Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like Role-Playing?

I was thinking to myself the other day, eventhough these are roleplaying games?... How much of us actually Roleplay?

I mean, if someone was to approach me In-Game acting as if he was on a great quest to kill the goblin king and he requests my help as a noble Knight to defeat him. I'd look atmy screen funny, and wonder if he's crazy.

However isn't this why these games were made and the basis of it? ...

I wouldve never RP'd because I thought it's just too much effort to put into a game then 3 years+ ago I accidently went to Roleplay on a server that was set up for multiplayer "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas", a script was made to remember the amount of money you had, the weapons you were carrying, the ability to lock your car (therefor owning one) and do actions through commands. I spent a year RPing there and it was crime based, getting deliveries, selling drugs on to other bosses, etc .. as a mixture of characters were there (from small time gangs, mafioso, Yakuza, triads, hippies.. anything in the single player game)

I would NEVER roleplay in real life... (not that theres anything wrong wih it) however I do admit I enjoy Roleplaying when I never thought I would.

Developers work on a back story to the games setting, the races and how they behave, how people behave from certain towns/areas, etc... So why isn't it ever used.

So do you guys roleplay between your friends? what do you think of roleplay? 

P.S. Wow... wrote more than I thought I would.

Comments

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think they should probably change the whole name of MMORPGs because these days, there's rarely any actual roleplaying going on.

maybe they should change it to massively multiplayer adventure games or something.

I don't know though, there's some people that play pen and paper games without really acting like a character too.

But to answer the question, no, I don't really like role-playing. I'd become an actor or something if I wanted to role-play.

• ditto101ditto101 Member Posts: 13

i roleplay 24-7 like when i go to the drug store and steal shit at gunpoint then i role-play gwtting away from cops and killing hookers nah jk but i don't care much for role-playing mostly because i would feel to embarassed to role-play really

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Role-playing is an interesting thing. When I role-play, I play my character, be it a dumb warrior, a bumbling mage, an egotistical rogue, whatever. These characters create situations where party members will boot me from the group. Instead, role-paying is throwing a couple of "thou/thee" and "m'lord/m'lady" in the conversation as one tries to pick up players and get married in game. The role-playing servers I have visited are sickening to me. Trying to see what emote actions can represent sexual acts is not role-playing in my opinion.

Then you have the games where role-playing a hero detracts from the game. In City of Heroes, you run by countless muggings, breaking and enterings, drug deals, and harassment situations to get to your next mission. A true role-player would never get to their mission as they stopped to rescue all these innocents on every other street corner. Or does a hero pick and choose their rescue-ees?

Do I role-play? Nope. Would I role-play? It would be nice to become my character, but I would be laughed at (and sworn at and kicked out of) by any group I joined. Leroy Jenkins role-played. Look where it got him.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I used to enjoy roleplaying in online RPGs when it was acceptable. Nowadays I feel sort of silly because most players won't play along and probably think it's wierd. I feel like I'm more of a nuisance and usually the nicest reaction I get is being ignored. Maybe I'm just terrible at it, but something tells me it's just not that popular amongst today's online generation. I still enjoy heavy roleplaying in the single player games I play though, so that's good enough for me.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

I like to roleplay. Hard to find now a days though. Lot of wannabe vampires, furries, etc., or the stereotypical hero with a dark past. Then there are those that want to rp but only a specific storyline that they have in mind. No one wants to rp something totally unpredictable. Most rp is kept between friends or guildies.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I had a character in UO with a roleplaying guild which was actually pretty cool because they were not Fascists about it. You could still have OOC chats about world events & discuss things outside the game.

I think the main issue for a lot of people ir Roleplaying does take up extra time when you are ingame. This is fine if you have loads of spare time but for those of us who work, have children and maybe study part time too we struggle to have enough time to keep up to the leveling pace of our friends and guild mates leaving us less inclined to use up precious time on involved roleplay.

To me I no longer enjoy roleplaying, not sure why but I think its because I am time poor nowdays as opposed to when I was a university student and had loads of free time I enjoyed RP.

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

I had a character in UO with a roleplaying guild which was actually pretty cool because they were not Fascists about it. You could still have OOC chats about world events & discuss things outside the game.

I think the main issue for a lot of people ir Roleplaying does take up extra time when you are ingame. This is fine if you have loads of spare time but for those of us who work, have children and maybe study part time too we struggle to have enough time to keep up to the leveling pace of our friends and guild mates leaving us less inclined to use up precious time on involved roleplay.

