Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic has been sold

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Seems like a good investment for PWI cos Cryptic will produce f2p MMO every 2 years. Bad for Cryptic is that their company will turn to a sweatshop company lol.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Great news indeed, now Cryptic can't ruin the great IP of Forgotten Realms with thier Neverwinter.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Torgrim

Great news indeed, now Cryptic can't ruin the great IP of Forgotten Realms with thier Neverwinter.

That's not 100% for sure there; remember that Atari may be able to contract out the NWN (while they still hold the franchise license, anyway).

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

Here is another article on the sale, basically the same as the first: Link

I especially like the following part:

"Cryptic Studios, Inc. is a leading developer of massively-multiplayer online role playing games, with a reputation for delivering profitable, on-time, on-budget titles."

Ceyptic hasn't been a leader since they sold CoH/Cov to NCSoft. Other than CoH/CoV, neither of Cryptic's current MMOs have been all that profitable; if they were, Atari never would have divested Cryptic.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by Dinendae

That's not 100% for sure there; remember that Atari may be able to contract out the NWN (while they still hold the franchise license, anyway).

For the love of god i really hope not that Atari are that dumb and do that.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Actually it would be rather smart of Atari to do that; after all, Cryptic's new owners PW would now have to foot the bill and then give Atari and Hasbro their cuts. This all assumes that PW would even be interested in doing so; after all, NWN isn't going to be a MMO.

• Mr_CyberpunkMr_Cyberpunk Member Posts: 71

In b4 liquidation. It's going to be a rough time in STO now. I regret ever buying this game and subbing. Now the game is owned by a chinese publisher.. great.. just what I needed *sigh*. Well that's pretty much made this game Free2Play now.

I'm joking about the Liquidation lol.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Originally posted by Cacaphony
    Not sure where to post this.  Here seemed as good as any :P.

http://gamutnews.com/20110531/12089/perfect-world-and-atari-announce-agreement-for-the-acquisition-of-cryptic-studios.html

Seems that Perfect World Co. bought Cryptic.  What does this mean for Cryptic?  Well, I don't really know heh heh.  I don't know much about Perfect World Co, but please share your thoughts.

Here is the link to the thread on the STO forums talking about this as well.  Go and see what they have to say!
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=217425

Perfect World are actually far better than Atari

And WAY MORE financially-sound and safe. IF anything, this means that hundreds of millions of dollars are on the way towards cryptic new and old titles and future PWE games will have a jump in graphics(due to the purchase of cryptic engine).

Actually it would be rather smart of Atari to do that; after all, Cryptic's new owners PW would now have to foot the bill and then give Atari and Hasbro their cuts. This all assumes that PW would even be interested in doing so; after all, NWN isn't going to be a MMO.

PWE is quite interested in everything new right now. They are pouring money into Runic Games torchlight franchise, they are planning to expand into movie industry, there are rumors on PS3 console mmo in the works and a sandbox mmo in the works.

Not to mention that for WoTC it would make sense to shfit the rights for that certain title game to Cryptic, since Atari would not even dream in their wettest corporate dreams about the money PWE holds(hint: Atari makes less in a year than PWE in quarter)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Well since Cryptic makes games of F2P crap quality, them being bought by a Chinese company specializing in F2P crap makes sense.  I LOL'd when I read "Cryptic Studios' highly reputable development team" in the press release.  Here's hoping they just bought Cryptic for their generic engine and folds the studio.

Originally posted by Yuui

PWE is quite interested in everything new right now. They are pouring money into Runic Games torchlight franchise, they are planning to expand into movie industry, there are rumors on PS3 console mmo in the works and a sandbox mmo in the works.

Not to mention that for WoTC it would make sense to shfit the rights for that certain title game to Cryptic, since Atari would not even dream in their wettest corporate dreams about the money PWE holds(hint: Atari makes less in a year than PWE in quarter)

Perhaps PW would be interested; then again Torchlight doesn't have a lawsuit hanging over it, that if successful, would revoke all rights to the I.P. Hasbro (which owns WotC) can't shift anything though, not until they win the lawsuit to revoke Atari's rights to the D&D franchise. As for money, ANY company that is in the black, even by $1.00, makes way more money than Atari; Atari has not shown an actual profit for years.

PW does have a large amount of money, but don't do what people did at STO's launch and set your hopes too high; I highly doubt that PW is going to throw hundreds of millions of dollars Cryptic's way. What we should see is a larger budget (compared to what they have now) so that the teams might be able to finally expand, and more than likely a move towards STO going the freemium or ftp route, since that is PW's preferred business model.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

All I have to say about this is "Atleast it wasnt SOE that picked up Cryptic". SOE had their shot at scifi MMO's and they blew it. First with aquiring The Matrix Online(which in their defence was already failing) and second with the release of the NGE patch for SWG. Personally I wish it was picked up by a company like BioWare.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by akiira69

Personally I wish it was picked up by a company like BioWare.

