Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting review i found.

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Found this interesting review.  From this person perspective, GW2 kinda comes off like rift in ways.

http://clarystainsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/03/clarysta-goes-somewhere-else.html

It's old i know but i figure might as well get a different perspective then GW2 is awsome all the time :)

Take what you will from it.

Shattered Steel 1996

Baldur's Gate 1998

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 1999

MDK2 2000

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 2000

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 2001

Neverwinter Nights 2002

Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide 2003

Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark 2003

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2003

Jade Empire 2005

Mass Effect 2007

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood 2008

Mass Effect Galaxy 2009

Dragon Age: Origins 2009

Mass Effect 2 2010

Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening 2010

Dragon Age II 2011

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Just someone spouting more uninformed BS about GW2. I've played LOTRO and I'm playiing Rift (only 2 MMOs I've played) and I can say that there's no real comparison between the lot. Typical Rift experience is: Go to quest hub, collect all available quest, go kill/collect x no. of y, kill/avoid any rifts/footholds along the way, return to quest hub to hand in quest. Just the typical questing structure with that little bit tacked on; whereas we all know by now how GW2 is panning to shack up the traditional questing system.

The blogger was just finding anything to compare Rift with GW2, even the Warrior's charge animation. Just not worth the read.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This part is hilarious :

No cosmetic system. When oh when will these mmo's learn? GW2 allows you to keep the look of a particular piece of gear, but it is not slotted as a separate cosmetic. The armour has multiple dye areas which was really nice. Unfortunately, the starting armour for my Norn Warrior chick looked remarkably like the new LotRO captain set.

It shows that the blogger lacks brains.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

What I take from it is that I know your a big bioware fan from your large amount of other post( so i was weary at the start),and you found a very obscure and unkown source that puts its competition in a negative light, and that source seems to want to downtalk gw2  anyway it can even tho it contradicts itself.... for example how is the gw2 personal story "exactly the same" as rifts quest which are all basically gather and kill quest? And how was she able to gather all she was able to gather about ther personal story in the demo when we know not much was shown about that at that event?

And unless im mistaken, the demo put in at that event had things that were put in for demo purposes, which was explained at the event, and was some of the stuff she complains about...

It's a very bias article that seems to be more concerned with bashing rift and gw2 in order to hold up lotro more than anything.

Also, when are people going to stop with these annoying threads with the purpose of showing how "my games better, yours is overrated", because your intent seems very fishy op.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I do find many of the comments odd.  Saying that Rift had a better DE system seems bizarre since I've not heard that from anyone ever before and GW2 clearly has a far more intricate and involved system.

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

People, it wasn't even that negative of a review and the blogger even said they would try out GW2 again when they had more than 40 minutes to play. How is this being trashed so vehemently?

The person is obviously a LOTRO fan, which - having played the game - is an audience that isn't necessarily going to be won over by the active combat aspects (or PvP) of GW2, when those are two of the better selling points. They do not cut much slack for the dynamic events of GW2, but there are plenty of doubters on that front, so nothing new there. They're mistaken on the cosmetic slots, and a reader already informed them about the GW2 town clothing (if they're willing to take that under advisement), so that's done with.

So, they're skeptical. So what?

I will agree that this is.... not really threadworthy, OP. If your point is that in 40 minutes some people can't tell the difference between Rift's rifts/quests and GW2's dynamic events, um, okay? /clap?

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by Drachasor

I do find many of the comments odd.  Saying that Rift had a better DE system seems bizarre since I've not heard that from anyone ever before and GW2 clearly has a far more intricate and involved system.

Some people have the idea that not knowing where a rift will appear (even though it's forever fixed regarding being one of five types) and don't have branching content (a bonus stage is not branching content) is more interesting and dynamic than GW2 events that happen in fixed locations but have mutliple pass/fail branches and can be set off by any number of things or contain any kind of content.

