Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Five Reasons to Watch The Secret World

2»

Comments

• darthlopezdarthlopez Member Posts: 30

I am really looking forward to this game.  I was so sold the minute I  found out that RagnarI Tørnquist was leading developer on the project. I'm huge fan of both of his previous works Dreamfall and The Longest Journey.  I can honestly say Dreamfall's ending left me in tears, and i'm a 31 year old man.  

Rag your next project needs to be a Dreamfall sequel. Please let me save April and Zoe.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

To the OP:

If you loved Dreamfall so much, then you REALLY need to get your hands on The Longest Journey and play it as well. TLJ is a much longer game and more complex, actually. It's amazing. Not that Dreamfall wasn't too, but I just think TLJ was far too incredible to be "bumpled" off the top of the list by Dreamfall (just my opinion). ;)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• odinfishodinfish Member Posts: 40

How about reasons why we shouldn't pay any mind to the Secret World? I'll start...umm, it's produced by Funcom. I don't know about the rest of you but I'll never do business with them again after dealing with so much garbage while enduring Age of Conan.

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

1. Classless skills (potentially)

2. 3 Factions.

3. No levels/anti-grind/anti emphasis on endgame carrot.

4. Then a fresh lore/IP for mmorpgs.

5. Finally story oriented pve

Needs some more serious information to go with the nice pictures & words however. <.<

That sums up exactly how I feel.  Anyone who followed WAR or even AOC will tell you, some dude telling you it's going to be awesome is a world away from actual game footage of said awesomeness.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by melenko

Originally posted by mrw0lf

I like the concept and story very hyped for the game. The only thing I'm not sure about so far is allowing members from all factions to pve with each other.

How is that entirely bad? So far it's making me think you might have to work along with a group that may turn on you later, or you may have friends that play a different faction.

"Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer", as the saying goes :).

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i would be so excited for this game if it wasn't made by Funcom. I just cant get excited for their titles anymore.

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

" There are two “dark” games on the horizon: this and World of Darkness."

This is the main reason I keep an eye on TSW.

I'm 50/50 on Funcom. AO was great, AO: Shadow Lands sucked, AOC I'm 50/50 on.

If I remember they said it will be a team heavy game which isn't good news to me. (just burnt out on that.)

I MAY try it, but very far from amped up.  

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I only hope they will have at least a 6 month difference between the release of TSW and SWTOR and that TSW subscribers get AoC premium for a huuuuuuge discount.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

Ohh I loved Dreamfall. Good to know that the guy behind that is also working on this.

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I suggest anyone following this game and wants to learn more about how Rangar works to check out his two previous titles listed.

Those would be the longest journey and it's sequal. If your an adventure fan at all. Then you owe yourself to check these out.

As I stated before him being on this project is the only reason i'm interested in playing this game.  Hes done amazing work in my opinion.

I'm still more hyped for ToR but this one is (because of those two games) definitely on my radar.

Little private hope that once hes done with TSW that he starts up the last half of Dreamfall. I still want to know what happened to Zoe.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• TheomastusTheomastus Member Posts: 35

They have some amazing ideas.

Love the world, been a Lovecraft fan since I was 13 (which was a long time ago, lol), the idea of running around in something obvously crafted on the 'Shadow Over Innsmouth' story thrills me.

Classless system- nice idea, could be great- customization is always fun.

On the other hand-

Funcom has a checkered history at best.  Being ambitious with your creation always increases the risk of catastrophic failure.  The classless system may prove totally impossible to balance for PVP, or there may become only one viable PvP build.

Could go either way at this point, but watching with interest.

“The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: Be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge.”
    -Elbert Hubbard

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

I'm with the writer; the more I hear and see about TSW the more excited I get. After about 5 years of having no decent MMORPGs on the horizon the next few years are shaping up to finally breathe new life into this stale genre.

I always was mixed on Funcom. I thought AO was great but the launch was one of the worst in MMORPG history. Once they got things fixed and people could actually move in crowded environments, it was fine. Character depth was always nice for the 2001 era. I didn't play Conan past Beta as I just didn't like the game but after coming back and trying it recently I found myself enjoying it far more than I ever thought I would. That being said I think this game will make or break my outlook of Funcom for the next few years.