To me I no longer enjoy roleplaying, not sure why but I think its because I am time poor nowdays as opposed to when I was a university student and had loads of free time I enjoyed RP.

That's an interesting point. Perhaps with everything else becoming so streamlined, there really is little room or need for roleplaying to a large degree. On the other hand, maybe we (I) don't play as long of sessions because there is so little depth in modern online RPGs.

I do have more time to invest in playing online RPGs, but I just have a hard time finding reasons to do so these days. Sometimes I think that maybe I'm just burned out on the genre. But then what would I be doing here on these forums? I've been a big fan of the genre for over a decade. Is it possible to just lose interest in something? I don't believe so. Something else has changed.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• FlipTheFrogFlipTheFrog Member Posts: 23

Actually when you're on a roleplaying server people really act that way and I think it's great for those who enjoy it - I'm just not that kind of person :)

Strangely enough I love roleplaying sessions in real life - like playing Dungeons and Dragons and stuff and we actually are roleplaying there, but in online games I don't like it too much. But again, I think it's great if you enjoy it.

As for Lord of the Rings Online for example there are roleplaying servers, but you don't have to play on one of those. If you do, however, you're supposed to actually talk and act like that and if you don't you get warned by a CM (if you're reported) - I think that's the best way to go so everyone has the most fun in the game :)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I like rping in real life but i only seem to be able to troll in games. Seriously people tend to not rp in games and rp servers tend to be filled with people performing coitus in public places. CO for example. When i was playing that gamw, entering club caprice will show you101 bunny girls and 9001 d00ds who wanna cyber.

City of heroes was like that as well in the eu servers but didnt encounter it in the us ones. Umm...yah! So i stick to rping irl -.-

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Wispah

Silly question; why else should I play a role playing game?

Might sound strange. I read all the comments of people not interested in RP but I seriously still not really get it why they play RPGs with no interest in RPG. I respect it, if its their fun to not do who am I to disagree as long as it does not affect mine? But I just don't understand it.

• djvapiddjvapid Member Posts: 80

The guy that said that a lot of us work and have families, which eats at our time as it is, made a very solid point.  You don't see a lot of RP these days that isn't inside of the guild because, frankly, the gaming community is growing up.  They're new gamers to replace us older generation guys, sure, but I don't think a good portion of them appreciate the story as much as the gameplay.  

To those of us who love some good RPG in an MMO, we have grown up and just don't have the free time that we used to have.   You basically have to decide whether or not you want to RP or if you want to actually experience the game.  Find me an MMO that forces you to incorporate both and you might have me sold.  (Which would probably be detrimental to the business plan, because noone should be forced to RP.) 

Now, with all that said, I don't think MMORPGs are really a very friendly enviroment for actual roleplay anyway.  Especially if you compare it to the old MUDs and MUSHs (text based gaming long before the first MMOs surfaced).  Once you've seen RP on a text based level, seeing it in a MMO with such things as character limits (limiting the number of words you can type in one message) and an influx of younger generation gamers.

With that said, what I've noticed nowadays and in the passed 7 or so years, roleplay just seems to be an excuse for cyber sex.  (How many times have we walked through Iron Forge's tran tunnels rather than jumping on the train itself and caught two people cybering?)   Nuff said.  :)

Nowadays, I just find a good group of people to enjoy a game with.  Actually roleplaying out my characters doesn't happen anymore nor do I have the time when I just want to experience what the game has to offer itself.   But a game is as good as you make it out to be.  Or as bad. 

In the end, considering most games are theme based and so very few (Fallen Earth, SWG) are sandbox, it's no surprise you see a large drop off in interest in the RP elements offered by MMOs and begin questioning the "RPG" in MMORPG.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

No, I don't like role-playing.  I'm not against it at all!  I dig role-players as long as they just let me be mute and mind my own business.  When they want me to get involved, I'm not interested. 

If I ever say anything in "SAY", it is role-playing, but I rarely do that.  I'm sure to create characters with good RP type names, nothing like Mastakilla, or even Darkblade.  Those are week names.  Get more creative.  What I like to do is type random letters until something sounds good.  Leinadil.  Maetrumir.  Kind of like that.

So, I consider myself a light role player.  I keep with the world, but don't want to involve myself that way.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by anothername

Originally posted by Wispah

Silly question; why else should I play a role playing game?

Might sound strange. I read all the comments of people not interested in RP but I seriously still not really get it why they play RPGs with no interest in RPG. I respect it, if its their fun to not do who am I to disagree as long as it does not affect mine? But I just don't understand it.

