Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Immersion in video games.

PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

This poll is for all games in general, but with particular consideration to Online RPGs.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I voted the  second to last option (books and movies). With that said, a good single player RPG can get me immersed into the world. Never for an mmo, too many immersion breaking things going on, like other people.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I voted the  second to last option (books and movies). With that said, a good single player RPG can get me immersed into the world. Never for an mmo, too many immersion breaking things going on, like other people.

That's a good point. On the other side of the coin, I wonder if for some players, the other people are their main form of immersion.  Some players are very good at being in character but ultimately, perhaps the environment has to be immersive in order to foster such imagination.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by DJJazzy

That's a good point. On the other side of the coin, I wonder if for some players, the other people are their main form of immersion.  Some players are very good at being in character but ultimately, perhaps the environment has to be immersive in order to foster such imagination.

That really depends on the person.

Personally, I have a very low treshold for immersion and can usually multitask immersion activities with immersion breaking activities.   So I am able to play my dwarf warrior as a bad tempered bundle of aggression who wields battle axes at groin level of taller races and at the same talk to a guildie on voice chat about the problems the guildie has about visitation rights for his kids.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Books & movies mostly because they can have higher character plot stories.  There are a few single player games that did a good job but IMO mmo's don't even come close to immersing me.  Perhaps Tor can break that mold.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...