I'd rather see Bioware have about a year's worth of post SW:TOR launch experience (since this will be their first MMO) and then get a license to do their own Star Trek MMO, rather than trying to clean up after Cryptic.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Originally posted by akiira69

All I have to say about this is "Atleast it wasnt SOE that picked up Cryptic". SOE had their shot at scifi MMO's and they blew it. First with aquiring The Matrix Online(which in their defence was already failing) and second with the release of the NGE patch for SWG. Personally I wish it was picked up by a company like BioWare.

Bioware belongs to EA, they're not going to buy anything unless Daddy gives them the cash

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

PW or Atari? 

There was a time when Atari made fun games, about 30 years ago or so. Now getting bought up by PW is actually an improvement.

Both CO and STO are a lot worse than Forsaken world which at least is playable. 

The question is more what PW is thinking, Cryptic have gone bad since they sold CoX. If they can't release the NWN game (which they said should release this year) the studio have very little to come with. 

My guess is that Atari included the Forgotten realms license in this and that is what PW really wanted.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Lol Cryptic. 

Originally posted by Loke666

PW or Atari? 

There was a time when Atari made fun games, about 30 years ago or so. Now getting bought up by PW is actually an improvement.

Both CO and STO are a lot worse than Forsaken world which at least is playable. 

The question is more what PW is thinking, Cryptic have gone bad since they sold CoX. If they can't release the NWN game (which they said should release this year) the studio have very little to come with. 

My guess is that Atari included the Forgotten realms license in this and that is what PW really wanted.

Atari might be allowed to sub-license D&D out, depending on how Atari's own D&D license was written, but they can't include the D&D license as part of any sale; doing so would definately hand Hasbro a victory in their lawsuit to revoke Atari's D&D license. Cryptic has more than CO, STO, and NWN on the table though; remember that there is an as yet unnamed MMO they have been working on as well. As for what PW was thinking, I'm going with the Free Zone columnists thoughts on the matter: They're trying to expand their presence in North America.

Buying Cryptic allows them access to the Cryptic Engine 2.0, CO, STO, and the unnamed MMO, and possibly the NWN Co-Op game. Buying Cryptic also gives them access to the Champions P&P game, which opens up a new market for them if they wish to explore that market.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Airwren

Lol Cryptic. 

I love this !  I sadly must state that as a trek fan the pain will continue. Hopefully new management and house clean is incoming.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Having read the statement . I'm sorry to say, I forsee Cryptic studio's personnel losing their jobs. PW will get up to speed on the engine and move things to China.  The statement seems to indicate that they are more interested in the tech then the IP's. While in itself that isn't significant , they also state they are not in business to lose money and currently Cryptic is bleeding money.  The easiest way to change that is to either close the studio and take the parts or move the studio to a cheaper labor market. Either way the employees to Cryptic will lose. I wish them luck.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Atari might be allowed to sub-license D&D out, depending on how Atari's own D&D license was written, but they can't include the D&D license as part of any sale; doing so would definately hand Hasbro a victory in their lawsuit to revoke Atari's D&D license. 

I don't think they can. I thought that was the reason for the whole Hasbro lawsuit in the first place. Atari was not authorized to permit any kind of sub license or distribution agreements from what I remember. They then went on to grant distribution rights for europe to Hasbro's competitor which is pretty much basis of Hasbro's suit if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I looked it up.

Originally posted by bstiff

I don't think they can. I thought that was the reason for the whole Hasbro lawsuit in the first place. Atari was not authorized to permit any kind of sub license or distribution agreements from what I remember. They then went on to grant distribution rights for europe to Hasbro's competitor which is pretty much basis of Hasbro's suit if I remember correctly. It's been a long time since I looked it up.

I think sub-licensing might be allowed, as in the case of Turbine and DDO. Hasbro's problem with Atari was that Atari sold off it's European distribution to Namco Bandai, which Hasbro considers a direct competitor. This put Hasbro's D&D I.P. directly in the hands off said competitor, something that (according to Hasbro) was directly forbidden in the licensing agreement.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Yep here we go, the next thing I see is.

Star Trek online will be 100% Free 2 Play.

With Cash Shop Items and boosters just like PW's other games or something.

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

bad month. Cryptic got bought out by PWI and Fallen Earth is now being hosted by gamerfirst. Ahh lets face it guys n gals p2p is vanishing now. f2p is the new working system :-(

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by fatboy21007

bad month. Cryptic got bought out by PWI and Fallen Earth is now being hosted by gamerfirst. Ahh lets face it guys n gals p2p is vanishing now. f2p is the new working system :-(

fallen earth hosted by gamerfirst? so is it free to play already?.... i must get this game