Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daggerfall, Morrowind or Oblivion.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I actually have all 3. Daggerfall(Emulater) Morrowind with all expansions and Oblivion with expansion. I have copies for both my console and PC. I am wondering, which is more enjoyable for you.? I actually enjoy Morrowind the best out of all my titles. The non-linear world as well as the very good character development has kept me addicted to this title for a while now.

While I like Oblivion, it is a bit restrictive. While somewhat open, it does have features that makes you feel more like a character being guided.  Still a good game. But in my opinion, it isnt Morrowind!  Daggerfall, the most open of all three, and very fun.. Graphics are much outdated. The quest system, best I have ever seen!

As such. I would like you to vote if you have played these titles. Also share what you like or dislike about the gameplay. Whats your favorite of the three.

Forgot to add, I like my PC version of Morrowind better than my Xbox version. But I like the Xbox version of Oblivion better than my PC version.

Comments

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

You forget Elder Scroll:ARENA (PC 1994, MSDOS)but ok its ancient and prolly hard to get these days and play.

Elder Scroll 2:Daggerfall(PC 1996, MSDOS) was buggy as i remember and world was huge alot of empty space.

When Elder Scroll 3:Morrowind came(PC 2002), i was HOOKED i never played a game that looked so beautiful and feeled like a mmo but solo combat sometimes was annoying but was somehow not that bad becouse rest was so great in this game, ive prolly with MODs for this game played most hours ever.

Elder Scroll 4:Oblivion(PC 2006) if right MODs(MODs keep this game for me alive) is great but way to easy and to much made for casuals, graphics where awesome and combat was better then Morrowind.

Now eagerly waiting for Elder scrolls 5:Skyrim (PC 2011) i realy hope it will be awesome and they dont change to much and stick to there Elder scroll gameplay heritage and not go to much casual actionif so, then im done with whole RPG of today.

We as PC gamers also finally need damn DX11 games not the ancient DX9 xp era games that are mainly badly ported from console to PC.

Skyrim it seems shows how they can squeeze everything out of DX9 to last byte to make it beautifull with great graphics.

Big let downs lately are DA2(bad console action game for pc) TW2(not realy TW1(i loved this one) anymore) Witcher 2(becouse of combat just terible) and Fable 3(bad port plus less rpg, more simulation) all are way to much console and less PC(Mass Effect series is not rpg worthy to me).

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Daggerfall is now freeware. I don't have the link though and you'll need a DOS emulator like DOSbox.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Morrowing is the way to go from the overhyped series. Oblivion is just a generic semi-randomly produced mix of RPG and FPS. I'd pick Risen or Gothic 1 & 2 anytime if I had a mood for open 3D Action Fantasy RPG.

REALITY CHECK

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Daggerfall and Oblivion are more similar to one another than you'd think, but I'd go with Morrowind because of its uniquely alien setting and excellent, seamlessly integrated lore into everything you see as you play through it. It doesn't need to hammer it into your head, it's just there.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Morrowind had unique world, and expansions were good, it was very large and didnt have quest tracking ( the worst thing in Oblivion), but thouse bird-mob-thingies were sooooo annoying (some1 made mod later for that problem).

But I voted for Oblivion, somehow I liked it more, better controls, great character creator whitch is very important thing for me, and NPC characters are better too( they visit places, sleep, lock their houses, and were voiced and so on...).

Morrowind gave much more gametime, much more challenge, better quests and story and it is better then Oblivion, but there was just a lot of thing in Morrowind thet were very annoying (remember being a stealth class, u had to hold sneak button wholetime- there was a mod to fix it but still... and a lot of other things...)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I appreciated Daggerfall's immensely sized world, doing whatever I want, where I want, but I don't think I can hang with its graphics today.  It introduced me to the different RPG staple of "welcome to the world of ____, now have it," which I did like.

On the opposite end is the more recent of the 3 the OP listed, Oblivion.  Of the 3, Oblivion's the best graphically.  When I first got it, I soon hated the game because of the god-awful feature that the game automatically levelled stuff up to your level or higher.  It made the game's flow and feel of the encounters completely out of whack.  It was weird facing a common bandit that was decked out with the game's best equipment.  In trying to complete the game, going out of your way to level up and improve made the game way harder and look ridiculous because of the game levelling everything up to you.  In short, any sense of progression dies the more you play.  I had a friend who was a pure XBox player and went with Oblivion, but he had the same complaint that the game became way too hard.

