Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online next-gen mmorpg? video inside!

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Interesting discussion on this topic from the official forums here:  http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62722-prototype-video.html

The majority so far prefer the version shown in the video to today's version...

BTW... for those disputing it's roots as a MOD, just look at 2:40

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

What game is that?

I win!!! LOL@U

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Considering the state of beta, I really have hard time believing that was one of their earlier stage of development.

Originally posted by Toferio

Considering the state of beta, I really have hard time believing that was one of their earlier stage of development.

or the released game for that matter

I win!!! LOL@U

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

It doesn't matter...

Mortal Online is run by Henrik, who absolutely cannot balance a checkbook, let alone a game. (2 poison daggers, leather armor and stalking..?  Nope!)

So don't let the fancy video fool you, the game has gone in so many directions, because the owner/manager is listening to 17 year olds, not following any plan. SV could at least listen to the many seasoned adults who had baseline suggestions for this game..  to set a good foundation on. Instead, we got more fluff and non-essential content.

Mortal Online will never go anywhere until SV gets ride of their clunky database and horrible weight system.

Cliff Notes: MO is a kiddie game aimed at Clans (not guilds) who want to mindlessly camp each other in mini-zergs.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Interesting discussion on this topic from the official forums here:  http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62722-prototype-video.html

The majority so far prefer the version shown in the video to today's version...

BTW... for those disputing it's roots as a MOD, just look at 2:40

Old Today, 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artorius View Post

Can you please release that game in the video, I'll buy it!

Rofl ! All said there.

Thank you for reading, Mauzi.

Did you know: There's no archery without drawbacks...

LOL...I thought that was the Dawn expansion and almost signed up

I win!!! LOL@U

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Aye, that video really highlights the sacrifices open-world seamless single-server MMORPG's have to endure due to their world-wide nature.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

2:13 karate kick?image

Originally posted by funkmastaD

Aye, that video really highlights the sacrifices open-world seamless single-server MMORPG's have to endure due to their world-wide nature.

It's the same issue that Vanguard had (which I believe used an earlier version of the same engine).  It's not really seamless since there are nodelines which actually serve the purpose to stitching the "chunks" together.  That's what a seam does.. it joins two pieces together.  To say it was "seamless" would imply that there are no chunks.. which is untrue.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

It's the same issue that Vanguard had (which I believe used an earlier version of the same engine).  It's not really seamless since there are nodelines which actually serve the purpose to stitching the "chunks" together.  That's what a seam does.. it joins two pieces together.  To say it was "seamless" would imply that there are no chunks.. which is untrue.

Ugh... Semantic quibles are incredibilly dull, especially so online...  There's no instanced zones, no loading screens, it's all one big world.  

Hows that?  I've witnessed most of that stuff in other MMOs

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Hows that?  I've witnessed most of that stuff in other MMOs

Like what?  Other than the stuff that's currently in MO of course.

So is this the what they used to make the original scripted trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

I win!!! LOL@U

• davidemo89davidemo89 Member UncommonPosts: 59

No, this is a Teaser. It's in-game technology but rendered (maybe 1-2fps)

Originally posted by davidemo89

No, this is a Teaser. It's in-game technology but rendered (maybe 1-2fps)

So this wasnt using the same technology?  ie Unreal

Neither seem representative of what was released.

I win!!! LOL@U

Ugh... Semantic quibles are incredibilly dull, especially so online...  There's no instanced zones, no loading screens, it's all one big world.  

It's not a quibble.  You said "seamless".  There are obviously seams.  That is where the various "chunks" are stitched together.  The very definition of a seam.   Non instanced zones.. OK thats certainly true.. but not exactly unique.

Anyhow.. Seamless or not,  the point was simply that many current players have professed a preference for the pre-alpha version of the game as opposed to what exists today.. 1 year post launch.

It's not a quibble.  You said "seamless".  There are obviously seams.  That is where the various "chunks" are stitched together.  The very definition of a seam.   Non instanced zones.. OK thats certainly true.. but not exactly unique.

Never said it was unique...

edit:  Nevermind, I find myself being dragged off topic... bizarre...

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

This prototype puts current MO to shame rofl...

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

The only way Mortal Online and Next Generation go together is

"Damn that mortal online game won't be done until my daughter's generation is my age"

(lame, i know...)

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

The only way Mortal Online and Next Generation go together is

"Damn that mortal online game won't be done until my daughter's generation is my age"

(lame, i know...)

Lame, but true.

• kallearseskallearses Member Posts: 44

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/11/star-vault-releases-mortal-online-dawn-features-list-new-videos/2#c34277092

wtf the people there saying the prototype video looks like crap. i am really confused now..

mmorpg-community vs. massively  different opinions? oO

Originally posted by kallearses

wtf the people there saying the prototype video looks like crap. i am really confused now..

The Massively people seem to have never played Mortal.  Which means they are just looking at the graphics so of course just looking at the two videos you would pick the shiny new one.   Folks that actually played the game would see things in teh first video like a somewhat functional AI... the troll that picks up a player and shakes then smashes him to the ground, idle animations, turning animation for mounts, mobs that can swim, a city that while apparently built from 2d still looked much larger than what exists today... many even thought it was a Tindrem prototype.

Again.. it's not MMORPG.com... simply read the thread on the official forums I linked above where the current subscribers discuss everything I listed above.   It's more a matter of people who played the game.. seeing the video.. and being reminded of potential that went unfulfilled.

The Massively people seem to have never played Mortal.  

Yup, this forum has exclusive rights to play/comment on MO  ;)

perhaps the people as Massively don't have the same agenda as some posters here,so they're not as hellbent on making present-day MO sound bad by comparison... well, I thought the prototype video looked pretty... wierd too.  The swimming mobs were cool, but that city looked like an uninventive Morin Khur and rest just seemed a bit buggy... not to hate a pre-pre-pre-pre alpha video of course.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

lol

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

The Massively people seem to have never played Mortal.  

Yup, this forum has exclusive rights to play/comment on MO  ;)

perhaps the people as Massively don't have the same agenda as some posters here,so they're not as hellbent on making present-day MO sound bad by comparison... well, I thought the prototype video looked pretty... wierd too.  The swimming mobs were cool, but that city looked like an uninventive Morin Khur and rest just seemed a bit buggy... not to hate a pre-pre-pre-pre alpha video of course.

...sigh, yes everyone has an agenda here. Possibly including yourself? But, I'm sure that's A-OK. I really wished you didn't include this type of comment in your remarks, it doesn't help you and your point at all.

On topic: there are plenty of remarks making sure you all understand they are talking about the second video.