Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to Role Play with a brainless autonatom Avatar.

We have found a bower pretty and quiet. I softly speak sweet words to my lady-love but something isnt right. My avatar is breathing heavily in his corny heroic pose, stretching his shoulders and occassionaly looking away as if bored or guilty. He's not feeling it and neither am I.

I invite suggestions or examples of exsisting solutions for this problem of cold and indifferent avatars, to get back the humanity that we had back in the days of MUDs.

A couple of ideas from me:

An emotion wheel in the UI. The center is a neutral emotional state, at the outside edges are extremes of emotion with varying intensity in between. Related feelings like Rage and Fear next to each other, Joy and misery opposite. With one click you determine your avatars emotional state which effects automated emotes and stance.

Eye contact. Click on the focus icon then a player to keep your attention on that person. If another group member speaks your gaze turns to them.

TY for reading.

Comments

  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

    Second Life has all that.  Just saying. (Except for gaze auto-connecting.  You have to manually switch your focus point)

  • KingBillehKingBilleh Member Posts: 21

    Originally posted by Meowhead

    Second Life has all that.  Just saying. (Except for gaze auto-connecting.  You have to manually switch your focus point)

    Ahh thankyou, i didn't know that. It's just a pity some fantasy MMOs that go to all the trouble to make such  gorgeous locations don't impletment something of this nature.

  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,978

    Please god NEVER introduce this feature, because the amount of emote-spam this would generate would be so bloody irritating.

     

    Second Life is slow, clunky, boring, dated and looks abysmal on ANY computer. Really, you wouldn't like it.  It's one of those things that sounds vastly better than it actually is, which is why journalists who know nothing think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  They haven't actually TRIED it though.

  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

    It has flying penises though, that has to count for something ...

  • KingBillehKingBilleh Member Posts: 21

    Originally posted by Dibdabs

    Please god NEVER introduce this feature, because the amount of emote-spam this would generate would be so bloody irritating.

     

    Second Life is slow, clunky, boring, dated and looks abysmal on ANY computer. Really, you wouldn't like it.  It's one of those things that sounds vastly better than it actually is, which is why journalists who know nothing think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  They haven't actually TRIED it though.

    Yeah Im not a fan of Second Life myself. I found it buggy and laggy and overall pretty grotty. I think though that some of the big budget developers could come up with something without memory leaks. I didnt envision the emotes to appear in the chat log but to be purely visual so I must disagree with your spam concerns.

  • rothbardrothbard Member Posts: 248

    Originally posted by Dibdabs

    Please god NEVER introduce this feature, because the amount of emote-spam this would generate would be so bloody irritating.

    How is changing your avatar's idle animation / demeanor emote-spam?

  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

    Originally posted by Dibdabs

    Please god NEVER introduce this feature, because the amount of emote-spam this would generate would be so bloody irritating.

     

    Second Life is slow, clunky, boring, dated and looks abysmal on ANY computer. Really, you wouldn't like it.  It's one of those things that sounds vastly better than it actually is, which is why journalists who know nothing think it's the best thing since sliced bread.  They haven't actually TRIED it though.

    I didn't say 'Go play Second Life', just saying that such features totally exist in a form in a game. :)

  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,520

    I like it.

    However, maybe it would also be good to put such settings on a timer? Reset it as needed? Go back to neutral after something like 30 seconds?

    And I think it's understood that you'd also have specific emotes as currently in games that you can use at any moment.

    Once upon a time....

  • rokrowrokrow Member Posts: 66

    Second Life is free to play.

    If you want to do the really cool stuff you need an account and some land, but you can get a really good feel for the game without spending a dime.

  • KingBillehKingBilleh Member Posts: 21

    Originally posted by Amaranthar

    I like it.

    However, maybe it would also be good to put such settings on a timer? Reset it as needed? Go back to neutral after something like 30 seconds?

    And I think it's understood that you'd also have specific emotes as currently in games that you can use at any moment.

    I like that idea a lot! If you were engaged in intense RP you would be flipping around the dial pretty quickly I imagine. But for a casual encounter such as trading It would be tidy to have the mood reset after a short time so you dont walk through town looking canny for no reason haha.

Sign In or Register to comment.