Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't bother

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by strangerdang

Originally posted by Palebane

What you call a learning curve, I call boring and unbalanced gameplay. The only challenge is trying to have a good time, in my opinion.

The problem i see, is you only consider the game fun if you win or dominate.  Im glad APB has a barrier to entry on winning and dominating to keep those who are unable to learn, or unable to enjoy a game win or lose out.

Seeing posts like these, makes me all the more interested in the game.

Completely untrue. I've enjoyed shooter games since Quake 2. I've played APB for almost 50 hours in beta, more than enough time to "get good" in my opinion. I have almost just as much fun losing as I do winning, as long as I learn something new or go down with a fight. APB was fun and refreshing for the first 20 hours or so, but besides the character customization and the music, playing APB was like playing GTA in molasses. Uninspired and incomplete. See for yourself. I admit I have not tried the "new" version, but from most accounts it is unremarkably similar.

Also, I do understand that being good at shooter games in general does not automatically make you good at APB. I was ok at the game before I got bored. Yes it felt like I probably had more to learn, but a lot of what made players better at the game wasn't your aim or your tactics, it was getting over sloppy and unresponsive controls and limited, unengaging, and repetitive missions in order to care about getting better at the game, in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by strangerdang

What you call a learning curve, I call boring and unbalanced gameplay. The only challenge is trying to have a good time, in my opinion.

The problem i see, is you only consider the game fun if you win or dominate.  Im glad APB has a barrier to entry on winning and dominating to keep those who are unable to learn, or unable to enjoy a game win or lose out.

Seeing posts like these, makes me all the more interested in the game.

Completely untrue. I've enjoyed shooter games since Quake 2. I've played APB for almost 50 hours in beta, more than enough time to "get good" in my opinion. I have almost just as much fun losing as I do winning, as long as I learn something new or go down with a fight. APB was fun and refreshing for the first 20 hours or so, but besides the character customization and the music, playing APB was like playing GTA in molasses. Uninspired and incomplete. See for yourself. I admit I have not tried the "new" version, but from most accounts it is unremarkably similar.

Also, I do understand that being good at shooter games in general does not automatically make you good at APB. I was ok at the game before I got bored. Yes it felt like I probably had more to learn, but a lot of what made players better at the game wasn't your aim or your tactics, it was getting over sloppy and unresponsive controls and limited, unengaging, and repetitive missions in order to care about getting better at the game, in my opinion.

your 2.5 years of quake experience are null and void in APB.

Apparently 50hr was NOT enough time for you to learn.

Dont worry, i got about 50hr under my belt and i still blow...but at least i know why, and dont blame the game for it.

So you got bored...learning bores some, as does a challange. No biggie, theres always other games.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Im enjoying this Reload a lot more than the original (Where the N-TEC reigned supreme :P).

Sounds to me you didn't give it an honest go. You even tell people not to bother? Sigh.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

awww, cute. another crying post about a game in beta.

if you can't stand work in progress wait till it's done ffs, can't be that hard.

i actually wonder which part of "beta" was too hard tu understand?

the matchmaking is under heavy work atm, and it's surely not broken, it's just not perfect.

apb offers one of the most interesting match making systems out there atm, i can't remember wow having any kind of match making for PvP, same goes for most other mmos.

APB gives you fast paced combat with a nice ammount of thrill and fun. it's not like normal shooters where you gotta join a server, hope you have the right ammount of people with an idea what they are doing, and not enough cheaters on it, and incase you got no griefers, you might be lucky you found a server to play on for an hour or sth.

APB offers a city district with a (momentary) limit of 100 players (50/50), which are constantly matched against each other in variing groups (and smaller constant teams).

surely, the matchmaking has some problems, but G1 is working quite hard atm to fix it, and there job aint too bad.

as said initially, if you can't stand work in progress, just wait till it's done.

ps: whoever wont try this game can't be helped anyway. it's free, so you have nothing to lose. love it, or leave it again, you didnt spend 60 euro or sth on it so you didn't lost anything but time (on the other side, you have one more experience. experience can never be bad)

this whole thread title is trolling, the court will now go for a break! :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

As i said before APB originally launched, unless it can improve on GTA there is no room for this. GTA just does it so well that APB was doomed to fail the first time and all subsequent times.