Like many of you, I think what's most interesting is the original IP, 3 factions, the classless system and a focus on player clothing over armor. I'm a customization whore and I like character freedom. So when I get it in both the skills and appearance side of things ... well, then I'm happy. Hopefully this game rocks.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by arieste

Say what you want about Funcom, but aside from CCP, they're the only AAA developer at least TRYING to bring some originality to the genre and to create games that are trully MMO.

I'll take an interesting game with a questionable launch and bugs over a flawless snoozefest.

They have always tried to bring something new to MMO genre. Anarchy online was a unique Sci-fi game for its time and AOC also had some very nifty features.

In my opinion only really revolutionary MMOs to hit market are Archage and The Secret World. Rest of the companies can claim to be different but these two MMOS are really different and speak for itself.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

I am in the market for a new MMO   I am a refugee from EVE and I was hoping that Star Trek Online  was to be my new game  but it went from "must have" all the way down to "avoid"   because it was a joke of what it should have been.

mainly Im looking for a sandbox style game that gives the player a lot of freedom and an organic idealized world

I would like to see  spells and combat  kind of done like crafting  where you can build your  action from a selection of subcomponents  like you can have a long range small red fireball  or a short range large blue fireball   by "buying different recipie combinations"   and you could spell weave to  inject additional power into the spell.

a game where your choices and actions make a difference   and where  you can build common types of structures walls  aquaducts    where you can be a ship captain and haul useful cardos to distant lands.

PVP  I am not a PVPER!  I do not like being forced to PVP  or be regulated to a NOOBLIKE  playground

first have a non-pvp faction or nutrals     second  have  semi-pvp areas  that have less penalties so that casual players can do a little pvp without the threat of getting obliterated by hardcore players.

SHOCK AND AWE 

It has been a long time since a game impressed or suprised me  I was in age of conan's beta ,, hoping that it would be different and organic and realistic world  and found yet another hack and slash playground. I went into a pyramid and these immence statues moved slightly  and I was pumped thinking anything could be in here  but alas  CRAP  same old idiot AI   the size of the MOB was irrelevant   just another bigger rat that did bigger damage  and wacked at players with the same action repeatedly    for me  challanging does NOT mean mode hitpoints,, AOC instances bore me to sleep even though im neck deep in baddies  because  combat is just too simple   spiders walk on the floor  ect...

I am not normally a horror monster type of person  zombies just dont thrill me  or deamons

but some other aspects of this game may have me overlook that   I tend to be a support player and like  discovery, exploring and the trades   but I want my actions to matter     if im a cook  I dont want the items i create to be just secondary or an afterthought     trade crafts should be as important as combat      and they should be built so that several players of the same craft  can have their nitch   and not just the highest level is who everybody buys from

DOCTORS  one of the things I hate about alot of games is the way they do death  its almos allways alive or dead  there is very little wounded or dammaged  for doctors or repairpeople to help    make  things have more durability  so they can be damaged or wounded   and be disabled  or crippled   and can be  be mended 

wounded should be more inline with normal combat    people should also be captureable  but a captured person should have playable things they can do not just sit there.

players should be able to combine attacks  or special effects  in unique ways  like  shifting between heat and cold to fatigue metal  or   focus on a giants legs to bring them down  or blind them 

QUESTS  whould have meaning  that players can identify with,  the game should allow charactors to "care" about NPC's in the village they grew up in that is about to be distroyed    We shouldnt be killing orcs just "because" thats what were supose to do  there should be a tangable reason.   goblins are stealing your corn  so you will starve this winter,,  bandits are raiding caravans,  pirates are attacking murchant ships

allow players to actually be heroic  and be part of the world

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by brenth

I am in the market for a new MMO   I am a refugee from EVE and I was hoping that Star Trek Online  was to be my new game  but it went from "must have" all the way down to "avoid"   because it was a joke of what it should have been.

mainly Im looking for a sandbox style game that gives the player a lot of freedom and an organic idealized world

I would like to see  spells and combat  kind of done like crafting  where you can build your  action from a selection of subcomponents  like you can have a long range small red fireball  or a short range large blue fireball   by "buying different recipie combinations"   and you could spell weave to  inject additional power into the spell.

a game where your choices and actions make a difference   and where  you can build common types of structures walls  aquaducts    where you can be a ship captain and haul useful cardos to distant lands.

