Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Message Regarding Client Problems 15 June

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

SV has given some information regarding the post-Dawn problems with client instability:

Unread Today, 11:49

Lead GameMaster

default Update Dawn 15/06

Greetings Community

We have located the issue that is causing players to crash. In order to resolve this issue we need to rebuild some parts of the new mount system, which will take some time. For now we have decided to disable all pets until the necessary changes have been made.

Complex issues like this are nearly impossible to experience during testing. We apologize for the inconvience these crashes have caused and we thank you again for your support while we are resolving these issues.

Discord is offline Add to Discord's Reputation Report Post

Hopefully this issue will be resolved very soon.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

I am betting at least a week.  What are all the tamers gonna do now?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Moreplex

I am betting at least a week.  What are all the tamers gonna do now?

My main character is a tamer.  I'm currently working on figuring out cooking, which is going to take some time.  Also going to continue checking out all the pickables strewn throughout the world now, and work on the new skills.  Probably also kill undead in the graveyards, or some of the other PvE I was already doing, perhaps explore some of the new hidden areas. Oh, yeah, work on practicing archery again - it's pretty different now.  Maybe work on some tasks for others, or run some mail.  Other than, do stuff with the guildies.

Then, there are the alts....

I'll have plenty to do.  What are you planning to do in-game?

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Yeah. i see very much to do with no horses! Just look at the post above!

Graveyards it is for me to start with!

Originally posted by wmada2k

Yeah. i see very much to do with no horses! Just look at the post above!

Graveyards it is for me to start with!

Hopefully, the fix won't take too long.  At least it sounds like they've located the problem.

Yeah, There's plenty to do.  For the record, my first dish ever was "Nauseating Raw Gherkin with Salt".  Not good.  image

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

"Complex issues like this are nearly impossible to experience during testing. ".. Testing out that mounts are working is complex? Lol, sorry, but I think SV hit the new low with their excuses.

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Toferio

"Complex issues like this are nearly impossible to experience during testing. ".. Testing out that mounts are working is complex? Lol, sorry, but I think SV hit the new low with their excuses.

If something seems simple to you, odds are you don't understand it...

Disabling the pets seems to have worked well, so it appears they've located the problem correctly.  Hopefully, it won't take long to rebuild in a way that works well.

Originally posted by Rohn

Disabling the pets seems to have worked well, so it appears they've located the problem correctly.  Hopefully, it won't take long to rebuild in a way that works well.

True... it sounds like the problem is actually with pre-dawn mounts, so hopefully the problem can be fixed with some arduous DB work (hell, that might be what they're doing now for all I know)

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

I think there is more to it than just "testing the mounts". I bet it is pretty complex, and not only: Ride in 4 directions (w, s, a, d).

Anyway, great they seem to have found the issue, and that is working!

Looks like another update today:

Unread Today, 08:00

Lead GameMaster

default Update Dawn 16/06

Greetings Community

In an effort to resolve finally the crashing a server patch will disable all pets , mounts, stables and taming. . We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you we hope to have the issue resolved soon.

Hopefully we're geting closer to resolution.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by funkmastaD

If something seems simple to you, odds are you don't understand it...

Since it is so severe they had to disable whole pet/mount system and it crashed majority of players, yes, it does seem rather easy to detect. But as you said, I can't know whole picture, maybe it's some weird bug that only works on remote clients.. wait, they should have tested that too, right?

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

Lead GameMaster

Greetings Community

In an effort to resolve finally the crashing a server patch will disable all pets , mounts, stables and taming. . We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you we hope to have the issue resolved soon.

Do you know how that reads to a professional developer?

"We can't figure out how to fix your car so we are disabling the brakes, windows, wipers, and headlights while we work on the issue".

The state of the way this game is developed is almost an obscenity to real developers. It's shameful that people like this even have a platform to deliver any type of software..

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Lead GameMaster

Greetings Community

"We can't figure out how to fix your car so we are disabling the brakes, windows, wipers, and headlights while we work on the issue".

The state of the way this game is developed is almost an obscenity to real developers. It's shameful that people like this even have a platform to deliver any type of software..

With your analogy, you've picked out a random assortment of unrelated car parts, which is not what SV has done.

The parts of the game they've disabled all center around the pin-pointed problem: the new horses.  For now, we can't tame them, stable them, unstable them, ride them, load them, or command them.  They did not pick random and disparate systems within the game as you did in your analogy - everything they've disabled centers around removing the new horses as a factor from the game, until they can rebuild the faulty parts.

Since they've been disabled, approximately 70% of the people responding to a recent poll report that the client is now completely stable for them.  Of the remainder, most of them are reporting instability with just individual characters, many of which were also tied to horse issues (ex: crashed when retrieving mount from equerry, now they keep crashing with that one character only).

Do you know what that sounds like to a different type of professional?  It sounds like they hit a high payoff target, which also happened to be the 50-meter one.

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

---  Are you a professional developer?   I mean, SV are professional developers, so either you have some impressive bona fides to pull rank and call them out (it doesn't take much, I'm sure you've read their financial statements, you don't exactly need to crank out a massive profit to compete) or you're speculating here and stating it as fact.

edit:

lol, this has got to be the first mmo forum in which one can honestly say "I'm sure you've read their financial statements" without batting an eye.

edit:  lol, this has gotta be the first mmo forum where one can say "I'm sure you've read their financial statements" and be confident it's true

edit:  lol, this has gotta be the first mmo forum where one can say "I'm sure you've read their financial statements" and be confident it's true

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988

Since they've been disabled, approximately 70% of the people responding to a recent poll report that the client is now completely stable for them.  Of the remainder, most of them are reporting instability with just individual characters, many of which were also tied to horse issues (ex: crashed when retrieving mount from equerry, now they keep crashing with that one character only).

Do you know what that sounds like to a different type of professional?  It sounds like they hit a high payoff target, which also happened to be the 50-meter one.

Sorry.  To me... after 5 days... to claim that ONLY 30% of your customers are insta-crashing is some kind of victory is just wrong.  Sure it's progress, but come on.  30% of the players are still insta-crashing?  And that's if we even believe the poll with it's whopping 49 voters.   To top it all off, that's with one of the major features of the game (and expansion) turned off...

So, yes.. is ot better to only be instacrashing 30% of your playerbase by turning off a big chunk of your game?  Yes, but that's really not something I personally would be touting very loudly.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Sorry.  To me... after 5 days... to claim that ONLY 30% of your customers are insta-crashing is some kind of victory is just wrong.  Sure it's progress, but come on.  30% of the players are still insta-crashing?  And that's if we even believe the poll with it's whopping 49 voters.   To top it all off, that's with one of the major features of the game (and expansion) turned off...

So, yes.. is ot better to only be instacrashing 30% of your playerbase by turning off a big chunk of your game?  Yes, but that's really not something I personally would be touting very loudly.

Any amount of instability is a bad thing.  But, the amount of improvement in the last 2 days has been exceptionally positive.  There's still a lot more work for them to do, obviously, but they appear to have nailed down the main problem from which the majority of instability has flowed.  That's a good thing.

Hold a parade for it?  Not at all.  Recognize that it's a huge improvement for the overwhelming majority of actual players?  Absolutely.  They still have a lot of work to do to correct it, though.