Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mining and Sci-Fi games needs more fun

I think mining should be changed in games like Eve and Perpetuum. I think you should be able to have a mining mechanic that allows you to remotely manage a mining vehicle from a combat vehicle.

Instead of dedicating a whole character to mining in games like Eve and Perpetuum should have robots that can be purchased and lvled up and trained to fly mining vehicles. Like you can tell it to your robot pilot to undock and tell it to go to this belt and then mine this asteroid and then you can more easily defend your mining ships while it mines. Some people just do this with 2 accounts but it might be nicer if you could have 1 account watch the belt while one account camps a gate with your alliance, all the while both accounts are mining.

I think it is good to point out that combat is the primary function in every mmo and most mmo's allow mining on a pure combat character with no draw backs. I think it should be the case with games like Eve and Perpetuum as well. That might be a better way to go for new player retention too.

Firefall is kind of introducing this idea with the guarding of a mining instillation missions. Every one has fun fighting off hordes of bugs while the mining installation does the mining.

You just need to have different grades of sights for mining to fit every circumstance; like solo mining and group low lvl mining as well as really hard mining with big rewards.

There really needs to be more fun in the whole mining thing in Sci-Fi games IMO.

Sci-Fi games should not be boring man! Get your brains turning on this devs.

Comments

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

I was thinking too that in a game like Darkfall and Mortal there should be a detachment from mining as well, because it is really not fair that I have to stare at a rock and wait for the mining cycle to end while people can sneak up on me easily and kill me with hardly any effort.

I think a better way would be to drop a mining gadget that does the mining while I hide and wait for some one to run by so I can gank them. That is a better scenario to me. Let me drop a bunch of mining gadgets and do patrol rounds to see if I can try to catch someone trying to steal my ore. Then the battle is on!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

To me Star Wars Galaxies had and still has the best mining feature of any MMORPG.

But perhaps that's to complex (lol) for the majority of player image

But then again I do feel the majority doesn't give much crap to mining or crafting, else wouldn't we have seen improved/evolved mining/crafting systems in A-tittle MMORPG, or perhaps improving and evolving means simplifying features?

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

I hated scanning for hours on end for good material but you could just set and forget mining installations in SWG which was sweet. Except to mine asteroids in SWG you had to be fitted for it and there was no asteroid installation which is fail IMO. Though it was interesting actually having to chase down chunks that flew off the asteroid. I think they could have just as easily let us use regular blasters for mining. Then you would be combat ready at least. But who wants to chase down chunks of asteroids when you could be fighting enemies that fire back? That's what I say :)

SWG had/has the best crafting system that i can think of really though. It's a shame it has never been improved on.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Seconded on SWG having the best system.

The bulk of the player's work was proespecting to find a good resource type, and then scouting out to finde a good concentration of it to drop a harvestor on. It was very interactive and required skill, thought, and planning to do well at. The actual harvesting was left to automated harvestors that you just needed to keep powered, maintained, and empty the hopper every now and then so it didn't get full and stop. Of course the resources shifted every few days to a week, so you had repeat the process every so often.

tl;dr, it took the boring part out, and left the interesting part in.