Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic has been sold

13»

Comments

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

nahh FE isnt f2p yet but we all know it will be soon considering the servers are now gonna be hosted by gamers first.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

I give up.

Cancelling my account now.... I put too much effort and money and got very little fun out of it...

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Phry

doesnt PW just run F2P games? .. if anything i would expect all the current cryptic games to switch to that model over the next few months... i think it was probably inevitable that STO would go F2P though..image

Works for me.  I wonder how much a starship upgrade will cost in the cash shop :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by fatboy21007

nahh FE isnt f2p yet but we all know it will be soon considering the servers are now gonna be hosted by gamers first.

There is only one shard, while it is stil a sub game I am sure the free to play is comming soon.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by akiira69

Personally I wish it was picked up by a company like BioWare.

I'd rather see Bioware have about a year's worth of post SW:TOR launch experience (since this will be their first MMO) and then get a license to do their own Star Trek MMO, rather than trying to clean up after Cryptic.

Voices in my head tell me that if Bioware makes a second MMO this will be set in the Mass Effect universe.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

Dammit..  Hate perfect world..  Cancelling my account.

Simply refuse to support that company.

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Shodanas

Voices in my head tell me that if Bioware makes a second MMO this will be set in the Mass Effect universe.

More than likely so; given the choice though, I would have liked to have seen Bioware do either a Star Trek or Forgotten Realms MMO. Bioware's focus on the story would have been a good fit for Star trek, though they would have to drop the 'space on rails' junk.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Originally posted by fatboy21007

bad month. Cryptic got bought out by PWI and Fallen Earth is now being hosted by gamerfirst. Ahh lets face it guys n gals p2p is vanishing now. f2p is the new working system :-(

It's not quite vanishing; remember that many of those games converting over are going the hybrid route. As long as I have the option to get (mostly) everything with a subscription, I'll still play. If they all become pay to win games, where my subscription doesn't really matter in the long run, then forget it.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

This is a sad aquisition, seeing the vision that Cryptic once had go downhill over the years and now to the point that PWI buy them. One of THE last companies id ever want them to be involved with.

RIP Cryptic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

More than likely so; given the choice though, I would have liked to have seen Bioware do either a Star Trek or Forgotten Realms MMO. Bioware's focus on the story would have been a good fit for Star trek, though they would have to drop the 'space on rails' junk.

No way. It is too close to Star wars so they would just compete with themselves. It would be the world from Dragon age instead.

I agree that FR would be best, an online version of Baldurs gamte would be awesome.

Star trek just wont happening. I frankly don't think Bioware can pull that off either, Star trek is provbably the hardest IP there is, it is more soap opera with the characters than it is action and games like that doesn't fit well as MMOs.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

I'd rather see Bioware have about a year's worth of post SW:TOR launch experience (since this will be their first MMO) and then get a license to do their own Star Trek MMO, rather than trying to clean up after Cryptic.

This statement makes me want to hyperventilate!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• stevengwstevengw Member Posts: 53

homer crying

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Originally posted by krondin

I played PWI < perfect world international > when it went live in north america. Loved it...but it had some bugs and customer service that rivals SOE. I got so upset with customer service i quit playing PWI. If this is true that they now have aquired cryptic, and i am a lifetime sub of star trek online, then i will simply never log into STO again. i refuse to do business with Sony and i refuse to do business with PWI.  I also recomend highly that you avoid these companys games and products at all costs. I dont even buy sony products in the stores < even thou i know its different divisions of sony > , due to the way i was treated as a customer of EQ1 of 5 yrs play.   Nor will i play anything from PWI again either.  I simply refuse to deal with such companys who dont care about thier customers. < even thou PWI is free to play, i used the cash store, i spent over 250 USD in 6 months of play, that wasnt a problem, thier customer service was the problem! >

I am 46 yrs old. I dont cause problems in games for other players, i dont sell gold, or sell items for real money, i dont abuse glitches for personal gains, i am an honest person in RL and in games.  I am not ranting above to vent frustrations, i am simply telling you from personal experiences that these companys will gladly take your money, not deliver on written promises or service, and insult you when you ask for help.

