...  I do that all the time before I buy a book.

Originally posted by Robokapp

summary is written on the back cover, sir. :)

besides if you're looking at many books you cant read a chapter out of which. you can, however, if you know exactly what book you want. But then why would you anyway?

Well some summeries are on the inside cover if its a hard back but now I feel this metaphore is becoming more semantics than useful.

My point is that why would you judge something merely by a passing inspection, why not gather a tad bit more information if you are going to form an opinion?  I mean you can see a "book" and its "Title" might immediately make you uninterested but that does not mean that you should immediately assume things about it.  The reverse is also true, why do so many people buy into Hype without inspecting things too? 

I just say we should all inspect things a little more before we judge them. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by WhiteCross

Well I bit...and I bit hard.

Aion came out close to 2 yrs ago. I played Beta and bought the Collectors Edition.

Aion was THE game to get.  Boy was I wrong.

I should have known better than to buy an asian game.

GRIND! G R I N D! g R i N d!

Bots! Bots! Bots!

..and PvP was fail

Aion was THE WORST MMO experience I've ever had.

What? They fixed it? It never should have been screwed up in the first place. So what if asians like grinding  hrs one end...I dont. And the bots were everwyere. You would see bots in groups of 3 grinding out levels,. Bots gathering. And all it took was someone to police and clean this up, but nothing. After 30 days population plumeted. I have a total HATE expereience from this asian grinder.

Now we have Tera and Archeage coming. Same experience?...probably.

As much as I'd like to try either of them there is no way i'm jumping in. You can keep your asian gring and botting crap to yourselves!

(just one mans opinion).

And you are welcome to your opinion.

The bots and gold sellers were, "in my opinion" because of NC's arrogance or possibly incompetance, in that they should have seen there was going to be an onslaught and have systems in place before the game launched.

As for the "GRIND! G R I N D! g R i N d!"?

Please, the grind wasn't bad at all. I see people essentially crying about the grind and I wonder if they have ever really played a game with a true hard grind.

I do see people wanting to zip to level cap in a few weeks or outside a month. Is that really it? One can't zip to lvl cap within no time at all and therefore it's a grind?

Also, people do seem willing to "grind' quests" which to my taste is absolutely tedious.

In any case I hope either Tera or Archeage require players to play more than a month before they hit cap.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74

Tera should be fine, they have En Mass. Which was created by Blue Hole Studios, to specifically focus on "Westernizing" the game. I know that may not sound reasuring, but ive been following it for about 2.5 years now, and as far as I have seen En Mass is very responsive towards the community.

Even if you doubt the games westernization, you should at least try it when the goes into open beta. I got my hands on a korean account and I can tell you that the combat at least is a hell of alot of fun.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

Tera has a eastern dev for it's version (It failed hard and went down to 14 servers from 35.... in Asia So far...but it alos has a western dev En Masse to alter the game for the western audience.  Tera is also aim based meaning botting would be hard outside of some class that has aoes.

Arche Age on the other hand, may have bots but on a PvP server with there being open pvp... it should help police

I dont' view that as failing hard. Failing hard would be going from 35 Servers to 1 within that time.

For some reason some players feel that every player at launch should want to dedicate themselves to that particular game and if they find out over the course of playing that the game is not for them it's not because the game offers different things that are not their taste but becasue the game failed.

Part of that could be the fault of marketing, trying to get as many players in the game as possible regardless of whether those people would have liked the game in the first place.

And if those 14 servers hold? Could that suggest that those people who left probably were people who never should have played Tera in the first place? At least on a long term basis?

How does a game handle the onslaught of a lot of people who are of the mind that they are going to "try it at launch" but might not be serious? Let the server queues become impossible, hear the bitching and moaning of how players can't get in the game and they are paying good money to get into the game, only to then realize that the game is too easy or hard or *fillin the blank* and leave.

Which then means you have all these servers with perhaps dedicated players that require consolidation. So what? The company stands on ceremony and won't consolidate?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EQ2ThanosEQ2Thanos Member UncommonPosts: 55

Totally agree with OP and you can generalize on asian mmo's FF14 was another example of a recent horror mmo.I certainly won't waste my time in an asian mmo again.Stupid cuddly races with awful giant weapons,stupid combat noises,manga style graphics,everyone looking the same.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Tailz2k7
    Arche Age on the other hand, may have bots but on a PvP server with there being open pvp... it should help police it some.
    The thing is... and this is my honest point of view, most games don't care. There are so many gold sellers and bots because the games simply do not care... how hard would it be to have your gm staff log into each server multiple times a day and ban/close anyone spamming... it would not be hard, it would be EASY... do they do it? No.

There are at least a couple reasons they can't/don't "ban on site". One is if the account is hacked/compromised, a banning does nothing as they will just move over to another compromised account while leaving the actual owner in a banned status. The second is to observe and record what they are doing as a way to stop it in the future.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

TERA have gotten a lot of complains in Korea because it is too fast to reach the maximum level, or in other word they think it have too little grind.

That does of course not mean that it will be popular in the West but it means that it differs from Aion in at least that aspect.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

If the game intends to have server vs server pvp (which tera will have & GW2 will have also) then the company has to merge low pop servers.  If you launch a game with not enough servers then you get long Queuing lines (see Aion's launch), then you reduce the amount when the population settles out.  Tera is not a fail in korea (it has a higher sub base than wow has there) but it will not over take wow in sub numbers globally.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Loke666

TERA have gotten a lot of complains in Korea because it is too fast to reach the maximum level, or in other word they think it have too little grind.

That does of course not mean that it will be popular in the West but it means that it differs from Aion in at least that aspect.

Yeah, TERA is said to be a game that's kinda fast to level in. A bit too fast for some people's liking and it doesn't help that the current iteration of the game (the one the Korean's are currently playing) has little to no endgame content. However in the meantime they are trying to fix the various issues before Western release like: increasing the level cap slightly, adding new endgame content and finally getting the political system in the bloody game. So by the time it releases overseas, it hopefully shouldn't have the annoyances the OP had with Aion, in it.

Not that care. I'll be getting SW:TOR and GW2 instead.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

I don't mind grinding when it's fun, Aion Grinding is not fun.....

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I won't have that problem.......I'm waiting on GW2.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• XzitoXzito Member Posts: 43

Even the korean Tera is nota grind ive played it and within 30 hours of gametime  i ended up lvling :

lvl 26 slayer , lvl  18 Lancer , 16 mystic , 14 sorcerer  and like an 17 ranger.

I always had alot of qeust left in the spot i was Tera does not feel like a grind.

----------------

Aoin made a nice step back to the good recently resubbed.