The moment i make my character in MMO i assume role of my character. You are taking meaning of RPG way too literally. Only because it is an RPG doesn't mean i have to stay in character most of the time. There is a reason why there are seperate RP servers. And no i don't like to indulge in role playing. Neither do i have that much free time these days.

• B-RaanB-Raan Member Posts: 15

I'm an old school D&D player. So whenever I pick up a new MMORPG, I roleplay. Sometimes I get greeted with hostility, but mostly people just think I'm crazy.

• imagirl01imagirl01 Member Posts: 14

I used to roleplay on Never Winter Nights (not NWN2, couldn't stand the awful camera).  It was actually fun for awhile, with a persistent world where folks rp'd pirates and smugglers, necromancers, vampires, werewolves, the average every day dwarf, human, elf populous and then the drow society underground.

The reason I don't anymore is because of the drama, every now and again even in the midst of a beautiful rp experience directed by talented DMs there is always that one person that wrecks the show, and far too often its the person hosting the game or the person who is lead DM, or the person who put in the most effort/holds the actual gaming world saved on their drives.

They force people out of the game, wreak havoc on people having a good time and ruin communities.  I finally turned my back on trying to rp altogether because every time, it didn't matter which server,  there was always this period of being a new guy, then being an involved person, then the period of growth which could be months to a year, then the bad apple rising and ultimate near desertion or toppling of a beloved server.

If I could rp with mature people who don't throw fits, or pick eachother apart when their own real life or gaming experiences aren't flowing the way they wanted, then I would definitely return as I love the 'involved' writing that comes when others ultimately shape your character's influences and experiences.

Nowadays I just play single player rpgs like the witcher, dragon age, and mass effect.

I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by imagirl01

I used to roleplay on Never Winter Nights (not NWN2, couldn't stand the awful camera).  It was actually fun for awhile, with a persistent world where folks rp'd pirates and smugglers, necromancers, vampires, werewolves, the average every day dwarf, human, elf populous and then the drow society underground.

The reason I don't anymore is because of the drama, every now and again even in the midst of a beautiful rp experience directed by talented DMs there is always that one person that wrecks the show, and far too often its the person hosting the game or the person who is lead DM, or the person who put in the most effort/holds the actual gaming world saved on their drives.

They force people out of the game, wreak havoc on people having a good time and ruin communities.  I finally turned my back on trying to rp altogether because every time, it didn't matter which server,  there was always this period of being a new guy, then being an involved person, then the period of growth which could be months to a year, then the bad apple rising and ultimate near desertion or toppling of a beloved server.

If I could rp with mature people who don't throw fits, or pick eachother apart when their own real life or gaming experiences aren't flowing the way they wanted, then I would definitely return as I love the 'involved' writing that comes when others ultimately shape your character's influences and experiences.

Nowadays I just play single player rpgs like the witcher, dragon age, and mass effect.

I had a somewhat better experience on an NWN server. Oh there were problems along the way, some of them creating enough drama that you had to ask yourself if it were worth it, but most of us perservered. The server I played on had a decent owner who originally also admined the server. However he wasn't really all that talented with scripting so he passed the job of admin on to one of the players and she was fantastic as an admin. But time moved on and so did she and the admins that came after her were nowhere near as talented and the server shifted direction in such a way that it just wasn't the same place. All told I played for three years on that server. I was very much burned out on roleplaying by the time I finally quit.

After that I moved on to MMOs and had no desire whatsoever to roleplay. However it's been a long while since I last roleplayed to any extent and I find myself missing it. I joined a roleplay guild in AoC and am having a decent enough time, but AoC isn't really a game I want to commit to. I'm now hoping I can find a good roleplaying guild in TOR and would like to get back into some serious roleplaying fun. Hopefully without the drama, but drama seems to be a problem in guilds and the like whether they're roleplayers or not. People are people and there's always going to be someone who stirs up trouble.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Sometimes roleplay but most MMOs really don't offer many mechanics to play out anything other than their story. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, just that after a decade or so I wish there were more games where I could play out my own story.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by B-Raan

I'm an old school D&D player. So whenever I pick up a new MMORPG, I roleplay. Sometimes I get greeted with hostility, but mostly people just think I'm crazy.