I think they're wrong ;), but they have that idea. YMMV, etc.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

"That personal story line looks and feels EXACTLY like questing. And to make things worse, those aren't shared with the people you group with."

I agree with this from the review, why can't you share your individual personal story with other people? It makes no sense.

Originally posted by Yaos

"That personal story line looks and feels EXACTLY like questing. And to make things worse, those aren't shared with the people you group with."

I agree with this from the review, why can't you share your individual personal story with other people? It makes no sense.

It was said you can invite someone into your home area to see the effects of your story, so you can certainly share the results.  You can't share the quests per se because it is personal.  IIRC, if you have to go to instance A to do something, you can bring a friend along, but you can't share what you have to do.  That makes sense.  If you need to go to the store to buy milk you can also bring a friend along, but you don't share the "buy milk" quest (but perhaps he has it too).  That's why it is a PERSONAL story.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Actually, your friends can join in on your personal quest.

• LeononaLeonona Member UncommonPosts: 225

Originally posted by KillHurt

Your friend can help you out, but he can't advance his own story in any way by doing so, which is a bad design choice IMO. I think this will be one of the few downfalls of GW2. A lot of people will have a problem with this. It's a design choice which encourages soloing. Arenanet wants to create the first truly social MMO, but personal story contradicts this.

But other than a few good points about personal story the review seems rather biased and obviously lacking knowlegde.

Originally posted by Leonona

Your friend can help you out, but he can't advance his own story in any way by doing so, which is a bad design choice IMO. I think this will be one of the few downfalls of GW2. A lot of people will have a problem with this. It's a design choice which encourages soloing. Arenanet wants to create the first truly social MMO, but personal story contradicts this.

But other than a few good points about personal story the review seems rather biased and obviously lacking knowlegde.

Yeah, but aren't you supposed to be making decisions during this personal story?  How could they let everyone advance their decisions like that?  Heck, even TOR has the personal stuff done in a similar manner.

People who go with you still get loot, experience, and they get to enjoy playing with a friend.  That seems like enough of a reason, honestly.

Originally posted by Swanea

Woo, nice to see the gw2 fanbois can light it up as much as the tor fanbois.

Great Job!

Everyone knows GW2 is sugar and spice and everything nice, and TOR is Snips and snails and puppy dog tails.  Right? 

Because there are zero quests or DE or anything that involve having to kill X amount of mobs. At all.

Lol okay sorry, I won't add any more petrol to the fire!

The difference is that if you have something that boils down to a kill X quest, then once you do that, there are no more X in the area.  TOR does some things right...story is important.  It does a ton of stuff just like WoW though, and I for one am glad GW2 is far more innovative.  I don't want to play WoW in space with some story elements.  I want to play an MMORPG with a deep story and a more immersive combat and quest system.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Interesting. Some of the comments are either wrong or misinformed, but it was nice to see someone keep all the hype in check. I know I'm probably as bad as anyone else for just talking about how great the game is. But remember, GW1 had problems of its own. Almost no roleplaying, an uninspiring PvE experience despite some of the best combat mechanics I've seen in a game. The necessity to go anywhere with a bunch of people led to a feeling to me of a vague zerging, even though what was happening was far from that. It just felt awkward to never venture out alone (at least not safely).

While Guild Wars was an amazing game, and moved some ideas in the genre forward, but it wasn't perfect. We need to remember GW2 probably won't be perfect. We should temper our excitement with caution.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

Yeah, but aren't you supposed to be making decisions during this personal story?  How could they let everyone advance their decisions like that?  Heck, even TOR has the personal stuff done in a similar manner.

People who go with you still get loot, experience, and they get to enjoy playing with a friend.  That seems like enough of a reason, honestly.

