Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it going to be another tab targetting game

There, I said it. Wll it follow the same path as every MMO before it and be sticky targetting game or take the FPS route we've seen on the jedi games?

Afaik, I've played a SW-game that was non-tab targetting and had an awesome PvP.

What will it be?

Comments

• Originally posted by Pelaaja

There, I said it. Wll it follow the same path as every MMO before it and be sticky targetting game or take the FPS route we've seen on the jedi games? Afaik, I've played a SW-game that was non-tab targetting and had an awesome PvP. What will it be?

TOR uses tab targeting like most mmos

• Hendo0069Hendo0069 Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Pelaaja

There, I said it. Wll it follow the same path as every MMO before it and be sticky targetting game or take the FPS route we've seen on the jedi games? Afaik, I've played a SW-game that was non-tab targetting and had an awesome PvP. What will it be?

Love me some Jedi Knight and Battlefront, but no this is a tab targeting game.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

This is an MMORPG and BioWare has stated that they don't want to do anything particularly new with that formula, besides the voice and story-line elements.  So I'd be willing to garantee that SWTOR will have "Tab Targeting".   And honestly speaking that's what I think most people expect.  I just hope they have ways of "gaining cover", that don't cause "line of sight" issues which make the game practically unplayable.  What I don't want is an attempt to make this an MMOFPS.  Latency issues tend to wreck FPS gameplay when the servers aren't fairly close by... At least that's what my experience leads me to believe.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Yep,it's another tab targeting game which is fine by me. I hate FPS games.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

What's all the fuzz about Tab targeting? I really don't get it why poeple continue to bring this issue up like it will have a major impact on the game experience . Yes, like most MMO's TOR will have this feature, however NO ONE forces you to use it. And you should NOT. Using Tab to acquire targets both in PvE and PvP is a sign of a bad, real bad player.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

All tab targetting games are the same.  All FPS games are the same.

Of all the generalizations that people have developed for MMOs, "tab targetting" has got to be the most absurd.  Actually makes "WOW clone" look good.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

There will be pvp, but the game is not going to be based around it (just endlessly balanced because of it), so I would imagine there is not going to be a fps style of targetting. If there is tab targeting, just don't use it and that way you can have the PVP moral high ground.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

There is at least 11 million people who think tab targeting is fine.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Originally posted by Cannyone

This is an MMORPG and BioWare has stated that they don't want to do anything particularly new with that formula, besides the voice and story-line elements.  So I'd be willing to garantee that SWTOR will have "Tab Targeting".   And honestly speaking that's what I think most people expect.  I just hope they have ways of "gaining cover", that don't cause "line of sight" issues which make the game practically unplayable.  What I don't want is an attempt to make this an MMOFPS.  Latency issues tend to wreck FPS gameplay when the servers aren't fairly close by... At least that's what my experience leads me to believe.

i don't think im reading this right but did want to comment one thing about taking cover in regards to pve(not sure if it works the same in pvp). if you are a cover class, when you select an enemy and push a certain button(i think it is Shift), arrows show up that indicate all available cover points.  the best cover spots in regards to line of site are indicated in green.  if you are in one of those spots you actually get a boost to your attack in addition to the defence bonus.  if not in one of the optimal spots(indicated by grey arrows) you just get the defence boost.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by sinjin

There is at least 11 million people who think tab targeting is fine.

or they don't know any better.

I personally like tab targetting though.  The problem you get with other types of games is latency issues.  The US doesn't has a top-notch infrastructure for the internet, like korea does.  The biggest problem every FPS game has is latency (as long as it's a decent game of course).

P.S. Well, I should say the US doesn't have a top-notch infrastructure for public use.  There's several intranets for the government and privately owned networks, that rival any.  For the most part the US doesn't even come close.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

This thread seems almost as useless as a thread complaining about button mashing.  Let's face it for every persoan that dislikes the tab targeting there are dozens more that do and prove it by not playing MMOFPS type games.  As much as I dislike WoW, just look at the subscription numbers compared to say the entire market of MMOFPS games.

I almost wonder if the people complaining about the tab targeting are the exact same ones that claim button mashing on a XBox controller is better than button mashing on a keyboard.  Personally, I would rather set up my attacks on 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 than trying to remember x, x, y, up, down, and L1 for that great combo!

