Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember Dark&Light

ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Many on these forums will remember the game in my title it really promised a lot but delivered a buggy mess even though i did stick with it for a while.

The concept was a vast world with a mass of 15.000 Sq miles,one half in shadow the other in light. It really had an advanced world for it's day but it had many problems. The main problem was the devs actually stole the world from someone else and ended up with a court case.

It went FTP up until early 2010 then it was closed down even though the forum are still open. The reason the forum are still open is because Farlan will be a supporter when Snail Game released a total remake of the game in 2012. 

Snail Games were the operaters for Dark&Light in China but now they have given the game a total overhual. This includes total name changes and a world that has no connection with Dark&Light,new lore and new classes and new areas/cities.

Well here is an update which was from march but the game is shaping but to be an epic game along the lines of ArcheAge.

This game world will be vast and all on one server,40.000 Sq Miles, that's 40 times bigger than WOW.

Anyway take a look..Anyone who played D&L will see the resemblance in the dragon ride.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/03/darkness-and-light-epic-mmo-in-making.html

http://www.darkandlight.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72791&page=1&pp=20

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I actually got to play this a little (the older version, not the overhauled version) and thought it was interesting.  There was some kind of handgliding thing that you could do which i really enjoyed as you could control it even though i kept crashing into the ground or some mountain side.

Heres hoping they make a great game.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Excuse me I just threw up in my mouth. I beta tested this in first few stages, as the hype grew and grew and the people all said how awesome the game would been I started to spill the guts of the game and developers and issues faced to these forums on a old account and then when the shit hit the fan after launch with the whole fiasco people seen the Light, no pun intended and left. One the most over hyped games of it's time to fall crash so hard. The game had limitless space with sparingly little content.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

interesting, the game was doomed from the start....why the original release date was 6-6-06

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by whilan

I actually got to play this a little (the older version, not the overhauled version) and thought it was interesting.  There was some kind of handgliding thing that you could do which i really enjoyed as you could control it even though i kept crashing into the ground or some mountain side.

Heres hoping they make a great game.

Handgliding and snowboarding and parachute.

Originally posted by bezado

Excuse me I just threw up in my mouth. I beta tested this in first few stages, as the hype grew and grew and the people all said how awesome the game would been I started to spill the guts of the game and developers and issues faced to these forums on a old account and then when the shit hit the fan after launch with the whole fiasco people seen the Light, no pun intended and left. One the most over hyped games of it's time to fall crash so hard. The game had limitless space with sparingly little content.

Yup i was in beta as well..

Like i said this is not a remake of DNL,this game is a different game made by Snail Games in china. Good thing is their is also a snail games in the US.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

This game and Arche Age are really my only hope.  With any luck one will pan out, with my luck neither will. 

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Originally posted by bezado

Yup i was in beta as well..

Like i said this is not a remake of DNL,this game is a different game made by Snail Games in china. Good thing is their is also a snail games in the US.

But still, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. The bad memories of this and all, if it is F2P maybe few will try it but the risk involved with it have a subscription or even worse a bully type of F2P model. Bully type of model would be like what current F2P games are doing, it's F2P but you still have to buy marketplace items to play the game and unlock things.

I dunno, I am skeptical, the updated graphics look interesting but can a Chinese company pull it off to make it what it was suppose to be without going to Asian on it making it another grind Asian game, I dunno.

Time will tell but one thing is certain,this is not Dark&Light. The world is new and the names are new and the engine is new ,it's a new MMO that shares some of the concepts of D&L.

Anyway here is a vid from 2010,it's small taste from a gaming convention in china.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12xsh4DP4h0

• agh50agh50 Member Posts: 124

I have high hopes for this game.  A Dark and Light game done right would be a seed change to MMOs that are now on the market.

I will withhold judgement until I see what comes of it all.  I am hopeful, but remain skeptical that it will ever reach fruition.

Let us pray.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Time will tell but one thing is certain,this is not Dark&Light. The world is new and the names are new and the engine is new ,it's a new MMO that shares some of the concepts of D&L.

Anyway here is a vid from 2010,it's small taste from a gaming convention in china.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12xsh4DP4h0

ever seen a game trailer that did not look awesome ?

I miss DAoC