Same here. I still enjoy it, but it's becoming quite a challenge. If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around, does it make a sound? I guess I can still flirt with the NPC's.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I would prefer to role-play but I haven't had a positive experience with it since EQ1- I was able to meet quite a few fun, imaginative people then however as has been said in this thread with the change in demographics and the streamlining of the genre there isn't really room for it in the MMOs I have played of late.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

I like role playing.  It's fun to get to be who I want in a free world and do as him as I please.  That cannot be done in MMOs normally, without putting in that extra imagination.

Immersion would be great to have in our modern games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I do what I call my "internal roleplay".

if I'm soloing then I imagine the character that my avatar embodies. I mostly do this in single player games but in mmo's I do it when I solo.

When I'm in a group it's just not feasible as mostly people are themselves. If I was in a group of role players I might play along.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • imagirl01imagirl01 Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by imagirl01

I had a somewhat better experience on an NWN server. Oh there were problems along the way, some of them creating enough drama that you had to ask yourself if it were worth it, but most of us perservered. The server I played on had a decent owner who originally also admined the server. However he wasn't really all that talented with scripting so he passed the job of admin on to one of the players and she was fantastic as an admin. But time moved on and so did she and the admins that came after her were nowhere near as talented and the server shifted direction in such a way that it just wasn't the same place. All told I played for three years on that server. I was very much burned out on roleplaying by the time I finally quit.

After that I moved on to MMOs and had no desire whatsoever to roleplay. However it's been a long while since I last roleplayed to any extent and I find myself missing it. I joined a roleplay guild in AoC and am having a decent enough time, but AoC isn't really a game I want to commit to. I'm now hoping I can find a good roleplaying guild in TOR and would like to get back into some serious roleplaying fun. Hopefully without the drama, but drama seems to be a problem in guilds and the like whether they're roleplayers or not. People are people and there's always going to be someone who stirs up trouble.

This was a period of years though, I'm embarrassed to admit it but I've played NWN since 2003 and over years of playing, intermittently with various mmos to balance out the crazy, this issue happened.  The first few times you get over it and shrug it off.  After awhile when its the same people ruining your gaming experiences because they just migrate over the same servers again and again stirring up mayhem it becomes too tedious.  Years later, I flat out became apathetic and even anti-social in-game, preferring soloing and anything I could do by myself to avoid interacting with people that I didn't know in real life.

I've gotten over myself in that respect because mmos have drama and sometimes it can be annoying but, the community is never as close as the rp communities were so it didn't bother me as much.  If I got mad enough I'd just switch servers and it was almost guaranteed the problem person(s) would not follow.  I only usually leave mmos due to boredom, in the exception of WoW--I left there for community/guild reasons.

I'm not racist, I hate everyone equally.

• TokyojoeTokyojoe Member Posts: 49

I might like role playing I guess if it was with a large group of players who were imagining they were part of the game they were playing. I have never role played. But I have listened to others who do for years. It's always the same thing; torrid soap operas about violent,misunderstood outlaw men sitting in Inns. And the (maybe female,maybe not)  shy but dangerous women who love them despite their sexist,abusive,groping ways, and loping off of pieces of the bar, smelly pets,and never -ending shuffling of boots. Like sands through the hour glass,so go the days of our life...

I may know the least here,but I am the loudest about what I do know.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I enjoy roleplaying games on paper, but I find it doesn't usually work in video games.  If there is even one person in the group who doesn't play along, it doesn't seem to work for anybody.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

I enjoy roleplaying games on paper, but I find it doesn't usually work in video games.  If there is even one person in the group who doesn't play along, it doesn't seem to work for anybody.

This thread reflects just how tragically screwed up this genre is, and it was probably screwed up before "video games" were ever introduced into it.  There is role-playing, and then there is role-performing.

Role-performing is basically just acting.  You are taking a script you thought up before you logged on and giving your character proper attributes and dialects for the pre-created storyline.  No, this never works out well in a multiplayer scenario.  In truth, this style of playing is almost in direct opposition to real role-playing and can interfere with gameplay even more severely than metagaming.

Role-playing is simply doing what your character would do in the context of the game.  Would your character save the damsel in distress, or would your character be the cause of the damsel's distress?  Would you try to steal that shiny from the bandit, or would you try to get it back to hand it over to its rightful owner?  Would you attack the capital of Lordaeron, or would you sail the seas in search of adventure?

Role-playing is a lot less theatrical and formal than people are trying to make it out to be.  At the core it's simply decision-making combined with some combat styles and skill preferences.  In a good roleplaying group of adventurers, people would be mostly quiet and concentrated on the environment.  Goofy idiosyncracies and funny dialects are just cool fluffy stuff added on top, hopefully saved for less intense situations.