Originally posted by Dave3216

As i said before APB originally launched, unless it can improve on GTA there is no room for this. GTA just does it so well that APB was doomed to fail the first time and all subsequent times.

aye post me a link of the GTA mmo, curious to see if it is better than APB.

hope it has an extensive customization, clothes, cars,theme music, and persona personal detailing like in APB...i spend hours making "crafing" unique stuff in APB and its possibly my favorite aspect of the game.  Its how crafting should be imo.

either way, toss me that GTA mmo link, im interested either way.

• swattersswatters Member Posts: 6

APB is a lot of fun. On one hand it doesn't take a lot of work to get into non-stop action but on the other hand it is very competitive so the skilled players will crush you, repeatedly.  That gives you something to work for.  As for the mission content being repetitive I don't see that as an issue because the missions exist to facilitate PvP.

If you're into PvE or being able to excel at a game within 2 days of playtime then APB isn't for you.  If it isn't for you that doesn't mean it "sucks" or is "horrible".  If you enjoy it that doesn't make you a "fanboi". 

It's free so give it a try understanding that you will get your ass kicked and probably for a long time.  With that mindset you might enjoy it.  If not you didn't lose a dime.

Granted GTA has multiplayer and is not a MMO, but show  me the link where APB hasnt failed.

Granted GTA has multiplayer and is not a MMO, but show  me the link where APB hasnt failed.

oh

just trolling then?

nope not trolling obviously you cant accept the game failed and will fail again because it doesnt do anything better than GTA or second life for that matter both games are the top of their genre and APB borrows from both and does neither better or even as good. F2P for a reason.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Dave I just wanted to pop in here and say DAM your ISP sucks.  I feel for ya bro.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• vknidvknid Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by spfil

I spent three days working on it. I wasn't expecting to win as soon as I logged in, I was however expecting with tim... You know what. Screw it. Too many fanbois with hurt feelings who can't read.

wait, you spent.... three .... WHOLE DAYS playing it?  as in THREE(3) days? holy crap man, thats a crap ton of time spent actually playing, did you hurt yourself? =P

Seriously though, the game plays fine.  It's just like any other game out there though..  either you love it or you hate it.  You seem to at the very least dislike it.  Just move on.  You're not going to prove anything to the fanboys out there.

Obviously you're entitled to your opinion.  But trying to prove your point, you're just wasting your breath.

To those that walk into APB thinking it will play like any standard MMO out there, you will be sorely disappointed and QQ over how bad it is compared to other MMOs.  For one, because it's NOT like regular MMO's.  It's not meant to be played as a PvE game.  PvP is where it shines.

Go into APB with the mindset where it plays more like a FPS..  i.e. TF2, Battlefield Series etc etc.  Also EXPECT to DIE A LOT.  If you tend to rage hard over in-game deaths.  APB will probably raise your blood pressure to unhealthy levels.  This game FEEDS ON YOUR RAGE.

Is APB perfect?  Of course not.  It has a bit to go before it's ANYWHERE NEAR perfect.  But over all, when you get the hang of it, and play for more than a week..  it is a pretty great game for being free to play.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I've never had a problem with this game when it comes to being new player friendly.  I picked it up really easy in the original as well as this version.  Shooting was very easy.  Driving takes some time to learn and get comfortable with, but I never really understood all the complaints about it.  Match-making was never really an issue with me either.  Sure, there were times when I was outranked and outnumbered.  That didn't mean that I was going to lose.  The thing here is, you can leave and join another mission right after.  Losing a mission isn't going to end the world, what's the big deal?  I've also never had any problems with hackers.  Maybe I'm just that good at shooters that I never found any of these common complaints justified.  I've always found it a bit confusing to see all these people saying the game is horrible, when I've never had an issue with it other than the amount of content available.  Two maps seems a bit weak in my opinion, but the core of the game is great.  Maybe I'm strange, or maybe there's just far too many whiners on the interwebs.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

nope not trolling obviously you cant accept the game failed and will fail again because it doesnt do anything better than GTA or second life for that matter both games are the top of their genre and APB borrows from both and does neither better or even as good. F2P for a reason.

