Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...whats happening here?

2»

Comments

• AuxiliaryAuxiliary Member Posts: 90

The breasts in this game are huge, all your arguments are invalid.

On a more serious note. I am quite concerned for this game, but I don't expect to see a massive failure as long as they pick a good time to ship the game entirely finished and not some shitty buggy version nobody will like too much. It shouldn't ship at the same time as TOR since it might be more innovating on gameplay, but for the rest this game offers little new to the community.

The political system will be interesting for the hardcore guilds, the pvp guilds and the extremely big social guilds, but for anyone else I don't think they will really see much of this system. I think every server might have one or two people who try to win by truly winning the community for them if we are lucky. It is far easier to just grab a huge social guild and force your leader to victory after all. Just like the social / levelling guilds in WoW with several hundreds of members without any requirements before joining.

If they manage to ship this before TOR and GW2, this game will do a lot better, but they shouldn't release it until it is ready for the Western Market. The half finished version didn't exactly do well in Korea and their first content update took extremely long to get there even if it was truly huge.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Getalife

That is where you are wrong because even if GW2 is priced as a single player game in gameplay it is a complete MMO. So why do you think players won't play it non stop or invest lots of time into it? what makes monthly sub MMOS so special that only they warrant lots of time investment? like i said people make their own logics to suit their arguments. In my opinion if a good B2P MMO is released which rivals any P2P MMO in terms of content and quality i see no reason why majority wouldn't want to stick to B2P MMO instead of paying 15 bucks a month for another.

Because just like all B2P games, expansions are very far and few between.   Fun at first, then when you have experenced all that there is to offer players tend to move on to other games until new content is added, and in the case of b2p games that could be 1-2 years down the road.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by stayontarget

That is where you are wrong because even if GW2 is priced as a single player game in gameplay it is a complete MMO. So why do you think players won't play it non stop or invest lots of time into it? what makes monthly sub MMOS so special that only they warrant lots of time investment? like i said people make their own logics to suit their arguments. In my opinion if a good B2P MMO is released which rivals any P2P MMO in terms of content and quality i see no reason why majority wouldn't want to stick to B2P MMO instead of paying 15 bucks a month for another.

Because just like all B2P games, expansions are very far and few between.   Fun at first, then when you have experenced all that there is to offer players tend to move on to other games until new content is added, and in the case of b2p games that could be 1-2 years down the road.

Heh, this is more wishful thinking than reality from your side. In reality there is absolutly no guaranty that P2P game will add content faster than B2P. I dont even see why it should be so. 1-2 years to add content for B2P ? lol ... First expansion for GW came exactly 1y later, 2nd 6 months later, 3rd bit more than 1y. Not every P2P game is like WoW or Rift with adding new content (and even with them its mostly limited to minor updates + new raid instances)  Now these are western games. With Korean games it's usualy worse and add additional time for lokalization for west. In Aion took them aprox. 3/4y to add new content for korea and 1y for west. And Aion is way more succesful game so far than TERA ...

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

GW had new expansion every 6 to 12 months. I am sure ANET would like to keep the same speed of churning out content with GW2. Moreover P2P games never guarantee content updates within first 6 months or year.  Infact, B2P games need to release content faster compared to P2P since that is where msot of the profit comes from.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

I'm not a big fan of most of the MMOs that come out of Korea - mostly grindy, simple crap.

Could the server merges and unpopularity there mean it's actually a decent game for westerners, just not what they like there?

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

I'm not a big fan of most of the MMOs that come out of Korea - mostly grindy, simple crap.

Could the server merges and unpopularity there mean it's actually a decent game for westerners, just not what they like there?

I hate to admit it but i was thinking the same thing... (no offence ment towards korean mmo players)

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

oh geeze - no offense intended from me either. Didn't mean to imply Koreans were simpler people. People get satisfaction from different types of gameplay, nothing wrong with any of it.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I've said it before but, a number of people on this site say they want an action MMO, but I have yet to see such a game succeed. I don't think the majority of MMO players want that. Fallen Earth, Earthrise, Chronicles of Spellborn , DCUO etc... all fail. Now I know these games all have/had other issues too, and maybe that was the reason for their failures. But until I see an action MMO succeed, I will continue to assert that is not what most MMO players want.

