Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Server Merges Coming, FAQ Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Age of Conan team has published a handy-dandy FAQ on the topic of server merges coming to the game as devs prepare it for its freemium iteration later this summer. The FAQ details several important questions players might have including characters with the same name on merged servers and issues facing guilds.

And what will happen with guild battlekeeps?

Since build spots for battlekeeps are limited on each server, all build spots will be cleared and guilds will be reimbursed the resources for their battlekeep. This is to make sure that the guild get the needed resources again and every guild gets the same chance.

Read more on the Age of Conan forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 227

Starts today, this might be a good thing or a bad thing. The reality of how many players AoC has  might set in.

I understand why they are doing it I'm just curious if this will backfire when FTP comes out.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by toljar

I understand why they are doing it I'm just curious if this will backfire when FTP comes out.

I think it will backfire, but it will be Funcom's opportunity to make new servers to show the success of the new f2p model.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

What about this quote from their announcement for f2p: "a healthy player base ever since launch in 2008"

Riiiiiiiiight.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by Paradigm68

What about this quote from their announcement for f2p: "a healthy player base ever since launch in 2008"

Riiiiiiiiight.

It was announced a few weeks ago. They improved their server technology, and all EU / US / PvE / PvP players will play on a single EU / US / PvE / PvP server respectively.

REALITY CHECK

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

My only problem with this was they didn't do it before the welcome back campaign they recently had. Tyranny was dead the whole time. Not to mention they took the service down on the last day of that trial to add this, it's saying an expected 24hr DT, I planned on playing today to. WAAAhh

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Interestingly, they chose not to merge the US PVE servers.  They must be doing ok?

• celee2222celee2222 Member Posts: 123

improved server technology?

Il believe that when i see it

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Not sure why a highly instanced game like AoC ever needed more than one server of each type in the first place.

Interesting they are doing this before the F2P conversion.  I guess since 1-20 is already free and has fewer limitations than the F2P player will have, they aren't expecting a large influx of new players.

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Not sure why a highly instanced game like AoC ever needed more than one server of each type in the first place.

Interesting they are doing this before the F2P conversion.  I guess since 1-20 is already free and has fewer limitations than the F2P player will have, they aren't expecting a large influx of new players.

You defenetely haven't played this game because for more than a year on it's prime time kheshatta was like World War 3, full of gankers, guilds vs guilds, epic zergs, well, that was really awesome tbh, and i've played WoW for over 3 years, but really i keep the best of my mmo gaming thoughts from this game.

I can't come back right now but if i would do if i could, anyway i'll have to wait for a month or so till' i finish my exams, but then i'm getting back to AoC for sure, for XOTLI!

I encourage you guys to try it out because imo it's the best game out now, maybe not the most polished but the most enternaining one, it's combat system is crazy, awesome graphs, and really skilled pvp players over there. well, hope you liked my post, CU HF!!

• mukinmukin Member UncommonPosts: 80

Originally posted by Malickie

My only problem with this was they didn't do it before the welcome back campaign they recently had. Tyranny was dead the whole time. Not to mention they took the service down on the last day of that trial to add this, it's saying an expected 24hr DT, I planned on playing today to. WAAAhh

Agreed!

• BarteauxBarteaux Member Posts: 483

Looking forwad to playing AoC again. I have been to busy irl to justify a monthly subscribtion, but with f2p... sweet

"nerf rock, paper is working as intended."

- Scissors.

Head Chop

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Been playing Conan again recently(past couple months), the Cimmeria PvP server was more or less dead.  But on Wiccana which was my server when the game released also it is quite busy.  I wouldn't call that server dead by any means at all.  I always see plenty of people around and get group offers pretty constantly when on my Bear Shaman.

Can't speak for the other PvE server or the other PvP server but their open-pvp system works very poorly so wouldn't surprise me if it is dead too.  On Cimmeria it was basically a joke, if you are new and starting out you just get camped by insane-griefer types who are twinked to a point they can take down whole parties with ease :P  FUN!!!!! :P

But the PvE in Conan is still great imo and worth it :)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Originally posted by Thillian

Riiiiiiiiight.

It was announced a few weeks ago. They improved their server technology, and all EU / US / PvE / PvP players will play on a single EU / US / PvE / PvP server respectively.

No need to improve the server technology to get the remaining few players together on their respective server-types.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by celee2222

improved server technology?

Il believe that when i see it

I don't know if this is really the case but AoC does share it's engine (or atleast parts of it) with the upcoming TSW. As such I find it believable for them to have upgraded their technology whilst building TSW and them passed that technology on to the team working on AoC who would've been able to implement it easily as it's the same engine.

As I said, I don't know if this is the actual case but it seems easily possible.

It gives some hope for the future of AoC as it will be able to keep benefiting from updates to TSW even if it isn't profitable enough for frequent updates itself.

But we'll have to see how it turns out. Funcom has screwed things up before. Maybe they learned their lesson, maybe they'll just mess things up again.

I just know that I'll likely be playing AoC once it goes F2P. It seems just different enough to keep my attention until the next batch of MMOs come out.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Davirok

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

You defenetely haven't played this game because for more than a year on it's prime time kheshatta was like World War 3, full of gankers, guilds vs guilds, epic zergs, well, that was really awesome tbh, and i've played WoW for over 3 years, but really i keep the best of my mmo gaming thoughts from this game.

I can't come back right now but if i would do if i could, anyway i'll have to wait for a month or so till' i finish my exams, but then i'm getting back to AoC for sure, for XOTLI!

I encourage you guys to try it out because imo it's the best game out now, maybe not the most polished but the most enternaining one, it's combat system is crazy, awesome graphs, and really skilled pvp players over there. well, hope you liked my post, CU HF!!

Yeah, they're merging servers because the popultion is healthy, right?  lol

I'm a current subscriber, and according to your post, you're not currently playing, and yet you know better how the pops are?   What does the past population have to do with anything?  You're not making any sense.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

I for one will give it a try again. New content, large open play areas now, keeps and large scale pvp, larger mix of solo and team playm free to play option and pooling larger pop per server? Sounds good to me.

You stay sassy!

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by Tamanous

I for one will give it a try again. New content, large open play areas now, keeps and large scale pvp, larger mix of solo and team playm free to play option and pooling larger pop per server? Sounds good to me.

Most of that doesnt exist.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by mCalvert

Originally posted by Tamanous

Most of that doesnt exist.

New content is the movie content pack and the recent updates, large open play areas have been introduced with Khitai, keeps exist, F2P option is coming and re rest is dependent upon player population. If you merge servers into world types and use cross server techniques, then those others will be there too. Note that he said 'larger mix' and 'pooling larger pop', so he was referring and comparing the old situation with the new situation of F2P, merged servers with cross server tools and the Turan content.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Originally posted by Thillian

Riiiiiiiiight.

I lost any hope for what you are saying. They are selling same promises since start. Ok, I admin, game improved since start, but when you are at bottom everything looks like big improvement. But everything is still far far far ... from anything aoc should be. On my computer have logged back week or two ago ... same lag, same problems, ... while I do not have problem with any game (ok, war is at par with aoc), not even much better and graphics intense games, i.e. Rift. After this last attempt I have found nothing in Aoc appeals perma.