Really?  Comparing APB to a single player game and a social game?  Really?

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

its no where near a fps game.

i expected it to play like socom but, its nowhere near that either.

it's a broke back wannabe shooter.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Kebeck

Matchmaking works great.. A few things to consider though..
    - It's easier to play in group.. You'll need a lot of tactics, flanking in APB which you can't do alone..
    - When looking for a group, always try getting people of the same threat level (bronze, silver, gold).. Even with only one gold threat player, you risk on getting matched against other gold players..
    - Use the friend list when you find nice (and good) players in the game.. Before joining a district, check who's online and join their district.. Join their team or send whispers asking to group up with them..
    - If you have a mic.. USE IT.. If you don't, try to give simple indications when you spot ennemies through the group chat..
    - When in missions, don't stay in the open, hug walls, spot covers and move between them.. It's a 3rd person shooters, use the camera at your advantage..
    - Watch the radar.. Ennemies appear on the radar when in cars and when they're shooting..
    - Watch your back.. People like to flank and go around... Unless you have really good teammates, don't ever suppose your back is being watched.
    - Get a primary weapon that fits your playstyle.. If you like going for objectives, get a shotgun or a SMG.. If you're more the support type, get a sniper or a long range gun.. If you're whatever in between, get an assault gun.. It's your best bet...
    - Get a secondary weapon that covers the flaws of your primary gun.. If you have a sniper, go for a short range gun with high fire rate.. If you have a shotgun, try to get a secondary gun that will give you a bit more range..
    - Try to find a good clan with which to team up.. Playing over and over with the same people will give you an edge in battle since you'll have a good idea of what your teammates will do in any given situation.. Again, use your mic..
    - Don't be shy to ask for feedbacks from your clan mates..
    - Finally.. APB is a competitive online shooter.. So unless you're really good, you'll die.. A lot.. And lose games.. And play along complete jerks.. Welcome to the internet.. Remember it's a game and even though you're losing, you're still progressing in the game, though more slowly than when winning..

Now go out there and have fun..

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Aconsar

Having played APB originally I was happy to hear it was coming back and was looking forward to playing the new and improved APB...

Apart from the installation issues which took the best part of seven hours to fix (with advice from other players as the actual game support team does seem to post on the forums) I finally got into the game. Spent 10 minutes or so working on my avatar and then worked through the tutorial.

Well, the game is less laggy then it used to be and the driving does seem better, but the combat? Yeah...it's a joke. This is not a newbie friendly game. I've heard from a lot of people that I just need to persevere and learn all the weaponry? Fuck it, I can't be bothered.

Unless your idea of fun is going into the match system only to get facerolled by vastly better equipped/skilled/leveled opponents then I'd look else where. I've spent the better part of three days now trying to work my way through this and it's just bullshit. If it's one vs one, I lose. My opponent will commonly have three times my threat level and will know the level backwards.

There's no incentive to learn, not at the cost of dealing with a community that seems to have come from League of Legends.

Funny, because I jumped in with no combat experience with a basic character with my friend who was mid silver tier and was killing people who were higher than him.  Maybe you're just bad?

Really? I detect bullshit. The matchmaking system is a joke, it really is.

i have to agree matchmaking sytem too often picks players more higher an equipment and rank than you are, also amount of hacks and ers is shit. its a good game i like counter strike vs gta vs need for speed kinda combination.

punkbuster is not really number one software i would use eventho i think there is no protection for twats to program always more hacking software so wea are in limbo. if the game dont include very active gm working . also seems to me that g1 is not gona bother to erase or monitor so much for hacking anyways.

cheers

• pezitpezit Member UncommonPosts: 63

Don't bother? Because you cannot handle losing other people shouldn't try the game? Please go back to random PvE game where everyone is a winner because obviously this game is not for you :)

• DreebDreeb Member UncommonPosts: 3

I don't see why some people are having so much trouble with this game, I started playing a few days ago and once you get the hang of it, you can hold your own as long as this is not your first shooter.