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

oh geeze - no offense intended from me either. Didn't mean to imply Koreans were simpler people. People get satisfaction from different types of gameplay, nothing wrong with any of it.

In part you are correct,  one of the biggest differences between western gamers and eastern gamers is that eastern gamers play from Cafe's and not at home (most have consoles at home).  So when they sit down with a group of friends it mostly involves food, drinks, and a lot of chatting with their friends while playing a session of a game.  The most played game in korean cafe's right now is FIFA12 (that might be because of the womens world cup going on right now).

If I have to make a choice between sitting at home alone playing a game or sitting in a cafe with friends playing a game.....I think I would chose the later.  I'm quite envious in that respect.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Senadina

I've said it before but, a number of people on this site say they want an action MMO, but I have yet to see such a game succeed. I don't think the majority of MMO players want that. Fallen Earth, Earthrise, Chronicles of Spellborn , DCUO etc... all fail. Now I know these games all have/had other issues too, and maybe that was the reason for their failures. But until I see an action MMO succeed, I will continue to assert that is not what most MMO players want.

That's all relative and it really depends on what you condsider an MMO Player and who the majority is.

Taking your same very scientific method and applying it to all the gamers in the world the answer you'd get is "no gamers want MMOs;" maybe even "The majority of players want facebook games." Look - see, here are some games failing - a lot of them are MMOs must mean the majority of gamers don't want MMOs. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy

Tab targeting is an abberation based on the communication limitations of 14.4K modems.

GW had new expansion every 6 to 12 months. I am sure ANET would like to keep the same speed of churning out content with GW2. Moreover P2P games never guarantee content updates within first 6 months or year.  Infact, B2P games need to release content faster compared to P2P since that is where msot of the profit comes from.

The last expansion was in oct 2006 (Guild Wars Nightfall), that makes it 3 expansions in 6 years total.  Eye of the North was never considered an expansion, it's just a repackage of the prior three with a few added area's to explore.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

The last expansion was in oct 2006 (Guild Wars Nightfall), that makes it 3 expansions in 6 years total.  Eye of the North was never considered an expansion, it's just a repackage of the prior three with a few added area's to explore.

3 expansions in 6 years and EON call it xpac or stand alone game or whatever you like but it was an addition to GW in terms of content. Fact remains that there is no guarantee that a P2P MMO like Tera will churn out content faster in comparison to a B2P MMO like GW2.

Wow - it was released on 4/05.. so it got 3 expansions in one year? Guessing that the expansions were around $30 and the game was $50 so if you're still playing, that's 6 years of gameplay for $140.

I'm not arguing either side - personally, guild wars hit the circular file about 15 minutes after install when I saw all the male models were effeminate clones of Prince.

As a fan base though I think it's important that we do the math to cut through the terms F2P, P2P and B2B. I think dollars/MB of content would be a good measure. Eve's monacle pricing was hilarious, but if you're paying $3 for a 2MB fancy red dress you're still a stooge.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Dont speak about things you obviously dont know anything about.

1) EOTN is expansion of GW - http://www.guildwars.com/products/eyeofthenorth/, it adds new areas, new story, new campaign to the game. The difference to the previous  expansions is that it is not stand alone -  u need any of the previous expansions to play it. It's like you say Cataclysm is not expansion to WOW becouse you cant play it without previous ones.

2) After EOTN expansions were officialy discontinued becouse they started to work gw2. Untill that their expansions were 1st after 1y, 2nd 6 months later, 3rd bit more than 1y later. Saying that it took them 6y to produce 3 expansion is twisting facts, no it took them something less than 3y to produce 3 expansions after that gw2 development started. They still add some minor content and ballancing for free. When P2P game is discontinued you always leave pissed players, becouse you realy feel cheated when you pay for future content and you will realize it will not come ... Just compare SWG (P2P) with GW (B2P).

3) Back to TERA, so far i dont see how it can compete on west, action combat is not enough. I could see it being more succesful as F2P, but P2P no way.