Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAWN Expansion Notes 8 June

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Star Vault has released the overall expansion notes for Dawn today.

These are some of the major changes/additions:

General:

- House friend system.

Each house owner will have the option to add friends to his house. This friend will not be trespassing inside of the house anymore when accepted by the house owner. They will also be able to sleep and log out safely in the house. This system also adds better security of our player houses. If the doors are closed and locked, no other player will be able to enter the house. A player who sneaked in the house will not be able to log out inside of the house.

- Task/transport system.

The task system is a new system that allows the players to accept tasks from other players for a reward, or add their own tasks for other players. This is a good way for any players to accept a transport task to start making some money in the game. This system will be expanded to allow for new and different task types in the near future.

- Gene system.

The Gene system is a very complex feature in Dawn and is applied to all horses of Nave with the initial launch. All creatures will eventually be within the gene system. The Gene system in short is based on real-life breeding; the animal breeds within their group and passes on the attributes from their parents. After Dawn, breeding will be enabled for the players so that they can create their own unique mount types by breeding different attributes/looks and features to build a breed which fits their play-style.

- Dynamic Mounts

The mounts have been fully rewritten in Dawn to make them dynamic and a creature of their own in the game.

Each mount has unique stats and appearance that their parents pass on to their young ones. At some rare times a mutation may occur within a flock which gives a very different attribute/appearance to the animal.

Each horse has different levels on their intelligence, dexterity, strength, constitution and speed that determines many different things in their behaviors. For instance if they are not too smart they can only remember a few actions from their owner at the time, making them somewhat hard to control effectively. A smarter animal can react and understand its actions faster and more efficiently. They also react to the environment and other players/creatures; if they get scared they will show an expression in a few different ways to indicate that they do not like the situation or the threat nearby. It can even rear (stand on two legs), making the owner to lose control for a short moment. In some cases it is important to have the right gear on your mount. For instance, eye pads to make it blind on the sides, armor to protect it from damage, or different bag sizes to carry items so long as your mount is strong enough. All mounts have their own “mount gear window” that allows you to fit any type of gear on it, which you also can remove just like it was your player character window. When the mount dies it drops the gear on the ground as well.

- Mail system.

The new mail system allows players to send a package to any player; the sender may also request a payment for it. Each package charges a “postal” service fee for the players. This helps players to send/trade things between each and other without having to be online at the same time.

- Alchemy & Cooking

With Dawn we are implementing a new and complex system called cooking. This is tied to many different areas in the game. Each player has a hunger system, which means that you have to monitor your hunger values to be at an optimized form. If you eat very poor and little food you will lose weight, which will alter your attributes in different ways. It’s up to any player to determine if it’s a bad or good effect on his character. There are many different levels of body shape that gives different attribute bonuses or negatives.

The notes detail these and many other features coming with Dawn, which can be found here.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

One note regarding the murder count reset given in the notes - it'll be a one time thing as explained here:

Unread Today, 22:01

CEO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sindas View Post

So resetting murdercount is an option you get? Do you only get the option right when you login after Dawn or do all players keep the option for one use?

Could I, say, kill 500 people, and a year from now, reset my murdercount instead of doing it now?

No we will only allow this command for current players one time only, similar to the change surname once.

As you know, we allow this once for all current players due to we lacked the forgive system we mentioned earlier. This caused many players innocent red, which will now finally get a new chance to play as blue or red with a better control over it.

Henrik Nystrom is offline Add to Henrik Nystrom's Reputation Report Post

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62635-murdercount-reset.html#post1156703

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

I am most looking forward to the expansion being Professional Quality and Bug Free though.  Remember.. they first announced on April 1st that the expansion would be shipped  in 2 weeks.  At that time everything they announced was fully functional in game and bug free.  Since that time they have actually spent 2 months working on it.. so I am confident that THIS time we will get a quality patch/expansion!  I cannot wait to start my trial.. I am actually going to patch the game tonight to be sure I am ready.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I'm not going to be unrealistic - I expect that major patches or expansions will most likely have at least some bugs.  That's been the case with just about every game and game company, from Blizzard on down to the smallest indie.

As long as they put it out with minimal serious bugs, and fix the ones that get through to the live server quickly and efficiently, I'll be happy.  If they can do that, they'll basically be meeting the standard for the launch of an MMO expansion, AAA, indie, or otherwise.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

Where is the 100's of new skills per Henrik?

Originally posted by Rohn

I'm not going to be unrealistic - I expect that major patches or expansions will most likely have at least some bugs.  That's been the case with just about every game and game company, from Blizzard on down to the smallest indie.

As long as they put it out with minimal serious bugs, and fix the ones that get through to the live server quickly and efficiently, I'll be happy.  If they can do that, they'll basically be meeting the standard for the launch of an MMO expansion, AAA, indie, or otherwise.