I'm no expert on TOR, but I'm pretty sure that you can advance in the story as a group. Individual players make choices for the hole group. I think this is great for friends who want to play together and an option GW2 should have had.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

Interesting. Some of the comments are either wrong or misinformed, but it was nice to see someone keep all the hype in check. I know I'm probably as bad as anyone else for just talking about how great the game is. But remember, GW1 had problems of its own. Almost no roleplaying, an uninspiring PvE experience despite some of the best combat mechanics I've seen in a game. The necessity to go anywhere with a bunch of people led to a feeling to me of a vague zerging, even though what was happening was far from that. It just felt awkward to never venture out alone (at least not safely).

While Guild Wars was an amazing game, and moved some ideas in the genre forward, but it wasn't perfect. We need to remember GW2 probably won't be perfect. We should temper our excitement with caution.

Tempering hype is fine, but don't do it with misinformation and pitiful arguments that get contradicted in the same paragraph.

I'm no expert on TOR, but I'm pretty sure that you can advance in the story as a group. Individual players make choices for the hole group. I think this is great for friends who want to play together and an option GW2 should have had.

I've looked into TOR a lot.  There are personal class quests and those cannot be advanced for everyone in the group at once, just the one person.  The distinction here is no different than in GW2 where you have the personal story and Dynamic Events.

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

GW2 has a PERSONAL story. It starts with your biography about your character that you when you first make your character. It also doesn't have the problem of half of your group being on one part of the story and the other half not being as far into it as the others (I see this problem in TOR and haven't seen anything about a solution for it). If you want to do content with your friends and have an impact on the world then you can do DEs or dungeons.

I've looked into TOR a lot.  There are personal class quests and those cannot be advanced for everyone in the group at once, just the one person.  The distinction here is no different than in GW2 where you have the personal story and Dynamic Events.

Ok, I just remember videos of TOR where players make conversation choices for the hole group. I don't know exactly which part of the game it was from.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by whilan

Found this interesting review.  From this person perspective, GW2 kinda comes off like rift in ways.

http://clarystainsunshine.blogspot.com/2011/03/clarysta-goes-somewhere-else.html

It's old i know but i figure might as well get a different perspective then GW2 is awsome all the time :)

Take what you will from it.

Shattered Steel 1996

Baldur's Gate 1998

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast 1999

MDK2 2000

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn 2000

Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal 2001

Neverwinter Nights 2002

Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide 2003

Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark 2003

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2003

Jade Empire 2005

Mass Effect 2007

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood 2008

Mass Effect Galaxy 2009

Dragon Age: Origins 2009

Mass Effect 2 2010

Dragon Age: Origins – Awakening 2010

Dragon Age II 2011

Ok, I am just going analyze the rift and GW2 comparison from this article.

1. "The GW2 events felt very much like Rift".  -  really?  How so?  What did rifts feel like?  At the time of this article, rift had been out 14 days, and it is possible that the reviewer played in the beta.  In 40 minutes of play, which is roughly enough time to do the tutorial and a few DEs and go exploring for a bit, I suppose a comparison COULD be made between rift's rifts and GW2's DEs...but given that DEs and Rifts serve a completely different purpose, which could not be experienced in a timed demo where time is currency and haste is required to do anything, I doubt that this comparison would be valid, even if the comparison had detailed reasons given.

2. "Skills have a global cooldown, like Rift"  -  Innaccurate, but also a meaningless comparison because, even if GW2 had a global cooldown (and I am glad it doesn't), that would make it similar to EVERY WOW CLONE EVER.  Did the reviewer play WoW ever?  I find it unlikely.

3. "My Warrior chick had a skill that looked EXACTLY like the animation used for Rift's Bullrush charge."  -  I actually laughed when I first saw this (months ago), and that is because rift had (still has?) some fairly crappy skill animations.  The fact that both games had a skill that moves your towards your enemy isn't enough to call the animation similar (and with a comparison between the two skills being fairly easy to manage on youtube, it stands to reason you could evaluate this for yourself.)

