Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Servers Taken Down To Address "Unforseen Issues" with DAWN Expansion

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

New Dawn... same old quality...

LinkBack vbmenu_register("linkbacktools");

Unread Today, 02:13

Lead GameMaster

default Server Down

Dear Community,

We would like to thank you all for our support since Dawn's release.

We have collected a great deal of information however we have identified a number of stability issues which we need to address as soon as possible.

Unfortunately this means that we need to leave the server down whilst we address the unforseen issues to enable us to provide you with a stable server.

We appreciate your patience while we take this necessary corrective action.

Support Team.

Please Use the Bug Tracker to Report any Bugs

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Kinda figured this would happen.  

Hope they fix it quickly, with a few free days gameplay to compensate if it takes that long.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Is it the end this time?
    I really wonder how they stay afloat!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Originally posted by Blutmaul

Is it the end this time?

haha, really?  It sucks, but ya gotta wait at least 12 hours before asking "is it the end"... shit, at this point I've had EVE nodes crash for longer.  Not saying it's a strong showing on SV's part,but perspective, man, perspective.  (And yes, in 12 hours if it's still down without satisfactory update, yeah, we'll have a problem.)

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272
    Originally posted by funkmastaD

Is it the end this time?

haha, really?  It sucks, but ya gotta wait at least 12 hours before asking "is it the end"... shit, at this point I've had EVE nodes crash for longer.  Not saying it's a strong showing on SV's part,but perspective, man, perspective.  (And yes, in 12 hours if it's still down without satisfactory update, yeah, we'll have a problem.)

Makes you think they should have fixed the old issues first. Building an expansion on top of a horribly programmed game doesn't make for a good combo, as we see now.

Originally posted by HerculesSAS

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Is it the end this time?

Makes you think they should have fixed the old issues first. Building an expansion on top of a horribly programmed game doesn't make for a good combo, as we see now.

It's not like "server instability" is a single 'bug' that can be squashed wholly by squashing one crash-causing bug.  It's the side effect of any type of bug somewhere in 6gb+ patches. It's like saying "heart failure' is a specific type of disease; it's not, it's the common result of a wide variety of possible problems.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987

Looks like SV is getting a little testy...

Unread Today, 03:43

Lead Community Moderator

It will be up when it is up (and fixed), in the mean time it will stay down.

Closed

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Ah well. Surprised I am not, but it might explain why they didn't announce this a week or 2 in advance. Why don't they have a test server? I mean like a private rack(but smaller scale) with the exact same code that is on the live? Kinda odd at this point they wouldn't do something like that considering how often this seems to happen to them.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

I would think all of you could stand the time away from gaming that its going to take SV to fix the problem. Heaven forbid you only get to game 10 hours in a row instead of 12. Calm down.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by donjuanagain

I would think all of you could stand the time away from gaming that its going to take SV to fix the problem. Heaven forbid you only get to game 10 hours in a row instead of 12. Calm down.

That's funny. Funnier is the main complaints is from someone who doesnt play the game at all, so i wonder why the server being down is bothering him so much?

I was going to try the trial, but the server is down, oh well, I'll come back in a week and check.

• HipsterHipster Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by headen

Ah well. Surprised I am not, but it might explain why they didn't announce this a week or 2 in advance. Why don't they have a test server? I mean like a private rack(but smaller scale) with the exact same code that is on the live? Kinda odd at this point they wouldn't do something like that considering how often this seems to happen to them.

They do have a private test server.. but that the trouble. They only have a handful of people to test the patch.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

I totally expected this to happen as it happens to all small indie companies when they put out a major patch.

People need to learn from past experiences and stop expecting a brand new patch to come out with no problems.

However I do think that SV need to invest in a larger test server like Xsyon has where they can test things a bit more before releasing.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

bahn dawn or not, SV remains SV...

Update on the server issue (well.. kind of):

Server is currently up, apparently testing some fix.   Unfortunately, if you are near a town or city or logged out on a mount you will continuously crash upon entering game.  

Still no update from SV since the one from Discord linked in the OP.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

Originally posted by Saorlan

I totally expected this to happen as it happens to all small indie companies when they put out a major patch.

People need to learn from past experiences and stop expecting a brand new patch to come out with no problems.

However I do think that SV need to invest in a larger test server like Xsyon has where they can test things a bit more before releasing.

I really hate when people play the "it's indie card".  You would never buy any other under funded, poor customer service having, poor product quality having company.  Why is it limited to gaming.  You would not go to the local indie clothing store if the clothes may one day be good in a year or two if people keep giving them money, and the customer service was crap. 

Also this problem is not just major patches.  From Block A any patch from small to big SV puts out is full of problems, new exploits, and a dupe here and there. 