MO has never had any kind of a content patch that did not have serious bugs too date.

• kallearseskallearses Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

THIS time we will get a quality patch/expansion! 

exactly i cannot wait anymore to test the trial. im just waiting that my eve account is expired to jump on this train. space games wasnt really my taste :(

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

Originally posted by kallearses

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

THIS time we will get a quality patch/expansion! 

exactly i cannot wait anymore to test the trial. im just waiting that my eve account is expired to jump on this train. space games wasnt really my taste :(

I just hope they release it soon so I can fully enjoy it and document my journey like I did last time: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/308348/My-NEW-journey-into-Mortal-Online.html

Not sure if I will have time to do the same thing for the expansion, but I hope so as many seemed to enjoy it!  The patch notes seem a bit underwhelming to me so far.  I didn't really see any surprises in there.  They seem to be hyping the  graphics but the vast majority of people leaving the game are not doing so due to graphics but rather due to lack of compelling gameplay. Maybe they are just saving the good stuff to really surprise the players.  Wouldn't it be great to see Tindrem opened? 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Still one thing missing, content, in terms of new monsters dungeons etc, untill the game has enough to do besides just farming mats, pvp , and crafting then im not intersted, i want more to a game then that.

I agree with this guy.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Every time I see this thread pop up when i click Recent Forum Posts the term fetapults immediately comes to mind.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

Finally all the things I want in an MMO: to sleep, cook, make animals screw, mail things, and have people do menial tasks for me. So essentially this game has evolved from a "hardcore" PVP game to Ranchhand Simulator Extreme Edition.

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

Originally posted by neodavie

Finally all the things I want in an MMO: to sleep, cook, make animals screw, mail things, and have people do menial tasks for me. So essentially this game has evolved from a "hardcore" PVP game to Ranchhand Simulator Extreme Edition.

I've always dreamt of being famer Joe. Now, here's my chance.

When in doubt, troll.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Awaiting this "expansion" in order to finally try the trial. I will base my own opinion on my experience and not some bias "reviews" from some sites and people.

• headenheaden Member UncommonPosts: 229

Originally posted by Nevulus
    Awaiting this "expansion" in order to finally try the trial. I will base my own opinion on my experience and not some bias "reviews" from some sites and people.

I think we can all agree with that sentiment.

• kallearseskallearses Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Nevulus

i dunno why  a mod delete my post but i also can absolutly agree with you. i dont care of reviews of players. my opinion counts and nothing else.

• HipsterHipster Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by neodavie

If you strictly have only PVP... then you reds will just fight other reds and this alone gets boring.  I would think you would want more fluff activities to bring more blues into the game for more revenue and a healthier SV.

A perfect MMO in my opinion is a living breathing world with kingdoms, commoners, traders, crafters, warriors, murderers, explorers, mercenaries, pirates, whores, clergy, bums, architects, priests, seers, magicians.

If all you have are just murderers everywhere it makes for a very shallow game. 

But how you think is entirely all you. I hear Modern warfare is engaging... You should check it out bro.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

There will never be enough players to do that unless a miracle suddently adds an extra 1000 simulaneous players in game.

Therefore, you need NPC's with a good AI in game.

You need real NPC guards,  patrolling and not just popping randomly on demand. You need Quest NPC cause player tasks aren't enough.

You also need faction with NPC's, etc...

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by raff01

There will never be enough players to do that unless a miracle suddently adds an extra 1000 simulaneous players in game.

You need real NPC guards,  patrolling and not just popping randomly on demand. You need Quest NPC cause player tasks aren't enough.

And if SV added all these things would you play?

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by username509

Originally posted by raff01

And if SV added all these things would you play?

no, that was a few examples concerning life in nave. in order for me to play, I would need much more types of mobs, raid targets, dungeons, at least 1 more major continent, if not 2, smaller islands to travel to, and boats.

I really liked DFO for the ability to combine a sustained effort of gathering and crafting that would result in building a huge boat fully armed to rule the coasts, or towers to defend a city etc. It may sound silly, but one of the 1st things I look into the content of a game is boats, cause I think sailing is a major part of medieval fantasy adventuring.

Also I would need the game to be perfectly stable with no more crash as soon as too many people are in an area.

Then hell yes I would play. Dawn does seem to be a really good step in the right direction, but once again some stuff that SV are implementing are imo completely useless and they should focus on more fundamental things.

They've updated the changelog notes for Dawn, adding some new information as it regards the changes with Dawn.

These are some of the changes:

* - Cooking

With Dawn we are implementing a new and complex system called cooking. This is tied to many different areas in the game. Each player has a hunger system, which means that you have to monitor your hunger values (read more below). Cooking is a "light" version of the upcoming Alchemy; it is possible to combine almost any ingredient, and when cooking you are trying to make a dish, no matter if that dish turns out to be edible, delicious, nutritious, disgusting, poisonous or not. Beneath the surface, the Cooking and Hunger system are based on metabolism and calories, meaning different ingredients will affect different attributes (Health, Stamina, Mana) and different builds will require different foods. However despite its complexity and depth the basics are very easy; as long as you eat carbs and fiber (for instance bread, vegetables) for your Stamina Reserve, and fat and protein (for instance meat, butter, oil) for your Health Reserve, you can't really go wrong.

