Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casual Tanker, Is it Possible ?

hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Hello there,

I've been playing this game for some time... on and off but i never get really into it.

I have several toons my main is a lvl 33 Dwarf Guardian.

Now with the new expansion comming i'll try to get into the game again, but i have some concerns about my Guardian.

As i won't be playing that frequently my lvling will be kinda slow, my gear wont be that good and probably i won't run through the dungeons many times, that leading to a problem, not knowing where to go (tanks often get leader role i guess, in PUGs at least) inside the dungeons and such.

Will it be a real problem for a casual player who wants to get some group action sometimes ?

I do like tanking but i also like Healing (not a dpser at all), would a healer be more suitable for me ?

ty for your time !

Comments

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Well, in this game, people never group outside their guilds (kinships), so really a moot point.

But yeah, if you are a casual player, you probably won't get much love if you play a "skill" position in a group (like tank or healer) and can't do the job.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member UncommonPosts: 439

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Well, in this game, people never group outside their guilds (kinships), so really a moot point.

But yeah, if you are a casual player, you probably won't get much love if you play a "skill" position in a group (like tank or healer) and can't do the job.

I strongly disagree... It's very hard to find good pug's in the game and it's even harder to find a tank and healer.  Groups will snatch you up quick and your inexperience will not be a problem as long as you let the group know you're a noob before the dungeon starts.  

From my experience, most guardians suck however their ability to grab agro instantly with the press of one mouse click covers up or hides their lack of capabilities.  You just need to know where not to stand, which direction to turn the boss so the rest of the party doesn't get nooked and so forth.  All of that is easily teachable.  My first time in DG with my warden, we knocked it out without anyone dying and we got hard mode.

If my warden could do it, any guardian can.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Ty for the answer.

When i was at the 20's i tanked a pug in Great Barrows, i found tanking in LOTRO kinda different from others mmos, at least with my Guardian.

My best aggro skills were reactive, to keep using them mobs should be hitting me, sometimes was kinda hard when mobs changed targets to get them back to me.... dunno if its meant to be that way or the problem was with the lack of skills...

I thats why i'm concerned about my playstyle and the role i've choose.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by kuhronusu

Ty for the answer.

When i was at the 20's i tanked a pug in Great Barrows, i found tanking in LOTRO kinda different from others mmos, at least with my Guardian.

My best aggro skills were reactive, to keep using them mobs should be hitting me, sometimes was kinda hard when mobs changed targets to get them back to me.... dunno if its meant to be that way or the problem was with the lack of skills...

Yea guardians are a reactive class and Wardens are more proactive tankerr.

I think you will be fine as a casual tanker, people in LotrO are pretty relaxed. They are also good soloers so leveling isnt a big problem, just abit lsower than som classes. By level 40 you will have lots of different skillsthat you use all the time.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• GaryMGaryM Member Posts: 244

Originally posted by kuhronusu

Ty for the answer.

You will get more skills that you can use to pull mobs onto you as you level up, such as Challenge and Engage. I have a level 65 Guardian that I've played since 2007, and I have no problem getting ago and keeping it most of the time. Of course, you still need some cooperation from DPS classes; a Hunter going all-out in strength stance can definitely challenge your tanking skills ...