Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF help picking a video card!

SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

I want to buy a new video card. Somthing reeeeally high end. Money is not a factor to me, but i would like to try and keep it under 600$. Let me first start off by showing you all my computer specs and this can give you guys an idea of what i can use.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor 2.90 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable)

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Current Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Can someone help me find some parts to really juice this thing up.

I want to be able to run games on very high settings.

Ty for any advice. I appreciate any.

Comments

• GwingGwing Member Posts: 85

im running dual radeon 5770 and all i can say is i cant find a game i cant run at full...and the cards are only 120-130 new...i read a review sumwhere i cant remember where but they stated that two 5770 is just as good as one high end radeon 5850 or 5870 cant remmeber wich one...google is your friend...i never had luck with geforce cards...i used to loev them..bought about 4 in my life and everytime i got one i could never run anythign full grpahics or they would burn out fast...so i got a radeon and all i can say is wow...so i recommend a radeon card for u my friend

• GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'm running a single 6970 and it is pretty beasly.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by Gwing

im running dual radeon 5770 and all i can say is i cant find a game i cant run at full...and the cards are only 120-130 new...i read a review sumwhere i cant remember where but they stated that two 5770 is just as good as one high end radeon 5850 or 5870 cant remmeber wich one...google is your friend...i never had luck with geforce cards...i used to loev them..bought about 4 in my life and everytime i got one i could never run anythign full grpahics or they would burn out fast...so i got a radeon and all i can say is wow...so i recommend a radeon card for u my friend

I have a Radeon now and its pretty damn nice. It runs some games pretty great like Warhammer, WoW

(when i did play) ect. But FPS games, and FFXiV. Especially FFXIV. I cant even run graphics on that game even worth looking at. Thats why i want to really juice this thing up so i can run any game good

• regubareguba Member Posts: 56

Yeah, as far as high end goes, you're looking at the Radeon HD 6xxx series or the Nvidia GTX 5xx series. You can get some pretty beastly cards for under $600. Heck you could even snag two high end cards for around $250-300 a piece and put them in SLI or Crossfire (Nvidia or ATI cards respectively) to really pack a punch.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

For up to $600 the best bang for your buck will be Xfire dual video cards:

XFX HD695XZDDC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($270 x 2)

Personally, if I was looking for an upgrade I would go for a single powerful card, and later down the line find the same one used and go for the dual setup.

Single card reccommendation would be: (since you said money is no object this one is a bit over $600)

XFX HD-699A-ENF9 Radeon HD 6990 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card with Eyefinity ($735)

If money truly is no object:

EVGA 03G-P3-1599-AR GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi) Classified Hydro Copper 3072MB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ($880)

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by JthX

I want to buy a new video card. Somthing reeeeally high end. Money is not a factor to me, but i would like to try and keep it under 600$. Let me first start off by showing you all my computer specs and this can give you guys an idea of what i can use.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor 2.90 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 6.00 GB (5.75 GB usable)

System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Current Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 4200

Can someone help me find some parts to really juice this thing up.

I want to be able to run games on very high settings.

Ty for any advice. I appreciate any.

spend half of your $600 on a SSD, and the other half on a 570gtx or something lower then that:D

since you are using an HP, your powersupply will likely have issues pushing any real vid card to be honest:D

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

It entirely depends on your motherboard and having the PSU that can handle it. Your prebuilt HP doesn't currently have a video card - it has on board or "integrated" graphics. Try downloading and running this program:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

It will tell you everything you need to know about your motherboard. You need at least one PCI express 2.0/2.1 expansion slot to be able to upgrade. If you have two you can run sli/crossfire but it's doubtful your pre built system has two lanes running at 16X so I'd focus on getting one fast card. No need to blow $600 really as cards in the $300-$400 range will run anything you want on high. Once you start going for the ultra high end you are leaving "Bang for the Buck" territory which essentially means you are wasting money.

Try this HD 6970 for $360:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125381

or this GTX 570 for $345 ($315 w/rebate):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125365

Spending more right now will not give you enough for your dollar to justify it. Also feel free to go with a different brand but I happen to like Gigabyte and am running their 6850s in crossfire. Add in a good quality PSU with a MINIMUM of 600 watts (prefferably 700) and your good.

• Ravnos80Ravnos80 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Bought this one back at the end of Jan and have been very happy with it.

Seriously...who suggests 350$ cards?? o.O

With dual 6850s, should you go that route, you'll want a psu in the neighborhood of 700-750watts after you figure in everything else that's consuming power inside your case. 

