Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MO = Oblivion meets an MMO?

NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I have been trying to scour over all the threads to find information on this game.

Is Mortal Online the MMO version of Oblivion? Oblivion is my favorite all-time RPG, and a few people have given me this comparison, so I had to ask.

Currently looking for a new game to get into now that I have some free time. I apologize if this was answered in previous threads, but as I tried going through the Mortal Online subforum here I only found mostly posts by other gaming site reviews who either did not properly review the game, or people who are basing the game around the initial impressions at launch and passive agressively bashing the game. Considering it's been a long time since launch, I am looking for updated information and not impressions from launch.

Is Mortal Online laggy?

Does rubber-banding exist similar to Darkfall couple months ago?

Are their definitive class roles or is everyone forced into the hybrid Fighter/Mage/Archer class-combo?

How is the population? This is a tough question and I am not expecting an answer, please no speculation. If there is no definitive proof then it doesn't count.

How large is the MO client for the Trial and how long is the Trial in terms of play period? I am on a sketchy connection, so just downloading the trial and giving it a go is not a viable option just yet.

Comments

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Originally posted by Nevulus

I have been trying to scour over all the threads to find information on this game.

Is Mortal Online the MMO version of Oblivion? Oblivion is my favorite all-time RPG, and a few people have given me this comparison, so I had to ask.

Currently looking for a new game to get into now that I have some free time. I apologize if this was answered in previous threads, but as I tried going through the Mortal Online subforum here I only found mostly posts by other gaming site reviews who either did not properly review the game, or people who are basing the game around the initial impressions at launch and passive agressively bashing the game. Considering it's been a long time since launch, I am looking for updated information and not impressions from launch.

Is Mortal Online laggy?

Are their definitive class roles or is everyone forced into the hybrid Fighter/Mage/Archer class-combo?

How is the population? This is a tough question and I am not expecting an answer, please no speculation. If there is no definitive proof then it doesn't count.

How large is the MO client for the Trial and how long is the Trial in terms of play period? I am on a sketchy connection, so just downloading the trial and giving it a go is not a viable option just yet.

Okay, first of all, if you enjoy Oblivion, then I'd suggest Mount & Blade over MO, which is just horrible in comparison,

Is Mortal Online laggy?

Yes, it is.

Yes, it does.

How is the population? 

Population is very low, so low infact, that it takes special effort to recruit newbs.

How large is the MO client for the Trial and how long is the Trial in terms of play period? MO client is fairly small for all their horrible decisions, you get to enjoy their full free trial of 14 days.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

MO is nothing like Oblivion.  I do not know who told you that but they should be shot.  Oblivion is also one of my favorite RPGS!!! 

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

It's not that laggy, and not that rubberbandy.  Some people say otherwise, but it's tough to say if anyone on this particular forum actually plays the game or if they'll say anything to convince you this game sucks.

But yeah, oblivion is primarily quest-based, MO doesn't have quests (minus a few starter tutorial quests... the expansion's gonna add the ability for players to create quests, but we're probably looking at mid-june for that, and I can't speak for features I haven't tried yet).  MO is also a bit grittier than Oblivion; oblivion has shimmery towers and massive towns... MO is more like dirty villages with a few big towns but with much more primitive art stylings.   The combat's pretty similiar I guess, but it's tough to compare single-player vs. MMO, since obviously concessions have to be made in the latter.

There's a free trial, give it a shot.  It'd be foolish to trust anyone's word on the matter, which for the sake of completeness includes mine.

Last tip:  If you're not sure if you want to try the game, at least download the client.  (you can find it here:  http://www.mortalonline.com/download-game-client  ).  You don't need an account to download the game and patch it up, and it takes awhile so if you decide to take the leap you can start playing right away).

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Nevulus

Is Mortal Online laggy?

No

Rubber banding has been fixed combat is smoother then ever.