Perhaps the people that are complaining about constantly getting facerolled are the standard fare MMO players who are accustomed to your typical selected target MMO pvp. With the possible exception of percussion grenades and other explosives, unlocked weapons do not seem very overpowered to me when compared to the newb items.

This game barely qualifies as a MMO in my opinion, this game has a closer resemblence to the battlefield series than it does most MMO's I've played. So if you wouldn't expect to jump into battlefield and do well, don't expect it here, especially with matchmaking the way it is currently, but it's beta.

Ever since GTA3 came out when I was a kid, I dreamed of a game that played like GTA but was massively online where you could run around a city and do missions against other real players. All things considered, I think this game does an excellent job of fulfilling that role, and while there are still some issues to be worked out, this game is a gem even it in its current state.

Bottom line, if you can't stand losing and trying to get better, good riddance. I'd hate to see how you fair in a game like League of Legends.

• RhianneRhianne Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by Dreeb

Ever since GTA3 came out when I was a kid...

GTA3: 2002 for Windows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III

Which means you're still a kid.

Originally posted by Rhianne

Originally posted by Dreeb

Ever since GTA3 came out when I was a kid...

GTA3: 2002 for Windows. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_III

Which means you're still a kid.

I'm 28...

And that's a pretty ironic thing to say considering what an immature argument tactic that is. Are you implying that if I was a kid then my argument would be irrelevent based on that fact?

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

I want to play this game now.  The positive posts seem to point out that it's a challenging game, not for the casual gamer and takes more than just pressing down your mouse button and spraying bullets at your enemy to win.

It also sounds like even some sparkly super weapons can be outmatched by guns you get near the start of the game so it's not unbalanced in the gear aspect.

I always loved customization, giving myself that unique look in a game, so that's a big smiley face from me.

Apparently some sort of match making system is unfair blah blah and they're working on perfecting it.  Really haven't heard any issues and this matchmaking thing will apparently be a great benefit in the future.

What's the community like then?  If it requires time, tactics and an actual brain to play the game surely at the top end, when I've learned to play, I could expect some generally clever people to be around?  It's not a huge downfall if there's the usual internet community there, 90% are trolling flamers and 10% are genuinely fun smart people, just curious.

Originally posted by futnatus

I want to play this game now.  The positive posts seem to point out that it's a challenging game, not for the casual gamer and takes more than just pressing down your mouse button and spraying bullets at your enemy to win.

It also sounds like even some sparkly super weapons can be outmatched by guns you get near the start of the game so it's not unbalanced in the gear aspect.

I always loved customization, giving myself that unique look in a game, so that's a big smiley face from me.

Apparently some sort of match making system is unfair blah blah and they're working on perfecting it.  Really haven't heard any issues and this matchmaking thing will apparently be a great benefit in the future.

What's the community like then?  If it requires time, tactics and an actual brain to play the game surely at the top end, when I've learned to play, I could expect some generally clever people to be around?  It's not a huge downfall if there's the usual internet community there, 90% are trolling flamers and 10% are genuinely fun smart people, just curious.

It's difficult for me to speak for the community because I have a friend that I play with all the time, we just team up and run missions together on skype, and man is it FUN. This game is really great for teaming up with friends, as you are not restricted by quest lines like most MMO's. (None of the "Are you on this quest? No? Oh well ok thx for group kbye!")

I'm sure if you are fun to play with, you will find other fun people to play with as well. I willl say though, I see district chat all the time with "GG", "nice match", "close one", etc etc.

This game is F2P so get out of the forums already and get playing! You have nothing to lose. :)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

APB:Reloaded is currently P2W. On top of that, the cheaters/hackers are having a hay-day. The group of people I play with decided it is not worth the headaches.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95

I didn't even do the tutorials... and I did fine. If u are an FPS gamer, this game is easy. The weapons in APB hardly have recoil... lol. And it doesn't matter if u dont know the mission objective, just kill and do what they ask. All i hear is QQ, without strategies on APB, you are going to get facerolled 

asdasdasd