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

Lol i am still running ATI Readon 4850  HD and i run most if not all things on max,(with out anti alising and a blur,you know shit stuff)

Only problme with 4850 is that he heats up really fast,As i live in the middle east the card sometimes goes to 100C....

So just get a better card then 4850 HD and you are set.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Dual 5770would be a great option, saves you $ on better power suply to, a high end card needs a monster of power suply and they keep costing money as you turn them on. 

A single 5770 runs on your basic cheap ass 350w power suply they are using realy low power and give high preformance. a 500w powersuply and two 5770 will keep you under $400 and give as much if not more preformance then a current highend overprized showoff gatged and it will cost less in power consuption, saving you money monthly and saving nature a bit to if you care for it at all.

Originally posted by Ravnos80

I suggested them because the OP said money wasn't an issue. I also own two of the card you suggested in crossfire. If money isn't an issue go with the $300 card as that's typically the biggest bang for buck on the high end. No offense but our 6850s are not high end cards - they are midrange.

• Ravnos80Ravnos80 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Haha...I know...it's just not often you see people seriously suggesting 350-400$ cards. =P

With dual 6850s, should you go that route, you'll want a psu in the neighborhood of 700-750watts after you figure in everything else that's consuming power inside your case. 

Also depends on the OPs motherboard though. A model # hasn't been provided so we don't know how many 16x lanes there are. As a cheap store model with integrated graphics, I doubt its a good crossfire/sli motherboard. Better to opt for the fast single card.

Oh and OP - Make sure it will fit in your HP case!! (measure ahead of time)

Originally posted by jpnole

Also depends on the OPs motherboard though. A model # hasn't been provided so we don't know how many 16x lanes there are. As a cheap store model with integrated graphics, I doubt its a good crossfire/sli motherboard. Better to opt for the fast single card.

Model # p6774y

And to upgrade my post. I will be happy getting something that will let me run FFXiV on great graphics

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you've got a Hewlett-Packard computer with integrated graphics, then the case probably doesn't have much airflow, and the power supply probably isn't very good, either.  So you should assume that if you're going to add a new video card, you'll need to replace the power supply.  You'll also need an external exhaust card to help with airflow.  I'd also say that it's better to get an AMD card if cooling is an issue, because of their much better performance per watt.

Depending on your budget, either of these would probably work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150506

You'll need to measure how much room you've got in your case, to determine how long of a card will fit.  A higher end card likely wouldn't physically fit in your case.

For a power supply, this would be adequate for a 5770:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

It's probably not the best idea to pair that with a 6870, though.  This would be plenty for either card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047

Model # p6774y

And to upgrade my post. I will be happy getting something that will let me run FFXiV on great graphics

It appears your computer is this or something similar?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1757113.p?id=1218289377288&skuId=1757113

Having a heck of a time getting the specs on this mobo - can anyone help out? Looking for the number of PCI lanes and their speed.

Wait yeah forget the crossfire on that case - take Quizzical's advice.

Model # p6774y

As expected, you've got a cheap junk Micro ATX motherboard with only one PCI Express x16 slot.  Incidentally, it's a Foxconn, which implies the "cheap junk" part.  CrossFire is completely out of the question.

If you've got ideas about maxing settings in most games, you're probably better off just replacing the computer entirely, rather than trying to work around all the cut corners in the machine that HP sells you.  If you just want to run games on reasonably high settings, then you'll be able to do that with a video card upgrade.

A Radeon HD 5770 will probably offer around 10 times the graphical performance of your current integrated graphics.  A Radeon HD 6870 is maybe 70% faster than a Radeon HD 5770.  I don't think going higher end than the 6870 is a good idea with your case.

You should also open up the case and see how much space you have.  If nothing overhangs the motherboard, so that if the motherboard weren't screwed in, you would be able to pull the motherboard straight out of the case without tilting it, then a 6870 will fit.  If there is something hanging over the motherboard, then you'll have to make sure it doesn't physically block a video card.

Model # p6774y

It appears your computer is this or something similar?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop+/+AMD+Phenom%26%23153%3B+II+Processor+/+6GB+Memory+/+1TB+Hard+Drive/1757113.p?id=1218289377288&skuId=1757113

Having a heck of a time getting the specs on this mobo - can anyone help out? Looking for the number of PCI lanes and their speed.

Wait yeah forget the crossfire on that case - take Quizzical's advice.

yes. i did buy it from best buy. that must be it

If someone buys an HP computer and gives you the model, you can find the specs on HP's web site.  Doing a Google search for the model usually turns up the right page.  In this case, here's the computer:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02629593&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=5049534#N66

And here's the motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02560084&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=5049534