< i was told it was a chinese translation misunderstanding by a friend, but PWI without cursing me basically told me to go F myself, they were not going to help me with my problem in thier game even thou they had admitted the problem openly and said they would assist players whom this broken mechanic caused problems for......HA! simply not true.......Hence those companys do not get anymore of my money or any of anyone i can convince not too also! >

i played perfect world in the past. while some sort of server transfer on their side messed up my character wich made me unable to login for about 6 to 7 days. I contacted costumer service and they instantly fixed it and gave my acount with 50 euro worth of ingame currency. while it is a free to play game and i had not spend any money on the cash shop at the time it happened they gave me 50 euro worth of ingame currency becouse i couldnt play their game i did not pay a dime for and the problem was that i couldnt login and i waited for like 4 days before i contacted their support so it could have been fixed faster.

this is in my point of vieuw the best costumer service you can get lol.. i would have been happy if they just fixed the problem and did not even think about getting ingame currency worth of 50 euro for it...

• Echo08Echo08 Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by saxifr

This statement makes me want to hyperventilate!

If bioware does a Mass Effect universe.... and the combat has the same feel as ME2.....  that's got my attention.  I'm burnt out on rift (just tired of fantasy stuff) and STO was very disappointing on all levels but character creation.... a good implementation of the ME universe with ships (not on rails!)... I would spend money on that.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I forsee alot of crying lifetimers of this game, for this company makes money by the cash shop, no way are they going to have a bunch of lifers reaping all benefits of the game for free and have no income from them.

Bye Bye lifers.

Of course this is my opinion.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by sibs4455

I forsee alot of crying lifetimers of this game, for this company makes money by the cash shop, no way are they going to have a bunch of lifers reaping all benefits of the game for free and have no income from them.

Bye Bye lifers.

Of course this is my opinion.

Nah , it just going play to win , that's just going to force the LTS'ers to spend money . It won't start that way , they'll get enough in game currency at the beginning , but then thein game prices will slowly rise. Your dollar will buy more and more in game currency , but their points will remain static and become worth less and less. Inflation, but only to the LTS'ers. It's simple and easy to pull off , and if they complain , they can leave and PW won't shed a tear. 

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Well forget another Startrek MMO for now (I put in the boat with Stargate online, good ideas but I dont think they execute well as MMO's in the current player preffered ie:WoW style formats) but a Bioware D&D MMORPG would be awesome.

Of Course for that to happen Turbine would have to lose their case against Atari and/or Atari would have to lose their case to Hasbro reverting the D&D CRPG rights to Hasbro who would hopefully have the sense to realise D&D CRPG's had their best success under Bioware with assistance from black isle/obsidian and I doubt anyone can really argue against EA having one of the better publishing & distribution networks in gaming.

If the Devs at Bioware are keen to explore new ground under the D&D licence perhaps they could even pick the recently revived Darksun setting which has a lot of potential without all the likely continuity issues associated with Faerun (even after the recent partial reboot of Faerun there is still a lot of history and continuity issues).

Come on Bioware I want to play a Mul Gladiator :)

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Well forget another Startrek MMO for now (I put in the boat with Stargate online, good ideas but I dont think they execute well as MMO's in the current player preffered ie:WoW style formats) but a Bioware D&D MMORPG would be awesome.

Of Course for that to happen Turbine would have to lose their case against Atari and/or Atari would have to lose their case to Hasbro reverting the D&D CRPG rights to Hasbro who would hopefully have the sense to realise D&D CRPG's had their best success under Bioware with assistance from black isle/obsidian and I doubt anyone can really argue against EA having one of the better publishing & distribution networks in gaming.

If the Devs at Bioware are keen to explore new ground under the D&D licence perhaps they could even pick the recently revived Darksun setting which has a lot of potential without all the likely continuity issues associated with Faerun (even after the recent partial reboot of Faerun there is still a lot of history and continuity issues).

Come on Bioware I want to play a Mul Gladiator :)

Turbine and Atari settled out of court some time back; as for the Hasbro lawsuit, it is still active but they are still apparently in the settlement offer phase. As for a Dark Sun setting? That would be more than acceptable!