But this is greatly helped by mods which alters, adds, revises game mechanics to your tastes.  I can go on, but the ONLY reason to try Oblivion are the mods.  I can't suggest trying Vanilla Oblivion.

Then you got Morrowind, which was released in the years between Daggerfall and Oblivion.  Graphically, it's not impressive, but it gets the job done still.  But you still have the character skill progression that's a staple of the Elder Scrolls game.  I will also repeat what someone else said on these boards about it:  Morrowind's game atmosephere is very unique.  More so than Oblivion.  When you've tried the other 2 and then put some time into Morrowind, you'll see.  And this is the vanilla version I'm talking about, before mods got involved for me.

Side note:  Wonder when Bethesda's going to implement mounted combat.  They've introduced horses for riding in Oblivion, but you can't fight.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Tough call.  Voted Morrowind based on the emotional impact it had during play.  I spent countless hours and nothing felt so good as getting back to transportation... "Why walk when you can ride?"

The strongest point in Oblivion for me was the Dark Brotherhood (Black Hand) quests.  Of course the graphics were (and still are) incredible.

I never played Daggerfall.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

I realy did not mind walking around in Morrowind i LOVED it:)

I also loved how you could find so many books in morrowind and some gave some extra to your skills ive read most of them:).

Going around shore and find some wreck with treasure chest or some dead bodie with nice loot or so many caves with all kinds of secrets i LOVED it.

And even today with overhaul MOD 2011 morrowind looks like oblivion graphics so many great mods for elder scroll games that also made these games great.

But i agree the dark brotherhood quest and some other quests where great in oblivion.

• Harleking89Harleking89 Member Posts: 68

Agree with what has been said already. Oblivion had better graphics and certain quests (Dark Brotherhood) that were cool, but the "monsters level up with you" thing felt so bad when I noticed it. Talking vanilla Oblivion here of course.

Morrowind on the other hand... Everything about it was right for me, WITHOUT any mods. A very alien world, as has been said. Skills, levelling up, difficulty... No complaints. It was good. So Morrowind gets my vote, even when Oblivion is modded.

I hope Skyrim will take the best from all the games and mix them together. The Dark Brotherhood questline from Oblivion has to be mentioned, it was really nice and evil (lol). I'm glad I've played a thief in both Morrowind and Oblivion...

All it takes is one bad day.

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

I personally prefered Morrowind as I did not appreciate Oblivion saying here, do what you want but... oh, by the way, the fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders unless you do what we ask. Morrowind was more, you are no longer a slave... have fun. It felt a lot more like an actual world where as Oblivion was more a Bioware, Dragon Age'esque story driven RPG where you are playing, not your character, but there's.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by grunty

Daggerfall is now freeware. I don't have the link though and you'll need a DOS emulator like DOSbox.

You can get both Daggerfall and Arena right from the Bethesda Elder Scrolls website for free.

As for which is best. For gameplay I would have to go with Daggerfall as it had the most active combat system and the most skills. For immersion I would go with Morrowind as the land of Vardenfell was just amazingly detailed and huge with almost an endless supply of content. Of course Oblivion stomps them both for visuals and fluidity of the animations. Lets hope Bethesda can roll all of these aspects into one package with Skyrim.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

I love Morrowind and right this very second will start playing Daggerfall.  I feel Oblivion, while very pretty, skipped out on too much content.

I'm really afraid that will happen to Skyrim as well.  They're gonna make it look as pretty as it can be... and take out everything that makes Elder Scrolls.. well, Elder Scrolls.

As a hardcore gamer I don't want next generation graphics, I want next generation gameplay!

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

I voted Oblivion, with a healthy dose of mods.  I played Morrowind when it first came out and didn't get very far.  The cliff racers were beyond annoying and the pace was too slow for someone who mainly played FPS at the time.   I tried to go back and give Morrowind another shot this year after the Morroblivion mod came out, and even with better graphics it hasn't aged well.  Vanilla Oblivion is ok, but it really starts to shine with the right mods. 

