Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heroes Rome rising,first 2 days

kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

I first came across this game in closed beta,and i took too it strait away.The atmosphere,estate system,and everything was buggy as hell and that was 2-3 weeks ago.still hard to explain ,i was just drawn in by the fact it was rome and all that mythology.

Well we are now 2 days into headstart,can't see any of the bugs that were originally there,everything has been polished and it plays great.The estate system is great,no problems or bugged quest to date..crashed once only.there was a problem with Bacchus server last night but apart from that,its improved 2000%.still little glitches here and there,but what mmo does,nt have those problems.and tbh i have never had so much fun in ages.yeah the combat is old,the ui needs a bit of work,but i have to say that Heatwave have played a blinder getting this game running.

Also i have heard people complain about the graphics.from my perspective they are great,but i run a 64bit w7 pc..and there are problems running it on 32 bit atm,but devs are working on it.all in all it has turned out to be a wise investment for me..oh btw..its nothing like Wow at all.The minion system alone could make a game doin the quests to collect  them so you can use.ii think you can collect a total of 127 minions atm.Anyways if your tired of the same old stuff,you may want to give this a shot on a free trial maybe before you take a jump.for me it was worth it.

Comments

• GandrellGandrell Member Posts: 22

I agree all together! I got this game for shit and giggles and have been looking for something new that can make me get some renewed enjoyment back into playing mmos again, I must say the first 10 lvls I have played so far have been a blast! Not seeing too many ppl unfort, I think more ppl need this game another look, or just give it a look in general. Solid game for Head Start with the usual few glitches and bugs here and there. Other than that though, looking forward to lvling up!1

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I also got into beta early on.. but sadly everything abotu this game just feels old.. its 2011 and i really dont feel like playign a game from 5 years ago..

Infact i have not been keeping up with it too much.. did they go down the f2p route after ? if its f2p i would coem back and check it out i guess.

Saying that if iit was released a few years ago it could have been a contender.

• bluemagibluemagi Member UncommonPosts: 43

My main issue with the game was the clunky animation esp. with re: to all my minions doing the same thing I was.  The game just didn't feel alive.  I wish the game the best.  Although I really really hoped it was kind of like Granado Espada but with a Roman feel.  The game just isn't for me at this time.  Glad the OP is having a blast tho!  I hope more have fun with the game :)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Don't try to collect all the minions you come across. Whenever you decide to upgrade equipment for them you have to upgrade the equipment for every single minion within a class. That's going to get expensive fast.  Although they level faster, minions also have to level the same way you do.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

no its not gone down the f2p route atm..i may be wrong but they seem to have quite a heck of a lot of pre orders fro what i,ve heard..other thing is i agree its a bit outdated but from my perspective,some of the games i have played recentely i thought i had nothing to lose.aion disappointed me..rift bored me and so on.getting back to f2p though..i think it will do at some point but with it being a small company i think p2p is the way to go to recoup some of the money they have invested.if you guys check the forums you will see that there really is a passion for this game from a lot of people.so wish Heatwave great success mainly because they deserve it.they have done a hell of a lot of work on this game..time will tell though,but i am happy for the next year or 2 anyways.i got this game and lotro to keep me busy.

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

Hey dude, can you tell me more aobut the estate part of this game??!

This might be one thing that I really wanna get back into MMO too!  I miss housing MMO!! and this one sounds good too and heard this one has lots of customization with your estates.

Can you tell me more?

ok the estate system starts off with its all been destroyed.you have a villa,temple guard tower,library,etc..you get quests where you have to go out and kill the mobs that destroyed your estate.sometimes to recover items that are stolen,sometimes just do pay your respects by kicking the crap out of them.the estate has your quatermaster(bank),minion smith who upgrades your armour on your minions and such.each time you complete a quest for lets say library,it will be upgraded to next state of repair.that is a rough guideline.they have so much planned for the estate system its hard to pick any one thing..easier to check forums.what i will say if you decide to get the game..is do not compare to other mmo's you have played,mainly because its nothing like them.also atm the ui is a bit old.the game still has a few problems although nothing to do with questline.glitches here and there.the combat is old style..so if your after AAA this is,nt for you..but if you have an open mind and go into game with the intention of having fun..you will have fun.the minion system alone is really fun to deal with although it could be more complex and one day maybe it will be.you must remember this is a small company that are releasing this game .the staff are amazing,they respond to every post you put on the forum for them.everyone is really friendly.give it a try m8..oh btw the graphics on ultra make the game look really nice.hope this helps.

• DeadmanJackDeadmanJack Member UncommonPosts: 11

Originally posted by bluemagi

My main issue with the game was the clunky animation esp. with re: to all my minions doing the same thing I was.  The game just didn't feel alive.  I wish the game the best.  Although I really really hoped it was kind of like Granado Espada but with a Roman feel.  The game just isn't for me at this time.  Glad the OP is having a blast tho!  I hope more have fun with the game :)

Hi bluemagi,

Yes, there are definitely some animations that need work.  We've already made a 1st pass on combat animations (which are live now) and our animators are working on the run animations and others right now.