No definitive class roles.  There's just skills and you pick and choose what skills you want.  The catch is there is a skill point limit.

Population is higher now then it's been in the past 6 months.

It will take about 2 hours to download.  I don't remember off the top of my head how many gigs..

Anyone else who says anything to the contrary is lying.  StarVault got there shit together and it's an entirely different game now then when it was released last June.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

I love when people say the pop is higher than ever.  I did 2 trials and had trouble finding people.  You can even go to the official website and long time players are saying that pop is low. 

25th May 2011, 14:07

Rep Power: 1 malcster505 is an unknown quantity at this point!!

I've not had the pleasure of meeting you before, but welcome back nontheless.

Don't be too disappointed at the current population ingame. Dawn (fingers crossed) should be bringining in a lot of fresh blood, but also bringing back a lot of players from virtually every active guild.

[AQ]Alfie - http://anquer-quare.eu/

http://www.youtube.com/user/malcster505 (Some AQ PvP Videos)

Quote:

<[ArGo]Lover> I don't mind exploiting.

Rep Power: 1 marioch666 is an unknown quantity at this point!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcster505 View Post

I've not had the pleasure of meeting you before, but welcome back nontheless.

Don't be too disappointed at the current population ingame. Dawn (fingers crossed) should be bringining in a lot of fresh blood, but also bringing back a lot of players from virtually every active guild.

Exactly, welcome back

Quote:

Originally Posted by iewcce View Post

Id prefer if girl horsies had pink hairbands and the boi horsies has pic of transformer on their side.

http://www.ivth.es

Personally I will take the word of a couple AQ members since all they do is ride around the whole map and kill anything that moves.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

OP... the population is widely acknowledged as really low.  The game is below the number of subs they need to stay afloat.

That said.. if you are interested your best bet would be to wait until the new DAWN expansion launches.  Then give it a free trial (be sure not to input any credit card info).  When the expansion releases it is anticipated that many people will check back in on the game.. so that it going to be the best time to find an active population.

Good Luck!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

No No and no, its nothing close to oblivion. Oblivion and all the elder scrolls series have been the best RPG games ever, the cream of the crop. Oblivion has some of the most gorgeous graphics ever seen, some of the best level design and gameplay.

MO and oblivion don't belong in the same sentence. This thread is an insult to Oblivion and those who designed it.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Is MO like Oblivion? answer is NO it isnt really like oblivion however it is more like oblivion than any other MMO so i understand were your friend is coming from. But with some of the features coming in dawn (pickables) and future content like alchemy the game moves closer and closer to oblivion and further away from any other mmo.

The games population currently is low but the subscriptions havent really changed. So why is the pop ingame low but the subscription count still high? simple answer is people arent playing as often since they are waiting for the dawn expansion. I expect a large population increase as soon as dawn releases. Infact its a dead cert. However will the expansion keep those new palyers playing we can only find out.

Truth is MO isnt like any other mmo out there, i have played a good number of mmos some i would consider better and others worse. But the truth is i have palyed MO more than any other mmo i have paid money for. Reason for this is MO is unique in a world of generic WOW clones.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607

Originally posted by raff01

No No and no, its nothing close to oblivion. Oblivion and all the elder scrolls series have been the best RPG games ever, the cream of the crop. Oblivion has some of the most gorgeous graphics ever seen, some of the best level design and gameplay.

MO and oblivion don't belong in the same sentence. This thread is an insult to Oblivion and those who designed it.

Words of truth and wisdom. Heed them.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

Originally posted by deathshroud

Is MO like Oblivion? answer is NO it isnt really like oblivion however it is more like oblivion than any other MMO so i understand were your friend is coming from. But with some of the features coming in dawn (pickables) and future content like alchemy the game moves closer and closer to oblivion and further away from any other mmo.

The games population currently is low but the subscriptions havent really changed. So why is the pop ingame low but the subscription count still high? simple answer is people arent playing as often since they are waiting for the dawn expansion. I expect a large population increase as soon as dawn releases. Infact its a dead cert. However will the expansion keep those new palyers playing we can only find out.

