Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drewciferianisms: The NEXT Big Thing?

romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

http://drewciferianisms.blogspot.com/2011/05/guild-wars-2-next-big-thing.

A nice long blog from a person who started skeptical and is now a fan of GW2.

Comments

• ormstungaormstunga Member Posts: 736

Originally posted by romanator0

http://drewciferianisms.blogspot.com/2011/05/guild-wars-2-next-big-thing.

A nice long blog from a person who started skeptical and is now a fan of GW2.

Deja Vu. And from this exact forum if I'm not mistaken. But ye good read second time around aswell.

edit: I'm interested in how the lack of "holy trinity" will work out, and also the part about "less UI" is kinda nice. The rest is just filler. Sure didnt convince me to play, but only actual gameplay can do that so... (or starwars IP, sry not trolling just inb4 trolls).

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Or this excellent ambassador video, cruelly overlooked imo (not mine!):

Guild Wars 2: 60 Reasons

Top vid. image

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Not trying to start a pages-long debate here (though I do seem to have a knack for doing so :P) but just a genuine question:

How did he start skeptical?

He enjoyed RIFT but got bored. He then tried EvE which he liked but couldn't see himself playing full-time. He then started looking into GW2 which he previously ignored (ignoring != skeptical) about which he immediatly became extremely excited.

Where exactly is his period of skepticism in which he doubts the GW2 features will be right for him?

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the blog post. But I was looking forward to reading how someone turned from skepticism to fan, hopefully something I could identify with as most fan-made things about GW2, including this blog post, strike me as a bit... rabid (no offense intended).

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by gobla

Not trying to start a pages-long debate here (though I do seem to have a knack for doing so :P) but just a genuine question:

He enjoyed RIFT but got bored. He then tried EvE which he liked but couldn't see himself playing full-time. He then started looking into GW2 which he previously ignored (ignoring != skeptical) about which he immediatly became extremely excited.

Where exactly is his period of skepticism in which he doubts the GW2 features will be right for him?

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with the blog post. But I was looking forward to reading how someone turned from skepticism to fan, hopefully something I could identify with as most fan-made things about GW2, including this blog post, strike me as a bit... rabid (no offense intended).

No offense Gobla, I do mean that, because I generally enjoy reading everything you write as a natural "between the lines" kind of guy...

But haven't you caught on to the fact that your standards are different than the majorities yet?

He was indeed skeptic, because he saw the name "Guild Wars 2" and said SHRUG, he obviously didn't ignore it because he was able to keep it in the back of his mind from the time of RIFT beta until this month.

Allow me to postface this with "Good Read", this guy might have just got put on my radar assuming his articles are always this thoughtful.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I am still not sure what it is about GW2 people like. I think I may need to do some more research on the game but if it has anything resemblance to GW I don't think I could play it.

Well... It's vastly different than anything else on the market, that immediately removes it from the same tier as pretty much everything.

I honestly can't compare it to any other game, because it is different. That's that.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by karat76

I am still not sure what it is about GW2 people like. I think I may need to do some more research on the game but if it has anything resemblance to GW I don't think I could play it.

You should start with reading the link provided by the op, gw2 is not anything like the orriginal GW. Its full fledged mmo this time.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

No offense Gobla, I do mean that, because I generally enjoy reading everything you write as a natural "between the lines" kind of guy...

But haven't you caught on to the fact that your standards are different than the majorities yet?

He was indeed skeptic, because he saw the name "Guild Wars 2" and said SHRUG, he obviously didn't ignore it because he was able to keep it in the back of his mind from the time of RIFT beta until this month.

Allow me to postface this with "Good Read", this guy might have just got put on my radar assuming his articles are always this thoughtful.

I'm very well aware that my standards were different then the majorities.

The whole skeptic thing made me think that this guy was, at first, part of the same minority as me as I consider myself a skeptic of GW2. And I was interested to see how someone who first thought at least in the general direction of what I thought would come to be a fan of GW2.

I consider a skeptic someone who actively spends time doubting something. Not just shrugging at it. 

Skepticism: Skepticism (or scepticism) has many definitions, but generally refers to any questioning attitude of knowledge, facts, or opinions/beliefs stated as facts, or doubt regarding claims that are taken for granted elsewhere.

I don't see much questioning of GW2 going on in his blog post and as such I wouldn't consider the blogger a skeptic.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

I'll agree the end result of his post is... well...

Not skeptical at all, but can you not at least see where the word skeptic comes into play?

Just because someone is not all in, doesn't mean their thought process wasn't skeptical if you actually consider his beliefs about Guild Wars 2 prior to investing time into learning about the game.

