Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't read the future and predict ways of stopping death? You might be charged with manslaughter

FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/27/italian-scientist-charged-manslaughter-failing-predict-earthquake/?test=latestnews

Reading that news story made my brain hurt...And then it made me realize that our world really is going to shit.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

And even if they had predicted it, there is no way in telling of the goverment would have cared for the warning. We have all been warned for the second "big one" in San Francisco....but noone cares.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Welcome to the modern "mob rules" democratic and judicial process we have delved into in the past several years.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I saw this yesterday in the news.  It has got to be one of the most insane things I have ever read.  People have become obsessed with finding a scapegoat for every disaster.  Now it's reached the point where scientists are expected to foresee coming earthquakes.  There should be about as much outcry over this as for the woman the Iranians want to stone for committing adultery.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Its the European legal process which is probably why the US has the best legal process in the world.

• VenDyneVenDyne Member Posts: 51

Dead if you do, dead if you don't. It's almost as bad as divorce court (if you're male). At least this one just happened once. 

It really makes you wonder why the court EVER decided that. I mean, what in the world were they thinking!?!

Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crud."