PVP  I am not a PVPER!  I do not like being forced to PVP  or be regulated to a NOOBLIKE  playground

first have a non-pvp faction or nutrals     second  have  semi-pvp areas  that have less penalties so that casual players can do a little pvp without the threat of getting obliterated by hardcore players.

SHOCK AND AWE 

It has been a long time since a game impressed or suprised me  I was in age of conan's beta ,, hoping that it would be different and organic and realistic world  and found yet another hack and slash playground. I went into a pyramid and these immence statues moved slightly  and I was pumped thinking anything could be in here  but alas  CRAP  same old idiot AI   the size of the MOB was irrelevant   just another bigger rat that did bigger damage  and wacked at players with the same action repeatedly    for me  challanging does NOT mean mode hitpoints,, AOC instances bore me to sleep even though im neck deep in baddies  because  combat is just too simple   spiders walk on the floor  ect...

I am not normally a horror monster type of person  zombies just dont thrill me  or deamons

but some other aspects of this game may have me overlook that   I tend to be a support player and like  discovery, exploring and the trades   but I want my actions to matter     if im a cook  I dont want the items i create to be just secondary or an afterthought     trade crafts should be as important as combat      and they should be built so that several players of the same craft  can have their nitch   and not just the highest level is who everybody buys from

DOCTORS  one of the things I hate about alot of games is the way they do death  its almos allways alive or dead  there is very little wounded or dammaged  for doctors or repairpeople to help    make  things have more durability  so they can be damaged or wounded   and be disabled  or crippled   and can be  be mended 

wounded should be more inline with normal combat    people should also be captureable  but a captured person should have playable things they can do not just sit there.

players should be able to combine attacks  or special effects  in unique ways  like  shifting between heat and cold to fatigue metal  or   focus on a giants legs to bring them down  or blind them 

QUESTS  whould have meaning  that players can identify with,  the game should allow charactors to "care" about NPC's in the village they grew up in that is about to be distroyed    We shouldnt be killing orcs just "because" thats what were supose to do  there should be a tangable reason.   goblins are stealing your corn  so you will starve this winter,,  bandits are raiding caravans,  pirates are attacking murchant ships

allow players to actually be heroic  and be part of the world

Good luck because that game doesnt exist.  All the great Sandbox MMO's are very dated and other then TPW and GW2 (which neither are a true sandbox but close enough for me)  there arent any coming out in the forseable future except archeage but  Irefuse to play any Non Western MMO not matter how good the game.

You can blame WoW and its ilk for the denegration of MMO gameplay to the themepark kiddie hand holding experience that it is today and thta is a fucking crying shame.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

ya I want a realistic world  with idealizd gameplay  that is immersive and fun

way too many games  have been  dumbed down   and simplified to hack and slash or arcade like content .

when i went into STAR TREK ONLINE  the first company had some amazing intentions  it would be kind of eve like without the bad after taste.   but when i went to SOL system and there was only an earth poster  inside an invisible box  and no mars or saturn  I knew I had been scamed by yet another franchise exploiter game

so I am currently gameless  and looking for a worthy game.  a sandbox like game has many things im looking for but usually they take it too far extream  and fail in the fun factor  or they are  crude in the literal sense.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

The game and the IP look interesing but I will not jump into any Funcom game without waiting a few months after release. I was burned twice by them already and there isn't going to be a third.

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by heartless

The game and the IP look interesing but I will not jump into any Funcom game without waiting a few months after release. I was burned twice by them already and there isn't going to be a third.

I could tell during beta that AoC was gonna blow... so I'm hoping to be able to do the same here because I think being there at launch will be a lot of fun with this game.  Unless it sucks. :)

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

i'm looking forward to this one, if i can't have AO2 a new game with a new setting is just as good!

there are a lot of problems with the way funcom does games, but i'm willing to give a game company a shot on something new, you never know if they will surprise you.

i hope they don't let AoC stagnate though...