I will go ahead and also say this, I am not going to have a conversation about this with you. I know I am right, and I know you are right. So let's not go in to how "He wasn't skeptic" enough.

I respect your opinions pretty much every time they are raised to public view, but I do not want to have another circle of ridiculousness that was the engineer thread.

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

I'll agree the end result of his post is... well...

Not skeptical at all, but can you not at least see where the word skeptic comes into play?

Just because someone is not all in, doesn't mean their thought process wasn't skeptical if you actually consider his beliefs about Guild Wars 2 prior to investing time into learning about the game.

I will go ahead and also say this, I am not going to have a conversation about this with you. I know I am right, and I know you are right. So let's not go in to how "He wasn't skeptic" enough.

I respect your opinions pretty much every time they are raised to public view, but I do not want to have another circle of ridiculousness that was the engineer thread.

Heh, don't worry :P.

Let's just say I was dissapointed that he wasn't more skeptic and that I would have enjoyed reading a post from such a person (someone who remained skeptic after reading about the game) and leave it at that :P.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

Now THAT is something I can agree with whole-heartedly. Incoming PM.

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

Despite the article, this is actually a really good collection of videos! This makes me realise that perhaps it would be worthwhile to create a page somewhere that collects every video that's been released, properly categorised, from official to demo videos, and with the demo videos being separated into official and unofficial, and then the unoffiical ones sorted by quality. It'd probably work well on a wiki page somewhere.

Then that could be something we could link to people as people prefer to watch than read, usually, and that could help spread the word even further about Guild Wars 2. It's just a thought, anyway, because it seems like that's something which could really help. And again, I had the idea because there are some great videos there collected in that one article.

I really enjoyed that last video. I've seen it before, but it was fun watching it again. C:

Colin Johansen: "I'm gonna play a charr because I wanna be a badass. :]"
    Off-camera Person: "Are you a badass?"
    Colin Johansen: "No! :O But I wanna be one!"

I was also surprised how much support there is for the charr amongst the higher-ups, how many of them relate to/want to play a charr. That's all sorts of awesome and it makes me happy.

But yeah, this was a great collection of videos, and videos can help respark the old hype. So perhaps... well, I won't go over my idea again.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Originally posted by gobla

Seems more like he started apathetic, which is different, I agree.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

Probably the next MMO I am playing for sure.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by karat76

It's just being different.  And it's quite different from GW.  Well, more then quite...literally, and figuratively, a totally different game.

The big selling point, from what I've noticed, are 3 main ones.

1, Dynamic Events that scale, equal rewarding to every participant and happen whether a player is there or not.

2, No pre-defined roles to establish yourself with.  No need to build a character to tank.  No need to build a character to heal/support.  No need to build a straight damage dealer.  No, this game allows you to fill any of those roles any time, any where.

3, Buy to play.  No subscription fee.

Other points that stood out to me personally:

- Personal story line.  Being related to the world is what grips me into any MMO.  It's why I was so infatuated with WoW.  I could relate my Warcraft, Warcraft II and Warcraft III experiences with it.  Like you, I didn't enjoy GW all that much.  But I'm finding the wiki on it to be very interesting, which in turn makes GW2 and their novels more interesting.  

- Sidekick system.  My game hours usually differs from most of my friends, so most of the time we're all vastly different levels/progressed.  While I'm stuck grinding away on levels, some are off taking down a giant dragon...doesn't seem fun, does it?  Well, no worries here.  Just group up, you're brought up to the leaders level and away you go.  Also works vice versa if I read it right.

- PvE and PvP system aren't a melting pot.  It's more of a dual-culture system.  Both exist in the large scheme of things, but remain separate enough and distinct enough from one another that they don't interfere with each other in a direct way.

And many other points.  

The point is, however, is that there really isn't anything to...dislike about GW2.  It's understandable to be skeptical of it, also understandable to be obsessed with it, but I don't think ArenaNets actually given anyone to outright hate the game in anyway.  There are a number of issues that are split, but they're more of a preference thing (like the engineer profession for example).

Still a lot of time, maybe even another year, before it launches, so plenty of time to just sink your head into it once in awhile.  

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by rykim86

- Sidekick system.  My game hours usually differs from most of my friends, so most of the time we're all vastly different levels/progressed.  While I'm stuck grinding away on levels, some are off taking down a giant dragon...doesn't seem fun, does it?  Well, no worries here.  Just group up, you're brought up to the leaders level and away you go.  Also works vice versa if I read it right.

Sort of. Downranking happens automatically if a high-level player enters a lower-level area. He's then brought in line with the surrounding content.

Upranking requires a higher-level buddy to sidekick you up.