• WarsaurusWarsaurus Member Posts: 37

I honeslty don't understand all of the complaints here.  Yes, the servers are down because the expansion had bugs.  It's not the end of the world, and in fact, if you expected the expansion not to have server bugs and downtime then you are very naive. As long as the servers don't stay off for 2-3 days at a time, then it's really not that big of a deal.

I've almost never seen a game launch an expansion without a few problems.  For example, World of Warcraft; The Burning Crusade. Turalyon server (And it's entire group) was un-playable for 4-5 days, and laggy for two weeks after the expansion hit. And I would consider WoW a very high quality game QA wise, and even they hit snags.  1 Day of downtime isn't anything to complain about . =)

(Disclaimer; If the downtime continues for more than 48 hours without feedback from the Devs, or at least attempted re-starts, then yes, scream and yell, but not within the first day or so.)

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

Is it normal that I can't patch/download the client while the server is down?

The only message I get is: "Download error (404)".

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Not surprising. The devs have proved, long time ago, that they are not up to the task of creating and running an MMORPG. Was it not for a small but fanatical followal this game would have shut down a long time ago.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I'm pretty sure everyone expected there to be some issues with the release of this expansion. I'm not surprised and I'm not worried. I know SV is working on fixing the problems and the game will be back in good shape soon.

{mod edit}

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

This release is a simple example of when you have bad code at the bottom of all of this, you can't build good code on top and expect it to work at all.

Compare it to a house with a leaky foundation. You can build a great kitchen extension, a patio, etc... and then find out your house is sinking on one side and everything else breaks because of it. This is the state of Mortal Online.

It's not about fixing "one bug", it's about saying well, we need this game to be usable and playable, and we need to fix the core issues. The problem is of course, that the developers have no ability to fix these issues because they simply don't have the experience or knowledge to do so. Sebastian is an Unreal modder who is the "lead programmer" and has never programmed *anything* in his life.

I am just waiting on the blame to be placed on Epic Games, yet again.

• HipsterHipster Member Posts: 69

This release is a simple example of when you have bad code at the bottom of all of this, you can't build good code on top and expect it to work at all.

Compare it to a house with a leaky foundation. You can build a great kitchen extension, a patio, etc... and then find out your house is sinking on one side and everything else breaks because of it. This is the state of Mortal Online.

It's not about fixing "one bug", it's about saying well, we need this game to be usable and playable, and we need to fix the core issues. The problem is of course, that the developers have no ability to fix these issues because they simply don't have the experience or knowledge to do so. Sebastian is an Unreal modder who is the "lead programmer" and has never programmed *anything* in his life.

So, they are a small company with talent that is less than average. We all know this.  Its been stated by everyone countless times and proven be SV time after time. 

Yet I and others still sub. Is it because Im stupid? Is it because I wouldnt know a good MMO if it bit me? Or perhaps it is because I know what else is out there at the current time. And alot of those games have talented programmers and alot of capital. Thats what I am surprised about. The headline is that all these companies with funds are making crap.

I will take a mortal online with crappy code and low-skilled employess over a face-roller themepark with " dyn*amic* c*ont*ent" any day of the week.

Originally posted by Hipster

So, they are a small company with talent that is less than average. We all know this.  Its been stated by everyone countless times and proven be SV time after time. 

Yet I and others still sub. Is it because Im stupid? Is it because I wouldnt know a good MMO if it bit me? Or perhaps it is because I know what else is out there at the current time. And alot of those games have talented programmers and alot of capital. Thats what I am surprised about. The headline is that all these companies with funds are making crap.

I will take a mortal online with crappy code and low-skilled employess over a face-roller themepark with " dyn*amic* c*ont*ent" any day of the week.

Let's keep this thread for discussion of the "unforseen issues" with the Dawn expansion.  If you would like to discuss the merits of giving indy deveopers a lower threshold of acceptability it was pretty much covered here: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5163/Grinds-My-Gears-On-the-Subject-of-Indy-Games.html

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

There appear to be some rational players: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62808-come.html

Old Today, 10:20

default Come on

Im am amazed by peoples reaction to Dawns release (and crash), really. SV are a small company who develops a great game. You seriously dont think they have done as good testing as they can with their small team before they realesed it?

Come on.

Cut them some slack please. They are clearly in this buisness because they have a passion for it. Think ahead, there are no other game out there now that really compares to MO, in my opinion it well worth supporting through its ups AND its downs. You guys (that whine ) pay 15 dollars and expect the impossible.

Cautus is offline Add to Cautus's Reputation Report Post

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Hipster

Wow, you compared something that's crap to something that's even crappier to make it look good. Original.

It's quite the same for persons or companies, if you set your goal low, your result will be low. If your goal is to make a better game than the crappiest themepark mmo on the market, okay. Does that make your product good? No.

I just love the "x is still better than y" arguement.