Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIFT subscription update at E 3 from Scoot Hartsman

FurorFuror Member Posts: 374

During the interview, at E3

Scotts Hartsman said RIFT IS close to 1 Million Paying Subscribers.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/the-sanctum-20-e3-hammerknell/

This interview is at E3.

Comments

• FurorFuror Member Posts: 374

Please stop saying rift is dying, its already confirmed at e 3 that rift has nearly 1 million monthly subscribers to rift

The video interview at 38 minute tells you that, and thats proof.

Rift is far from being a dead game, those who says rift is dying are trolls and dont have the facts straight.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

This is something that has boggled my mind for a while now.  I mean, I know people are going to come here, say RIFT sucks or whatever hateful remark they make and try to justify why it sucks.  But I have to wonder why do they say it sucks?  Is it because these are people that are so attached to Warcraft that to see something up and coming like RIFT, or even The Old Reupblic, means that maybe World of Warcraft has run its stint and is slowly starting to level off in terms of popularity?

Please don't get me wrong.  I have no hate for World of Warcraft.  I had many a good long hours in that game, alot of time invested, alot of good times.  But Warcraft had a good run.  And I'm glad to see Trion Worlds stepped up to the plate.  Yes.  It's a familiar feel.  In more ways than one.  But it's fun.  At least to me. 

I guess I'm just confused as to all the hate I see towards it.  Maybe someone can help enlighten me?

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Agreed Rift is a very good game and it deserves credit since it is the only game to have a decent launch is years and years also it is a very fun game to play

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by misles

But I have to wonder why do they say it sucks?

Most of the people screaming that it sucks are either the ones who created the false hype by saying Rift would be something other than a casual friendly themepark quest grinder or the ones who believed them. When Trion first announced Rift, we heard lots of rumors that it would be something similar to EQ or VG so a lot of vets of those games got excited about the prospect of a high quality game with updated graphics/combat and old school features. Now that it's out and everyone can see for themselves that it's a high quality game with updated graphics that plays very similar to WAR/EQ2/WoW many of those vets are now bitter and lashing out about the game even though Trion was not responsible for the false hype.

Trion was very open about what type of game they were making so anyone who is upset about how the game turned out, has no one to blame but themselves for believing  the rumormill instead of looking at the information provided by the people who made the game.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

I mean, I know people are going to come here, say RIFT sucks or whatever hateful remark they make and try to justify why it sucks.  But I have to wonder why do they say it sucks?  Is it because these are people that are so attached to Warcraft that to see something up and coming like RIFT, or even The Old Reupblic, means that maybe World of Warcraft has run its stint and is slowly starting to level off in terms of popularity?
    Some players feel 'lied' to about the game. It doesn't 'suck' at all and is okay. But the problem is how Trion marketed RIFT.

To intentionally compare yourself to WoW for months in advertisments daily and then to claim "Wait, wait.. I'm just starting. Give me some time!" is kind of dishonest.

If you're going to call out the baddest guy on the block in a fight, you can't then say "Wait, let me train for a few months first then we can fight when I'm stronger".

If you can back it up, great.. fight. If you can't you should be quiet until you can. Rift is a decent enough game, but it's nowhere near what WoW has going for it overall.

They should have just went about their business instead of making a lot of promises they can't deliver until six months from now or whenever.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Furor

During the interview, at E3

Scotts Hartsman said RIFT IS close to 1 Million Paying Subscribers.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/the-sanctum-20-e3-hammerknell/

This interview is at E3.

Wow, that's an hour and 12 minutes long, I don't have the patience to watch the whole thing.  But I will say that I thought someone brought this up in another thread and they had said they were nearing 1 million boxes sold not subs.  Could this be just different interpretations of the same thing?  Not trying to troll your post, I'm just wondering if people are interpreting the same thing differently or if there are two different sources floating around saying different things.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by syrusmag3

Agreed Rift is a very good game and it deserves credit since it is the only game to have a decent launch is years and years also it is a very fun game to play

I am a current Rift player and enjoy the game but I wanted to say that LOTRO had a very good launch too. Rift was not the only one in recent times to have a good launch. Also, Lego Universe had a near flawless launch and even the DCUO launch was pretty good. I only say this because there are other  companies out there who do launch an MMO in good shape.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

this shows teo things

A: The MMO market is not dead in the "west"

B: People like themepark games

For the rest.. you have a tale in the desert and Darkfall.

Me i am glad to see a game do good as most releases last couple of years have been less then brilliant.

This have been a good conversation

Ok, I managed to skip parts and hit the part where they talk about sales.  He mentions approaching 1 million "customers."  He mentioned the Gamasutra article and said that was their first mention.  Since he didn't contradict the article and it said they were approaching 1 million sales not subs, I am doubtful that he ment subs in the interview.  He could have said that, but a customer is anyone who has purchased your product (at least to me it is), which would coincide with what the Gamasutra article said about 1 million sales.

Edit:  Man, threads keep dying after I post.  I think I'm going to change my name to funsucker as I seem to be sucking the fun out of all the discussions.