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Seriously, the naysayers are really reaching if they are going to hit TOR for tab targeting. Hitting it for linear themepark gameplay, sure. But tab targetting? Really guys?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Wll it follow the same path as every MMO before it 

The Chronicles of Spellborn didnt, and Fallen Earth doesnt.......but SWTOR - yeah its gonna be tab targetting.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by ktanner3

Seriously, the naysayers are really reaching if they are going to hit TOR for tab targeting. Hitting it for linear themepark gameplay, sure. But tab targetting? Really guys?

What's wrong with you? We should be hitting Call of Duty/Battlefield/Every FPS ever for 'all you do is hit left mouse button!' Can't you see the logic? /sarcasm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Honeslty they better do a tab targeting system rather than a half assed fps system. Fps combat doesn't work very well in mmo  for now, it progress but its still not very good, let be honest. A good formula for fps in mmo wasn't set yet. In fact the only "good" fps sword combat system i know is from M&B and it can't be ported in mmos. Now bioware didn't want to take risk neither the reward that could have come in implementing a good fps system in mmo, thats their choice.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Of course it's gonna be that way.

Therefore I rather stick with Tera. Why? Intuitive Combat and AIMING. Brings much more fun than the regular "lock target" and push 1-2-3-4 in order to win /yawn - mechanics.

We ... all ... know ... them ... since ... day ... one. It is time for something new.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

BW are playing it safe and going tab-targeting.  They say they are making a next gen game but are too afraid to push the envelope so next gen for them means "voice overs". 

It's probably a smart move on their part because tab targeting can be fun IF done right.  But man is it getting old.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by stragen001

Wll it follow the same path as every MMO before it 

The Chronicles of Spellborn didnt, and Fallen Earth doesnt.......but SWTOR - yeah its gonna be tab targetting.

COS had a decent combat system I'll give you that, clumsy IMO but decent. Fallen Earth? Really? You're going to use that as an example of an alternative to a Tab system? If anything that game speaks on behalf of tab target systems. A for effort to Icarus(SP?) but there are so many flaws in that system, I don't even know where to begin. I'll just say it was basically SWG NGE all over again.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by ktanner3

I think the point is that the OP is annoyed over the old outdated MMO combat formula of syncronished combat.

Removing "auto-attack" or whatever does not deal with the symptoms of the very un-exciting action.

Watch a gameplay video of Ninja Gaiden or something. Thats smooth combat. thats how it should feel to dismember someone with a lightsaber.

but it doesn't in SWTOR. The animations, sounds, and the way everything works together.. it just doesn't ad up. They have this great developer and great IP and they treat it like garbage by throwing this very dull looking combat in there. people are hoping that they will please change it, because lots of us have had enough.

TAB targetting is just symptom, not the problem itself.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Kalfer

Watch a gameplay video of Ninja Gaiden or something.

I kind of stopped taking your post seriously there. For the obvious reasons.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Malickie

Originally posted by Kalfer

Watch a gameplay video of Ninja Gaiden or something.

I kind of stopped taking your post seriously there. For the obvious reasons.

Yeah, Internet serious business dud.

TERA and GW2 has better fluid transistions in their animations now than NG had...

But it took long enough... NG came out in 04.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by Cannyone

i don't think im reading this right but did want to comment one thing about taking cover in regards to pve(not sure if it works the same in pvp). if you are a cover class, when you select an enemy and push a certain button(i think it is Shift), arrows show up that indicate all available cover points.  the best cover spots in regards to line of site are indicated in green.  if you are in one of those spots you actually get a boost to your attack in addition to the defence bonus.  if not in one of the optimal spots(indicated by grey arrows) you just get the defence boost.

Yeah I was aware that in SWTOR some classes will be able to get "cover", much as you describe.  I was just voicing a concern about how that might affect "Line of Sight".  Which is something that lots of MMORPGs have got wrong in the past. 

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Its not so much hitting the TAB key that we hate, its the fact that the combat in TOR dosnt seem to offer anything new, I would like some slightly more complex combat that requires more skill then hitting 1,2,3, 1,2,3,1,2,3,5

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by crunk001

Of course it's gonna be that way.

Therefore I rather stick with Tera. Why? Intuitive Combat and AIMING. Brings much more fun than the regular "lock target" and push 1-2-3-4 in order to win /yawn - mechanics.

We ... all ... know ... them ... since ... day ... one. It is time for something new.

+1 to you.

TAB target is old, I want something new as well.

TAB target just makes the game feel like any other MMO I've played before...

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Better something old that works than something new that does not.

if that where the case we would all be livng in caves still.

This discussion has been closed.