Truth is MO isnt like any other mmo out there, i have played a good number of mmos some i would consider better and others worse. But the truth is i have palyed MO more than any other mmo i have paid money for. Reason for this is MO is unique in a world of generic WOW clones.

I do not agree on the Oblivion thing.  I love Oblivion and after 2 trials I can not make myself pay for MO.  I am going to give it another trial after Dawn.  I agree it is not a WoW clone but I would rather play a game that works than not play a WoW clone or play a WoW clone.  Or a game that has content.   By all the subs you claim that are there but not playing points to the fact there is no content that is making them play but they are waiting for it.

Where on the official forums does it show current subscriptions?  Since you say the subs have not changed.

the subscription info was in their latest ifnancial report.

MO isnt like oblivion that is true, I have palyed Redguard, daggerfall, morrowind and oblivion and enjoyed them all i am a big fan of the elderscrolls also. But if someone asked me which MMO if i had to name one was more like oblivion than any other MMO i would have to say MO.  Whilst there is a lack of content in MO for me, i have been palying over a year so for new players content really insnt an issue.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

I just resubbed 2 days ago (i havent played since launch) and i have too say the population is alot larger then i expected, i see people all over the place, and the 3 citys ive been to so far has people all around.

I would say the population is around medium :) not too big but certenly not a very small population.

On topic tough, MO does have some features similar too Oblivion, like its FPV,  uses skillpoints in the same way as oblivion does and your free to do anything you want like in. If you wanna steal from another player you can, if you wanna kill him and take all his shit you can. etc. But its very diffrent in alot of aspects too.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

yea this is true, the population isnt that bad. Its just that me and my guild (aq) pvp alot our main focus is pvp. And often when we consider the server to be empty it really isnt, its jsut those who come out to fight us arent online meaning its full of players who do not wish to pvp. Still though we get plenty of fights regularly but with dawn it will be whenever we want them hopefully. Unfortunalty for everone else not when they want them :)

the subscription info was in their latest ifnancial report.

MO isnt like oblivion that is true, I have palyed Redguard, daggerfall, morrowind and oblivion and enjoyed them all i am a big fan of the elderscrolls also. But if someone asked me which MMO if i had to name one was more like oblivion than any other MMO i would have to say MO.  Whilst there is a lack of content in MO for me, i have been palying over a year so for new players content really insnt an issue.

For the past year Henrik never gives numbers on subs he just igves forum subs.  And if you are thinking they needed 1500 subs they now only need 1000.  Remember they also are at half staff now.  Downsizing would make it so they need less subs to be profitable.

Originally posted by Proson

I just resubbed 2 days ago (i havent played since launch) and i have too say the population is alot larger then i expected, i see people all over the place, and the 3 citys ive been to so far has people all around.

I would say the population is around medium :) not too big but certenly not a very small population.

On topic tough, MO does have some features similar too Oblivion, like its FPV,  uses skillpoints in the same way as oblivion does and your free to do anything you want like in. If you wanna steal from another player you can, if you wanna kill him and take all his shit you can. etc. But its very diffrent in alot of aspects too.

Long time players on the Offical forums seem to differ.  I read all the time the pop is low.  I guess it is subjective. 

so you have been following Mo a long time i see. But you have only had 2 trial accounts recently?

population is low when you compare the game to other mmos, it isnt low that it ruins playing mo however. But for people focused on pvp there are highs and lows when it comes to getting action, we are all adrenaline junkies and we want our fix constantly going from 1 fight to the next. for someone who hasnt played since early release the population might seem good, because its higher than it was a mnoth after release however dawn will hopefully bring the population up to that first month of releases.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by Moreplex

Originally posted by Proson

Long time players on the Offical forums seem to differ.  I read all the time the pop is low.  I guess it is subjective. 