Stay tuned for some great looking stuff!

• WazMeisterWazMeister Member Posts: 149

I'm on head start, only breifly played but it has loads potential and is awesome fun.

Needs alot of work, but I'm loving it.. and thats me saying it.. I'm the worse critic ever when it comes to MMO's, always moaning about them etc etc.

This is actually cool, love how devs reply and show hard work too

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Must say I personally really enjoy the setting, but frankly, I do not see me picking up my pre-order.  The severe lack of population needs addressed.

When there are less than 20 people on a server on a Saturday afternoon or Friday evening, the game has zero interest.  I'll wait until I see the servers the evening or two after launch before I decide whether its worth an initial investment of 50.  If it was 25 or so I'd say no doubt as I can cough that up and toss a 3month sub on it to see where the game goes.  I personally really like what the dev's team commitment is and that alone has sparked interested and my initial pre-order, but no population is a major downfall and I hope once it is in retail many more people pick it up as I can see this have a very fun and niche following with the setting.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

they should of went f2p... but they tried to shark a 49.99 fee for a 2007 game. Soon as I saw that I was like wow... people complain about 2010 and 2011 games following the wow system... what will they say about a 2007 game following the same theme park stuff.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

The first few days after launch will probably be the most popular days and it will severly drop from there.  This game is a failure before launch, trust me.

• TarotMageTarotMage Member Posts: 126

I was in beta (yeah, I know -- who wasn't, right?) and while I liked some of the game's mechanics (having a Roman Deity as your mentor/trainer was a brilliant touch) the graphics left me absolutely cold. The consensus was right - this should have been a f2p game from the get-go.

It may be one still. $50 for a game that looks ten years old right out of the box does not bode well.  Unless the devs fix the look of the game G&H may very well replace APB as fastest server shutdown ever.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. - Marie Curie

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Nice comments guys.

To me it boils down to what I pointed out before, lack of population.  And broken features of game.  The chat system needs a fix instantly.  A minor graphical rework of the whole UI is much needed as well.

If they would wait 2-3 months to release the game, I'd have much better launch as long as one of the other major releases don't happen at the same time.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

they should of went f2p... but they tried to shark a 49.99 fee for a 2007 game. Soon as I saw that I was like wow... people complain about 2010 and 2011 games following the wow system... what will they say about a 2007 game following the same theme park stuff.

It's $35 on D2D marked down from $40.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

When this game was first announced and I got into beta, I was so excited as it was in a setting I drool over. That was a couple of years ago. I was really disappointed when the game was pulled. Well, it came back, I ventured in a little bit, time passed, but the improvements didn't keep up with time and the surrounding games competing with it. There really is no big reason with LOTRO and AOC making their service more affordable and free in certain cases to pick this up. I certainly would pay $35 for a box copy. With SWTOR and GW2 around the corner, it just doesn't seem like this has anything that would draw people into it. The world just doesn't feel alive and the walls of text, hitting accept, not reading anything because of that wall of text are just getting really old in all current MMO games.

To play devil's advocate to myself, I was only in the latest beta for a VERY short period of time because on first impressions, it just seemed identical from a couple of years ago. That was a few months ago. I find it hard to believe that enough was updated in a few months to make a huge difference. Nevertheless, I do hope that those who do stay find something I didn't see and that the game finds enough subscribers to convince others to give it a try. I hate to see any game fail unless they lie and one thing I will say is as far as I know, nothing was ever promised that didn't materialize.

There Is Always Hope!

well in answer to that all i can say is check the forums,you get a good idea off the community has to wether or not peeps are telling the truth or not.other thing i would like to say is i,m glad Heatwave took this on rather than a big company.this is there only project i,m aware of atm, and they are putting there all into it.has for the changes,i can guarantee you ,you would not recognise the game from closed beta..it has changed so much.yes it still has problems.but i seem to remember another game on release,well in fact a few that were in a lot worse condition than this on release,for example...conan,vanguard,and look at them now,they are only just up to scratch over the last year.it wont sell millions,but Heatwave knew this when they took this project on.all in all i hope they are successful with it.they deserve to be for all the hard work they put in.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

The "open" beta had much better textures than the last days of the closed (the RAM usage seemed kinda off, tho), and especially the (deity-)quests were improved. Didn't come across any of the old "run through 5 zones by foot (spend 45 minutes passing through Alban Hills restarting the client) for less exp than 3 mobs" type of quests this time. Fasttravel was also a huge step up.

But..I don't feel like there is enough in there yet to justify a box+subscription.

And that leads to another problem: low population. During all the beta phases I never saw more than 3 players at once, unless you were doing an instance run.  I doubt that there will be a huge difference between headstart and official release.

Guess I'll wait about 6 months and see where it goes.