• PermianPermian Member CommonPosts: 78

I think he meant registered accounts too and that is 1 month old news now - there was a press release about a month ago from Trion to brag. Remember something similair for Cryptic and Star Trek Online last year although that was registered forum accounts. I would say Rift is in better shape than Star Trek Online was after 3 months of being online.

That's not the say Rift doesn't have it's own issues.

I changed my mind about cancelling my subscription -- I'll give Rift another month at least.

Scott hartsman said it himself around 38 minutes into the interview RIFT IS closing in ON 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS.

Not boxes sold.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Rift doesn't suck at first, but then when rifts and WFs and endgame become repetitive and non-dynamic, it starts to suck.  There's basically two types of mmo players, the vast majority are willing to do the same things over and over again for something that translates to status or a sense of accomplishment, other people are not.  I do not understand the former, and I've never heard anyone who belongs to that group actually address this repetition and try to justify or defend it.  Instead they just sidestep it, like a shameful dark secret that their lives are so boring and vapid that this mindless grinding is preferable to the other options for their time on any given day.

I highly doubt that Rift is gaining subscribers.  It has no hype or buzz, no new content that is exciting or addresses the reasons why people are leaving in the first place.  Quite frankly, it makes no sense for their numbers to be increasing.  It does not pass the smell test, as they say.

• JerivalJerival Member Posts: 16

The video interview at 38 minute tells you that, and thats proof.

People have been known to intentionally throw out misleading and/or incorrect statistics during interviews.  Now he could be correct, but either way his comment is not proof of anything.

check the video at 38: 49 in the link this is straight from scott hartsman at E3.

Trion is approching 1 millionth subscriber.

you cant refute that now.

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

This is something that has boggled my mind for a while now.  I mean, I know people are going to come here, say RIFT sucks or whatever hateful remark they make and try to justify why it sucks.  But I have to wonder why do they say it sucks?  Is it because these are people that are so attached to Warcraft that to see something up and coming like RIFT, or even The Old Reupblic, means that maybe World of Warcraft has run its stint and is slowly starting to level off in terms of popularity?

Please don't get me wrong.  I have no hate for World of Warcraft.  I had many a good long hours in that game, alot of time invested, alot of good times.  But Warcraft had a good run.  And I'm glad to see Trion Worlds stepped up to the plate.  Yes.  It's a familiar feel.  In more ways than one.  But it's fun.  At least to me. 

I guess I'm just confused as to all the hate I see towards it.  Maybe someone can help enlighten me?

I think it's been answered before but for some of us...It's not attachment to WoW, it's being totally bored of WoW and wanting a different game. Maybe not a revolution in concept but an evolution in concept.

Good for Rift and yet ... /sigh. Here's to WoW-clones, or perhaps RIFT-clones in 2018!!!!

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Well make that 999 thousand then, I just unsubscribed :P

Not because the game is bad, but

1. I'm waiting for the next update to resub :)

2. I have 45 free days in DCUO xD

3. Need to finish Witcher 2

4. Skyrim

5. Infamous 2

6. SWTOR is probably out

7. Guild Wars 2 is probably out

Then I'm possibly playing Rift in between all these. Do you now see how stressful my life is? :D

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

So those of us who sit in LFD or Warfront queues are just imagining these long waits?

I'll believe they guy, but it feels like am unpopulated game. Maybe everyone is out soloing, but, then, I really don't see a lot of people past the first zone.

Maybe its my server, but still doesn't explain the long wait on warfront queues which are cross-server.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

check the video at 38: 49 in the link this is straight from scott hartsman at E3.

Umm, no. It says "one millionth unit". Go back and check. Another thing you're wrong about is Scott Hartsman did not say that!!! The host says it!!!!!!!

Scott Hartsman says around the 40 minute mark that they are about to get their one millionth customer. Dude, you are just flat out lying.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

I'd suggest you watch it again.  He specifically says "approaching 1 millionth unit sold"... that's not the same thing as a subscriber (unless 100% of purchasers convert into subscribers, which is never the case).

It's probably more like 600k-700k.

(And yes I'm a RIFT player... until my subscription runs up at the end of the month...!) 

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Well make that 999 thousand then, I just unsubscribed :P

Not because the game is bad, but

1. I'm waiting for the next update to resub :)

2. I have 45 free days in DCUO xD

3. Need to finish Witcher 2

4. Skyrim

5. Infamous 2

6. SWTOR is probably out

7. Guild Wars 2 is probably out

Then I'm possibly playing Rift in between all these. Do you now see how stressful my life is? :D

What a hard life! :P

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Having some spare time consumed looking at the vid the biggest number they mention is the 600k that have left WoW -> "from 12 to 11,4...do the math!"

Hartsman himself only mentions the Gamasutra news "We apporach 1 million sold units" which means both digital and box sales as stated by the other man and doesnt say anything about subscribers specific "We have quite a few subscribers"

Yawn...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Scott hartsman said it himself around 38 minutes into the interview RIFT IS closing in ON 1 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS.

Not boxes sold.

He did not say subscribers, he said "customers."

Edit:  sorry I didn't realize that so many others had already pointed this out, should have read through it all.