Well, if you compare it too a populated WoW server then its VERY VERY LOW, but for a game like this i think its fairly good population. I atleast had no problems finding people too make stuff and mounts for me etc, and the citys were fairly populated, atleast 15-20 people each in the 3 citys i was in and i see a decent amount of people out in the wildlife. Compared to DCUO for example i see ALOT more people running around in MO then DCUO.

Also remember that since it has only 1 server for the whole world population might seem low for US players because of the time zone etc.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

Yes I have I was waiting for a free trial.  I was debating going ahead and buying it over and over.  I love UO and I was looking for a game that captured it in a new age.  But I never saw a good review and I saw tons of bad press on the game.  I have been following it hoping for a miracle patch to see good reviews. 

Coming from UO and seeing people say it is like UO almost made me buy it.  I am glad the trial came because it is not like UO.  I mean it has soem stuff taken and badly implemented from UO but thats where I would say it ends being "like UO".

MO is also a very social game, you cannot really play this game alone considering you only have 3 character slots, starting out is tough and not enough skill ponits on 3 characters to cover every proffesion. The game forces you to interact with other players. Sometimes in the form of trade, pvp or generally helpnig them out. But MO is a game for groups you need to find other players ingame and play with them regularly and joining a guild is highly recommended for any new player.

simply making money from a pig requires that you know a player who can butcher your pig carcass once you have slain the foul beast and hauled its dead corpse back to town.

MO is also a very social game, you cannot really play this game alone considering you only have 3 character slots, starting out is tough and not enough skill ponits on 3 characters to cover every proffesion. The game forces you to interact with other players. Sometimes in the form of trade, pvp or generally helpnig them out. But MO is a game for groups you need to find other players ingame and play with them regularly and joining a guild is highly recommended for any new player.

simply making money from a pig requires that you know a player who can butcher your pig carcass once you have slain the foul beast and hauled its dead corpse back to town.

Thats what really killed it for me.  I like being social but if I am forced to wait for people to make my way in the world I do not like it. 

People told me in game a way to make money is to kill animals gather the meat and sell it to players.  Problem was.  I seriously waited for 30 mins to an hour to find someone that wanted to buy it.  I have a job and a wife.  I have very limited game time.  I do not want to waste it sitting and yelling "SELLING MEAT".

I do not understand why mobs do not drop the gear they are wearing.  Are they ever going to change that?

EDIT!

And I also understand a game forcing you to be social.  But a game that forces you to be social with no social tools what so ever is a shot in the dick.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

What kind of mobs do they have in-game?

From the videos I've seen, all I saw was some weasels and rats. Never any dragons, undead, goblins, minotaurs, etc etc

The huminoids I saw were.  Ratmen, Risar, and Skeleton.  I killed a bunch of ratmen that had spears and armor and all I could get from them was thier meat from butchering the body.  The skeletons really pissed me off.  The advertise destructable spawners.  It is basically a headstone like thing that spawns the skeles.  Since it was advertised on the website I thought hey I bet it gives you comething cool if you destroy it.  NOPE.  And it took me better part of 45 mins to kill the headstone and the skeles.  And the skeles dropped worse loot than a springbok which is a deer.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Oblivion>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MO

whilst oblivion is undoubtedly the better game, out of the 2 i have played mo probably 3hours per day for 1 year. Compared to oblivion which i played a total of 30 hours.  MO offers something for me i cant get in oblivion. Regardless of how better made oblvion is it isnt an mmo.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I guess some just did not read the post at all. This is not a MO/Oblivion comparison. It is unfair to compare a Singleplayer RPG to a MMO.

I only asked: "Is Mortal Online the MMO version of Oblivion?"

I was looking into trying MO, so I asked a friend what he thought about the game, and his response was "Mo is kind of like Oblivion meets a MMO in beta stage"

So I came to the forums to find out how the game is doing directly from people actually playing the game.