Many new skills are tied to cooking, including of course Cooking and Advanced Cooking, as well as the various cooking appliance skills (Baking Stone, Skewer, Baking Pot, Smoke Box etc). There is also a new subgroup in the Animal Materials group; Flesh Lore, which contains subskills for various meat types (Beef, Fowl, Fish, Seafood, Venison etc). And of course the Botany skills for plants (Agrostology, Carpology, Vegetology etc). Most of these skills are secondary, but will require you to invest points in the main category.

Different skills will affect how information about dishes and ingredients is displayed in the tooltips. For instance both Survival and Cooking will help you to determine the Food Poisoning attribute of an item (which will make you get sick and throw up). Taste Identification is used to identify medicinal or toxicological properties of an item. The higher the skill, the more detailed the "bar" will be; at no skill there won't be a bar, at low skill the bar will only have three "steps", at higher skill the bar may have many more. For instance this means that at low skill you might see that an item is Food Poisonous because it is "somewhere" in the upper region of the bar, but you won't be able to compare it to other ingredients which are also in that range.

Cooking with exotic and/or strange, exclusive, weird, or even poisonous ingredients may not yield better-tasting dishes, but may add Sophistication to them. In later patches Sophistication Points and Sophistication Status will be used in certain areas of the game, so you might as well start to collect those points now!

* - Zoology and Botany

Zoology knowledge skills have been added for all existing creatures and their families as well as for many which are not yet introduced (or does not occur in Myrland). The zoology skills are organized according to the System of Dawning (also known as the Sheut Taxonomy) which is used by most Zoologists in Nave, and may be rather confusing for novices. You can learn about a specific branch of animals and then delve deeper into classes, orders, families and genera. Or vice versa; start to learn about a specific animal, which in turn will make you learn more about its biological ancestry as well. Your knowledge of an animal and its parent-classes will add up to increase your butchery yield and carcass (whole animal) alchemy/cooking chances. In the next patch it will also affect combat-related parameters such as attack and defense against the animal, and in later patches taming and/or controlling chances, breeding, and information about the creature.

Botany and its subskills are grouped into Material Lore. Knowledge about a plant's botanical family will increase your alchemy/cooking chances and extraction yield. Milling and Herbalism are Extraction skills that will come in handy when extraction from certain plants and/or ingredients, and there are two new workbenches to learn; Press and Herbologium. You may of course try the "old" workbenches for plants as well, just like the new ones are not limited to plants but will work with any other material.

(Dendrology is now moved into the Botany group. This means that in some cases you might not see the skill until you learn Botany, for instance by chopping a tree, and it will be restricted by your Botany skill level. On the positive side, Dendrology is now a secondary skill, meaning the points you had tied up into it can now be used to get you the whole Botany skillgroup "for free"!)

* - Potions and Vials

The simple cooldown on Potions has been replaced by a Potion system. You now have a bar showing how many units of Potion you can drink. Different Potion Vials can contain various amounts of liquid, and you may decide for yourself how many units to drink from a vial (by aborting the drinking at any time). You may drink until your Potion Bar is completely filled, as long as you have a large enough vial. The Potion Bar will slowly tick down over time.

Whenever you drink a Potion, or some units of it, there will be a short cooldown before you can drink again. Coupled with the Potion Bar, this means you have to choose whether to drink everything at once for maximum effect, but then have to wait until the Bar is depleted enough to drink again, or do it in smaller portions to save the Bar and/or mix different Potions, but suffer a short cooldown for every Potion.

(Empty Vials will be used to make potions in Alchemy in the patches after Dawn. The Potions you come across now will end up in such empty Vials, it's up to you to save them for recycling later or not.)

* - Armor

Two new skills have been added for armors; Armor Training and Heavy Armor Training. Both will increase the maximum amount of Equipment you can wear before your Movement Speed is affected (and slightly increase the overall maximum Equipment Carrying Ability as well). However, wearing heavy equipment will affect your Mana and Stamina Regeneration Rate.

Additionally, the maximum primary skill point total is now 1100.  And there was much rejoicing....

The complete notes can still be found here: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62628-changelog-dawn-expansion-version-1-50-00-00-a.html

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/62813-what-we-like-about-dawn.html

Bahaha, when topics like "what we like about Dawn" show up, you know that it's a REAL fail expansion. When people have to consciously look for something to like. Just like the release day of Gothic 3. :D

Yea so.. the game's pretty screwed but the LOADING SCREEN is damn sweet!