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Morrowind and Daggerfall. Try Morrowind Overhaul.

Oblivion is a shit stain filled with anime loving weabo modders who do nothing but make sex mods.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Warzod

I personally prefered Morrowind as I did not appreciate Oblivion saying here, do what you want but... oh, by the way, the fate of the entire world rests on your shoulders unless you do what we ask. Morrowind was more, you are no longer a slave... have fun. It felt a lot more like an actual world where as Oblivion was more a Bioware, Dragon Age'esque story driven RPG where you are playing, not your character, but there's.

What?

that's the exact story in morrowind. One can choose not to do it. Just like one can choose not to do the main story in Oblviion.

Oblvioin can be just as open as morrowind. And though I preferred Morrowind because it seemed to have more options, one can easily play Oblvion without doing any quests. My roommate was proof of that. He started some of the quests and essentially only did the quests he found along the way. Never really did any of the quests for the guilds, only dropped martin off at cloud ruler temple and that was it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Erstok

Oblivion is a shit stain filled with anime loving weabo modders who do nothing but make sex mods.

There are plenty of non-sex non anime mods for oblvion.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Daggerfall, hands down: for the sheer scale if nothing else.

Edit: Morrowind was nice, but the radically different architecture of all the faction towns felt a little too cliche.  Almost like it was trying to impart a sense of themepark, if you can apply that to a single player game.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Morrowind without a doubt.

Oblivion wasn't bad but it just doesn't compare to a masterpiece like Morrowind.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

Never played Daggerfall, but saw what it was like and just never got around to ever playing it.

Morrowind I had on the PC first and then bought the GOTY Xbox Edition and enjoyed it twice, what an amazing experience.

Oblivion, I'm actually playing it again a second time through, I last played it back in 2007 and put in around 120hours of my time.  I never bought the expansions so this time, I'm playing all the expansions and I'm having a great time in this game all over again.

I love both Morrowind and Oblivion, I can't say which one I like more, they both just have so much greatness between them. If I had to choose one, I would give a slight nudge to Morrowind. LOL, this is the only single player game I've ever put 500 hours of my life into and would have to say it was all worth my time.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by Erstok

I watched the video and... Holy cow !!! This is my dream for Morrowind coming true.

My vote went to Morrowind.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

I had to vote for Morrowind because I liked the main story more than in Oblivion. Also, I enjoyed a lot the side quests for vampires and exploration around daedric ruins, specially when you discovered a clickable statue and happened to be a quest from a daedra god.

edit: Oblivion's main story was very predictable, but Morrowind's main story quests were epic!

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

If you enjoy dungeons, exploration, storyline, politics, and hidden stuff, Morrowind.

If you enjoy hack and slashing, and just kind of running on rails, Oblivion.

Originally posted by Garvon3

If you enjoy dungeons, exploration, storyline, politics, and hidden stuff, Morrowind.

I wish you guys would stop that. one can have as much freedom on Oblvion that they can have in morrowind as far as the world goes.

It doesn't have as varied a world, that is true, but you can essentially leave the prison and do what you'd like.

There are also some amazing mods for Oblvion.

Ivellon is one of the scariest dungeon crawls I've ever had. Provided one follows the instructions and just use a torch. in any case I voted Morrowind, though I hated the combat.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Sovrath

I wish you guys would stop that. one can have as much freedom on Oblvion that they can have in morrowind as far as the world goes.

It doesn't have as varied a world, that is true, but you can essentially leave the prison and do what you'd like.

Ivellon is one of the scariest dungeon crawls I've ever had. Provided one follows the instructions and just use a torch. in any case I voted Morrowind, though I hated the combat.

I think it's more that Morrowind has better dungeons, exploration, storyline, politics and hidden stuff while Oblivion has better hack and slashing and 'rails' (whatever that means).

You can roam Oblivion's world without any problems, but I didn't find it nearly as exciting as roaming Morrowind's world.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

Originally posted by gobla

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think it's more that Morrowind has better dungeons, exploration, storyline, politics and hidden stuff while Oblivion has better hack and slashing and 'rails' (whatever that means).

You can roam Oblivion's world without any problems, but I didn't find it nearly as exciting as roaming Morrowind's world.

Morrowind has a more interesting "world' to explore, I'll give you that.