Thats a rather flimsy comparison, but given the blog post was more about quick impressions, I think the reason the comparison, which was really only used as an attempt at a reference point, is so shallow is because the comparison is being pushed by the OP.

Anyways, from what I can tell, this blog is really only meant for LotRO die hards and, having known a couple, I know generally what they actually like.  For one, LotRO is about the lore, and RPing is important, thus the desire for lots of clothing options.  Storyline matters to them, but the demo doesn't exactly do much to show much of the storyline.  A particular LotRO die hard I know actually went to PAX prime, with a group of people who all went to play the demo (we all loved the demo) and he didn't even try it out.  Afterwards, he tried GW out for the first time, and realized it was NOTHING like runescape, and a really great game.  He is eagerly awaiting GW2, in part because of the amount of lore GW2 has and because of  the skill reqired to be good at the game.

Lastly, I think this quick impression of the demo wasn't really a good example of a harsh review.  Its an impressions journal.  It lacks the depth required to be a review.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by ArcheAge

Don't feed the troll..

The OP is an avid SWTOR followers and has only posted in the GW2 section 3 times and each time it has been a negative thread.

Check out his post/threads..

Negative opinion doesn't neccesarlly mean that you are wrong.

But a review based on a 40 minutes demo a long time before release is rather pointless. Sure there are similarities between GW2 and Rift, but there are also similaraties between Rift and TOR if you look on it that way.

You do need access to the entire game to make a review, we all member the AoC Tortage reviews 3 years ago. I could buy it if you spent a week playing, then you at least get's the basic right but even those reviews are often wrong, I read a lot of those about Rift and WAR and then the people who gave those rose colored reviews quit a week later.

Both Bioware and ANET have experienced people, but both games are trying tu pull of something completely new. Based on my personal knowledge about the devs I think ANET have a slightly stronger crew, if nothing else becausethey have a lot experience of multiplayer games but experienced people sometimes make crappy games.

We can't really compare these games until they at least go into open beta. I think both of them will have some surprises for us. But a 40 minutes demo review is like I wrote a review of France based on my only visit, I spent 22 hours in Charles DeGaulle airport waiting for a plane to Havanna there. I just don't have the knowledge to write any reviews (well, possibly besides that a certain airport blows).

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

lol comparing events to rifts tottally makes me lose faith in this review, not sure how an Epic 20 minute fight against a dragon is the same as the 30 second fight that no one even comes  close to dying if you have 3 people doing stage 5 of a rift, one that as a necrolock I could solo.

Also dont recall in rift combat, having somone throw up a firewall ,and then my arrows would light up on fire going through them.

But oh well Ill need to try it out myself and see how GW2 Feels, who knows it might be just another boring MMO, or it might turn out to be well made, guess I will find out in 2012

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

But all we have ARE these 30-40 minutes demonstrations and "the Devs have said...". ;)

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

So a random players blog on a game that hasnt even entered beta yet, is taken as a full official review? op. get a life.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

I'm laughing quite hard right now.

Here we have an extremely mellow OP talking about a review he/she found interesting (not good, not well-written, merely interesting) because it provides a different perspective (which it does) and he/she is called a misinformed troll basically right away.

Then we've got me having quite heated debates with posts about GW2 that are simply way more negative then that blog post let alone the original post and it usually takes at least a few pages before I'm called misinformed (which granted, I sometimes am) or a troll (which I'm not).

Anyway, just wanted to share my amusement.

Small tip: you inspire a lot more confidence about the game if you act less defensive about it.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Meh. The demo review of the blogger was mediocre and very subjective.

What's more interesting and fun to watch is the responses of people. Oh, how quick people rise to burn the OP and that blogger on the witchfire for heresy/uninformedness/negative viewpoint, a lot of the same people who often have no qualms about doing exactly the same in discussion threads of other games, in those cases barely restraining themselves from jumping up and down from joy to hop on the bandwagon of criticising and wallowing in any negative comment that can be found of those other MMO's. Funny to see image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."